Quasi-Baseless Speculation About New Material, Continued 'Wide Awake in Europe' etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only imagine vinyl wouldn't be the only option. I imagine their goal with this is to, you know, actually sell a lot of copies. So there must be other formats in the pipe as well.

^ just buy the vinyl, and download the rip :up:

Can't imagine with all their talk of being tech savvy etc they would revert to a nearly dead medium and skip all current/future mediums :lol:

Yeah, that wouldn't make any sense. Lots of artists are doing vinyl ... but along with other formats.

I really don't even want vinyl - that shit won't fit on my CD shelves. :wink:

Either way, if it IS real, we can expect an announcement very soon. If amazon has it up, they will want to get details out first. Can't remeber what time it was they make major announcements (it was EXACTLY the same time of day that they announced NLOTH and 360DVD.)

Think it was 10am or 11am Aus EDST.

Which is 30-90 mins away now.

I am very worried that it is a collection of the best live versions of the new songs...
The original Wide Awake In America was half-live, half-studio. I wouldn't be shocked if this is the same.
EDIT: Just realized this is supposedly going to be released on Interscope. Say what? Also, it's $10.43 US, which is pretty damn good for a vinyl EP.

Yeah, and it was only 4 tracks too....

Hopefully there is a new live version of Bad, then the 6 new songs in the studio.

That is best case

I dont care if Glasto is live, but I want studio Mercy, EBW and North Star
:up:
I get the impression that Glastonbury is one of those songs that's better live, anyway. I mean, come on, they wrote it specifically for a festival!
EDIT: If they are all live, this EP could be meant to build hype for a new album. We could be getting an announcement of a new U2 album tonight. Holy crap.

Just a thought...

Today is meant to be the South African tour announcement...

Does that make it more or less likely we get an EP announcement today?

Just a thought...

Today is meant to be the South African tour announcement...

Does that make it more or less likely we get an EP announcement today?
:pray:
EDIT: U2.com currently has "Wide Awake In Rome" as a headline on the main page. Foreshadowing? :hmm:

:up:
I get the impression that Glastonbury is one of those songs that's better live, anyway. I mean, come on, they wrote it specifically for a festival!
EDIT: If they are all live, this EP could be meant to build hype for a new album. We could be getting an announcement of a new U2 album tonight. Holy crap.

Fair point there. That would be the only redeeming quality a live only EP would have though. We have excellent records of all the songs. Vienna EBW, Rome Mercy, just phenomenal.

Yeah, and it was only 4 tracks too....

Hopefully there is a new live version of Bad, then the 6 new songs in the studio.

That is best case

I think the best case is:
Studio versions of the following:
Return of the Stingray Guitar (full version, with lyrics)
Mercy
Every Breaking Wave (full band)
Glastonbury
Boy Falls From the Sky
North star (full band)

THEN, live version of all these songs...

THEN, live recordings of rarities heard this leg - e.g. HMTMKMKM, Bad, Spanish eyes etc

...But that's way too much for an ep, right?... oh well, a boy can dream :drool:

hahaha, yeah I was trying to keep it within the expectations of an EP :p

We might all be going nuts for nothing though. Worst case is either it isn't real OR even worse:

It's like the Popheart EP and it is just 4 live versions of OLD songs

hahaha, yeah I was trying to keep it within the expectations of an EP :p

We might all be going nuts for nothing though. Worst case is either it isn't real OR even worse:

It's like the Popheart EP and it is just 4 live versions of OLD songs

Yeah, very good points.
I seriously doubt they'd release an ep of old songs, after all the statements about new music... i just can't see them taking the piss to THAT extent!
However, i'm still very worried that its just... not real. I mean, all we're going on here is an amazon pre-order thing. Didn't hmv and other stores do this when they believed Songs of Ascent was coming out? :depressed:

I think the best case is:
Studio versions of the following:
Return of the Stingray Guitar (full version, with lyrics)
Mercy
Every Breaking Wave (full band)
Glastonbury
Boy Falls From the Sky
North star (full band)

THEN, live version of all these songs...

THEN, live recordings of rarities heard this leg - e.g. HMTMKMKM, Bad, Spanish eyes etc

...But that's way too much for an ep, right?... oh well, a boy can dream :drool:
Not if you're Sufjan Stevens.
Anyway, here's my (realistic) guess:
SIDE ONE: Studio Recordings
- Mercy
- Every Breaking Wave
- North Star
SIDE TWO: Live Recordings
- Return of the Stingray Guitar
- Glastonbury
- Bad (because, with that title, you sort of have to have it, and this would explain why they played it at the last few European gigs.)

Boy Falls From The Sky would also be acceptable on either side.

It's real. I think the "Wide awake in Rome" wording on U2.com kinda confirms that.
The question is, what is it????

I think an EP would be 4-6 songs right? 8 at the absolute most.... So I don't expect live AND studio versions of anything. Any given track would be one or the other methinks.....

I think the point about it being all live to promote an album soon is a good one. That is obviously contingent on them releasing an album soon.

I think though, if that was the case, there would be 1 studio song, either EBW or Mercy, and it will be released to radio as the 'first' single.

My guess?

Return of the Stringray Guitar
Glastonbury
North Star
Mercy
Bad(Live)
Moment of Surrender (Live)

This lets them save EBW for SOA.
Good guess.
I'm 99% sure at least some of the EP will be live, due to the reference to Europe in the title. Having studio recordings of the new songs and live recordings of a few old songs, like on Wide Awake in America, would be ideal (though Glasto, and possibly Stingray, would be great live.)

I think the point about it being all live to promote an album soon is a good one. That is obviously contingent on them releasing an album soon.

I think though, if that was the case, there would be 1 studio song, either EBW or Mercy, and it will be released to radio as the 'first' single.
In this case, I'd guess Mercy. EBW is tied pretty tightly to SOA, whereas Mercy has been more or less homeless since HUTDAB.

Where do you guys see "Wide Awake In Rome" on the U2.com page?

For me i see it in the middle picture (of 3) at the top of the homepage. Been there for a few days. Seems to be a reference to them playing bad there, but of course i hope it has deeper implications...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom