Random Music Talk CXIX: Donko Blocko

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's such a weird takeaway from her Billboard interview. Such a cherry pick. Did you read the interview or are you just regurgitating a headline? There were like two little lines in there about hip hop in the middle of a long, thoughtful, honest interview. And she never said anything explicitly about "distancing from hip hop". She praises Kendrick. She just said she grew tired of "Lamborghinis, Rolexes, and suck on my cock" lyrics. And what's wrong with growing tired of that? The interview is a far cry from her "distancing from hip hop because it oversexualizes women".

Read the whole interview, cherry picker.

My issue isn't with her opinion of modern hip hop. Collaborate with whoever, rebrand yourself, I don't care. My issue is that it's hypocritical for her to speak so dismissively about a style of hip hop that was closely tied in with the oversexualization of her own career. I can't buy her claim that "she's so not that" when the Dead Petz era was just a couple years ago.

But hell, what do I know, she can change her mind about sexually-charged music if she wants to. It just ties in a little too neatly with her new message and direction. It's not a secret that I can be a cynical asshole sometimes.

And yes, I did read the interview. Three weeks sober!

That's such a weird takeaway from her Billboard interview. Such a cherry pick. Did you read the interview or are you just regurgitating a headline? There were like two little lines in there about hip hop in the middle of a long, thoughtful, honest interview. And she never said anything explicitly about "distancing from hip hop". She praises Kendrick. She just said she grew tired of "Lamborghinis, Rolexes, and suck on my cock" lyrics. And what's wrong with growing tired of that? The interview is a far cry from her "distancing from hip hop because it oversexualizes women".

Read the whole interview, cherry picker.

All due respect this is a bullshit post. It was okay for her to profit off black culture when it suited her but to now turn around and criticise its "misogyny" when her last five years have been about profiting off black women's sexuality?!!?!!? Shit ur arse down Miley.

Wilco letting their fans vote on which album they will play in full. Very cool. Solid Sound Festival

Unsurprisingly YHF leads the way comfortably followed by Being There and A Ghost is Born.

I voted for Summerteeth :angry:

Yeah, that's weird. As much as Ashes of American Flags/Pot Kettle Black/Poor Places/Reservations are not frequent live staples, why wouldn't you vote for a double album in these circumstances?

Most of YHF and AGIB are played live regularly. Summerteeth has been pretty well represented in recent tours.

The thing with Wilco is that they play their back catalogue a lot, even obscure songs. So you really don't need to wait for a "full album" show to listen to some rarities. So not a big deal anyway.

All due respect this is a bullshit post. It was okay for her to profit off black culture when it suited her but to now turn around and criticise its "misogyny" when her last five years have been about profiting off black women's sexuality?!!?!!? Shit ur arse down Miley.

Last five years have been profiting off black women's sexuality? What the fuck are you talking about? Her last album was a ridiculously stupid Flaming Lips collaboration that she put out for free. And that was years ago. She hasn't done shit the last couple years except post on the internet about how awful it would be if Trump is elected (that sounds funny to type out now...god Miley rules).

Yeah, all of that reeks of profiting off black women's sexuality. You sit your ass down, cobbler. You probably didn't read the interview either?

Last edited:
The integrity of both Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift is the hill I will ultimately die on, by the way.

This debate has given me

6CasMhK.png

Seeing it tomorrow. Rewatched the first one the other night and liked it so much more than when I saw it in the theater.

"Now let us put more of this liquid into our bodies!"

Yay a conversation between a bunch of men telling a woman how she should feel about her body and sexuality :hyper:

Yay a conversation between a bunch of men telling a woman how she should feel about her body and sexuality :hyper:

The criticism wasn't towards Miley's feelings regarding her own body. I personally couldn't care less how she portrays herself and it's not something I feel I should weigh in on regardless. The criticism involved her judgmental attitude toward the very music and culture that she used to build her brand.

It's cute that she wants to pretend Juicy J is disgusting now that she's trying to rebrand for Trump's America, but I don't buy it.

Last edited:
:sad: It's the Fonda. I'm still surprised I was able to nab tickets to the Avalanches show there.

New Afghan Whigs album is really good btw

I'm sorry what in the actual fuck are you talking about? That isn't even close to what we were discussing. Good lord.

My language there is a bit aggressive but I think you misjudged what we were talking about.

Your husband and I follow and enjoy Miley Cyrus not for her body or her sexuality but for her music. Speaking for myself now, she has one of the most distinct and endearingly off-kilter singing voices in mainstream pop music history.

I did like Bangerz a lot, that was a really solid album. If she wants to expand her sound beyond her hip hop influenced material, that's great, but she shouldn't be embarrassed of the music from that period even if she feels she's outgrown the lyrical content.

That said, the country-tinged album she has planned could be an enormous step up from her pre-Bangerz work because it's been created outside of Disney's sphere of influence.

Last edited:
My language there is a bit aggressive but I think you misjudged what we were talking about.

Your husband and I follow and enjoy Miley Cyrus not for her body or her sexuality but for her music. Speaking for myself now, she has one of the most distinct and endearingly off-kilter singing voices in mainstream pop music history.

#mansplaining

Maybe a little bit, although I don't think I really even know what that means. I can promise you there was no ill intent, though. It's all LemonMelons fault anyway.

Last edited:
real talk - am i a weird terrible hipster if i suddenly start listening to *a lot* of vaporwave? :uhoh:

Last edited:
It's already safe to say that the new Slowdive album will end up in my year end's top 10.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom