Random Music Talk LVI: Featuring Hologram Shouter and NSW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. So many people hold it in such high regard. My tastes have really been shaped by this forum, which has been awesome, but sometimes it's been a hindrance. My mind is a little closed off at times (will always be to metal, sorry Ax, scums, et al).

Jeff Mangum tries hard to pass himself off as a cracked genius with his poetry, but that tremendous, bizarre storyline inspired by Anne Frank fever dreams is lost under the semen on the mountaintops and the Jesus Christ lovin'. It's baffling, and it needn't be. The music is almost an afterthought; the soundtrack to a painstaking decoding process. And it's not as if the vocals drag you in.

Holland, 1945 is great song though.

Jeff Mangum tries hard to pass himself off as a cracked genius with his poetry, but that tremendous, bizarre storyline inspired by Anne Frank fever dreams is lost under the semen on the mountaintops and the Jesus Christ lovin'. It's baffling, and it needn't be. The music is almost an afterthought, the soundtrack to a painstaking decoding process. And it's not as if the vocals drag you in.

My God. I don't even know wtf you guys are talking about, but holy shit does that sound awful.

My God. I don't even know wtf you guys are talking about, but holy shit does that sound awful.

All you need to know is that Neutral Milk Hotel is weightless indie folk that's inspired scores of talentless hacks with feelings and cheap acoustic guitars.

So that "I loooooooooove youuuuuuuu Jeeeeeeeeeeessuuuuuuusss Chrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiist" isn't some kind of sick joke? It's sincere? Not a quote from Anne Frank's diary (haven't read it)?

I don't think that particular phrase would appear in a lot of Jewish diaries.

This.

Besides, if it were, Mangum wouldn't say so. The Anne Frank stuff is exaggerated by fans, though Mangum has said live that Holland is inspired by her, and that he was having dreams about her around the time of the album's creation. But, honestly, I have heard the album so many times in an attempt to like it and couldn't tell you where her influence creeps in.

I was a big fan of Limp Bizkit. Actually I never was.

I did like Matchbox Twenty a lot back a while ago, I can't hate them though.

martha said:

I think LM is taking it a bit far, to be honest. It is a difficult record with literate pretensions, but those precedents have borne some good fruit over the years.

All you need to know is that Neutral Milk Hotel is weightless indie folk that's inspired scores of talentless hacks with feelings and cheap acoustic guitars.

Good to know.

I think LM is taking it a bit far, to be honest. It is a difficult record with literate pretensions, but those precedents have borne some good fruit over the years.

I'll take your word for it.

Now you wouldn't want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise, they wouldn't wanna watch
Another uninnocent, elegant fall
Into the unmagnificent lives of adults

That gentle synth in the background

:heart: :heart:

Talentless hacks like Win Butler, Zach Condon, Jeff Tweedy, Kevin Barnes, James Mercer, Colin Meloy, Trey Anastasio, Amanda Palmer, Charles Bissell, Conor Oberst, Jenny Lewis, John Darnielle, Robert Schneider, Matt Pond, etc.

Talentless hacks like Win Butler, Zach Condon, Jeff Tweedy, Kevin Barnes, James Mercer, Colin Meloy, Trey Anastasio, Amanda Palmer, Charles Bissell, Conor Oberst, Jenny Lewis, John Darnielle, Robert Schneider, Matt Pond, etc.

:up:
I will always love In the Aeroplane Over the Sea.

King of Carrot Flowers was my first love from that record. And I agree about the title song.

There's one song I like from that album, but I can't remember the title - I think it has a year in the title? Holland 1945 or something? I liked that one.

Seattle rules: front page story today in the Seattle Times? Record store day. Line outside Sonic Boom at 8:30 - growing.

I love a city that loves music.

26233637-26233639-large.jpg

disappointing hearing an accordion playing, and realizing the song is Glad You Came, not Stereo Love.

Wait, our girl Carey Mulligan is getting married to the fucking lead singer of Mumford and Sons?

God dammit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom