Random Music Talk CVII - At Home with Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless I missed it Ax, I haven't seen you talk about Alpine's new single. Pretty decent. New album out June 12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6I4MZUtCCo

The new single is great! I saw them do a couple of other new songs at the NGV in February too and they were exciting. Can't wait for their gig at the Forum in June - and can't believe they are now big enough to play the Forum!

I'll probably come. I don't think I've actually seen them live yet.

Btw, is there anywhere you would recommend for finding good Aussie music? A place where you can keep track of Australian music releases? Alpine's upcoming album wasn't on Metacritic.

To be honest, I normally find out about new Aussie releases via the usual music websites - Faster Louder, Mess & Noise, Tone Deaf, that sort of thing - RYM, Facebook, and just going to gigs.

And do come to the Alpine gig. :up:

Can you filter RYM via country?

You can actually, at least insofar as albums already rated go. Unfortunately you're at the whim of what people add, so Australia can be a bit patchy.

So here's the 2015 chart for Australia: https://rateyourmusic.com/customcha...gin_countries=Australia&limit=none&countries=

The chart's a bit sparse and uninspiring but it reminds me, I noticed that Twerps are playing a gig with Terrible Truths at the Tote next Friday. That's kind of tempting.

The new Best Coast album doesn't sound anything like the single everyone went wild over, it's jangly like always, but it's still a pretty good record. Probably their most consistent.

You can actually, at least insofar as albums already rated go. Unfortunately you're at the whim of what people add, so Australia can be a bit patchy.

So here's the 2015 chart for Australia: https://rateyourmusic.com/customcha...gin_countries=Australia&limit=none&countries=

The chart's a bit sparse and uninspiring but it reminds me, I noticed that Twerps are playing a gig with Terrible Truths at the Tote next Friday. That's kind of tempting.

I was about to say that Triple J's gig guide is pretty great but it doesn't list that Twerps gig. Maybe I'll just fucking read Beat.

The new Best Coast album doesn't sound anything like the single everyone went wild over, it's jangly like always, but it's still a pretty good record. Probably their most consistent.

Yeah, it's solid. At least a few of the songs also owe something to the same dream pop influences as California Nights. Feeling OK seems like it was cut from similar cloth.

Metz II is streaming on NPR.

First Listen : NPR

This is good. A bit monotonous by the end, but it's short enough that that's not a major issue. The best songs beat anything on the first album.

I suspected this might be the case. I'm still willing to give the new one a listen on the strength of the title track, though, which is one of the best songs I have heard this year.

4a063fd8114bd4c8f2f7c6ef1abd9521.jpg

Uncle_moe's_family_feedbag.png

"Madman's Honey" by Wire.

This album actually isn't terrible, as you'd expect from a Wire album in the 1980s. It's synth pop and far less abrasive than their earlier, artier work, but there's still a hint of sarcasm throughout the entire thing. Also, the songs are well written and very pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom