Pink Floyd Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phanan said:
Money was a hit single, at least in the U.S. It reached #13 on Billboard.

And it took a very long time for DSOTM to start selling. It was on the charts for years as it slowly built up momentum. And then, once it was recognized as an all-time classic, people had to have a copy of it every time a new audio format was released. I remember when it first arrived on CD - it was like a new release. It sold that much.

Ah, OK. So it was mostly a word of mouth hit? :hmm:

LemonMelon said:

Pretty much. Aside from Money, it really didn't get airplay back then as AM radio was still ruling the airwaves.

That's another reason the album kept on selling. When AOR radio took off in the early 80's, cuts from DSOTM were played over and over, exposing a new generation like myself to its wonders.

I wouldn't be surprised if DSOTM sold more copies in the 80's vs. the 70's, with the arrival of AOR radio and CD.

GibsonGirl said:

Roger flip flops quite a bit on that. :lol: Sometimes he says schizophrenia, sometimes he says nervous breakdown... It's entirely possible to have rapid onset schizophrenia. There are two major forms of the illness - acute and chronic schizophrenia. Chronic schizophrenia develops gradually over time and there's usually little chance of recovery. Acute schizophrenia, on the other hand, develops much more rapidly, sometimes within weeks or months (usually in response to traumatic or stressful events) and usually hits in the late teens/early twenties. And it occurs more often in males. This would definitely fit Syd's situation, so if he did have it, it would have been acute.

[/psychology major] :wink:

You have convinced me. :wink:
After reading a little more about schizophrenia, I also found that people that have it, even in a latent form, have an extremely high rate of drug abuse, and are also prone to other health problems (like Syd's Diabetes). It is strange, however, as he seems to have led a fairly independent life after Floyd and his short-lived solo career- reclusive, but not necessarily disconnected from reality. Ironically, his demise brought him legendary status that he likely never would have otherwise achieved.

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:

Roger flip flops quite a bit on that. :lol: Sometimes he says schizophrenia, sometimes he says nervous breakdown... It's entirely possible to have rapid onset schizophrenia. There are two major forms of the illness - acute and chronic schizophrenia. Chronic schizophrenia develops gradually over time and there's usually little chance of recovery. Acute schizophrenia, on the other hand, develops much more rapidly, sometimes within weeks or months (usually in response to traumatic or stressful events) and usually hits in the late teens/early twenties. And it occurs more often in males. This would definitely fit Syd's situation, so if he did have it, it would have been acute.

[/psychology major] :wink:

Are you studing to become a psych major? :nerd:

I think he suffered from some kind of Adrenal problem along the lines of Addison's disease or Cushing's syndrome without the more physical symptoms. He probably also had a Schizotypal Personality Disorder as well. Those would explain why he was so reclusive and why it become so sudden with the stress and drugs.

LemonMelon said:

I think it stayed on Billboard charts for 26 years or something. A few songs got a ton of radio play on rock stations(from my memory) - Time, Money, and Us And Them stand out.

I think the reason perhaps why it sold so well was just the fact maybe that it was incredibly good?

Money was huge, and I think a few other tracks (Us and Them, Brain Damage/Eclipse) got released.

Maybe it was well advertised?

[derails thread]

img0955wg0.jpg

FROM FRONT ROW. Only for the encore (Happiest Days/Another Brick > Vera > Bring The Boys Back Home > Comfortably Numb) BUT STILL.

[/derails thread]

Carry on!

Awesome GibsonGirl. I am so :censored: pumped right now because of that pic. Next Wednesday and Friday :dancing:

And Fridays tix were free cuz Lila googles like a tasmanian devil:hyper:

Was anything different?

hardyharhar said:

Was anything different?

Oh, yes!

img0912ib9.jpg

You are going to have a fantastic time next Wed/Fri. :up: Enjoy it! I'm going to add some more photos and a review in the old RW tour thread that was floating around a while back. But it's going to have to be tomorrow... I have to be at the airport by 4:30 AM. :sad:

GibsonGirl said:
[derails thread]

img0955wg0.jpg

FROM FRONT ROW. Only for the encore (Happiest Days/Another Brick > Vera > Bring The Boys Back Home > Comfortably Numb) BUT STILL.

[/derails thread]

Carry on!

:ohmy: :bow:

Great pics- can't wait to see the official review and photos!

GibsonGirl said:
[derails thread]

img0955wg0.jpg

[/derails thread]

Carry on!

:heart:

:drool:
:combust:

phanan said:

Pretty much. Aside from Money, it really didn't get airplay back then as AM radio was still ruling the airwaves.

Reminds me of the time when Another Brick In The Wall Part II didn´t get airplay in LA at first because CBS´ Walter Yetnikoff tested if the Floyd´s new record would get any airplay without payola. It didn´t, the manager of the Floyd found out and CBS who could´t afford to alienate their superstar group hired the indie promo network back. The same afternoon the song had heavy rotation on every LA station.. old times!

GibsonGirl said:

Oh, yes!

img0912ib9.jpg

You are going to have a fantastic time next Wed/Fri. :up: Enjoy it! I'm going to add some more photos and a review in the old RW tour thread that was floating around a while back. But it's going to have to be tomorrow... I have to be at the airport by 4:30 AM. :sad:

Where, oh where, is GibsonGirl's review? :scratch: Waiting patiently by the computer :whistle:

hardyharhar said:

Where, oh where, is GibsonGirl's review? :scratch: Waiting patiently by the computer :whistle:

It's coming, it's coming! :wink: I wasn't able to write it yesterday - completely exhausted from travelling. I just have to upload a few pictures and then I'll get started on it.

This is one of the bands I grew up listening too thanks to my father... Good childhood memories:wink: Then I stoped listening for a while until their best of came out a few years ago. Now I don't listen to them that much anymore... But it still feels good when I do.

GibsonGirl said:

It's coming, it's coming! :wink: I wasn't able to write it yesterday - completely exhausted from travelling. I just have to upload a few pictures and then I'll get started on it.

The new sig is perfect in more ways than one :up:

You gotta strike when the moment is right without thinking!

COBL_04 said:
:bump:

Sorry, had to bring this back. I've been on a Wish You Were Here binge lately. Frickin amazing song. The vocal delivery is just incredible... :combust: :drool:

Have you heard the whole album yet? If not, leave your e-mail... :sexywink:

cdisantis83 said:
GG, how would you personally rate Floyd's discography?
Mine would be as follows, for anyone interested.

Tier 1
1. Dark Side
2. Wish You Were Here
3. Animals

Tier 2
4. The Wall
5. The Final Cut
6. Meddle

Tier 3
7. Division Bell
8. More
9. Obscured by Clouds

Tier 4
10. Piper
11. Saucerful of Secrets
12. Momentary Lapse

Tier 5
13. Atom Heart Mother
14. Ummagumma

I totally didn't see this post! Sorry. Here is mine:

1. Animals
2. The Final Cut
3. Wish You Were Here
4. The Wall
5. The Dark Side Of The Moon
6. Meddle
7. Obscured By Clouds
8. The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
9. A Saucerful Of Secrets
10. Atom Heart Mother
11. More
12. The Division Bell
13. Ummagumma
14. A Momentary Lapse Of Reason (...or, as I like to call it, A Momentary Lapse of Musical Integrity)

And because I'm bored, I'll rank the solo albums too.

1. Roger Waters - Amused To Death
2. Roger Waters - The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking
3. David Gilmour - David Gilmour
4. Roger Waters - Radio KAOS
5. David Gilmour - On An Island
6. Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs
7. Richard Wright - Wet Dream
8. Syd Barrett - Barrett
9. Richard Wright - Broken China
10. David Gilmour - About Face

I don't own any of Nick's projects because...well, they suck. Didn't include Syd's Opel because it doesn't really count, it being more of a collection of outtakes, and I didn't include Roger's collaboration with Ron Geesin, as he only wrote a couple on that one.

1. Animals
2. Dark Side of the Moon
3. The Wall
4. Wish You Were Here
5. Meddle
6. The Final Cut
7. Atom Heart Mother
8. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
9. A Saucerful of Secrets
10. Obscured by Clouds
11. The Division Bell
12. Ummagumma
13. More
14. A Momentary Lapse of Talent

Animals and Dark Side are virtually tied, I just put Animals in front because it has Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

GibsonGirl said:

BLEATING AND BABBLING I FELL ON HIS NECK WITH A SCREEEEAAAAM! WAVE UPON WAVE OF DEMENTED AVENGERS MARCH CHEERFULLY OUT OF OBSCURITY INTO THE DREAAAAAAAM!

Poor GG, she's losing it :hug:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom