Random Music Talk XCVI - Counting Down Cobbler's Return to America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Listenin' to ATLiens in honor of Cobl04 seeing Outkast. Haven't heard this forever.

I like this stuff way better than Love Below/Speakerboxxx

Fact.

I have a few things going for me in L.A., but none of them official, unfortunately. I just needed to make the move or I was never going to be considered for anything.

I'd been on my own all day, and as I walked to the stage, I ran into a bloke called Caleb, a black guy from Phoenix. Turns out, he is as big an Outkast fan as me - when I asked him what songs he was hoping for the first one he named was Hootie Hoo. Not sure if that was big back in 1994 but that's about as obscure an Outkast album cut as you can get. I was also with a group of people, and they were also so stoked for me, loved my back story, really respected it and not in an joking way, as most people here have done, which is so cool. Me and Caleb were rapping songs in the lead-up, SpottieOttie, Aquemini, Hootie Hoo, ATLiens, 13th Floor. And you guys too. I post like an idiot here all the time but to read posts like Bomac's, about being excited to hear my thoughts post-gig, means a lot.

I was about 10 metres back

10154015_10152127418816843_4337887924330352393_n.jpg

Here's their set

B.O.B.
Gasoline Dreams
ATLiens
Skew it on the Bar-B
Rosa Parks
Da Art of Storytellin pt 1
Aquemini
SpottieOttieDopalicious
Ms Jackson
Big Boi solo - Kryptonite I'm on it, Ghettomusick, The Way You Move
Three Stacks solo - Vibrate, She Lives in My Lap, Prototype, Hey Ya!
Hootie Hoo
Crumblin Erb
Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik
Players Ball
Elevators
Roses
So Fresh So Clean
International Players Anthem
The Whole World

Now first things first - I managed to avoid most of the coverage of weekend one. Didn't watch the stream, didn't look at the hip-hop thread, didn't read reviews, scrolled past facebook posts and tweets. I of course saw a few and heard a few comments, and I knew most everyone was disappointed.

Maybe this weekend was better than last weekend, I don't know. BUT THEY FUCKING KILLED THE SHIT. None of the above tempered my expectations and hopes (which were astronomically high) but I wasn't worried. I knew they would pull it off. Why? Because they're fucking Outkast. They're the best there is in hip-hop. The second I saw that it was gonna be a full live band I knew it was going to be fucking awesome. And it was.

Of all the songs to come out to, THEY COME OUT TO MOTHERFUCKING BOMBS OVER BAGHDAD. It's like, "ohh hey, we're Outkast, remember us? Remember how we were once the most important and biggest rap group on the planet? One of a miniscule number of artists who were critically acclaimed and also massively popular at the same fucking time? Yeah, we are the fucking best, and we're gonna fucking remind you how fucking good we are by blowing your motherfucking faces off in the first two fucking seconds."

I won't go through every song, I'm sitting at the computers and I'm pretty wrecked and my drink is running out, and otherwise I'll be here for another two hours. But I'll keep writing.

I saw Big Boi back in 2010, and it fucking ruled. But I really can't explain how unbelievable it is to see him paired with Andre 3000. In my opinion 3000 is the greatest rapper there has ever been. Probably no one here will share that opinion but for me it's true. He can rap fast, slow, sing, change his pitch. He can rap hard-ass motherfucking verses like on BOB and Gasoline Dreams (WHAT A FUCKING START, MY FUCKING GOD) and then he can slow it down and reflect on life like on Elevators and Storytellin.

I felt fucking horrible for Stacks because the crowd fucking sucked. They didn't give him the cheers, the clapping, the respect that he craved, and it was obvious. He tried to lift the crowd and didn't get much and said 'whatever' a few times. It was heartbreaking for me, because it was such an amazing set and at 38 years old he's still as fucking sharp as he has ever been. It broke my fucking heart to see him rap amazing verses like the one on Aquemini and only get polite applause and cheers in return.

Da Art of Storytellin pt 1, for those that don't know, is my favourite Outkast song. And when it started, that warm, deep, anxious, contemplative, spacey beat, I sort of half-collapsed in amazement. It was the one expectation that I tempered - they may not play Storytellin. Be prepared to accept that. So it came as a surprise and I lost myself in it. It's an incredible song. Big Boi the playa who gets a blowjob from a hot girl but couldn't fuck her because his baby mumma called. And then Andre, the lovelorn stargazer whose heart broke when the girl of his Oscar Wilde dreams died from a heroin overdose, baby two months due.

Hearing Storytellin for me was like hearing Weird Fishes/Arpeggi. Like hearing Where the Streets Have No Name. Like hearing Jungleland. Like hearing Race for the Prize. Like hearing All My Friends. Like theoretically hearing Life on Mars? or Brain Damage/Eclipse.

When I saw the horns wheeled out on stage, I said to Caleb that we were going to get SpottieOttie. I didn't know for sure, but again, I didn't doubt it for a second. This was Outkast. And they were never going to let me down. They brought out Sleepy Brown (who also sang his parts from Way You Move, Southernplaya, Players Ball and So Fresh So Clean). I hoped he would be here and he was. Sadly they cut it off after Sleepy Brown, but I don't want to whinge about that. There was more than enough there for us super fans.

The solo parts were cool as well and didn't last that long. Ghettomusick ruled, to hear the beat from Vibrate was insane, that beat is fucking wicked. She Lives in My Lap was the song that Andre was most visibly annoyed with the crowd. I was so angry because I know how big of a deal it is for Andre to do this again. You only need to listen to his verse on Sorry with TI that was only released like 16 months ago to understand that. And I could almost see him thinking "fuck this man. They don't love this. Have I made the wrong decision?" I was gutted, but it was still amazing.

The Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik stretch was so awesome. (Also Aquemini, the title track, was unbelievable, very nearly the highlight. During it they played inside this cube thing, and they told us stories about how when they were starting out they used to rap around a kitchen table, so they walked around a kitchen table rapping the verses (which are some of the best you will ever find in hip-hop. All four verses are fucking jaw-dropping, mind-blowing) and the music sounded amaaaaaaazing.

Elevators was fucking sensational. Admittedly you do lose a bit of the subtlety of it live, that introspective woodblock-knock beat is swallowed up live, but they adapted it well, and again, to hear Andre rap those immortal lines .... "true I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me to the end of the week" .... was a true fucking privilege. Like hearing Bruce sing "they wind up wounded, not even dead". Like hearing Bono sing "it's all I can do". Like hearing Thom Yorke sing "I hit the bottom and escape". Like hearing James Murphy sing "you can sleep on the plane or review what you said". Like theoretically hearing Bowie sing "it's the best-selling show" or Roger Waters sing "and everything under the sun is tune".

Roses, along with Hey Ya!, is a song that I have loved dearly for 11 years, and I have rapped it a million times, from my bedroom, to my car, to parties, to nightclubs across the world. When people hear it, they send me texts, facebook posts, tweets, saying "I heard Roses/Hey Ya! and thought of you!!!!!!!!" And it was even fucking better live, horns, Andre smiling, Big Boi killing his verse, the "better come back down to Mars" and "crazy bitch" bits. Intl Players Anthem was a huge surprise and sounded fucking amazing with horns and the awesome female backup singers and The Whole World was a great closer with Killer Mike (damned if I wasn't slightly bummed they brought him out a song earlier and they ripped into Snappin & Trappin - "our shit don't mix like llao and lukewarm water ... I oughta duct tape your infant daughter ... one motherfucking verse already it's a classic ... attempted murder dick for ways I choke chicks spit it in her eye make it hard to focus").

I truly loved it. There's a video coming of me rapping along to Storytellin. I did my best to pump up the crowd. I tried to get their attention but failed, but that's okay. The performance was enough. I'm going to try and get in contact with them to tell them how much it meant to me.

Listenin' to ATLiens in honor of Cobl04 seeing Outkast. Haven't heard this forever.

I like this stuff way better than Love Below/Speakerboxxx

I fucking love Spkrbxxx/TBL (there's a thread by me from ages ago that said it was the best rap album ever haha), but yeah, it's no competition for ATLiens. That album is one of a kind. Nearly 20 years on it still sounds like it was made in the future. A hip-hop album that you cannot dance to, you just bob your head in agreement, and in amazement that rappers can write such amazing verses as Andre's verse on Two Dope Boyz, Big Boi's opening verse on ATLiens, Andre on Elevators, Big, Andre, Khujo and T-Mo on Mainstream. Big and Andre and Big Rube on 13th Floor.

First three albums >>>>>>> next three albums

You fucking love Stankonia. I swear I've seen you post that it's your second favourite after Aquemini.

That's epic Cobbler, so glad you were able to get there. Great stuff. :up:

Glad you got to see them, cobbs. I might be hitting them up at Lolla.

Meanwhile, I've failed twice to make it all the way through the new Lana Del Rey single.

You fucking love Stankonia. I swear I've seen you post that it's your second favourite after Aquemini.

I changed my mind! Well, I still think it's a superb record, but I think the first three have surpassed it for me. People underestimate the insanely high level of quality all over Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik. I don't know that Outkast had a bad song until Mamacita. :lol: Stankonia is, of course, far more innovative.

Thrilled to know you had a great time. If I do see them for myself, I know I have a classic show ahead of me.

Awesome review cobbler.

B.O.B. worked great as an opener. It looks like they paced the setlist better this time. I was really hoping for Southernplaylisticadillacmusik on the live stream. Glad you got it. I'm kinda surprised Big Boi didn't bring back Shutterbug, that seemed to get one of the better responses from the crowd on night 1.

You could see 3000 frustration with the crowd on the stream as well. I guess its hard to expect more from a festival crowd though? 1/3 of the crowd was probably too young to remember Speakerboxx/Love Below, let alone any of the earlier stuff....and another good portion was at Coachella just to see Muse or Arcade Fire.

I fucking love Spkrbxxx/TBL (there's a thread by me from ages ago that said it was the best rap album ever haha), but yeah, it's no competition for ATLiens. That album is one of a kind. Nearly 20 years on it still sounds like it was made in the future. A hip-hop album that you cannot dance to, you just bob your head in agreement, and in amazement that rappers can write such amazing verses as Andre's verse on Two Dope Boyz, Big Boi's opening verse on ATLiens, Andre on Elevators, Big, Andre, Khujo and T-Mo on Mainstream. Big and Andre and Big Rube on 13th Floor.

Yep. I really like the title track, 13th Floor and Babylon.

Ha, cobbs, your adventure has me listening to Outkast for the first time in probably two or three years. God damn, I'm getting chills listening to some of these songs. They really are the best.

People seemed more aggressive at Record Store Day this year. More pushing and shoving than I remember.

Got what I came for: Tame Impala, Cut Copy, Disclosure. Also grabbed the Nirvana 7".

Didn't hang around too long because it was impossible to just browse the bins.

Fuckin' A, Cobbler. So happy for you. :)

That is also very fuckin' lame about people being dicks at Record Store Day. In Bellevue, no less.

Well, I thought I worked up the courage to finally move my itunes to an external hard drive to free up some space on my computer, but every time I look at the instructions to do it, I freeze up. I can't even put any new songs or photos on my computer, it's so full, and I know I have to move my music, but it seems unreasonably lame and difficult. Danny, I bookmarked that link you gave me months ago, but even that seems difficult. And helpful google searches just talk about all the problems people have.

I just want my music on a hard drive, and then be able to stick a cd into my computer and have the new music appear in the itunes on the new hard drive, and then when I plug my ipod in, it connects to the itunes on the new hard drive.

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Well, I thought I worked up the courage to finally move my itunes to an external hard drive to free up some space on my computer, but every time I look at the instructions to do it, I freeze up. I can't even put any new songs or photos on my computer, it's so full, and I know I have to move my music, but it seems unreasonably lame and difficult. Danny, I bookmarked that link you gave me months ago, but even that seems difficult. And helpful google searches just talk about all the problems people have.

I just want my music on a hard drive, and then be able to stick a cd into my computer and have the new music appear in the itunes on the new hard drive, and then when I plug my ipod in, it connects to the itunes on the new hard drive.

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

it shouldn't be too bad as long as the drive will be plugged in all the time. I wish I had a screen sharing program so I could do the transfer and setup with you...I'll do some research today and see what I can find.

as for the cord, you can buy separate FireWire cords for hard drives (assuming you still have a FireWire port open)

Thanks all :)

I changed my mind! Well, I still think it's a superb record, but I think the first three have surpassed it for me. People underestimate the insanely high level of quality all over Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik. I don't know that Outkast had a bad song until Mamacita. :lol: Stankonia is, of course, far more innovative.

Thrilled to know you had a great time. If I do see them for myself, I know I have a classic show ahead of me.

Ah I see! Yeah, Southernplaya is a classic in my view. P-funk perfection from start to finish. And :lol: at Mamacita being the song you pick as their first bad one, I agree, I'm not a fan. About the only failure on Aquemini.

See them if you can. You'll love it.

Awesome review cobbler.

B.O.B. worked great as an opener. It looks like they paced the setlist better this time. I was really hoping for Southernplaylisticadillacmusik on the live stream. Glad you got it. I'm kinda surprised Big Boi didn't bring back Shutterbug, that seemed to get one of the better responses from the crowd on night 1.

You could see 3000 frustration with the crowd on the stream as well. I guess its hard to expect more from a festival crowd though? 1/3 of the crowd was probably too young to remember Speakerboxx/Love Below, let alone any of the earlier stuff....and another good portion was at Coachella just to see Muse or Arcade Fire.

Yep. I really like the title track, 13th Floor and Babylon.

Yeah. I feel like Andre would have been much happier if they did club shows, where tracks like the older and more obscure stuff would have got a massive reaction.

:up: Babylon is massively underrated, as is Millennium, which has a real anxious vibe to it.

Ha, cobbs, your adventure has me listening to Outkast for the first time in probably two or three years. God damn, I'm getting chills listening to some of these songs. They really are the best.

Cool man :) I know you're a big fan too. You're part of the reason I got so into them - I remember posting about how great Storytellin was once, and how great Andre's verse was, and you said Big Boi's opening verse on ATLiens ruled and then I fell head over heels.

Great review cobbler. I'm actually really excited to see Outkast in the summer, even though I'll never be the biggest fan.

I've been listening to some of Basinski's Disintegration Loops over the past few days. I'm not sure yet if I find it boring or beautiful but it is nice background music. Dlp 3 however, is devastatingly beautiful. It'll be the perfect soundtrack for the actual end of the world. Can't stop listening to it.

Good post, cobbler. Even when they're bands/hip hop artists I dislike or just don't care about, it's still nice to read posts like that.

I've been listening to some of Basinski's Disintegration Loops over the past few days. I'm not sure yet if I find it boring or beautiful but it is nice background music. Dlp 3 however, is devastatingly beautiful. It'll be the perfect soundtrack for the actual end of the world. Can't stop listening to it.

I love the concept and the story but find it really boring.

QOTSA, GZA, Thundercat, Nas and Pharrell among the artists I'll be seeing today.

Warpaint recently released a video for Disco//Very which confirmed that Jenny is my favorite member of the band. Absolutely the star of the live show and now it's settled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom