Random Music Talk CXVI: The world doesn't actually revolve around Mack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Quadrophenia is the be-all and end-all of rock operas as far as I'm concerned - the only one I've heard that actually succeeds as a concept. It's endlessly impressive how smoothly the whole thing flows despite the amount of exposition there is in the story line. Then of course there's The Rock -> Love Reign O'er Me, which might as well be the definition of epic.

Some really good electronic albums coming out this year. I'm now enjoying For Those Of You Who Have Never (And Also Those Who Have) by Huerco S. I also love the title.

I know this is ridiculous, but I never really knew Last Nite and Don't Look Back in Anger until I heard them at trivia tonight.

Last Nite is a good song but jesus christ I hope Iggy Pop got royalties. It sounds like a mishmash of the songs on Lust for Life.

Don't Look Back in Anger is a decent song with Imagine weirdly tacked onto the front of it?

Fight me GAF

That is crazy. Two great songs by the way. I recall Gallagher saying that the Sally in the song comes from Surrender.

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app

From the all knowing Wikipedia:

Of the character "Sally" referred to in the song he commented, "I don't actually know anybody called Sally. It's just a word that fit, y'know, might as well throw a girl's name in there. It's gotta guarantee somebody a shag off a bird called Sally, hasn't it?"

There are conflicting reports on how the name Sally got in there, but it's not based on anyone he ever knew and not, uh, Sadie.

Supposedly, someone thought to ask him if Sally was based on the Stone Roses' Sally Cinnamon and Noel thought that was a good catch. But no, it's just a name.

Last edited:
I'm watching Grimes open for Florence and the Machine. Claire says that something "fucked ip" happened to them today and apologizes for her voice. Then she ends World Princess Part 2 abruptly, rushes off the stage and the show ends there (no Kill V Maim, argh). Hope she's ok.

Last edited:
The best album I've heard for the first time this year that isn't from this year is HEY VENUS! by Super Furry Animals.

The best album I've heard this year period is BLACKSTAR by David Bowie.

Reportedly in stable condition at the moment, but he's apparently been sick a lot lately.

Yeah after what happened with Prince, (cancelled shows, emergency landing for hospital visit, then reports he's fine just the flu, then found dead a day later) I'm a little concerned for Marvin Lee Aday.

Odelay turned 20. 1996 was a heck of a year in music now that I reflect on other releases that year. Also, that was my senior year of high school. Is old.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

We're not going. Ended up spending a chunk of change for a down payment on a car, so concert spending has been minimal. I skipped Speedy Ortiz too. All I've got this summer is Parquet Courts and FYF in August.

Back
Top Bottom