PLEBA Girls Party - Hockey's back, and so are Jemma, VP and Ruff!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aww VP you're taking quite the hit aren't you?? :sad: :hug: Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better though.

I found what I posted originally after the class, but I have loads more if you want it:

I'll relay some of the information that I found interesting anyway

We looked at Kinsey's continuum of sexual orientation (a scale of 0-6, 0 being exclusively heterosexual and 6 being homosexual). He proposed the idea that only 3% of males and 1% of females fall under 6...37% of males and 13% of females fall anywhere beyond 0.

45% of Canadians believe that homosexual relations are ALWAYS wrong.

We talked about stereotypes including the typical "flamboyant" homosexual man or "dyke", child molestation, people being mentally imbalanced, and over-sexed. We also talked about children being raised in homosexual marriages/relationships and basically how as long as there is at least one responsible adult (regardless of sexual orientation) who has the happiness of the child at first interest, children will grow up just fine.

Homosexuality was classified as a disease in the DSM up until 1973.

So onto the theories of why people are homosexual...

Biologic theories include genetics...there was an interesting study with twins: 52% of identical twins were both homosexual whereas only 22% of fraternal twins were...another theory is prenatal differentiation where certain hormonal imbalances cause homosexuality. This one is crazy to me but actually has been proven in small numbers but consistently nonetheless: the more male babies a woman has the greater the chance that each subsequent baby will have homosexual tendencies.

There was another crazy theory proposed that gay men had a more "feminized" hypothalamus...but the theory could never be replicated so therefore it is bollocks in my opinion

So if it's not biology than is it through learning/nature? Well that doesn't seem to be the case either...in a homophobic/homonegative society why would parents want to inflict homosexual tendencies on their children?

Oh yeah, my professor was telling us about a client he had a few years ago. This man was young, very intelligent and good-looking and made an appointment to see him (my prof is a psychologist/therapist as well) one day and didn't specify the purpose of it. When he came in, he said straight out that he wanted a cure for homosexuality. He explained how his family was going to disown him and cast him as basically a leper or something if he could not be changed after walking out of the office. My professor was absolutely stunned. So the family was all there sitting outside the office and my prof called them in and told them he was going to grow up a successful, productive and intelligent man who has a wonderful partner. And the mother started crying and said if he couldn't help her son change then he was officially disowned. :sad:

Drea said:

:giggle: And here I thought the only people who looked for E&C2 were Moxy Fruvous fans so they could giggle at Dave! ;) Dave being David Matheson, one quarter of Fruvous (who've been on hiatus for nearly 5 years now :censored: ), multi-instrumentalist extraordinaire, and all round cool guy *G* In E&C2 he's the keyboardist, and whoever wrote that line about Dave's character being able to play 11 instruments... clearly knew Dave well :wink:

Dave is cute in the movie! hehe But I'm actually a fan of the original book Eddie and the cruisers and love Michael Pare who plays Eddie. There was just something so cool about him when I was younger. I can't wait to taunt my brother who also loves the movie that I got one. and for $4! hahahaha :laugh: I'm going to watch Eddie 1 & 2 tomorrow since its supposed to be like 110 degrees here! ARGH! :mad:

Hi Bri! :hug:

I'm watching PJ live at the Garden :hyper: :dance: *happy sigh*

Okay I need some help from you guys, when you think of fairies what colors of hair come to mind? and do faires ever have scales? :lol:

Fly, I find all that fascinating!! I should be taking the class with you. :heart:

With all the theories/studies that are being done, I wonder if finding a definitive "cause" would have an impact on society/people's attitudes. Something to ponder...

One issue that REALLY, REALLY pisses me off :mad: :mad: are the arguments made against homosexuals adopting children. :mad: :mad:

Don't even get me started.... :mad:

That poor young man....heartbreaking. :sad: Did your prof say anything about how he dealt with the family?

greeneyedgirl said:

no, he was on older guy, in his late 50's at least.

no had he looked like Joe Perry, well....lets just say I may not have made it into work......

If that guy had been like Joe Perry I expect pictures! :lol: Oh man! :drool: :combust: Joe Perry definetly an older man who can always get my motor going. :giggle:

Russty Cat said:
Hi Bri! :hug:

I'm watching PJ live at the Garden :hyper: :dance: *happy sigh*

Okay I need some help from you guys, when you think of fairies what colors of hair come to mind? and do faires ever have scales? :lol:

purple, mint green, milky pinks, and sunny yellows

blue stars, oh...thats me lucky charms......:wink:

VintagePunk said:
Fly, I find all that fascinating!! I should be taking the class with you. :heart:

With all the theories/studies that are being done, I wonder if finding a definitive "cause" would have an impact on society/people's attitudes. Something to ponder...

One issue that REALLY, REALLY pissed me off :mad: :mad: are the arguments made against homosexuals adopting children. :mad: :mad:

Don't even get me started.... :mad:

That poor young man....heartbreaking. :sad: Did your prof say anything about how he dealt with the family?

You and your psychology-inclined brain would enjoy this class so much VP :yes: :hug:

My prof said he told them that he could not cure homosexuality. He said there was nothing he could really do for the family as they had already made their mind up. He offered grief counselling but they refused...although the young man continued to see him for a little while to discuss grief and the changes he would undergo, but he stopped making appointments and said he didn't want to deal with it anymore. So my prof hasn't heard from him since. :sad:

img7026779.jpg

Why do I have such a thing for guitarists?
:shrug:

FlyYourKite said:

You and your psychology-inclined brain would enjoy this class so much VP :yes: :hug:

My prof said he told them that he could not cure homosexuality. He said there was nothing he could really do for the family as they had already made their mind up. He offered grief counselling but they refused...although the young man continued to see him for a little while to discuss grief and the changes he would undergo, but he stopped making appointments and said he didn't want to deal with it anymore. So my prof hasn't heard from him since. :sad:

Awwww. :sad: I really hope he's been able to find peace, somehow.

*clings to RUssty* I'm so glad I got to see you! I have to go to bed early to go out and be a geek and help find elements for HP costumes that we're missing for Friday. *facepalm* I'm allergic to mornings. I should have saved one of those cans of coke I got from the Chinese place.

And what's this about Rattle and Hum?

VintagePunk said:

Awwww. :sad: I really hope he's been able to find peace, somehow.

I hope so too. It's so depressing hearing stories like that. And it's even more depressing to think that there are thousands more like it, I'm sure.

:( Ah someone please lighten the mood.

Sad_Girl said:
Drea and JT Adam are soooo cute... every single time she walks into a room and sees him, or he walks into the room where she is, she goes all weak in the knees and swoons and bats her eyelashes at him and sighs all dreamy like. :cute: :giggle: and almost as often, He wolf whistles at her :sexywink:

It's a wonder they're not on their second or third sim baby!

:lmao: Can you blame me? You know how I feel about JT era Adam :wink: :laugh:

greeneyedgirl said:
Russty, did you know that Joe Perry has speakers and mics in his shower?

First off stick your lucky charms! :lol: You stinker!

And what the heck would he need speakers and a mic in his shower for? :laugh:

CeeCee said:
*clings to RUssty* I'm so glad I got to see you! I have to go to bed early to go out and be a geek and help find elements for HP costumes that we're missing for Friday. *facepalm* I'm allergic to mornings. I should have saved one of those cans of coke I got from the Chinese place.

And what's this about Rattle and Hum?

I hate mornings too! Luckily my conference call tomorrow isn't until 11am.

I have a vhs copy of R& H, do you be needing one? I would be happy to mail it to ya. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom