Random Music Talk CXXVII: Crickets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I would go with:

All I Need
Faust Arp
Reckoner
House of Cards

Man, In Rainbows is a fucking amazing album.

It is basically perfect. Kid A is my favorite record ever but In Rainbows just makes me so happy every single time I put it on.

Also it looks like the new Fiona Apple May be coming out in a couple of weeks.

In Rainbows is definitely the shit. Comfortably my favourite Radiohead album, it is a nearly transcendental experience for me, so much so that I very rarely listen to it. Not something I can just put on.

I'll start a thread if you guys want to get rolling on it.

giphy.gif

I hope I can make my mp3-only entry by the deadline.

I hope to see my friends and hear their playlists.

I hope the sounds are as cool as they've been in my dreams.

I hope.

Sr1Yxa.gif

I had an incredible, transportive, wondrous listening experience to Ghosteen tonight. A combination of the music itself of course, the artwork, the packaging, the vinyl/speaker/plant setup I've got, where I sat, some alone time... truly mindblowing.

It is a phenomenal record, obliterating. I think probably it is now in my top handful or so of all time. It is that good.

I hadn't thought of it until now, but it's an album whose mood is almost frighteningly reflective of the present moment.

Random thoughts on 2020 releases:

I suspect Waxahatchee is going to be a one-album wonder for me. I return regularly to Out in the Storm but none of her earlier stuff has interested me much and this new one hardly seems to merit a second spin.

New Purity Ring is good, I'd say that sonically it sits somewhere between the debut and Another Eternity so hopefully will appeal to fans of either. My expectations were very high, since Another Eternity is one of my top four albums of the 2010s, the random single "Asido" is a total banger, and lead single "Stardew" swept me off my feet. I'm sure the album will place well on my year-end list but doesn't quite blow me away as a total product; I'd prefer less of the Shrines angle and more of the Another Eternity angle. I'd go nuts for a straight-up clone of Another Eternity tbh.

Can't get over the fact that Pure Reason Revolution have reformed (well, two of them under the PRR name anyway) and put out a new album. It's... nothing sensational, certainly can't rival The Dark Third, but to me it feels like being reacquainted with a familiar old friend. I'm very happy to have more of their music in my life.

The new Cable Ties album is fiery, good. Hard to say if post-punk or indie rock dominates more in their sound, with some post-hardcore in the mix. "Sandcastles" rules. It's similar to Press Club's album Wasted Energy from last year, which I finally got around to recently. If you like one, you'll like the other. "Separate Houses" is my Press Club pick.

Myrkur, the Danish one-woman black metal act who copped a lot of thinly veiled misogyny when her debut album came out, has done a folk album. It's unexpectedly good. Very pretty.

Really didn't think I'd find myself thrashing a Soccer Mommy album, but Color Theory is really good, especially once you cut "Royal Screw Up". Going to be hard to choose which of the first two tracks to put on a best of 2020 list given I only allow each artist one song.

I'd love to enjoy the new Grimes album more than I do but eww Elon Musk.

Anyway that's my accumulated random music bullshit since I last came through these parts.

Thank you for reminding me about PRR! I need to check out some new music. I was doing really well to start the year and then the major shift in my work/life balance (i.e. I now feel like I'm always at work) has really confused my daily routine.

Be very keen to hear what you think. Some of the promo material suggests a return to the band's Dark Third roots, which I don't really hear.

Also, did you listen to that Bullet Height album? It was basically a PRR album in all but name.

I didn't know about that either. I'm very out of the loop these days :)sad: ).

I'll try to listen to both today and let you know what I think.

I wish they'd update the board to include notifications on mention. I'm so used to that system now that I often just forget to look at Interference. It's not for lack of wanting to converse with you all.

Apparently I've been missed. I had stopped posting because I didn't have anything interesting to say. I did miss you guys, though.

Nice to "see" you.

And who among us really has anything interesting to say normally.
Hope all is well with you and yours.

I feel so bad for Katie Crutchfield releasing her album when the world collapses, but damn, Saint Cloud is just soooo good.

I am listening now and it's nice. She sounds sooooooo much like someone, but I can't figure out if it's another artist or just her previous work that's on my mind haha.

I am listening now and it's nice. She sounds sooooooo much like someone, but I can't figure out if it's another artist or just her previous work that's on my mind haha.

On her rockier numbers I think she sometimes sounds like Bethany Cosentino from Best Coast.

I’m working out the office for a bit this morning (I’m away from people and have my own office) and I’m listening to a 90’s playlist I made a long time ago and forgot how optimistic that time period felt (sure we had a recession in the US and things were kind of sketchy during the first half of the 90’s) but man, there was some diverse artists back then if you looked outside of the corporate grunge scene that was kind of being pushed then. My playlist is kind of mainstream but despite that, there were some great bands that did have marginal success.

I just want from Jesus Jones “Right Here Right Now” (whatever happened to them?) to Lemonheads “It’s A Shame About Ray” to NIN’s “Wish” and now I just want to drink coffee and remember what life was like when I was 15 as verses being a 42 year old guy sitting in my office during a pandemic.

Sonic Youth’s Kool Thing just came on..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom