Quote from Rush Limbaugh's appearance on CBS evening news...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
also, it's bad thinking, and disasterous to any sort of military/intelligence/political strategy needed to deal with radical Islamism. the "war on terror" is an example of bad thinking -- it's disasterous to conflate al Qaeda, Hezbollah, Hamas, and the Iraqi insurgency as a single movement, for they must all be dealt with differently.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Fuck this!

Once again Mac with his extremist hate, but nothing to back it up...

How is his post extremist or hateful?

AEON said:

How is his post extremist or hateful?

i found this extremist and not hateful ... just hugely ignorant:

[q]Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
"I wonder if they are more interested in protecting the terrorists than protecting the American people," said House Majority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio. "They certainly do not want to take the terrorists on and defeat them." [/B]

We'd be on the same page if I hadn't passed the "wondering" stages long ago.[/q]

to say that people who disagree with you or the Bush administration care more about Osama Bin Laden than about everyday Americans is an incredibly offensive thing to say, it makes McCarthy look reasonable.

It's not extremist or hateful to say that Democrats are more interested in protecting terrorists than they are the American people? I'd say that's obviously extremist, biased, and nothing but rhetoric designed to stir up hate and division. I'm a Democrat and believe me, I have no interest in protecting terrorists-and to say that I do just because I disagree with some of what Bush and other Republicans do and have done is really offensive to me personally. And in general it's a sad, sad state of affairs. I guess I'm just an unpatriotic traitor who should move to Afghanistan and join a Taliban training camp.

Irvine511 said:
i found this extremist and not hateful ... just hugely ignorant:

[q]Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
"I wonder if they are more interested in protecting the terrorists than protecting the American people," said House Majority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio. "They certainly do not want to take the terrorists on and defeat them."

We'd be on the same page if I hadn't passed the "wondering" stages long ago.[/q]

to say that people who disagree with you or the Bush administration care more about Osama Bin Laden than about everyday Americans is an incredibly offensive thing to say, it makes McCarthy look reasonable. [/B]
Could I have been "nicer?" I could have. So I state my case as to why there are too many on the far left who cater oversensativity to their representatives in an effort to stop anti-terror legislation.

Frankly, I'm sick of the fact that every major piece of anti-terrorist legislation is being condemned by the so-called civil libertarians who are oversensative about offending anyone, and not taking the safety of their country seriously enough. In a time of war, there will be bureaucracy, for better or worse. Innocent people will be searched, no matter who it is. So why waste bureaucracy on people with random searches, such as senior citizens who have nothing to do with Islamic terrorism?

And why is the NSA wiretapping program being dismantled by an activist judge?

And of course, my favorite example has got to be the Patriot Act. This is an act that did nothing but shrink the bureaucracy in reporting terror suspects. Thanks to this act, we managed to foil a plot to blow up the Brooklyn Bridge. It would never have been saved with pre-9/11 policies.

It seems that the Democrats translated Bush's 9/11 speech as partisan because there were strong statements made about the results of radical Islam, and how we must stay the course in Iraq. Yes, that's divisive because many Democratic lawmen flip-flopped on Iraq once the international community and the UN protested against it. Many in the House and Senate did not want to lose their power, so they chose power over principle.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

What if I had said without doubt I know all Republicans are ignorant homophobic racists?

:rolleyes:

You may not overtly say it, but I think that you and many other on the left certainly imply it.

AEON said:

You may not overtly say it, but I think that you and many other on the left certainly imply it.

:| Thanks, one for missing the point, and not addressing the question you asked. And two, that's complete bullshit, you show me once where I've ever implied that.

Macfistowannabe said:

Frankly, I'm sick of the fact that every major piece of anti-terrorist legislation is being condemned by the so-called civil libertarians who are oversensative about offending anyone, and not taking the safety of their country seriously enough.

Frankly, I'm sick and scared of so called conservatives who use to stand for small government, some even claim they still do, yet push legistation to make government even bigger, and into every facet of our private lives. They use the excuse "terrorist", but nothing stops them legally from being on the other side of your phone conversation, and in your bedroom.

That's what I'm sick of...

Macfistowannabe said:
Could I have been "nicer?" I could have. So I state my case as to why there are too many on the far left who cater oversensativity to their representatives in an effort to stop anti-terror legislation.

Frankly, I'm sick of the fact that every major piece of anti-terrorist legislation is being condemned by the so-called civil libertarians who are oversensative about offending anyone, and not taking the safety of their country seriously enough. In a time of war, there will be bureaucracy, for better or worse. Innocent people will be searched, no matter who it is. So why waste bureaucracy on people with random searches, such as senior citizens who have nothing to do with Islamic terrorism?

And why is the NSA wiretapping program being dismantled by an activist judge?

And of course, my favorite example has got to be the Patriot Act. This is an act that did nothing but shrink the bureaucracy in reporting terror suspects. Thanks to this act, we managed to foil a plot to blow up the Brooklyn Bridge. It would never have been saved with pre-9/11 policies.

It seems that the Democrats translated Bush's 9/11 speech as partisan because there were strong statements made about the results of radical Islam, and how we must stay the course in Iraq. Yes, that's divisive because many Democratic lawmen flip-flopped on Iraq once the international community and the UN protested against it. Many in the House and Senate did not want to lose their power, so they chose power over principle.

you really need some facts to back up your boogeymen.

When did virile American men become such P***ies. Your more likely to get run over crossing the street, killed in a car wreck (over 50,000 last year).

I'd rather take my chances on an intelligent LEGAL processes.

Use FISA for the freaking wiretapping. The UK used warrants for the recent arrests.

The Brooklyn bridge example is a joke.

Surely we can do better than some of the cheap soundbites in these last two pages. If someone's position on an issue leaves you dumbstruck, try asking them some good constructive questions to give you and others a clearer sense of what in fact they do and don't support. If you're convinced there's nothing constructive to be had from them, then why perpetuate a pointless cycle by jabbing back. There are some worthwhile points to be pursued here, but they won't be uncovered by bickering and sniping.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

:| Thanks, one for missing the point, and not addressing the question you asked. And two, that's complete bullshit, you show me once where I've ever implied that.

You know, you're actually right. I went back and looked at a few of your posts and you've never implied that Republicans are "ignorant homophobic racists" but you do have a certain opinion about Americans that serve or voluteer in the military.

Here's your post:

12/31/02

"I believe the military is made up of a whole spectrum of individuals that range from people who just want to kill people to people who just couldn't find anything else to do with their life."

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1049113#post1049113

Wow.

You might want to make consider making amends with a few of people that are serving our country.

Westport said:

You know, you're actually right. I went back and looked at a few of your posts and you've never implied that Republicans are "ignorant homophobic racists" but you do have a certain opinion about Americans that serve or voluteer in the military.

Here's your post:

12/31/02

"I believe the military is made up of a whole spectrum of individuals that range from people who just want to kill people to people who just couldn't find anything else to do with their life."

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1049113#post1049113

Wow.

You might want to make consider making amends with a few of people that are serving our country.

Yes that was 4 years ago. I guess you didn't see the posts where I apologized, and stated I was wrong, that that is not what I meant. I guess you also missed my point of making an extreme untrue sentence to counter another extreme untrue sentence. Context can be a bitch can't it.

I have many friends in the service and respect what they are doing very much. In the four years after that post there are several post praising the service of those men and women as well.

But if you want to take one line from 4 years ago out of context go right ahead.

Oh but by the way I'm pretty sure it's against forum rules to bring in past threads unrelated to the subject.

Nice try though.:|

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yes that was 4 years ago. I guess you didn't see the posts where I apologized, and stated I was wrong, that that is not what I meant. I guess you also missed my point of making an extreme untrue sentence to counter another extreme untrue sentence. Context can be a bitch can't it.

I have many friends in the service and respect what they are doing very much. In the four years after that post there are several post praising the service of those men and women as well.

But if you want to take one line from 4 years ago out of context go right ahead.

Oh but by the way I'm pretty sure it's against forum rules to bring in past threads unrelated to the subject.

You're right, I didn't see any posts where you apologized and stated you were wrong and that would be nice to see. :|

Westport said:

You're right, I didn't see any posts where you apologized and stated you were wrong and that would be nice to see. :|

Private messages. And I explained myself in that thread and others. The fact that you feel the need to make this an issue baffles me. You weren't even a poster in FYM back then and you clearly haven't been in here long enough to know me. So really this is nothing but a personal attack, and a very lame one at that.

Westport said:

Here's your post:

12/31/02

Wow.

This is a common view of the military...especially from the Left. Being a Lieutenant in the National Guard has been a HUGE strain on my family (especially my two young children), my friends, and my employer. But I didn't join to have license to kill and I certainly had many better things to do with my life. (and so does everyone in my unit).

I think BVS probably didn't mean this quote to come out this way, but I certainly do hear it from those who claim to "support the troops." The funny thing is, during Officer Candidate School I met some of the brightest, funniest, and honorable men I've ever met in my life. It helps my family (and myself) to know that our country is in good hands.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Private messages. And I explained myself in that thread and others. The fact that you feel the need to make this an issue baffles me. You weren't even a poster in FYM back then and you clearly haven't been in here long enough to know me. So really this is nothing but a personal attack, and a very lame one at that.

No personal attack intended. But knowing that Aeon is in the National Guard it did stand out and upset me. I believe you if you're saying you didn't mean it.:up:

AEON said:

I think BVS probably didn't mean this quote to come out this way, but I certainly do hear it from those who claim to "support the troops."

First of all thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt.

But since we're not letting a 4 year quote die, and we're now using it to attack the left. Let's actually look at the quote.

A spectrum, which means a wide array of entities, encompasses many colors of life.

In growing up I'll give you an example of some friends and aquaintances who went into the service, to show you where this quote came from.

One of my best friends, one of the most intelligent people I know graduated from the Naval Acedemy and still served up until the last few months.

A neighbor of mine I grew up with was probably one of the most sadistic sons of bitches I've ever known and he joined the marines with the hope that he'd be able to kill someone.

I also had a good friend, one the nicest guys just not very focused, didn't know where he was going in life sat on a couch for several years smoking pot. Joined the Army to give himself a future.

So here are some of the extremes that make up the spectrum of people who join the service...

I admit if wasn't worded well, but please don't let that stop anyone from attacking me or the left or whoever...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

it has been stated many times
that this is against the rules

what the hell possesses a person to search a
post from 4 years back?

this place would become a pissy worthless place
is we all started cutting and pasting from 4 years back

My experience with the military.

After college I had the honor to clerk for a retired Major. General USMCR. You can see him in the foreground in the film of the Marines raising the flag at Iowa Jima. Family man and helped take care of mine. One of the greatest men I have ever known. Cornell University and the College of William and Mary. He was general counsel for the National Geographic Society. Avid sailor. He sailed every Newport-Bermuda Race from 1964 – 1982, four transatlantic races including, Bermuda to Travemunde, Germany; Bermuda to Vigo, Spain; Newport to Cork, Ireland; and Bermuda to Khristiansand, Norway.

Five of my dad's twelve brother's volunteered and served our country in WWII. My namesake died in the Air Force. Two of my mom's brothers served in WWII in the Pacific. Her sister's husband was in the Pacific. All great men. Yale, Princton, University of Georgia, University of North Carolina, Williams, Notre Dame... From presidents of corporations, board members to a peach farmer. All great lives. A few still alive today.

My mom's youngest brother was in the Marines and served in Korea. Later he became editor and chief of one of the top publishing houses in New York City. A character.

In the 1950s, my Dad was a captain in the Coast Guard. He later served his country in other capacities.

When I first moved to Los Angeles. I rented a guest house from a man who starred in 30 films and was under contract with Reagan, Bogart, and Cagney at Warner Brothers in the late 30s and early 40s...he volunteered for WWII and served in Italy. He came to my wedding in New York. He became a surrogate grandfather to me and my kids. I was holding his hand 12 years ago when he died. Wonderful, wonderful man.

My wife's great uncle. In his late 80s now. Flew planes over Italy in WWII. We have lunch every three weeks. Great guy. Loves, loves our country.

One of my closest friends growing up served in the Marines OCS. He's now one of the top bond traders for Morgan Stanley in NYC.

Four times a year, I travel to San Francisco on business and I stay at the Marines Memorial Club through a reciprical membership. There's a great breakfast buffet on the 12th floor. Everyone there is either current or retired Marines. They're a good group of men.

All in all, the most solid, the best men I have ever known.

Westport said:
All in all, the most solid, the best men I have ever known.

these sound like wonderful men.

however, i think it is important to make one distinction: many great, wonderful men and women serve in the military; however, simply serving in the military does not automatically make one great and wonderful.

perhaps this gets to the heart of the point that BVS was trying to say?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Frankly, I'm sick and scared of so called conservatives who use to stand for small government, some even claim they still do, yet push legistation to make government even bigger, and into every facet of our private lives.
As I've said over and over again, conservatives have been forced to use government on issues like mock marriages, abortion on demand, drugs, unprotected borders, and the like. But they're not social statists per se. They oppose outdated affirmative action policies, gun control, and teacher's unions.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
They use the excuse "terrorist", but nothing stops them legally from being on the other side of your phone conversation, and in your bedroom.

That's what I'm sick of...
The NSA wiretapping program only traced international calls, and it functions as the modern equivalent for morse code and telegraph interceptions that saved the country in the first two World Wars.

Macfistowannabe said:
As I've said over and over again, conservatives have been forced to use government on issues like mock marriages, abortion on demand, drugs, unprotected borders, and the like. But they're not social statists per se. They oppose outdated affirmative action policies, gun control, and teacher's unions.

The NSA wiretapping program only traced international calls, and it functions as the modern equivalent for morse code and telegraph interceptions that saved the country in the first two World Wars.

1. pray tell, what is a "mock marriage"?

2. the issue with the NSA wiretapping program was that the administration not only didn't get warrants, but that they said they didn't need to get warrants, even though you can get a warrant after the fact. THAT was the issue.

Back
Top Bottom