Question Regarding Edge's Guitars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

animeavalanche

The Fly
In reference The Edge, which guitars has he used on this tour? I am curious if he has, at any point, used or anyone has caught a glimpse of either the sparkly or the black and red circle guitars he used during The Fly in 2005 and 2006. Anyone have a list?

I'm almost certain that those guitars (Line 6 Variax contraptions) have not been used.

Yeah, no Line 6 so far that I can tell. Good to see him using the Gibson ES-(335 i think???) a fair bit on the tour though. Beautiful sounding guitar.

Which is the black guitar with gold trim? Dallas brought it out in Dublin II but the Edge didn't appear to use it.

I have a follow-up question:

What do you think the two mics at Edge's feet are for?

I have my own theories, but none of them make a whole lot of sense.

Anyone?

18723711.jpg

http://twitpic.com/b5bb3/full

They are mic's and lights. Mic's at the top, and two lights (one near the wah peddle, and one near the setlist on the right).

No idea what the mic's are for??? Can't be incorporating it in the sound??? Maybe they are for some weird doco style about Edge's set up and they record his transitions, so you can hear everything over the crowd?

they look like mics but i dont' think they are. weird.

sidenote: that skrydstrup is :drool: :drool: :drool: it's also funny how the boss tuner is the only tiny little stompbox at his feet. seems out of place next to the skrydstrup and those beefy pedals.

I saw on a youtube clip that he's been using the all black strat for Streets. How long has it been since he used this guitar?

My out there hypothesis is that Dallas is somehow monitoring the Edge's transitions via those mics.

Maybe he has a monitor where he can hear if Edge stomps his pedal or not (in case he does not have the visual) and then sets the trigger if Edge misses it...

I really don't get why those are there...

i love how the wah pedal is just labeled "WAH" haha

anyone have a clearer photo of the huge stomp box? im curious as to what all the writing on it says

Which is the black guitar with gold trim? Dallas brought it out in Dublin II but the Edge didn't appear to use it.

Looked like a Gretsch Irish Falcon from my spot! I was quite surprised when Dallas took it out.

May well have been the DM guitar. :grumpy:

On the Strat question: Edge has been using both the all black strat AND the black and white strat for Streets this tour. Lately it's been the black one, with a switch to black and white for Bad. Which amuses me, since it used to be black and white on Rattle and Hum, with the all black for Bad. :hmm:

They are mic's and lights. Mic's at the top, and two lights (one near the wah peddle, and one near the setlist on the right).

No idea what the mic's are for??? Can't be incorporating it in the sound??? Maybe they are for some weird doco style about Edge's set up and they record his transitions, so you can hear everything over the crowd?

Those mics are there to pick up the sound from edges amps. He has mics up against the grill fronts on the amps and then he has mics further away as well. This technique makes the sound a little bit fatter and gives it a bit more presence. I've read dallas talking about it somewhere, and i know the usefulness of the technique cause its how i record guitar parts :)

Those mics are there to pick up the sound from edges amps. He has mics up against the grill fronts on the amps and then he has mics further away as well.

I don't think they were there on previous tours though - I didn't see them on the dvds.

Those mics are there to pick up the sound from edges amps. He has mics up against the grill fronts on the amps and then he has mics further away as well. This technique makes the sound a little bit fatter and gives it a bit more presence. I've read dallas talking about it somewhere, and i know the usefulness of the technique cause its how i record guitar parts :)

Really?

That is very interesting!

Back
Top Bottom