PLEBAn Girls' Party: Hot concerts and cold showers...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
VintagePunk said:

He's scary smart. :yikes:

I read it very fast, over two nights before bed, forcing myself to stay up and keep reading it. I want to read it again...but right now I'm reading Killing Bono (even though I promised myself I'd save it for vacation).

To be honest, I found it a little frustrating. He focuses SO much on Africa and religion, and yet he kinda ducks some personal questions. But...I really should read it again before I form an opinion.

Hey we're following the same reading schedule!! :hug:

He does duck some personal questions...right when I think I'm getting the dish on something, we're back to Africa, and usually in some of the same phraseology we've heard a million times. I did find it oddly moving, however, when he was asked about Larry's mother/sister situation and he pointedly said "I don't recall." It was an obvious dodge to protect Larry's privacy.

Killing Bono is very good at the moment. If you like early U2 stuff, Bill Graham's "U2: The Early Years" is a slim little book mostly of photos, but it also has as fascinating essay on the music scene of 70s Dublin.

I've been thinking about rereading "At the End of the World" for the umpteenth time, but Harry Potter will be here soon (not that it will take me long). I really should finish the John Waters book "Race of Angels: The Genesis of U2"...but it's a little cerebral.

SWEET HOLY JOE FROM KMART!!!!

VP I think I offically just surpassed your embarrassing moment with Sarah! <smacks self in forehead>

ARGH!:mad: Mini-cat just came in and jumped on my bed. Usually no big deal. She was rolling around giggling. The stops and picks something up and asks me, "What is this for mommy?"

Some dumb arse who will remain nameless left personal lubricant out on the bed. Guess who is getting a big lecture when he gets home! I so don't want to have a sex talk with my girl when she is only 6!! :ohmy: :mad:

Russty Cat said:
:lol: I read it in two sittings as well. All in one day. Even though he did say alot I still firmly believe that we will never truly know the man behind the mask that is Bono. He is always putting on a show, always playing for the crowd. That is just who he is. I do believe that for everything he says or writes there is a bit of truth.

i agree with you russty, though in a way i think Michka had a good point, even Bono isn't sure who he is sometimes! Bono is a msytery and always will be :wink:

Russty Cat said:

VP I think I offically just surpassed your embarrassing moment with Sarah! <smacks self in forehead>

ARGH!:mad: Mini-cat just came in and jumped on my bed. Usually no big deal. She was rolling around giggling. The stops and picks something up and asks me, "What is this for mommy?"

Some dumb arse who will remain nameless left personal lubricant out on the bed. Guess who is getting a big lecture when he gets home! I so don't want to have a sex talk with my girl when she is only 6!! :ohmy: :mad:

D'oh!!

I've been wanting to read Killing Bono, but I'm still waiting for the book Ireland that I ordered and its like 800 pages so I'll have to read it for a bit first before I can get another book. I'm such a bookwhore I end up with way to many stacked up if I'm not careful.

greeneyedgirl said:
He is scary smart, but he reads alot and Ali has remarked that he just finds everything so interesting and likes to learn.
He also just goes off onto other subjects, so its hard to follow. Imagine trying to have a real conversation with him, but then again I would prob be just staring at him and not hearing a word :drool:

Sorta like me...by the end of a long, intense lecture, I tend to zone out and go visit a beach somewhere. I don't even hear the prof anymore. :lol:

Russty Cat said:

Pfft. She's only 6. Try something like that with a 17 y/o who's fully aware. :yikes: :lol:

Jemma I think some people come back for more, because he remains a mystery. I often wonder if Bono does it conciously or if he really just doesn't know who he is yet. Hey I'm 30 and I'm just now figuring out who the hell I am. And even sometimes I realize that I don't really have a flippin clue. :giggle:

Russty Cat said:

Men :rolleyes: :|

I checked out "Dark Star Safari" a few days ago..he references it in "In Conversation" :reject:

Granted, I am a political scientist (*stifles giggles*) and I do a little in post-colonialism and race politics, why shouldn't I read it? So what if "Bono's Book of the Month" selection. :wink:

Elessarian said:

Hey we're following the same reading schedule!! :hug:

He does duck some personal questions...right when I think I'm getting the dish on something, we're back to Africa, and usually in some of the same phraseology we've heard a million times. I did find it oddly moving, however, when he was asked about Larry's mother/sister situation and he pointedly said "I don't recall." It was an obvious dodge to protect Larry's privacy.

Killing Bono is very good at the moment. If you like early U2 stuff, Bill Graham's "U2: The Early Years" is a slim little book mostly of photos, but it also has as fascinating essay on the music scene of 70s Dublin.

I've been thinking about rereading "At the End of the World" for the umpteenth time, but Harry Potter will be here soon (not that it will take me long). I really should finish the John Waters book "Race of Angels: The Genesis of U2"...but it's a little cerebral.

We should form a discussion group. :wink:

I'll look up some of those other books you mentioned. We seem to have similar tastes.

ETA - maybe the discussion group isn't such a good idea. I'm sure it would denegrate very quickly into "Isn't Bono sooooo hawt???" and "He's dreeeeaaaamy!!"

:wink:

bonoishot said:

i agree with you russty, though in a way i think Michka had a good point, even Bono isn't sure who he is sometimes! Bono is a msytery and always will be :wink:

I tend to think that he's truly a multi-faceted person, probably to a much greater degree than most people, and that what we hear/see/read is a reflection of his mindset at the time. JUst so happens now that he's all "Africa, Africa, Africa..."

VintagePunk said:

Pfft. She's only 6. Try something like that with a 17 y/o who's fully aware. :yikes: :lol:

By the time she is 17 there will be no naivate or questions when it comes to her da and I. We don't really hide the fact that we care for each other. She has seen us naked quite a few times, but I don't want to freak her out yet. :ohmy:

Growing up I never saw my parents kiss or be affectionate so I was very naive growing up. I asked my mom what oral sex was when I was 12 at McDonalds! :laugh: But I don't want my girls to be that way.

Its hard to find the right balance between showing love and affection, information, and not freaking the poor kid out. :giggle:

Russty Cat said:
Jemma I think some people come back for more, because he remains a mystery. I often wonder if Bono does it conciously or if he really just doesn't know who he is yet. Hey I'm 30 and I'm just now figuring out who the hell I am. And even sometimes I realize that I don't really have a flippin clue. :giggle:

:giggle: yes i suppose some people never figure it out

i like the fact hes a mystery, more possiblities for you imagination :evil::giggle: i certainly :heart: coming back for more :drool:

i want to read killing bono, how much is it? keep wondering if the library has it in but don't think theyd getit back if the did :shifty::laugh:

Russty Cat said:
I've been wanting to read Killing Bono, but I'm still waiting for the book Ireland that I ordered and its like 800 pages so I'll have to read it for a bit first before I can get another book. I'm such a bookwhore I end up with way to many stacked up if I'm not careful.
Killing Bono (called I Was Bono's Doppelganger up here) is excellent!! I'm not that far in yet...but Sarah read it in one sitting, and she loved it. It's more about the author, the era, and the business, with a few Bono/U2 tidbits thrown in. The author is extremely funny.

Russty Cat said:

I think he's deliberately confounding, elusive, multifaceted AND that it's also involuntary. He's brilliant no doubt, but I don't think his is the kind of brilliance that aims to deceive just for deception's sake. I think Bono is cunningly calculated and thoroughly addled all at once.

I remember his dad related a story in "At the End of the World" where he would all the time send Bono on some errand and Bono would dutifully set off and then return without a clue or memory of what his mission was. Bob: "Where's my hairbrush?" Bono: "What? I went upstairs to use the loo."

VintagePunk said:

I tend to think that he's truly a multi-faceted person, probably to a much greater degree than most people, and that what we hear/see/read is a reflection of his mindset at the time. JUst so happens now that he's all "Africa, Africa, Africa..."

I think your right. He gets very passionate about things that interest him. I don't mind the Africa stuff, cuz I think he knows what he is talking about and I think its time for a change.

And besides he is sooo dreamy! :wink:

VintagePunk said:

:hmm: thats a very good point actually VP, never thought of it like that!

Russty Cat said:

By the time she is 17 there will be no naivate or questions when it comes to her da and I. We don't really hide the fact that we care for each other. She has seen us naked quite a few times, but I don't want to freak her out yet. :ohmy:

Growing up I never saw my parents kiss or be affectionate so I was very naive growing up. I asked my mom what oral sex was when I was 12 at McDonalds! :laugh: But I don't want my girls to be that way.

Its hard to find the right balance between showing love and affection, information, and not freaking the poor kid out. :giggle:

I'm very open (can you tell? :wink: ) about stuff like that...we've never had a sex talk, cause we talk about it all the time. :lol: But since she was wee...I would just answer her questions, in age-appropriate ways, of course...and when there are opportunities for discussion (things on tv, etc), I'd grab 'em.

Russty Cat said:

:yikes: i've got all that to come when i have kids :lol:

I picked up Killing Bono at a bookshop when I was in LA, I should have bought it. But they did have like 20 U2 books and it was such a hard choice.

I think its like $16-20 american. But you can order it on Amazon.com for like $7-8.

If Sarah liked it I'll definetly have to get it.

VintagePunk said:

I'm very open (can you tell? :wink: ) about stuff like that...we've never had a sex talk, cause we talk about it all the time. :lol: But since she was wee...I would just answer her questions, in age-appropriate ways, of course...and when there are opportunities for discussion (things on tv, etc), I'd grab 'em.

I guess y'all can imagine how it was for me growing up in Mississippi. Growing up I thought the number of babies being born directly coincided with the local stork population.

Russty Cat said:

I think your right. He gets very passionate about things that interest him. I don't mind the Africa stuff, cuz I think he knows what he is talking about and I think its time for a change.

And besides he is sooo dreamy! :wink:

same here russty, hes so passionate about africa :heart: it amazed me how much he knew about politics and africa

VintagePunk said:

you and sarah sound like me and my mum used to be, we both had/have smutty minds :lol:

i think its great people are open with their kids when they get older

Russty Cat said:
I picked up Killing Bono at a bookshop when I was in LA, I should have bought it. But they did have like 20 U2 books and it was such a hard choice.

I think its like $16-20 american. But you can order it on Amazon.com for like $7-8.

If Sarah liked it I'll definetly have to get it.

:hmm: wonder if they have it on amazon uk

*goes to have a look*

Bye VP!! :hug:

It's funny, we were NEVER given the lectures and never had "the talk" not because we grew up in the evangelical South or my mom was puritanical or anything, but because such things were not considered appropriate for conversation. So many Southern mannerisms which are usually mistaken for narrowmindedness are really just the result of an overdeveloped sense of propriety. As much as I love how polite the South is...dude...it gets old. Really old. We'll be sitting in my aunt's living room nodding and smiling and I'll just wanna jump up and scream "Somebody say something!!!! About anything!!!" :huh:

VintagePunk said:

I think this is probably the best way to go about it.

Jemma there are so many fun things to look forward to. :wink: hehe

See ya later VP! :hug:

Sorry I'm slow, I had to break up yet another fight between the two of them. :huh:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom