Random Music Talk LXXXVIII: Don't mention your vacations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Until last week, I hadn't heard "Hunter" since it was a new song, that was what got me to finally give this a listen. That track is hot. So is "Here With Me". And of course, "Thank You" is pretty good too. The whole album was pretty cohesive to boot. Very pleased.

I prefer Blue Lines to Protection, I think. The latter is more cohesive and has a consistent mood (aside from ending it with a boring cover with incongruous vocals) but I just love too many of the tracks on the former - Safe from Harm, Be Thankful, Unfinished Sympathy.

Of course Mezzanine destroys them both, and Heligoland is criminally underrated.

I prefer Blue Lines to Protection, I think. The latter is more cohesive and has a consistent mood (aside from ending it with a boring cover with incongruous vocals) but I just love too many of the tracks on the former - Safe from Harm, Be Thankful, Unfinished Sympathy.

Of course Mezzanine destroys them both, and Heligoland is criminally underrated.

I agree with friggin.

Unfinished Sympathy is one of the greatest songs ever, but it's not enough by itself to overcome the epic greatness of Mezzanine.

Protection was kinda horrible, IMO. But it had some wonderful songs on it,, including the title track.

This may just not be a band for me :(.

I'm busier than I should be right now, but I just wanted to support your liking of this song.

It's a wonderful song and I have a strong memory/time in my life association with it as well.

I have a book at home, 1001 albums to hear before you die. It has both Blue Lines and Protection but no Mezzanine.

I pull albums from that list all of the time. That's actually why I ended up listening to Protection in the first place, come to think of it.

Using the random number generator on that list has led to some really interesting music listening on my part.

Protection was kinda horrible, IMO. But it had some wonderful songs on it,, including the title track.

The title track is the best thing on the album, definitely. I love Weather Storm and Eurochild as well, but overall it's just a bit boring, I think.

What are people's favourite Massive Attack songs? Exchange, Teardrop, Pray for Rain, Unfinished Sympathy, Be Thankful, Protection.

I also happen to think that the first 25 seconds of Inertia Creeps are some of the best seconds of music I've heard, and then it gives way to an awesomely dark and layered track.

Quick rant, and I'm putting it here since I blocked Zoo Confessionals ages ago.

I hate people who get all sanctimonious because I drink energy drinks. Every time I sit down at work with a red bull or a V people always look at me in disgust and say things like "they're terrible for you". I'm sure they are, but so is everything. I drink on average two or three a week. I like them. I don't like coffee or tea. You, on the other hand, spend $20 a day on coffee. So shut the hell up.

Energy drinks are fucking disgusting but, yeah, I wouldn't go out of my way to say something to somebody if I saw them drinking one.

Less disgusting than cigarettes, and I smoke the hell out of those.

Let's all slowly kill ourselves.

Make your own fun time super double action house mix with similar songs, though, I am sure you have....and, of course, it's not quite the same.

Yeah, the only thing is it not being the same. There's just this great feeling about finding an album that sounds so perfectly made for you. And then, of course, there's the ability to say, "Hey everyone, come listen to this awesome album. It's like an entire album of Massive Attack's "Protection" :drool:"

I do pretty OK with my personal playlists, though.

This describes me if I could find an entire album that sounds like Beauty and the Beast, Joe the Lion, Sons of the Silent Age and Blackout from "Heroes".

Heroes is so great the way it is, though. It's a beautiful disaster. I don't know if you'll ever find that album you're looking for. Has anyone else ever recorded even a single song that sounds like Berlin-Era Bowie?

This describes me if I could find an entire album that sounds like Beauty and the Beast, Joe the Lion, Sons of the Silent Age and Blackout from "Heroes".

I made a thread about this on rateyourmusic once...yeah, there aren't any. :(

I know what you guys are talking about. I'd say there's been only two times that I've had that sensation, of an album being just perfect for you - the first was Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and the second was Steely Dan's Aja. The first time I listened to those albums I felt so satisfied. Obviously there's a ton of other albums that I love, but they always took a few spins or so.

Heroes is so great the way it is, though. It's a beautiful disaster. I don't know if you'll ever find that album you're looking for. Has anyone else ever recorded even a single song that sounds like Berlin-Era Bowie?

No, I don't think I will either. And "Heroes" is great as it is. I just can't get enough of that manic, high-energy, dance-y krautrock sound (is that an accurate description? I don't know). You can probably chuck the Station to Station title track, Secret Life of Arabia and a few Low tracks in there as well.

I know what you guys are talking about. I'd say there's been only two times that I've had that sensation, of an album being just perfect for you - the first was Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and the second was Steely Dan's Aja. The first time I listened to those albums I felt so satisfied. Obviously there's a ton of other albums that I love, but they always took a few spins or so.

It's not like it's an all-time favorite album for me, but when I heard The Ice Choir's album for the first time, I had that moment of total and complete awe at something that so genuinely fit everything I loved about a certain time and place of music. It was clearly written by a fan and it shone through so brightly.

I know that feeling.

Hearing #1 Record/Radio City for the first time was like meeting someone I knew would be my best friend for life. I had a similar experience with Emergency & I. Everything fell into place instantly. Bandwagonesque was another one that felt like it was made for me. It's been difficult to put them down since.

i think that's the same feeling i was trying to describe in the bnl thread about born on a pirate ship.

My recent bnl kick has been thoroughly done in for the time being, though. I have a feeling I won't want to listen to bands that aren't pearl jam for a little bit. It's saying a lot that I came away 100% thrilled I finally saw the band/wishing I could go back to the show tomorrow night/in absolute post-concert withdrawal when I was surrounded by one of the biggest pockets of lame I've ever been amidst at a show, and many of my favorite songs weren't played. But we all know p4k has the right opinion and the new album is trash, Eddie's voice is shot, and I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about because it took me til 2013 to see the band live.

I really need to start wearing earplugs at shows. My left ear is ringing so bad right now it woke me up thinking that my basement might be on fire. Also, with no one else in here right now, it's starting to look like the reaper in OOC and I don't like the part I'm playing.

Quick rant, and I'm putting it here since I blocked Zoo Confessionals ages ago.

I hate people who get all sanctimonious because I drink energy drinks. Every time I sit down at work with a red bull or a V people always look at me in disgust and say things like "they're terrible for you". I'm sure they are, but so is everything. I drink on average two or three a week. I like them. I don't like coffee or tea. You, on the other hand, spend $20 a day on coffee. So shut the hell up.
I don't drink caffeine, but I've always just assumed everyone else does and haven't said shit to anyone else about their drink of choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom