**POSSIBLE SPOILERS** The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 Rehearsal Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so okay

Malala is introducing Miss Sarajevo

and Edge is playing guitar instead of piano!

Hmm, dunno about that one on guitar. Will have to hear it to be sold on it!

I am surprised and shocked that they are putting a new song in the setlist...but very happy they are doing it. Good sign for the future. I hope they release​ a cut before the tour.

Just got home. Miss Sarajevo was playing as I was walking in the front door. Figured that was it (end of set)

House lights are on. Still some quiet sound emanating. Nothing decipherable.

I have ZERO interest in them wasting a spot on Miss Sarajevo if we're just going to listen to a recording of Pavarotti doing the best part of the song. At least when Bono did it there was the shock value of "WOW, BONO HELD THAT NOTE A LONG TIME!" Drop it and play "Gone" instead!

I'm not surprised seeing Miss Sarajevo in the set, with the refugee crisis and all. I would rather have Bono sing the opera part though, I think he sounded great on the 360 tour. I also would love to see All I Want Is You in the set, I feel like that would fit. And Bad. Maybe not, since they've been common on previous tours, but I've yet to hear either of those songs in person so I'm still holding out hope :)

It would be kind of weird to have 80s songs after the main set...there's so little room on this tour for the 90s and beyond that I'd rather they perform as much as they want from the last three decades in the encore. I mean, you're getting 14 songs from UF and JT, do you really need "Bad" or tracks from Rattle & Hum?

That's the only other album with the stature to get an anniversary tour. Besides, that album was made to be played live in sequence.

Yeah, an AB tour in 2021 does seem like a possibility at this point, especially because this setlist mostly ignores the 90s.

The only way to do it right, in my opinion, is to have a main set that's just the 90s or at least mostly the 90s. Not only would it be a nice complement to the JT2017 Tour, but it would open up a lot of room for tracks from Pop and the like.

With Bono sounding pretty good from these rehearsal bits, I don't really see why an AB2021 tour would be hard to pull off, especially since the songs are much easier to sing. They just need to play the songs right though. "The Fly" needs to be like the Elevation version at the very least as the later live takes were practically a different song when compared to the studio version. "Mysterious Ways" needs the slide solo. "Even Better Than The Real Thing" needs to not be a wall of noise like it was on that last arena tour.

And it's really not that big of an ask since only "Acrobat" is the tough one to learn and get right. The other songs are either rather simplistic numbers like "So Cruel" or just semi-regular live tracks that they'll just need to rehearse a little. I guess "Wild Horses" has never really worked live and we might just get a cop out.

I don't think AB has as much love from the general public as Joshua Tree, however, so an arena tour might be more suitable. Yes, it sold nearly as well in the States and rest of the world, but it's not the sort of record that casual fans have latched onto in the same manner. Plus, U2's draw as a live act is clearly waning from the recent highs of the Vertigo and 360 Tours. Who knows what demand will be like four years from now...

I didn't say where in the set they should show up. Just that they fit. If this is a tour for long time fans I wouldn't be surprised if crowd favorites like that show up somewhere. Do I need them? No, I like what they've been rehearsing, those two songs would be a bonus to me.

It's looking more and more like they might end the night with the new song. Last night's rehearsal was 20 songs alone and they didn't even bother with Sunday Bloody Sunday which brings us up to #21.

There is no way that they won't include songs from at least Boy and I would not be shocked if they started off the night with one of their early tunes like "Out of Control" or even "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" (maybe with "The Ocean")...I still think they're just ignoring rehearsing that stuff because it comes rather easily.

They might even take a real gamble and not even rehearse the early tunes until the day of the main show. So, a quick "Electric Co." rehearsal in the afternoon could bring us an opening punch of "I Will Follow" and "Electric Co." that could also surprise fans. Given that the early material mostly just requires them to work on it the previous afternoon before it appears in the set, they may very well just focus on UF and the later stuff in this last week of rehearsals.

You add in two or three early songs and we've basically got a full boat of 23-24 songs. The encore is actually the truly ballsy part...I mean, who would have expected "Ultra Violet" and "Miss Sarajevo" and a new song?

And I think we might avoid "Vertigo" but if I had to gamble, I could see it showing up as the final song of the night, even if it's later on the tour. This would be in line with the 360 shows were it was played more than once in the set and as closer.

I don't think we're ever going to see a regular U2 concert without "Pride" or "Streets" or "Beautiful Day" for the rest of our lives although, obviously, so many of us could do without the former. I actually think it would be wrong for "Beautiful Day" not to show up, and it still sounds marvelous, but that's my own opinion...

Last edited:
I didn't say where in the set they should show up. Just that they fit. If this is a tour for long time fans I wouldn't be surprised if crowd favorites like that show up somewhere. Do I need them? No, I like what they've been rehearsing, those two songs would be a bonus to me.

True. I do think it would actually make for a nice closer to go out of the main set with "Bad" or "All I Want Is You"....a truly epic way to bring an end to the main event. "Mothers" is great, but some of the crowd is undeniably going to start losing interest towards the end of the JT set.

I could definitely see them opening with a couple songs from Boy and then going to New Year's Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday and so on. Ending the night with the new song would be interesting, but so far it sounds pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom