PLEBA Misc News and Articles #5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Came across this interview this morning on u2.com community, haven't seen it posted here yet....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyC57pLHSPE

....when I met Bono and Edge - on the same day this interview took place - I wondered at the time why they had to rush to the stadium, coz, they'd done the sound check the day before and Bono and Edge said they only had time for a quick 'hello' and shake of hands but now I know!! :D

Came across this interview this morning on u2.com community, haven't seen it posted here yet....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyC57pLHSPE

....when I met Bono and Edge - on the same day this interview took place - I wondered at the time why they had to rush to the stadium, coz, they'd done the sound check the day before and Bono and Edge said they only had time for a quick 'hello' and shake of hands but now I know!! :D

I noticed at :25 they mixed Adam and Larry up.:hyper: Those guys can't catch a break!

Bono looks especially sexy in that interview doesn't he?
:drool:

Yeah, image how I felt coming face to face with that sexiness! :drool: :combust: :faint:
o055.gif

Yeah, image how I felt coming face to face with that sexiness! :drool: :combust: :faint:
o055.gif

I know!! You lucky girl! Congratulations!:applaud: I would totally freeze and be in a state of shock, I know it. I am kind of shy at first meetings anyway, but Bono would just petrify me face to face as much as I would love it!
Still praying to meet him one day. :pray:

I searched though some music magazines earlier today because I - finally - wanted to get the Rolling Stone issue with the article about U2's tour opening in Turin and the Bono interview ... I thought it would be the 19 August issue when in truth it's the 2 September issue, that one should be out in early October :waiting:

However, I came across an interview with Bob Geldof in the latest issue of Q magazine (September 2010) where Bob talks about doing a pub tour with Bono in Dublin while he was recovering from his surgery. He said that Bono and his dad were very close. Bob's dad died just a couple of weeks ago and Ali was there at the funeral; I think there was even a photo posted here in some thread. Bob says his father, who was 96, and Bono got along really well and both had issues with their backs. He says something like: My dad was fucked because of his back, and Bono was fucked, too, because of his back. :lol:

They would go down to visit Bob's old man and Bob would just sit there and say: Just look at the two of you. He also says that he and Bono talk mostly about Africa and sometimes about music but that he's hesitant to sing with Bono, because "you cannot compete with that voice". He says they were in Japan some time ago and went to a Karaoke club together, Bono sang some kind of love song and everyone was just "floored" by his voice. Very nice and funny pieces there from Sir Bob, unfortunately I cannot find it online right now. :)

Just an FYI for anyone who picked up the New York Times yesterday for Bono's editorial, page 10 and 11 of the Styles section is a ginormous nearly 2 full page color photo of the Louis Vuitton Africa ad. :love:

^ What bothers me :
Irish Times, October 02, 2010
By: Ronan McGreevy​

LEGENDARY U2 producer Steve Lillywhite has said the band's latest album No Line on the Horizon did not achieve what it set out to achieve and its relative failure had affected them.

Dear ,mister Ronan something. Mr. Lillywhite never said the album WAS a failure,
relative is spelled in front of it.

--

Lillywhite described Pogues singer Shane MacGowan as an "underachiever" who knows his best work is behind him.

This pretty much confuses me, why would we be interested in mr. Lillywhite's opinions about others?

I love his twitter name :up: Thanks for keeping our heads up kassandra.

He is not happy about this.

He's back pedalling now, not fine of Steve :down:

I'm sure the band is NOT happy about him talking to the press about NLOTH like this. I hate it when people who are involved in a project later dismiss it just because it didn't live up to their (commercial) expectations. It obviously took him almost 2 years to realise that.

Good to hear the band still loves NLOTH and believes in the songs. It's an amazing album and the commercial success or lack thereof doesn't say much about the quality of the music, especially in times like these where albums just generally don't sell. Compared to most music that's released today, the album is absolutely great. The fact there were no hits and no radio-friendly songs doesn't speak against the album. I'm proud that the band decided to make an album like NLOTH instead of playing it safe.

And I also don't think they really wanted to have a whole album with a North African feeling to it. There seems to be a misconception between Lillywhite and the band here.

Shane MacGowan misachieving? What the hell, that's nonsense. And I love U2's album, just like lu says, I'm glad they didn't choose the safe way, so they could make this amazing album. I'm happy it turned out to be a misquote, because I didn't see Lillywhite as a person who would say those kinds of things.

He's back pedalling now, not fine of Steve :down:

I'm sure the band is NOT happy about him talking to the press about NLOTH like this. I hate it when people who are involved in a project later dismiss it just because it didn't live up to their (commercial) expectations. It obviously took him almost 2 years to realise that.

Good to hear the band still loves NLOTH and believes in the songs. It's an amazing album and the commercial success or lack thereof doesn't say much about the quality of the music, especially in times like these where albums just generally don't sell. Compared to most music that's released today, the album is absolutely great. The fact there were no hits and no radio-friendly songs doesn't speak against the album. I'm proud that the band decided to make an album like NLOTH instead of playing it safe.

And I also don't think they really wanted to have a whole album with a North African feeling to it. There seems to be a misconception between Lillywhite and the band here.

Lillywhite is claiming they misquoted him. Which I think is more believable than anything else.
Press loves to twist words.

Lillywhite is claiming they misquoted him. Which I think is more believable than anything else.
Press loves to twist words.

I think it might be Lillywhite, who's best work is behind him.

In the 1980's he produced groundbreaking album after groundbreaking album by U2, Siouxsie, Peter Gabriel, XTC... 1980 alone, he produced Peter Gabriel's third album, XTC "Black Sea" and U2's "Boy". Not a bad years work.

These days, not so much. Maybe that is why he was lobbying for the judge job on American Idol?

Did the press misquote him? Perhaps. But it's possible he was speaking out when he shouldn't have.

True, it would have been allot wiser for him to just shut his yap.
I have no emotional attachment to Lillywhite what so ever.
Maybe it is time for U2 to move on without him,
maybe they did?
That leaves him the freedom to say anything about the album he wants.

Mr. Lanois can stay :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom