Random Music Talk CXXIV: Axver's All Out of Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no. The new Muse album is out.

This is going to be agonising/hilarious.

If anyone is in their prime right now, it’s Brandon Flowers.

Would like to see him and Russell Westbrook trade fashion tips.

Joe Perry taken out of MSG on a stretcher with a tracheal tube to the hospital after joining Billy Joel on stage...not so good,

*seeems* like he's OK. But, wow, based on this article, I think maybe he should hang up performing :\:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/11/entertainment/joe-perry-aerosmith-hospitalized/index.html

Yeah, I remember the last incident and it was originally reported as a heart attack, then later they said just dehydration...but sure seems like somebody is trying to tell him something. Maybe just telling him to stay away from NYC. :wink:

Aerosmith has a Vegas residency starting in the spring, we'll see what happens.

iiiiiiim goingggg hunting hunting hunting
iiiiimmmm the hunter

STAAAAAAAAAATE OVVVVVVV EEEEEEMMMMMMERRGENCEEEEEE how beautiful to be

he'll never REEETUURRRRRRRNNNNNN you have to make new loooove

beep beep beep beep beep beep

aaaaalllllissssfulloflooooooveeee

Hey Laz, LC! covered Frontwards tonight (“the only Pavement song we can play”).

I like having it as a B-side in the 10th anniversary version of Hold On Youngster.

Last edited:
shut up Cob we all know your head is stuck in 1996

I know you love to not hear about old music, so I'll have to just go ahead and say my favourite album of this year - that I heard this year, is what I mean - is Street Hassle.

No, I'm not kidding.

My favourite song that I heard this year is this:

Last edited:
Random non-music talk:

I was in Florence a few days ago for a conference. It's a beautiful place of course, but the most memorable thing from the whole trip is the amount of Americans I encountered there. :lol:

In big or well-known European cities, you always come across some Americans of course but it's typically only a small proportion of tourists/students. In Florence it seemed like 1/2 were American. I guess it's talked up a lot due to it being the birthplace of the renaissance etc?

I know you love to not hear about old music, so I'll have to just go ahead and say my favourite album of this year - that I heard this year, is what I mean - is Street Hassle.

No, I'm not kidding.

My favourite song that I heard this year is this:

I've never heard this Van album (that early-to-mid 80s period is a bit of a blank spot to me), but my curiosity is awakened. Thanks.

Random non-music talk:

I was in Florence a few days ago for a conference. It's a beautiful place of course, but the most memorable thing from the whole trip is the amount of Americans I encountered there. :lol:

In big or well-known European cities, you always come across some Americans of course but it's typically only a small proportion of tourists/students. In Florence it seemed like 1/2 were American. I guess it's talked up a lot due to it being the birthplace of the renaissance etc?

don't diss my hipster college friends

I've never heard this Van album (that early-to-mid 80s period is a bit of a blank spot to me), but my curiosity is awakened. Thanks.

np. Honestly I think the 80s altogether were pretty barren terrain for Morrison - not embarrassing the way they were for a lot of artists of that generation, just kind of stagnant - and the 90s and since not a lot better. But this is (originally) off Common One which is pretty much 1980 on the dot, so sort of the tail end of the seventies in a way.

speaking of old music I really like second Weather Report album. it can be a bit too smooth at times but it's pretty abstract and cool

np. Honestly I think the 80s altogether were pretty barren terrain for Morrison - not embarrassing the way they were for a lot of artists of that generation, just kind of stagnant - and the 90s and since not a lot better. But this is (originally) off Common One which is pretty much 1980 on the dot, so sort of the tail end of the seventies in a way.

Have to disagree on the 90s and late-period stuff. I think Hymns to the Silence is one of his best, period, followed it up with the great Too Long In Exile, and while something like Days Like This sounds a little slick and Adult Contemporary there’s some great writing, hooks, and singing on it. He was actually pretty consistent through the 90s; each album had a fair number of highlights, and not embarrassing in the way most of the 1980s was for Dylan, to make a comparison. From the 2000s, Down The Road is a standout, his best of the decade, not just with his originals but he does a stunning cover of Georgia on My Mind.

Huh, will have to check out that Van Morrison album as well. (Edit: Damn, it's not on Spotify.)

Also, got tickets to see Robyn next March YAY!

Have to disagree on the 90s and late-period stuff. I think Hymns to the Silence is one of his best, period, followed it up with the great Too Long In Exile, and while something like Days Like This sounds a little slick and Adult Contemporary there’s some great writing, hooks, and singing on it. He was actually pretty consistent through the 90s; each album had a fair number of highlights, and not embarrassing in the way most of the 1980s was for Dylan, to make a comparison. From the 2000s, Down The Road is a standout, his best of the decade, not just with his originals but he does a stunning cover of Georgia on My Mind.

You're probably right. I have to be honest, I bounced hard off some of the nineties stuff when it was contemporary and I was a lot younger than I am now. So I should acknowledge I haven't heard Hymns to The Silence, for example (except for 'I'm Not Feeling It Anymore'). All I know of Too Long In Exile is the (excellent) reworking of Gloria.

It's funny you mention Days Like This, as it probably colours some of what I'm saying. I bought it sight unseen in 1995, and before I'd really gotten any handle on his older stuff, and it struck me as a pretty lifeless record (as one reviewer remarked 'Morrison sounds like he couldn't care less about the words coming out of his mouth'). But with a big caveat: Ancient Highway is a mesmerising track, and to a lesser extent so is Melancholia. So I'll grant you the highlights are there.

A bit later I got The Healing Game when it came out, and it didn't click with me at all. But fair play, maybe I'd feel - a lot - differently now. I ended up approaching his stuff starting with Astral Weeks like I should have done in the first place. Oh and then that The Philosopher's Stone outtakes compilation in the late nineties, which ironically gives a better sense of the man than his official Best Ofs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom