Problem w/ Grace??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pmag78

Babyface
I see a lot of people that aren't big fans of Grace. I think it's the prettiest lyrics that Bono has ever written. I know people complain about the amount of bass in the song, but I think the lyrics make this song a gem!

I actualy (only) like the music there... without Bono's melody and without his lyrics it would be a great instrumental...

I have no idea what people have against this song. The lyrics are lovely and the song has a subtle beauty that makes it one of the best on ATYCLB.

Some people here get so hung up about the "Grace, it's a name for a girl/it's also a thought that changed the world" line that I think they just have a five minute loop of that.

for me, it's just kind of boring, and lacks the emotion and dramatic intensity of other closing tracks, i.e. Love is Blindness, Wake UP Dead Man

Axver said:
I have no idea what people have against this song. The lyrics are lovely and the song has a subtle beauty that makes it one of the best on ATYCLB.

Some people here get so hung up about the "Grace, it's a name for a girl/it's also a thought that changed the world" line that I think they just have a five minute loop of that.

What I have against it really lies just with the positioning on the album. I couldn't think of a worse album closer or track to follow up New York.

Love Grace
the lyrics, the atmospheric feel, the melody, and has a great positioning, perfect place and ending of a pop rock masterpiece

"Grace finds goodness in everything"

I love the lyrics too, just find the arrangement a little too repetitive. That being said I think it is the perfect close to an album that covers the whole gammit of human experience from exhiliration to desperation.

I agree 100 percent with purpleblackeye - it lacks the emotion and intensity of other enders like Wake Up Dead Man and Love Is Blindness. Mediocre at best.

Grace is a very elegant song. A very fitting closer to an album that focused on elegance and the allure of simplicity rather than transparent emotional intensity which had basically been U2's M.O. until that point. I will admit though that the vocal delivery is wrong in a couple of spots (striIiiiIIIiIngs). A few artistic mistakes don't drag it down to terrible status, though.

Party Boy said:
I like Grace quite a bit actually as a song on its own. I don't think the tracklisting does it any favours on atyclb. Would be a perfect song for Pop or Zooropa... for me anyways!!

I agree with this. I would far rather have seen Grace on an album like Zooropa. It does not belong on ATYCLB.

Grace...mmm...I :heart: it! It would have made almost as beautiful a closer to the album as TGBHF, had I not been fortunate enough to live in Scotland.
That said though...I'd imagine that Yahweh would've made a much more satisfying closer than Fast cars for anyone outside of U.K.
Its funny how many of the recent real U2 album closers (ignoring the bonus tracks) seem to be very Faith (in crisis) orientated:
Yahweh
Grace
Wake Up Dead Man
The Wanderer

The_Edge89 said:

Here you go!
Edge89's own instrumental mix of Grace.
It's hard keeping the quality when you rip the vocals though.
The bass isn't as loud either.

U2 - Grace (E//89 Instrumental Mix)

http://tinyurl.com/6whx6

:up: :applaud:

It's great! Those "noises" left after Bono's voice are also ok...
:)
There's only one word to describe it: Passengers...:wink:

I'm with ya. I love this song. Have you ever heard Nicole Nordeman's version? Excellent, as well.

Grace is crap. The lyrics are even more crap.
"Grace, it's a name for a girl... it's also a thought that changed the world"
I mean, how can a guy who wrote a lyrical masterpiece as Running To Stand Still write THIS?

djerdap said:
Grace is crap. The lyrics are even more crap.
"Grace, it's a name for a girl... it's also a thought that changed the world"
I mean, how can a guy who wrote a lyrical masterpiece as Running To Stand Still write THIS?

If you lived under grace, you'd understand the lyrics completely, and you wouldn't think they were "crap".

80sU2isBest said:

If you lived under grace, you'd understand the lyrics completely, and you wouldn't think they were "crap".

WHAT?

djerdap said:

Grace - it's what Bono lives under. It's what I live under. It's what every Christian lives under. Grace is the Son Of God willingly dying on the cross in man's place. If you accept that, you are living under grace. Grace transforms something ugly - the sinful spirit of man into something beautiful and new. That's what Grace, God's "thought that changed the world", is about.

You forgot

corner said:
Grace...mmm...I :heart: it! It would have made almost as beautiful a closer to the album as TGBHF, had I not been fortunate enough to live in Scotland.
That said though...I'd imagine that Yahweh would've made a much more satisfying closer than Fast cars for anyone outside of U.K.
Its funny how many of the recent real U2 album closers (ignoring the bonus tracks) seem to be very Faith (in crisis) orientated:
Yahweh
Grace
Wake Up Dead Man
The Wanderer

I know you were talking about recent albums, but don't forget about "40" which closes the War album.

And closing an album with a spirtual song goes back quite a while. Bono said this about 40 but it could be applied to HTDAAB and ATYCLB as well:

Years ago, lost for words and forty minutes of recording time left before the end of our studio time, we were still looking for a song to close our third album, War. We wanted to put something explicitly spiritual on the record to balance the politics and the romance of it; like Bob Marley or Marvin Gaye would. We thought about the psalms... "Psalm 40"... There was some squirming. We were a very "white" rock group, and such plundering of the scriptures was taboo for a white rock group unless it was in the "service of Satan". Or worse, Goth.

"Psalm 40" is interesting in that it suggests a time in which grace will replace karma, and love replace the very strict laws of Moses (i.e. fulfil them). I love that thought. David, who committed some of the most selfish as well as selfless acts, was depending on it. That the scriptures are brim full of hustlers, murderers, cowards, adulterers and mercenaries used to shock me; now it is a source of great comfort.

"40" became the closing song at U2 shows and on hundreds of occasions, literally hundreds of thousands of people of every size and shape t-shirt have shouted back the refrain, pinched from "Psalm 6": "'How long' (to sing this song)". I had thought of it as a nagging question –- pulling at the hem of an invisible deity whose presence we glimpse only when we act in love. How long... hunger? How long... hatred? How long until creation grows up at the chaos of its precocious, hell-bent adolescence has been discarded? I thought it odd that the vocalising of such questions could bring such comfort; to me too.

(from Bono's introduction to "Selections from the Book of Psalms: Authorized King James Version", Grove Press, 1999

80sU2isBest said:

Grace - it's what Bono lives under. It's what I live under. It's what every Christian lives under. Grace is the Son Of God willingly dying on the cross in man's place. If you accept that, you are living under grace. Grace transforms something ugly - the sinful spirit of man into something beautiful and new. That's what Grace, God's "thought that changed the world", is about.

THAT STILL DOESN'T MAKE THEM GOOD! I UNDERSTAND THE LYRICS TO ALL OF BRITNEY SPEARS' SONGS BUT DOES THAT MAKE THEM GOOD! Get off your christian made high horse.

Re: You forgot

GatorDistantRun said:

I know you were talking about recent albums, but don't forget about "40" which closes the War album.

And closing an album with a spirtual song goes back quite a while. Bono said this about 40 but it could be applied to HTDAAB and ATYCLB as well:

Years ago, lost for words and forty minutes of recording time left before the end of our studio time, we were still looking for a song to close our third album, War. We wanted to put something explicitly spiritual on the record to balance the politics and the romance of it; like Bob Marley or Marvin Gaye would. We thought about the psalms... "Psalm 40"... There was some squirming. We were a very "white" rock group, and such plundering of the scriptures was taboo for a white rock group unless it was in the "service of Satan". Or worse, Goth.

"Psalm 40" is interesting in that it suggests a time in which grace will replace karma, and love replace the very strict laws of Moses (i.e. fulfil them). I love that thought. David, who committed some of the most selfish as well as selfless acts, was depending on it. That the scriptures are brim full of hustlers, murderers, cowards, adulterers and mercenaries used to shock me; now it is a source of great comfort.

"40" became the closing song at U2 shows and on hundreds of occasions, literally hundreds of thousands of people of every size and shape t-shirt have shouted back the refrain, pinched from "Psalm 6": "'How long' (to sing this song)". I had thought of it as a nagging question –- pulling at the hem of an invisible deity whose presence we glimpse only when we act in love. How long... hunger? How long... hatred? How long until creation grows up at the chaos of its precocious, hell-bent adolescence has been discarded? I thought it odd that the vocalising of such questions could bring such comfort; to me too.

(from Bono's introduction to "Selections from the Book of Psalms: Authorized King James Version", Grove Press, 1999

:up: Aw - thanks for that GDT :wave: !!! I'd actually forgotton about "40" as a closer - and as well as an awesome song, the story behind it is really interesting. Fantastic quote that! :applaud:

Back
Top Bottom