pop vs. atyclb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

U2Man

ONE love, blood, life
although it is a silly thing to do, let's take these two albums song by song and see which one is better :rockon:

atyclb has more singles on it and songs I could listen to separately, whereas pop works better as an album.
So if we are comparing albums.. pop :heart:

Although Pop doesn't rank in the top half of U2's albums for me, I feel it's aeons ahead of ATYCLB. Lyrically, I can't believe ATYCLB came directly after something so deep and insightful as Pop.

But alright, song by song:

1. Discotheque vs Beautiful Day
Discotheque is the better song - live. I really don't enjoy the studio version much. Meanwhile, I consider Beautiful Day to be a "just plain average" U2 song, so it gets the nod over Discotheque.

2. Do You Feel Loved vs Fuckoff In A Moment
I'd vote for Bono reciting the phone book over Stuck. I really hate Stuck.

3. Mofo vs Elevation
No motherfucking contest. Mofo has some of the best damn lyrics Bono's ever written, and the intensity to suit them. Elevation, while pretty fun live, is flat in the studio.

4. If God Will Send His Angels vs Walk On
IGWSHA is better lyrically, yes. But Walk On is executed much better; IGWSHA is the only song on Pop that I think is obviously incomplete. This is a close one though and I nearly gave IGWSHA the win.

5. Staring At The Sun vs Kite
Not a big SATS fan except for the live electric version when it didn't fall apart. It just doesn't do much for me.

6. Last Night On Earth vs In A Little While
Not even a contest. One of U2's worst songs versus one of their greatest rockers.

7. Gone vs Wild Honey
Even less of a contest. One of U2's worst songs versus one of their ten greatest gems.

8. Miami vs Peace On Earth
Lame, cheesy as hell songs. POE wins because it sounds nicer. Miami's live version slaughters both though.

9. The Playboy Mansion vs When I Look At The World
WILATW is the only truly great song on ATYCLB besides TGBHF. Playboy Mansion is a largely directionless clunker.

10. If You Wear That Velvet Dress vs New York
IYWTVD is a beautiful, subtle, sensual song. New York didn't come alive until it hit the concert setting.

11. Please vs Grace
OK, everyone here knows I really like Grace, but let's face it, Please is a masterpiece. You can't not vote for it here.

12. Wake Up Dead Man vs The Ground Beneath Her Feet
I love TGBHF and all, but Wake Up Dead Man is one of Bono's best lyrical efforts ever, and the intricacies hidden in the music are astounding.

I'm surprised ATYCLB actually won 5 of those match-ups. I'm sure it would have faired worse had I tried to pair like song to like song, but I'm too tired and lazy to do that.

Discotheque vs. Beautiful Day - Discotheque is so much better it can't even compare.
Do You Feel Loved vs. Stuck in a Moment - a underrated, amazing gem vs. a cliched lemonade of a song?
Mofo vs. Elevation - Do I even have to say it? Mofo kicks some serious ass, Elevation is one of the cheesiest songs I've ever heard.
If God Will Send His Angels vs. Walk On - Both are great, Walk On wins because of the beautiful outro.
Staring at the Sun vs. Kite - the live versions of Kite are amazing, the studio version is bad, so the nod is to SATS.
Last Night on Earth vs. In a Little While - Last Night on Earth is one of the best U2 rock songs, In a Little While is pretty much dull.
Gone vs. Wild Honey - this is almost as stupid as comparing Mofo to Elevation. Gone is fabulous, Wild Honey has the "I was a monkey" line.
Miami vs. Peace on Earth - Miami is a cool song that gets a new life live, Peace on Earth is in my top 3. Of the worst U2 songs. Miami by a mile.
The Playboy Mansion vs. When I Look at the World - Playboy Mansion is the only bad Pop song, When I Look at the World is better, just because of that great solo in the middle that comes out of nowhere.
If You Wear That Velvet Dress vs. New York - Velvet Dress is the band's most underrated, simply beautiful atmospheric song that sounds like nothing U2 ever did. New York is OK, could have been much better if not for the terrible lyrics.
Please vs. Grace - check out what I think about the Mofo/Elevation or Gone/Wild Honey debate.
...and you get a fantastic album closer called Wake Up Dead Man; The Ground Beneath Her Feet, although a beautiful song, is not really part of ATYCLB so I won't compare it.

So, yeah, I think Pop is better.

Tough call, they are both great albums.

The best songs off ATYCLB (Kite, B. Day) are better than the best songs off POP.

But the lyrics of POP are some of their best and kill the lyrics and writing of ATYCLB.

Overall, I'd go with POP. It was a great different direction for U2 and it took balls to go their.

I love the tour Popmart (although I loved Elevation) and I'd have to go with POP

I've grown rather tired of these contests. So for now I'll just say that I definitely prefer Pop to ATYCLB but it still totally depends on my mood and what I feel like listening to at any given moment.

1.Discotheque vs. Beautiful day
as much as i love beautiful day,i heard it too many times and know many people who think beautiful day is u2's trademark song and all they know is that song, but in the same time discotheque rocks

2.Do you feel loved vs. FUCKOFF IN A MOMENT(thnx Axver)
gem vs. lemonade,pussy song
great rocker vs. something u2 should apologize for

3.Mofo vs. Elevation
here's a landslide. Mofo is so good that in this case i can't see how much of a crap is elevation(a mole digging in a hole)

4.If God will send his angels vs. Walk on
so close, walk on is winner

5.Staring at the sun vs. Kite
Kite is brilliant as one can be,staring at the sun is just not good enough

6.Last night on earth vs. In a little while
Last night on earth(do i have to explain)

7.Gone vs. Wild honey
i was a monkey is a must-lose situation

8.Miami vs. Peace on earth
miami wins cause of the live version

9.The Playboy mansion vs. When i look at the world
When i look at the world is one of their best songs

10.If you wear that velvet dress vs. New York
never was a fan of if you....

11.Please vs. Grace
one of the best vs. worst

12.Wake up dead man vs. The ground beneath her feet
ground beneath wins too easy

7:5 for Pop
Pop gets my vote
i'm surprised,those two albums have some songs with long names,but not under the same number

Let's see how my mood is today :

Disco X Beauty

Disco is better live , Beauty is great studio : P 0 x A 1

DYFL X Stuck

The 1st one still needs to grown on me , and I find Stuck awesome , specially live , not mention the acoustic version : P 0 X A 2

Mofo X Elevation :

Now it's tough , but Elevation hits the peak when Single , and Mofo with all the crazyness and it's great rhythm ends up winning : P 1 X A 2

Angels X Walk On :

Angels does have its goods , but Walk On is a supper : P 1 X A 3

Staring X Kite :

Kite is great but better live , and Staring , I love it on Pop , All the great licks by edge , I really love the studio version so .... P 2 X A 3

Last Night X Little While :

As Much as I love In A little while , Last Night is one of u2's best rockers : P 3 x A 3

Gone X Wild Honey

Altough the studio version of Gone loses a lot without Edge's vocals , still beats Wild Honey : P 4 X A 3

Miami X Peace on Earth :

Tough One , didn't really ever tried Miami the studio version and all , I vote for Peace for the ending of it , and the good live B/E cut : P 4 x A 4

Playboy Mansion X Look at the World :

I unlike most of people like Playboy , I'm addicted in playing it's guitar intro and all , but When I look is just awesome : P 4 x A 5

Velvet Dress : NY

NY can be good sometimes , and great live , apart from that Velvet Dress has some nice instrumentals : P 5 X A 5

Please X Grace :

It's like sending a drunk kitten to mess with a lion , Sorry Grace : P 6 x A 5

Wake Up : Ground Beneath

Wake Up is great , good guitar , a really strong song , but I fall better for Ground : P 6 X A 6

How about that u2man , 6 x 6 Mate :wink:

Ok, I'll bite.
First, you can't really compare the two. POP, as we know, kind of got rushed toward the end of its completion. ATYCLB was made rather methodically and the boys took their time getting it right. I love both albums. POP has more songs that I like, but ATYCLB has great songs on it too. I can't really go track for track with either album. I can't compare Disco to Beautiful Day. Both albums have different themes. POP is generally about the disposable world that we live in. ATYCLB is about dealing with that disposable world and the feelings behind it. With that said, I'll just make a list of the songs I love, like or could do without from both albums together.
Love:
Mofo, If God Will..., Gone, Please, Wake Up..., If You Wear..., Walk On, Kite, In A Little..., When I Look..., NY
Like:
Disco, Do You Feel..., Staring..., Last Night..., Beautiful Day, Stuck..., Elevation,
Do without:
Miami, Playboy, Wild Honey, Peace..., Grace
So, there you have it. BTW, I can tolerate Miami, Playboy and Wild Honey, but I don't really like Peace or Grace.

Remastered, of course. But not in the fashion of 1990-2000.

No no, of course not. I'm sure we'll see it released as a bonus track on the remastered POP due out in June.

Beautiful Day
Stuck In A Moment
Elevation
IGWSHA
Kite
IALW
Gone
Peace On Earth
WILATW
IYWTVD
Please
TGBHF

ATYCLB wins 8-4

Songs like LNOE and SATS, while they may be good songs and great rockers, I dont think they pack the punch that the ATYCLB songs do, in terms of emotion.

This was tough. POP is my favorite album, but I think ATYCLB is their third best (after AB and JT)

OK why not. It would probably make more sense to rank the songs by preference on both albums and then compare, so I wouldn't end up with a complete joke like Please vs. Grace, but I'm too lazy...

Discotheque vs. Beautiful Day - Discotheque. BD is a bit boring.

Do You Feel Loved vs. Stuck in a Moment - not a fan of either, but Stuck sucks, so DYFL it is.

Mofo vs. Elevation - 2 rock songs with weak lyrics. What the hell...Elevation.

If God Will Send His Angels vs. Walk On - Walk On, by miles.

Staring at the Sun vs. Kite - Kite, again not close.

Last Night on Earth vs. In a Little While - IALW gets a bad rap around here, but I still pick LNOE.

Gone vs. Wild Honey - Just not fair. "Honey" isn't as bad as some make it out to be, but Gone is far better.

Miami vs. Peace on Earth - Both kinda weak. Peace on Earth.

The Playboy Mansion vs. When I Look at the World - WILATW.

If You Wear That Velvet Dress vs. New York - Velvet Dress bores me. At least the music in New York is cool...some weak lyrics, but still, I pick New York.

Please vs. Grace - Please, a million times over.

Wake Up Dead Man vs. The Ground Beneath Her Feet - both boring, I'll take WUDM

Wow, 6-6. I didn't do that on purpose either. I still wish the album version of Please didn't suck though...why do U2 insist on crap studio versions? Take Exit, or Bullet.

An honest appraisal, without criticising anyone else's opinions:

1. Discotheque v Beautiful Day:
Like CTU2fan said:
CTU2fan said:
Discotheque. BD is a bit boring.

2. Do You Feel Loved v Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of:
I like both of these, but Stuck is, in spite of what everyone says, just a great pop song, so it wins

3. Mofo v Elevation:
Mofo definitely. Elevation has always sounded a bit weak to me. The Influx Mix is miles better than the album version.

4. If God Will Send His Angels v Walk On:
Walk On will probably just edge it, although the single versions of both songs are much better.

5. Staring at the Sun v Kite:
Staring at the Sun definitely. A great track and I've never really 'got' Kite.

6. Last Night On Earth v In A Little While:
Last Night on Earth has always been one of my favourite songs from Pop, while IALW is just a bit too throwaway for me.

7. Gone v Wild Honey:
Gone. Absolutely no contest. At all.

8. Miami v Peace On Earth:
Miami is one those songs that goes in and out of favour with me, but it's still miles better than one of the dullest songs U2 have ever written.

9. The Playboy Mansion v When I Look At The World:
Apart from October, these are two of the U2 songs that I'd probably be most likely to skip if they came up on shuffle. If I could go for a draw I would, but if pushed, Playboy Mansion, if only for the 'No time for sorrow' vocal.

10. Velvet Dress v New York:
I'll possibly be one of the few to go for it, but Velvet Dress wins for me. Its place on the album is great and is a nice segue to the darker end of Pop.

11. Please v Grace:
One of U2's greatest moments v one of their worst. Please captures a unique moment in their songwriting, with the political being done in such a brilliant fashion that they have rarely achieved. I love the album version of this song still, even over the excellent live version and the good single version.

12. Wake Up Dead Man v Ground Beneath Her Feet:
This is a tough one. I still don't consider GBHF as part of ATYCLB, but it probably has the edge here. It has a very unusual sound that gives it that unique quality.

Pop 9-3 ATYCLB

PookaMacP said:
An honest appraisal, without criticising anyone else's opinions:

1. Discotheque v Beautiful Day:
Like CTU2fan said:

2. Do You Feel Loved v Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of:
I like both of these, but Stuck is, in spite of what everyone says, just a great pop song, so it wins

3. Mofo v Elevation:
Mofo definitely. Elevation has always sounded a bit weak to me. The Influx Mix is miles better than the album version.

4. If God Will Send His Angels v Walk On:
Walk On will probably just edge it, although the single versions of both songs are much better.

5. Staring at the Sun v Kite:
Staring at the Sun definitely. A great track and I've never really 'got' Kite.

6. Last Night On Earth v In A Little While:
Last Night on Earth has always been one of my favourite songs from Pop, while IALW is just a bit too throwaway for me.

7. Gone v Wild Honey:
Gone. Absolutely no contest. At all.

8. Miami v Peace On Earth:
Miami is one those songs that goes in and out of favour with me, but it's still miles better than one of the dullest songs U2 have ever written.

9. The Playboy Mansion v When I Look At The World:
Apart from October, these are two of the U2 songs that I'd probably be most likely to skip if they came up on shuffle. If I could go for a draw I would, but if pushed, Playboy Mansion, if only for the 'No time for sorrow' vocal.

10. Velvet Dress v New York:
I'll possibly be one of the few to go for it, but Velvet Dress wins for me. Its place on the album is great and is a nice segue to the darker end of Pop.

11. Please v Grace:
One of U2's greatest moments v one of their worst. Please captures a unique moment in their songwriting, with the political being done in such a brilliant fashion that they have rarely achieved. I love the album version of this song still, even over the excellent live version and the good single version.

12. Wake Up Dead Man v Ground Beneath Her Feet:
This is a tough one. I still don't consider GBHF as part of ATYCLB, but it probably has the edge here. It has a very unusual sound that gives it that unique quality.

Pop 9-3 ATYCLB

you get an f-.

Not even close.

Pop destroys ATYCLB is every way possible for an album to, however, even I was surprised by how things turned out when comparing the songs.

1. Discotheque vs. Beautiful Day - Two, great songs, but I must give the edge to one of U2's greatest anthems. It's still genius.

2. Do You Feel Loved vs. Stuck In A Moment - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! (takes a breath) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

3. Mofo vs. Elevation - See answer to #2.

4. IGWSHA vs. Walk On - Close, but Angels has an edge to it that the syrupy Walk On does not have.

5. Staring At The Sun vs. Kite - Kite by a mile. Kite is an emotional rollercoaster, Staring is just dull.

6. Last Night On Earth vs. In A Little While - Two great songs, but LNOE is just better.

7. Gone vs. Wild Honey - Gone is overrated, and I adore Wild Honey.

8. Miami vs. Peace On Earth - That slide guitar... :drool:

9. Playboy Mansion vs. When I Look At The World - Not even a competition.

10. IYWTVD vs. New York - New York just has a punch to it that IYWTVD does not.

11. Please vs. Grace - Please could be terrible and still win this, but it's not, so...I won't even bother.

12. Wake Up Dead Man vs. The Ground Beneath Her Feet - Two amazing songs, but very few can beat WUDM.

Pop - 7
ATYCLB - 5

And Pop holds together as an album more strongly than ATYCLB, so the winner here is Pop, hands down.

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:
Not even close.

Pop destroys ATYCLB is every way possible for an album to, however, even I was surprised by how things turned out when comparing the songs.

1. Discotheque vs. Beautiful Day - Two, great songs, but I must give the edge to one of U2's greatest anthems. It's still genius.

2. Do You Feel Loved vs. Stuck In A Moment - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

3. Mofo vs. Elevation - See answer to #2.

4. IGWSHA vs. Walk On - Close, but Angels has an edge to it that the syrupy Walk On does not have.

5. Staring At The Sun vs. Kite - Kite by a mile. Kite is an emotional rollercoaster, Staring is just dull.

6. Last Night On Earth vs. In A Little While - Two great songs, but LNOE is just better.

7. Gone vs. Wild Honey - Gone is overrated, and I adore Wild Honey.

8. Miami vs. Peace On Earth - That slide guitar... :drool:

9. Playboy Mansion vs. When I Look At The World - Not even a competition.

11. Please vs. Grace - Please could be terrible and still win this, but it's not, so...I won't even bother.

12. Wake Up Dead Man vs. The Ground Beneath Her Feet - Two amazing songs, but very few can beat WUDM.

Pop - 7
ATYCLB - 5

And Pop holds together as an album more strongly than ATYCLB, so the winner here is Pop, hands down.

you get a d.

I'd say Pop. Only because U2 was taking more chances and trying new things. ATYCLB is a good album if you want U2 without the irony. I think the few songs they rerecorded for the Best of was better than what was on Pop (ex: Discotheque, Gone, SATS) and that was in 2002 right?

So what I'm saying:

Beautiful Day> Album version Discotheque

New mix Discotheque > Beautiful Day

1. Discotheque vs. Beautiful day

Very hard to pick but in the end i would go for Discothque

2. Do You Feel Loved vs. Stuck in a moment

Do you feel loved no doubt about it

3. MOFO vs. Elevation

Mofo again without much doubt

4. IGWSHA vs Walk On

Walk On although IGWSHA is also very very good.

5. Staring at the sun vs. Kite

Kite is the better one.

6. Last night on earth vs. In a little while

Last night on earth for me.

7. Gone vs. Wild Honey

Gone

8. Miami vs. Peace on earth

Miami although the album version isnt that great it's still better then peace on earth.

9 Playboy mansion vs. When i look at the world

Playboy Mansion

10. Please vs. Grace

Please although Grace is underrated by many.

11. IYWTVD vs. New York

New york

12. Wake up dead man vs. The ground beneath her feet

Wake up dead man although TGBHF is also very very good.

So end result:

POP: 9
ATYCLB: 3

POP is better in every way , producers , mixing
lyrics , cd case/covers/pics inside info
these are two different bands
the one that's PoP is independent , colorful rock band
the one that's atyclb is a 40 year old virgin that wants to quit smoking and has pimples all over
mY soul is screaming ::::
BRING BAck the FLOOD !!!!!!!!!!!

LemonMelon said:

LMAO! Velvet Dress doesn't need any punch, it's gorgeous! If you want a punch, I'll give you one. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom