Pussy, France Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

Fuck our boring airports!

Which has led my mind on a tangent. Boring airports --> boring train stations --> interesting train stations --> video of crowded-as-fuck trains in places like India where people sit on the roofs and stuff --> remembering that in some train videos from patriarchal societies and such, there are sometimes markings identifying separate carriages for men and women --> question for Ian or you or anybody else who may know: do seating divisions like that ever occur on planes too, like separate cabins in the aircraft are reserved for men or women only?

i doubt it, planes were less massively used and more genteel, so the gentleladies on the train needed protection from the heathen men on the train but no heathens could afford planes

also if you want a crazy nasty exciting train station, karlsplatz in vienna is a must-see

Varitek said:
I hate the US security measures not just because they're ridiculous and probably ineffective vs real danger but also because they make other countries retaliate with the same measures.

Most of it is just bullshit pandering by politicians, "look, we're doing something!", so that idiot voters feel safer. In reality, these security measures aren't going to stop any terrorist with a clue. I also feel like it's the typical case of taking precautions AFTER the fact - meanwhile, anybody with half a brain who wants to launch an attack will choose some other method that has been overlooked rather than the airlines.

Also, I had no idea about the chips in passport thing. When I last had mine done, back in 2005, we had problems with my photo, since apparently now they need a certain degree of visibility for the eyes for scanning purposes or who-knows-what. I HAVE to keep my glasses on when taking the photo, as my eyes are too weak to stay open for the flash with my glasses off. But my first photo was rejected for having too much glare. So in the end, I had to have my head at a really demented angle and have the stupidest passport photo ever. Plus, due to the paper it's printed on, I look orange.

major_panic said:

Of course we are. Isn't that one of the prerequisites of being here?

Clearly not, since I'm still posting here! :laugh:

Axver said:

Most of it is just bullshit pandering by politicians, "look, we're doing something!", so that idiot voters feel safer. In reality, these security measures aren't going to stop any terrorist with a clue. I also feel like it's the typical case of taking precautions AFTER the fact - meanwhile, anybody with half a brain who wants to launch an attack will choose some other method that has been overlooked rather than the airlines.

Also, I had no idea about the chips in passport thing. When I last had mine done, back in 2005, we had problems with my photo, since apparently now they need a certain degree of visibility for the eyes for scanning purposes or who-knows-what. I HAVE to keep my glasses on when taking the photo, as my eyes are too weak to stay open for the flash with my glasses off. But my first photo was rejected for having too much glare. So in the end, I had to have my head at a really demented angle and have the stupidest passport photo ever. Plus, due to the paper it's printed on, I look orange.

passport photos are always dumb, don't worry. i know one guy who i travelled iwht for debate had such a bad photo, and it was kinda before he finished puberty and his hair was really long and wild. every customs agent and even gate agents quizzed him about the other stamps in his passport and his identity!

as for the after the fact stuff, i totally agree. there's some comedian that joked that terrorists could really get us if they were underwear bombers. at least they always foil the plots before they succeed, even if it means they add stupid restrictions when nobody's gonna try the same plan again.

coolian2 said:
Oops, wrong thread

dude i do that or come close to it all the time, though usually i find something semi-topical to say to cover my tracks, except that time when i didn't catch it til waaaaay later and it was particularly inflamatory and i had to beg khan to change it.

it's a dangerous line we walk.

coolian2 said:

Seattle or Boston.

Or Portland. And i'm aware of the rather vast geographical distances

Well being a Bostonian the answer is obvious. Plus my friend's family is from near Boston and it's at least the right coast.

Damn you spoiling my long distance matchmaking! She would love your sense of humor.

coolian2 said:

Seattle or Boston.

Or Portland. And i'm aware of the rather vast geographical distances

Vazza should just find a job for her friend in one of those cities.

Or send her friend to you.

Axver said:

Fuck our boring airports!

Which has led my mind on a tangent. Boring airports --> boring train stations --> interesting train stations --> video of crowded-as-fuck trains in places like India where people sit on the roofs and stuff --> remembering that in some train videos from patriarchal societies and such, there are sometimes markings identifying separate carriages for men and women --> question for Ian or you or anybody else who may know: do seating divisions like that ever occur on planes too, like separate cabins in the aircraft are reserved for men or women only?

I doubt it. Given airlines like Emirates are making such an effort to be world carriers i don't think they'd fuck it up with that archaic practice.

major_panic said:
Hah, there's a Facebook group called "Calvinism - the group that chooses you!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

NICE

I have been, in addition to the usual procrastination on interference, procrastinating by purging fb friends. people from high school who i haven't talked to in 4 years, or people at college who i wouldn't wave at if we walked by each other, or anyone whose name i look at and go WHO gets the x.

Axver said:

Vazza should just find a job for her friend in one of those cities.

Or send her friend to you.

My friend refused to work in Boston because her mom works there in the same field. She did say she wants to move to Portland or Seattle some day but she's definitely in DC for the next few years.

coolian2 said:

I doubt it. Given airlines like Emirates are making such an effort to be world carriers i don't think they'd fuck it up with that archaic practice.

Yeah. Though I can totally see it on something like Saudi Air or Iranian Airways or whatever the hell hopeless airline the radical fundies run.

Varitek said:

My friend refused to work in Boston because her mom works there in the same field. She did say she wants to move to Portland or Seattle some day but she's definitely in DC for the next few years.

Bullshit! Now you're making stuff up to make it seem like a better match

coolian2 said:

Bullshit! Now you're making stuff up to make it seem like a better match

No. I completely disapprove of her west coast fetish. She's more into Portland anyway.

But yeah, you could go to DC and then move together to the northwest!

hey ian, lately i've been able to hear some of the planes landing at/taking off from the airport 15 minutes' drive away. at least that's what i assume the overhead vroom noise is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom