Random Music Talk LXI: In Which PFan and GAF Drink a Lot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bran+Stark.png

I was hoping I might find someone else I know in the area who's going to Shut Up and Play the Hits, but I guess I'll be flying solo. Oh well.

If people are dancing, I shall dance, too.

Do you think there'll be dancing in the aisles? I read a thing about the movie and it said at whatever screening it initially had, people were dancing like they were at a concert. I'd be all over that.

Anyone who lives alone and has (or has had) a dog, please tell me of issues and responsibilities I may not be considering. I'm about 70% decided on getting one in the very near future. I think I've thought through most things, but I'm sure there's stuff I haven't considered.

Apparently it's Baroness day on Popmatters. After an incredibly positive review, thy also posted a 3 page article about the band.

Where the Thunderclouds Are Rolling: Baroness, Sludge, and Southern Rebellion < PopMatters

Sorry, Cori, just too busy to go in the middle of the week. :eek:ld:

I just paid $75 to register for the Leavenworth Octoberfest half marathon. I guess I'm committed to train for it now.

Whatever, DB. I see how it is. (kidding! Your travel involves a ferry - you can't argue with that Seattle commute logic.)

I like Leavenworth. One of these summers, I'm going to wait for a weekend where they're predicting thunderstorms, and then go there. Just to have a thunderstorm.

I went there for Oktoberfest once. It was a madhouse.

Anyone who lives alone and has (or has had) a dog, please tell me of issues and responsibilities I may not be considering. I'm about 70% decided on getting one in the very near future. I think I've thought through most things, but I'm sure there's stuff I haven't considered.

I would say the primary factor is the energy level of the dog. If you are going to be at work most of the day, a high-energy dog might have a lot of difficulty adjusting to those circumstances and might also become destructive.

I would say the primary factor is the energy level of the dog. If you are going to be at work most of the day, a high-energy dog might have a lot of difficulty adjusting to those circumstances and might also become destructive.

French bulldog, which hopefully shouldn't be a problem in that regard. If it seems I'm wrong or I start to worry, there are a few near by "dog sitter" type options where I could take it while I'm at work.

Rated R or Songs for the Deaf?

Martha, you should check into that Baroness album.

I prefer Rated R to Songs for the Deaf. It's taut, rocks just as hard, and is overall a lot more freewheeling and fun. Songs for the Deaf has impressive scope and some great songs, but it bores me a bit by the end. Cut it down to 11 tracks and I'd probably listen to it a lot more often.

Kyuss is awesome too.

I adopted my Chihuahua when the office policy was that we could bring dogs to work. So for several years he went to work with me and sat in his bed by my desk and enjoyed the company of other dogs. But when the big dogs started doing things like peeing in the boss's office and then on a very expensive sculpture, the no-dog policy came down (as it should have). It was incredibly traumatic for all of us. I don't think my dog ever got over suddenly having to stay home alone all day. As an older small dog, he didn't do well in doggie daycare either, so he got very depressed. I'm sure you've thought about this. Some dogs just don't do that well alone and you just won't know until you get one.

Also, dogs do extremely well on a raw food, grain-free diet.

Other than that, yay for adopting a dog. :up:

I'm off to buy my Shut Up & Play ticket. I will still probably be the only one there Wednesday night in which case I might be dancing alone which is what I did during the webcast anyway so wtf. I hate most people anyway so that would work out fine. :D

I found a rabbit's hind leg in my backyard yesterday. I'm assuming that a bird of prey dropped a piece of his breakfast, because all of the other scenarios I can come up with to explain how a rabbit's leg would end up in a fenced yard make me uncomfortable.

Aren't rabbit's feet supposed to be good luck?

Get that shit onto a keychain, Cochise!

I was never a fan of Songs for the Deaf. Too long, bloated and simply not engaging enough to keep me interested for 60 minutes. It has this monotonous production and sound that bores me senseless after awhile. This also comes from the fact that I always had a mindless hatred for No One Knows. Mosquito Song and A Song For the Dead are amazing songs though. Rated R on the other hand is one of my favourite rock albums of the 00s. Some of Homme's best riffs, a beautiful Mark Lanegan song and a bit of wild Oliveri punk to make it more versatile but still perfectly seamless as a whole.

And yeah, Kyuss is a fantastic band. I prefer it to anything else Homme has ever did. Blues For the Red Sun and Welcome To Sky Valley are as good as "stoner rock" gets.

Songs for the Deaf was the soundtrack to my belated play through of Ocarina of Time. I will always love it.

Rated R is just awesome, but I never got interested in their last two.

I am most likely riding solo at Shut Up as well, which is fine by me.

Danny Boy said:

I ALREADY POSTED THIS

joyfulgirl said:
I found the head and mid section of a snake (in separate pieces) in my yard earlier this summer. Figured it was those pesky but hilarious ravens who hang out in the blue spruce trees around the neighborhood.

We cut the head off a brown snake when we were camping once. Tied its body to a piece of string. For the next hour it kept contracting into an S shape and then straightening out and the head was hissing for about half an hour. Creepy.

Yeah, Rated R is / was awesome. I also agree that Songs for the Deaf is too long and gets boring, but it did have a number of great songs.

I adopted my Chihuahua when the office policy was that we could bring dogs to work. So for several years he went to work with me and sat in his bed by my desk and enjoyed the company of other dogs. But when the big dogs started doing things like peeing in the boss's office and then on a very expensive sculpture, the no-dog policy came down (as it should have). It was incredibly traumatic for all of us. I don't think my dog ever got over suddenly having to stay home alone all day. As an older small dog, he didn't do well in doggie daycare either, so he got very depressed. I'm sure you've thought about this. Some dogs just don't do that well alone and you just won't know until you get one.

Also, dogs do extremely well on a raw food, grain-free diet.

Other than that, yay for adopting a dog. :up:

Yeah, hopefully leaving it won't be much of an issue. That's my biggest concern at this point. If it is, I'll figure it out. Luckily my boss is going on sabbatical for 6 weeks on Friday, so I'll be able to "work from home" a bit over the course of first getting it.

We cut the head off a brown snake when we were camping once. Tied its body to a piece of string. For the next hour it kept contracting into an S shape and then straightening out and the head was hissing for about half an hour. Creepy.

The creepy part being that you did that to a snake.

Apparently I am the only person so far in a city of 75,000+ people (not counting a shitload of tourists) who has purchased an advanced ticket to Shut Up & Play the Hits.

I really like both Rated R and Songs for the Deaf. Song for the Dead is easily my favourite QOTSA. I always thought Mosquito Song to be the worst on Songs... It lacks that great guitar tone that's on all the other songs.

Apparently I am the only person so far in a city of 75,000+ people (not counting a shitload of tourists) who has purchased an advanced ticket to Shut Up & Play the Hits.

Two of the three showings here in Chicago are sold out, for whatever that's worth. But I suppose this is a city with more attention to the indie scene than most.

joyfulgirl said:
The creepy part being that you did that to a snake.

It was in someone's tent. She screamed and her husband came over and did it. They're also incredibly venomous, so it gave her peace of mind to know that was one less snake that could bite and poison her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom