Random Music Talk XCIII: IN-VIII-SI-COCK!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not all that silly to me when you consider who it is I'm asking. You're just so persistently negative, and, more or less braggadocios about it that I sometimes wonder if you do in fact derive glee from such things. I guess I just get confused because this is still a U2 fan site, so, you more or less should expect people to lean towards liking their material as opposed to disliking it. You dislike most if not all of their recent output, never hesitate to remind everyone of that, and take the extra step of mocking the band's lead singer in your avatar - which is all fine, I don't lose any sleep over it - but it does sometime make me wonder why you're here.

So, you'll forgive me if you and your ceaseless negativity cause me to wonder if you do, in fact, get pleasure from such things. You might not see it as a legit question but I'd not have asked it if I didn't mean it.

First of all - you don't know me personally, and it is a part of Internet culture to have ridiculous assumptions on somebody based on comments that one selectively chooses to see because one is being defensive about your favorite band. I have made plenty of positive comments on this band in the (recent) past - admittedly this is oriented almost 100 per cent towards their earlier output, which I still very much appreciate, but I have commented in the past that I certainly don't like to boast on something I don't like (see recent discussion on Pearl Jam's last album if you want proof) - I have made one single post on this new song, and decided to wait some time until I post some more detailed (and critical) comments on it, since you never know - my opinion on it can change, as it did on many other U2 songs. Furthermore, in the explosion of negativity that has happened in the last couple of days since the signs are pointing the band is getting cold feet about their new material - my single comment was not "fuck this band", it was that I really don't give a shit. And I don't. Apologies for that.

We had some time ago a very healthy discussion on how new U2 material doesn't excite me and this did not change with this new track. I have noted however that it would be magnificent if I'd be proven wrong. What I did choose to kid around with in the latest post is the inevitable hyperbole that comes with every single new thing this band releases. I'm certainly not the only one who is amused by this phenomenon (I was certainly a victim to it way back in 2004 when Bomb came out). It certainly wasn't malicious, and the poster replied and it seems to me he didn't take offense.

Second of all - I find it ridiculous that you think the avatar is in any way mocking the band. It is first and foremost random (and I really like random things), and secondly - if one wants to derive any meaning from it at all - it mocks the very creepy part and clique of this forum that never ceases to remind sections of the forum that should be concentrated on the music of their infinite love for the band members.

And finally, to answer your classy question as to why am I here - as my experience on this forum has proven in the years since the last U2 album came out, this place is full of people that share similar tastes and interests as mine not only in music, but also in film and literature, and I enjoy discussions and things I learn from people here (I've learned plenty), with a slight hope some people might take some of my recommendations in any of those three things and have fun with them. I also have met some people here personally (who also share some feelings about the band's recent output) whose company I've thoroughly enjoyed and this forum is naturally the place where to keep contact with them.

First of all - you don't know me personally, and it is a part of Internet culture to have ridiculous assumptions on somebody based on comments that one selectively chooses to see because one is being defensive about your favorite band. I have made plenty of positive comments on this band in the (recent) past - admittedly this is oriented almost 100 per cent towards their earlier output, which I still very much appreciate, but I have commented in the past that I certainly don't like to boast on something I don't like (see recent discussion on Pearl Jam's last album if you want proof) - I have made one single post on this new song, and decided to wait some time until I post some more detailed (and critical) comments on it, since you never know - my opinion on it can change, as it did on many other U2 songs. Furthermore, in the explosion of negativity that has happened in the last couple of days since the signs are pointing the band is getting cold feet about their new material - my single comment was not "fuck this band", it was that I really don't give a shit. And I don't. Apologies for that.

We had some time ago a very healthy discussion on how new U2 material doesn't excite me and this did not change with this new track. I have noted however that it would be magnificent if I'd be proven wrong. What I did choose to kid around with in the latest post is the inevitable hyperbole that comes with every single new thing this band releases. I'm certainly not the only one who is amused by this phenomenon (I was certainly a victim to it way back in 2004 when Bomb came out). It certainly wasn't malicious, and the poster replied and it seems to me he didn't take offense.

Second of all - I find it ridiculous that you think the avatar is in any way mocking the band. It is first and foremost random (and I really like random things), and secondly - if one wants to derive any meaning from it at all - it mocks the very creepy part and clique of this forum that never ceases to remind sections of the forum that should be concentrated on the music of their infinite love for the band members.

And finally, to answer your classy question as to why am I here - as my experience on this forum has proven in the years since the last U2 album came out, this place is full of people that share similar tastes and interests as mine not only in music, but also in film and literature, and I enjoy discussions and things I learn from people here (I've learned plenty), with a slight hope some people might take some of my recommendations in any of those three things and have fun with them. I also have met some people here personally (who also share some feelings about the band's recent output) whose company I've thoroughly enjoyed and this forum is naturally the place where to keep contact with them.

I really don't feel like going back and forth on this, so, ok, thanks for the reply.

Me neither, since I'm really not a fan of these kinds of discussions in the first place. Next time (I hope there won't be one though), feel free to send me a PM.

I am a huge fan of aviators, so I approve of Bono's look in that commercial. Also, is Larry wearing a tie with a short-sleeved shirt?

Invisible feels like a B or so on first two listens. Pleased that the song structure felt more organic than some NLOTH songs did.

I am a huge fan of aviators, so I approve of Bono's look in that commercial.

If you're interested, they look to be identical to the ones he was photographed wearing late last year when in NY especially, but just a different lens color perhaps. Those were a custom Ray Ban, said my optician (who supplies many around the globe with their "Bono shades").

I like the music, but good god those lyrics are awful.

Not sure what's going to win out in the long term for me.

I like the music, but good god those lyrics are awful.
Seriously? Bono's done a lot worse in the past 15 years. They're not great but decent. I like the sentiment. Biggest negative is the use of soul in the chorus.

It's not terrible. I've only listened once and didn't pay much attention to the lyrics, but I didn't start dry heaving so that's a good sign.

The most heartening thing about it for me is Boner's register. None of the flighty bullshit like the Whoredinary Lust chorus.

Seriously? Bono's done a lot worse in the past 15 years. They're not great but decent. I like the sentiment. Biggest negative is the use of soul in the chorus.

Not crazy about him falling back on "broken heart" again.

And I said it in my original post, but I'll repeat: too many syllables in the verse lines again. Overwriting is a constant millennium problem with him.

Some decent imagery though but yeah the original idea probably would have been a lot more evocative.

Sucks we may be waiting four fucking months to hear the full version, or maybe they'll do it on Fallon that way.

I'm impressed, this is what I wanted to hear from this collaboration, both of them trying new things together. Ordinary Love sounds impeccable despite some clunky verses but it sounds EXACTLY like U2 run through Danger Mouse' trademark bag of tricks. This, does not.

Am I the only one who is actually OK with the lyrics? Think about what's being depicted, it's Bono leaving home and his dad to be in a band and be his own man, he was 18 at the time, it doesn't have to be the pinnacle of his lyrical ability. Maybe I'm apologizing for him with that, but they aren't bad given the context and most importantly they sound right with the music. There was a lot of fear when the first few lines were leaked that it would be bad, but they work given the delivery.

I am curious about the edit though, is there another verse/chorus? More Edge? Like laz said it couldn't have just been 4:30 or so, that's short enough on its own.

Back
Top Bottom