Random Music Talk CXXX: The AFL Finally Gets Revenge on Meat Loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the tip! You're one of the members here who is always up on cool new shit, I trust your opinions more than anyone!

[emoji119] I loved the album, for what it's worth. Stretches further into jazz fusion than their last album, which was almost like a lofi take on 60s French pop. This one takes that sound and beefs it up with higher fidelity and, curiously, pedal steel. It works!

I saw them open for Stereloab earlier this year, great show.

That last post was supposed to be a joke since MrPryck2U just made fun of Cobbler for quoting himself.

I do appreciate your recs El Mel but would never be that cheesy about it :lol:

That last post was supposed to be a joke since MrPryck2U just made fun of Cobbler for quoting himself.

I do appreciate your recs El Mel but would never be that cheesy about it :lol:

Lol I knew those exclamation points were suspect...

Cobz, did Kendrick play with a live band? He did when I saw him, and that made Money Trees my favorite live song of his.

The line up for this SLC festival was just announced. Pretty crazy to see how far the music scene in Utah has come since I was young. Kilby Court, the venue that puts this festival on, was more or less a tiny shed in the middle of an industrial area of SLC that only booked small indie artists 20 years ago (most of my "front row" concert experiences were here). I'll definitely be getting a 3 day pass.

kilby-block-party-2023-1670346975-971x1500.jpeg

https://www.kilbyblockparty.com/

I don't think so, if he did, they were off stage. But the drums sounded so good in parts it sounded live to me.

I think he had a mostly live band on the TPAB tour.

Hip-hop shows go to another level with a live band.

It ain't the best album of all time, though. That placement in the re-do of Rolling Stone's Top 500 was pretty obnoxious.

Something I never knew until I replaced my old CD with a remastered one that had extensive liner notes is that the title of Sly and the Family Stone's album There's a Riot Goin' On was meant as a response to Gaye's titular question.

Has there been a law passed recently that Phoebe Bridgers has to appear on 50% or more of the records released in the foreseeable future?

I've just gotten home from a big weekend at a music festival where I took lots of MDMA and had a great time (Dry Cleaning, Sharon Van Etten, Caribou, Nu Genea, Tkay Maidza and Lou were all great, and a special shout-out to Yothu Yindi, an iconic Aboriginal band, seeing them live was a pretty special experience, particularly seeing them play Treaty, which absolutely went off.

I am tired and have things to do this week, but the Killers are playing here the next two nights... should I get a ticket? They're about $130.

Hey guys. I was lucky to see The Smile a few weeks ago. While it took about 15 Radiohead shows to hear Fake Plastic Trees, it only took one The Smile show to meet Thom, sorta by accident. He was lovely, and I'm here to report that the rumors of his prickliness have been greatly exaggerated. Or, he was just in a good mood.

Anyway, the show was jaw-dropping amazing. To see Thom & Jonny in a theater that seats 1,500 was incredible.

Anyway, thought you'd enjoy these clips that were just released from earlier in their tour. The clip of the new song Bending Hectic doesn't include the intro I had seen elsewhere in which Thom says he wrote the lyrics about a half hour before this performance. It's gorgeous. I think they almost have enough new songs for a second record.

They have a few shows left on the West Coast, so get on it if you can!

Also, happy holidays.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I was lucky to see The Smile a few weeks ago. While it took about 15 Radiohead shows to hear Fake Plastic Trees, it only took one The Smile show to meet Thom, sorta by accident. He was lovely, and I'm here to report that the rumors of his prickliness have been greatly exaggerated. Or, he was just in a good mood.

Anyway, the show was jaw-dropping amazing. To see Thom & Jonny in a theater that seats 1,500 was incredible.

Anyway, thought you'd enjoy these clips that were just released from earlier in their tour. The clip of the new song Bending Hectic doesn't include the intro I had seen elsewhere in which Thom says he wrote the lyrics about a half hour before this performance. It's gorgeous. I think they almost have enough new songs for a second record.

:up:

Very jealous!

They have a few shows left on the West Coast, so get on it if you can!

Also, happy holidays.

This is really cool, thanks for sharing joyful, and would love to hear more about your encounter with Thom? How did it make you feel? :)

Also I respect the sets they're playing - almost all The Smile (do they have a bunch of newer songs out?) and then maybe a Thom solo cover, but no Radiohead.

I finally got around to listening to the record this week. It's good. Maybe a bit long, and I think on first listen I prefer Thom's solo stuff, but I will definitely go back to it. You'll Never Work in Television Again is thrilling, and Open the Floodgates-Free in the Knowledge is a beautiful pairing. Interesting too how much of the Identikit-style guitar Jonny plays on this record.

This might sound strange, as the songs sound absolutely nothing alike, but I was listening to The Same and I just kept hearing another song. I couldn't get it out of my head, but I also couldn't sing any of the lyrics from the actual song I was thinking of. I ended up pausing it and recording a voice note of the melody that was in my head, and through repetition I figured it out: Cheerleader by Grizzly Bear :lol:

This is really cool, thanks for sharing joyful, and would love to hear more about your encounter with Thom? How did it make you feel? :)

Ok, so here's what happened.

I'd heard that the band was signing stuff for fans by the tour bus every night, but I knew I wasn't going to do that. It's never a goal for me, though it has happened a couple of times by chance. But I generally tend to abide by the "never meet your idols" advice.

So, I deliberately did not go stand in the long line by the bus behind the theater. I was simply standing to the side in front of the theater about to call an Uber when suddenly a security person shouted "no Jonny tonight but Thom is coming out shortly." Then I realized a line had formed behind me while I was busy texting with a friend, and that I was 5th in that line. The word soon reached the bus line, and I felt bad for them as they came around front to join the real line, whereas I had unintentionally, effortlessly, landed at the front of a line I didn't know existed.

And suddenly he was standing right there. It all happened so fast I didn't have time to be nervous, nor time to think of anything to say, and had nothing for him to sign. When it was very quickly my turn I just walked up and said "Hey, Thom!" and he say "Hey!" Then I remembered I had an actual ticket because that was the only option in the W.A.S.T.E. presale, so I pulled that out, feeling quite stupid about it. He signed it, I said a nice thing about the show, thanked him for coming out, and told him to come to my city sometime. He smiled and said "Alright!"

It barely even counts as "meeting" someone but that's how these things go.

I neither made a fool of myself nor made any impression whatsoever. But it was indeed thrilling to have a brief face-to-face interaction with him, to have Thom Yorke look me in the eye and smile, acknowledging my existence. I find it to be nearly miraculous every time I am fortunate enough to even be under the same roof as Thom & Jonny, let alone unexpectedly face-to-face with Thom. After my moment, I stepped back and hung out watching everyone else's interactions. I loved seeing the nervous faces approach him, and then the glow as they walked away.

Thom is not exactly warm and fuzzy, and it's probably safe to say this isn't his favorite part of the job. Yet he was lovely doing it. He gave out hugs when asked (I wouldn't dare!), and even initiated a few with people who seemed to be familiar fans to him. There were lots of fist bumps and jokes, and he gave extra attention to kids and those with physical challenges. He also shouted to a guy he saw taking his picture (we'd been told repeatedly NO PICTURES OF ANY KIND and the security guard made us put our phones away entirely) but he wasn't mean about it— just "hey! did you just take my picture?" — and security made the guy delete it. Fair enough, I thought.

So yeah, despite my general reluctance to get anywhere near someone I adore as much as I adore every member of Radiohead, it was special. He was aloof as you'd expect, but not intimidating, and he generously, patiently, gave every single person in that block and half line his attention. He looked great—shorter hair, beard groomed, more handsome and taller than expected.

The end. :wave:

Last edited:
Also I respect the sets they're playing - almost all The Smile (do they have a bunch of newer songs out?) and then maybe a Thom solo cover, but no Radiohead.

I don't know if this is a rule with band members who have side projects, or just a courtesy, but it's the same with Jack White. If he's touring as Jack White, he plays anything from any of his collaborations. But if he's touring with Dead Weather or Raconteurs, they only play their own songs. Would be weird for The Smile to play Radiohead songs. They played several new songs, and I think there might be even more new songs played at other shows, but I haven't really tracked it.

I finally got around to listening to the record this week. It's good. Maybe a bit long, and I think on first listen I prefer Thom's solo stuff, but I will definitely go back to it.

I'd love to hear what you think after you've listened to it more. It was not a grower for me—I loved it right away and have already listened to it way more than I've listened to any of Thom's solo records (though I like them, too).

This was closer than I've ever been to Thom & Jonny onstage before. Usually I can't even see half of what Jonny is doing, so watching him this time was amazing. Seeing him strum a harp with one hand while playing keyboards with the other on "Speech Bubbles" was so beautiful it nearly brought a tear to my eye. I normally think of him pounding his guitar over on the side of the stage behind a bunch of equipment, but in this show he was front and center a lot, and I could see a more tender and sensuous touch, as well as the obvious chemistry and signals between him and Thom.

Last edited:
So, I deliberately did not go stand in the long line by the bus behind the theater. I was simply standing to the side in front of the theater about to call an Uber when suddenly a security person shouted "no Jonny tonight but Thom is coming out shortly." Then I realized a line had formed behind me while I was busy texting with a friend, and that I was 5th in that line. The word soon reached the bus line, and I felt bad for them as they came around front to join the real line, whereas I had unintentionally, effortlessly, landed at the front of a line I didn't know existed.

This doesn't surprise me at all, haha.

This whole tale is lovely. :heart:

I could scarcely believe it if we hadn't done something similar with Sigur Rós. Twice! "Not trying" seems to be the magical key.

I could scarcely believe it if we hadn't done something similar with Sigur Rós. Twice! "Not trying" seems to be the magical key.

I almost mentioned that but I couldn't remember exactly how it happened the second time. There was also that time I passed by a bunch of people waiting for Robert Smith as I was heading back to my car, so I hung out for about a half hour, got bored, decided 'this is stupid,' went back to my not-at-all-fancy hotel only to find the whole band in the hotel bar. :lol: I feel like that could only happen in a place like El Paso. I seem to have weird luck by putting in as little effort as possible.

Great story! And that's always my philosophy too. I'll never go ambulance chasing and will never seek out artists in that way, if it happens (like my experience drinking with the E Street Band), it happens.

Are there any artists out there you just cannot listen to anymore because they've become such a public cunt?

Even in recent years I'd been like oh I'm still gonna enjoy everything Kanye put out up to and including Pablo, but he has become such a fucking prick that I'm now too sour on him to even enjoy that.

The other one is Mark Kozelek. Benji is one of my favourite albums ever but I don't think I can listen to it now because of that asinine arsehole run he went on, plus the accusations.

I've never been a huge Arcade Fire fan so that one doesn't hurt me too much, but I haven't tried listening back to their music.

I used to like Ariel Pink, but then the Trump stuff happened.

Ryan Adams was another artist I loved then everything came out about him. I struggled before that, because I followed him on IG and he’d get weird and post weird stuff then quickly delete it.

I can’t touch The Neighbourhood (nor could I ever) solely because of how much of a douchebag the lead singer was. It was like a decade ago - they opened for The Temper trap. The level of tool this guy was… was just so unparalleled. Wearing pitch black sunglasses indoors, obnoxiously large platinum dollar sign chain, big ass rings on every finger, a big puffy coat with a retro microphone and two middle fingers out at the audience singing lyrics only a true poet could write - “You're too mean, I don't like you, fuck you, anyway.” It was easily the worst performance I’ve ever seen of a supposedly up and coming band, so much so to a point that I think it really ruined the show for the main act. Oh, also, using the British spelling for their band name but being from the US gives mega pretentious cringe aura.

Sending love to bono212, Ashley, and deep, deep gratitude for you bringing A Girl Called Eddy's Been Around to this forum two years ago. There's no chance I'd have found it without your post, and I smashed the album today, and I still adore it from front to back. It's criminal it wasn't more popular. It definitely tugged at my heartstrings today, and empowered me, as I continue to move through this breakup.

I just got home from a party and watched this. Definitely the best 'lyric visualiser' style of video I've ever seen, it's great, and this song is just fucking 11/10 perfect.

Ryan Adams was another artist I loved then everything came out about him. I struggled before that, because I followed him on IG and he’d get weird and post weird stuff then quickly delete it.

I haven't been able to get back into his music either. For a while, he was my #1 artist on last.fm, if you combined his solo stuff with his various bands.

I haven't been able to get back into his music either. For a while, he was my #1 artist on last.fm, if you combined his solo stuff with his various bands.

I can’t tell if he hasn’t been able to make a full-on good album since Prisoner or if it’s me.

I think it’s him, though.

You could probably assemble an Easy Tiger vol 2 comprised of the best stuff of everything he has released post-NYT article, but that just points out how much aimless filter he has included alongside the few gems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom