Pop album - what went wrong..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It means bad posts happen when a thread goes on too long. Time for Some pop thread regulation. Only one allowed every 4 months and cannot exceed a certain amount of pages. The mods should seriously consider it. I mean why not Give pop its own complete message board outside this one.

I don't know if this has ben posted, but I'm hearing it, and it's really good (except for Slowdancing, that doesn't fit the album at all)

U2 - Pop (Full Album) [Includes B Sides*] - YouTube

01. Discothéque 0:00:00
02. Holy Joe* 0:05:19
03. Do You Feel Loved 0:09:41
04. Mofo 0:14:49
05. If God Will Send His Angels 0:20:38
06. Slow Dancing* 0:26:01
07. Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad* 0:30:03
08. Staring At The Sun 0:34:18
09. North And South Of The River* 0:38:55
10. Your Blue Room* 0:43:33
11. Last Night On Earth 0:49:02
12. Pop Muzik* 0:53:49
13. Happiness Is A Warm Gun* 1:02:39
14. Gone 1:07:27
15. Miami 1:11:57
16. The Playboy Mansion 1:16:48
17. If You Wear That Velvet Dress 1:21:30
18. Please 1:26:46
19. I'm Not Your Baby (Feat. Sinead O'Connor)* 1:31:47
20. Wake Up Dead Man 1:37:37

Just the following changes and POP would be the one of the greatest album ever released:

1. Put live PLEASE version.
2. Put live LNOE version.
3. Add the INTRO of the POPMART live version of MOFO to the beginning of studio MOFO
4. Omit PLAYBOY MANSION and put another GONE/ STARING AT THE SON type song at that slot.

Pop is one of their best albums. The only alterations I would make to 'finish' the album would be to include the single 'strings' version of Please and a funkier and groovier mix of Mofo with wah wah guitar so that it sounds more like the live version of the song. I would leave the rest as is, although I think it is now in need of a remaster because it sounds a bit muddy to my ears.

I've been listening today for the first time in a few months. It's really a very good album. Weird and uncomfortable, but damned good.

I've been listening today for the first time in a few months. It's really a very good album. Weird and uncomfortable, but damned good.

It's one of if not the most rewarding listening experiences ibn U2's catalog.

Sent from my Note 3 using my S-pen.

I actually prefer the album version of Please, I felt the harsher sound of the song suited the subject matter better than the single version.

Pop is Pop, nothing's gonna change that. The 'Popsters' always complain about everything that has come after Pop (as is evident by the post above)...:rolleyes: But really, the 90's were the result of U2 running away from their past. Pop was taking it as far as they could. They've decided that being U2 is not a bad thing and took it in the other direction for 2 albums, and then went back to being a little experimental on NLOTH...and, well, that album did about the same as Pop.

Pop is interesting, but it's not great, and there a some serious duds on that album.

My opinion, the reason some people hold Pop up as the "Holy Grail" is that it isn't popular in the mainstream. No publication, expert or band member holds Pop up as one of their best. That makes it a 'lost gem' something that no one else gets but you...and a few, select others. That makes it attractive, to certain fans, when you consider U2's megadom.

I think it's a mediocre U2 album...:shrug:

My opinion, the reason some people hold Pop up as the "Holy Grail" is that it isn't popular in the mainstream. No publication, expert or band member holds Pop up as one of their best. That makes it a 'lost gem' something that no one else gets but you...and a few, select others. That makes it attractive, to certain fans, when you consider U2's megadom.

Yes. You know exactly why some of us really like Pop. :happy:

Newsflash! You are wrong. I don't like Pop because it is a 'lost gem'. I like Pop because I enjoy the music on Pop. End of fucking story.

I don't like Pop because it is a 'lost gem'. I like Pop because I enjoy the music on Pop. End of fucking story.

Yep. Listen to everything U2 has done since 1997, and "Pop" has the best flow of any album they've done since.

Yep. Listen to everything U2 has done since 1997, and "Pop" has the best flow of any album they've done since.

What flow?
It doesn't even compare all that favorably to How to Dismantle .... flow wise.
And How to Dismantle ... has little to no flow.

Yes. You know exactly why some of us really like Pop. :happy:

Newsflash! You are wrong. I don't like Pop because it is a 'lost gem'. I like Pop because I enjoy the music on Pop. End of fucking story.

OK, fair enough...but it's NOT one of U2's best albums...it's just not. That was my point, not whether or not you like it, you do, and I cannot deny you that.

However, you and a few others here claim that EVERYTHING after is shit, I take exception with that.

Pop, for all of its interesting sounds, and different arrangements, and it's pushing boundaries for U2, is a disjointed, uneven effort. There are a few songs that should have been HUGE on that album, that just flat lined when released. There is no disputing that. In my opinion (and the band's) they weren't fully formed, finished songs. They were lacking, and they still are to this day. I like Pop, I listen to Gone and Please all the time. MOFO is the closest they came to realizing their vision for the album, but everything else is kind of fuzzy, and out of focus, especially SATS.

As for the flow thing...any album that has DYFL on it will have a flow problem.

I tend to prefer the single versions of If God Would Send His Angels, Please, and Last Night on Earth to the album versions. I'd love to hear what the earlier incarnations of Wake Up Deadman were.

God, wouldn't I love to hear the first demo of that, the one that likely was done when Edge introduced it to the others.

There are usually a couple of songs on any U2 album that I'm a little more 'meh' about than I like to be about U2 songs, but that's normal for any listen. The exception for me might be Achtung Baby, where at first I wasn't too thrilled with So Cruel or Love is Blindness... But they overcame me in the end and I find little to no fault with that album. The others.. They have a song or two that does it less for me. Pop is no exception, and I had trouble getting behind Playboy Mansion and LNOE and Miami sometimes, although I think Miami is given way too hard a rap. Everything else on Pop resonates with me in some way, and even with the tracks that click with me less, I believe the collection as a whole belongs together. Together, they form an album that fully reflects where U2 were at that time, as a band and in their own personal lives, even if that's not what the band was shooting for. That's the funny thing about art.. It takes you where it wants, often despite your best efforts to bend it to your will.

I listened to Pop in a way and at a time where I lost track of how U2 were faring in the mainstream, in terms of perception, popularity, that darned 'r' word. I just knew the band had a new album out, I picked it up, listened to it repeatedly, and had a strong reaction. It was a little different from my usual U2 reaction, in that there wasn't any outright joy in listening to Pop, but an underlying sense of tragedy, doubt, and loss. Of being lost. But as with most U2, the sense of spirit and hope that permeated up from beneath all that angst shone through,and provided enough underlying 'glow' for the album to have a cathartic effect on me.

Was it joyous, uplifting, overtly spiritual, or any of what U2 fans seemed to want from the band, or what U2 more,overtly tried to capture - or provide, rather - in the follow up of ATYCLB? No. But it didn't have to be, because it was what it was, and what it had to be.

As such, here's what I think went wrong with Pop:

Expectations.

The band's, the fans', and the media's expectations were all over the place, and even historically, there's very little of taking the album at its own merits in lieu of attempting to frame it in some sort of historical or autobiographical context for the band. It was the last part of a trilogy, it was pushing the 'dream it up again' motif to its limit, it was unfinished, it was rushed, etc etc.

Throw away misplaced expectations and 20/20 hindsight, and there's nothing wrong with that album, other than it might not have been what some people wanted it to be.

It is what it is, and what it needed to be. The rest is just personal taste.

Impeccable flow, especially with the final three songs.
I guess different strokes for different folks, but as far as I'm concerned you could mix up the placing of If God ..., Miami and Playboy Mansion and flow wise everything would still pretty much be the same.
They could have turned around the order of Discotheque - Mofo or Staring - Gone and it also would have made no difference to me.

I do agree about the last three songs.

Do you always pass off your opinion as cold hard fact? :scratch:

Anyway, it is pointless to argue about this. I like Pop. You don't. Agree to disagree.
It's not an opinion that POP is not one of their best albums, that is a fact.
My favourite U2 album is No Line, but I'm also not quite so delusional to name it their best album.

It's not an opinion that POP is not one of their best albums, that is a fact.
My favourite U2 album is No Line, but I'm also not quite so delusional to name it their best album.

Hahahaha are you serious?........ Really?

Stating that you like/dislike something can never be fact.

Even if you think that NLOTH is their best album, it is fine. Nothing delusional about it. It is your opinion. But it's not fact.

Facts are things that can be proved somehow with numbers or whatever... like sales figures for example.

I don't understand whether you are agreeing or disagreeing with me,
but I always enjoy it when I can make someone laugh.

^ That is what I'm disagreeing with. Liking or disliking things/albums/songs/artists/whatever can never be fact!

Why did I enter this thread? :doh:

We're not arguing whether or not you like the album or whether 'you' think it's their best, that's all your opinion and I respect it...however based on album sales, critical and public response...and the band's 'own opinion'...it's not one of their best.

We can go back and forth all day, I respect your right to love this album, but to call it one of U2's best is no different than me saying it's not...however I'm right...:wink:

Back
Top Bottom