Random Music Talk CXXX: The AFL Finally Gets Revenge on Meat Loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing them in a few weeks!

It's fantastic, but still the third best in my opinion. The s/t and You Forgot It In People are just about perfect albums.

Saw Marcus King on Saturday, really fun show. It's my fiance's favorite artist and got her up to the front, even caught a drumstick.

Here's a video I took of Goodbye Carolina. :up:

I don't know if there's a better summary of how Pitchfork has changed than the fact that Gold Soundz gets replaced by Mariah Carey's Fantasy as the #1 song of the 1990s in their list [Gold Soundz is now #40].

I'm not even saying that as a value judgement - just an indication of how they moved away from indie rock towards pop unabashedly as they became mainstream.

Nope. We get one mention, via You Get What You Give.

I haven't even heard the #1. I'm listening now and it's nothing that special. I know that beat, but from somewhere else I'm sure.

Nope. We get one mention, via You Get What You Give.

I haven't even heard the #1. I'm listening now and it's nothing that special. I know that beat, but from somewhere else I'm sure.

Kinda weird that the biggest band in the world for the first half of the decade (at least) isn’t responsible for at least one of the 250 best songs.

Pitchfork gonna Pitchfork. Hopefully Achtung Baby as a whole is still deemed legitimate enough for the albums list.

Anyway, despite my friend deciding not to go, I went ahead and got a last-minute ticket for Roger Waters tonight at Staples Center (you can’t make me say Cr***o.co* Arena). With fees on AXS it only cost me $58. I’m pretty sure the last time I was here was in 2005 for a Vertigo tour show, inside the GA “circle”.

I’m in the nosebleeds in one of the corners but the stage is in the center, hopefully will still be able to see some shit. Setlists have been totally uniform on this tour, so clearly he’s paying homage to The 2.

I think I’m going to buy the DVDs of previous tours to compare shows; I’ve recently picked up his last two solo albums Amused to Death and Is This The Kind of Life We Want To Live?, and while it’s not stuff I’d listen to all the time, I have respect for him as a writer and artist doing his own thing and not trying to out-Pink Floyd the rest of the band; The Final Cut pretty much points the way to the direction he’d take, and while it maybe the weakest of the classic era albums, it is a distinct entity and approach and not merely a watered-down The Wall.

Anyway, there are others here who know this material better than me and could say it better, and the show is about to start. See y’all in another life, brother..

Conde Nast P4k has no personality or identity and isn't worth thinking about that deeply.

I am seeing Roxy Music tonight with St. Vincent opening. It will be fun.

I remember Pitchfork in the early aughts with features making fun of Alanis, and now Jagged Little Pill makes the list as #51.

And did they forget that Blur existed?

LM has it right, there's just no personality. Some of their choices are obviously boring, others are obviously wrong, some of it is somewhat perplexing, a lot of it is commercial interest (i.e. their festival).

As someone who obsessively read that site in the mid-00s, the sense I get is that they are kind of disowning a lot of the stuff that made them a popular music site to start with.

Last edited:
I agree, but I also think you're all being a little unfair. Pitchfork as it was was run by a bunch of straight white men who thought the sun shined out of their arseholes. It's now much more diverse and encompasses more of mainstream culture. That's a) a smart business decision and b) the right thing to do. Their choices in these lists are always gonna be dumb, as with any list (this is all subjective!) but I don't begrudge them for going more mainstream.

Don't you get a sense that they've become a white person's sense of what diverse music is, as opposed to really diverse? Like, Brooklyn diverse (speaking as a Brooklyn resident)?

If they really wanted more diversity, though, don't you think there is at least one (1) album released outside Europe or North America that would be worth including?

Last edited:
Take a look at the names of the people writing the articles (and the blurbs on songs/albums). There's women, lots of non-white people. I don't know the leadership team/board, but it feels like to me they are genuinely getting more diverse.

Your second point is absolutely spot on though.

Take a look at the names of the people writing the articles (and the blurbs on songs/albums). There's women, lots of non-white people. I don't know the leadership team/board, but it feels like to me they are genuinely getting more diverse.

Not trying to argue too much about this because I'm generally on your side in these debates and I think that true diversity is really important. It just feels though that despite the changes in the staff, there's a certain Condé Nast normie filter that permeates many of their choices. I truly wished for them to point me to new music that I am not exposed to and that is outside of my cultural confines, if you will, but their choices in that respect are for the most part quite unsurprising.

yeah, it's the most boring, doesn't-actually-matter argument haha. And I'm with you on that, and I think you make a great point about their new choices for new music.,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom