Random Music Talk CXIV: No more rock star deaths for a while please (not even Stapp)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I listen to Electro-Shock Blues, I feel it for hours afterward. That's still the saddest album I've ever heard, even if it's not the most unrelentingly dark.

I need to listen to Eels at some point. He's a poster boy for sad music, I know.

Most depressing album I have ever heard is Floyd's The Final Cut.

I do need to give that a proper listen. Wish it had just been called Roger Waters' first solo album though.

I saw her live in January and she's a very pleasant person who wants everyone to know she's not nearly as sad as you would think from the album. She's only 20 but it seems like her issues stemmed from a breakup and a drug habit that are both in the past now.

I'm pretty sure she has an actual rock band that she fronts, which I imagine may get more recognition now that her album has been (relatively) successful.

Yeah, I saw her in January as well. While between songs she was more light-hearted, watching her sing tracks like Rejoice and Go Home was really emotional. It looked like she barely held it together.

But thankfully it does look like those struggles are in the past and she does have a friendly, more upbeat banter. I think she was surprised at how quiet and respectful the audience was during the songs. It was a fantastic and raw performance.

That's really good to hear. The lyrics are just so visceral, I can imagine seeing her live would be a great experience. Really look forward to what she does in the future, but for now, I've got another great, if very sad, album.

I will happily flock to anything Natasha Khan does.

Has there been any good electronica released this year yet? Seems like it's been slow in that genre as of late.

I will happily flock to anything Natasha Khan does.

Has there been any good electronica released this year yet? Seems like it's been slow in that genre as of late.

Did you listen to Sexwitch?

Yes. Mr Fingers has new music out, Moodyman's DJ Kicks fucking rules, the new Junior Boys album is great.

I will happily fap to anything Natasha Khan does.

Okay...

daffy-duck-masturbating.jpg

I didn't like what I heard of the new Wall of Death album enough to order it. That's a disappointment because I liked Main Obsessions a LOT.

But I like Sturgill Simpson's new single quite a bit, so I can look forward to that album.

Hey you guys, apparently it's been 30 years since Master of Puppets was released. oh well time passes pretty fast I guess.

New Thao & The Get Down Stay Down album is really strong. More consistent than her last effort. I think there are a few fans floating around here.

No, they got out up on blocks in some redneck's yard and that was the end.

New Thao & The Get Down Stay Down album is really strong. More consistent than her last effort. I think there are a few fans floating around here.

Good, I had kinda floated away from her a bit, but I'm ready to come back.

The new Big Pink EP is good, but I'm disappointed it was only an EP. The way they'd be going on on Twitter, I thought it was a full album.

The new Big Pink EP is good, but I'm disappointed it was only an EP. The way they'd be going on on Twitter, I thought it was a full album.

I heard a song from their debut over the PA at a gig recently and it took me a second to place it before thinking "oh yeah, those guys! Wonder what happened to them?" So they still exist huh.

I heard a song from their debut over the PA at a gig recently and it took me a second to place it before thinking "oh yeah, those guys! Wonder what happened to them?" So they still exist huh.

I feel like I'm the only person who still likes them.

I feel like I'm the only person who still likes them.

I remember seeing them live in 2010 and, for the first half of the show, thinking they were poised to move onto bigger venues, better things... then the second half of the show really slowed down, much like their career. I'm not sure I listened to the second album more than two or three times.

I still listen to a bunch of tracks from the debut though - mainly Crystal Visions and the run from At War With the Sun to Frisk. (Hence taking a moment to pick Too Young to Love at the aforementioned gig.)

The new Esperanza Spalding album...actually kind of rocks. I hadn't heard anything by her before, but this is some pretty nasty jazz fusion. Apparently it's her first album of entirely original compositions. Something of a midway point between 70s Miles Davis and the last Janelle Monae album.

Last edited:
I wasn't super high on Rihanna's latest album, but this song in particular is a banger:

The new Esperanza Spalding album...actually kind of rocks. I hadn't heard anything by her before, but this is some pretty nasty jazz fusion. Apparently it's her first album of entirely original compositions. Something of a midway point between 70s Miles Davis and the last Janelle Monae album.

If this is even partly accurate I should love it.

Yeah, I'm sold.

Jesus & Mary Chain and Sleater-Kinney gigs this week. What year is it again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom