Piece Of Carp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WierdandGilly

The Fly
perhaps this is just my overactive u2 imagination. but do you remember that hideous cover of "ONE" that craig david did? if anyone has heard his song "im walking away" (im not actually sure its called that, but its in the chorus) anyway...i do believe (and my friend backs me up on this) that he ripped of "ONE" for this new 'im walking away' song of his. am i just going crazy and hearing things as i huddle in a corner and knaw on my collection of adam pictures?

:::::mmmmmmm adam pictures:::::::sexywink:

Sorry girls but I don't think he ripped anyone off...I remember when this came out, there were quite a few stories about Bono offering the song to Craig David...here's one of them.

November 3, 2000
From Irish Times:

Bono Offers Track to Craig David

Bono has invited chart prodigy Craig David to weave his magic on a U2 track.

He jotted a note to the 19-year-old singer during a live radio session for London station Capital FM after hearing UK garage star David's version of their song One.

Bono - who recently had a number one with comeback single Beautiful Day - said he had fallen in love with the Mobo Award-winner's song Walking Away.

He said: "We've got a tune on our new album called Walk On and it's the wrong tempo for what's going on with UK garage and that, but it's the right feel, the right soul, and I was wondering whether him and his mates might do a remix of it."

His note said: "Craig, love your Walking Away. Check Walk On on our new CD. Maybe you and your mates could do a remix. It is the wrong tempo, but the right soul - we are your fans.

Bono 2000."

He left the note at the station, where David presents a weekend show, Capital Dancemasters.

I agree that the song ain't so hot but he had permission :)

:no: I can't even listen when somebody covers a U2 song. I mean, imho, they're only going to butcher it.

One possible exception is the REM/U2 combo of "Automatic Baby" performing "One," but of course, Larry and Adam were involved and REM is my second-favorite band, so of course I didn't have too much of a problem with that.

carp3.jpg

Did somebody say carp? :D

*comes back and debates how much U2 content this has and whether or not to move it*

Okay...well...I'll give this thread a chance to get back on track...(sassy me for postin' Craig David pics...I'm not helpin'!!!! :reject: :D).

Bono's American Wife said:
Sorry girls but I don't think he ripped anyone off...I remember when this came out, there were quite a few stories about Bono offering the song to Craig David...here's one of them.

I agree that the song ain't so hot but he had permission :) [/B]

Exactly what I was going to say. I heard Bono talking about it on TV. He liked it.

I quite like Craig David. Anyway Bono can't dislike him that much seeing as how he dedicated 'One' to Craig David at the Brit Awards 2001 and incorporated a bit of 'Walking Away' in to the song.
BTW nice pics BC :D

I will confess as to being totally clueless as to who this Craig David fellow is...Allow I have to say that he looks pretty fine!

respect at all times

i do strive to make a habit of always respecting ones musical choices and not putting anyone down for it but let me just say that craig david possesses one of my least favorite brit accents. its the "really fake-possibly not actually britsh-pop star-cant quite place it-perhaps some lame american doing a bad impression" accent. now if i have offended any1 with the above statement my humble apologies and i will slowly back away and leave now so that you may rip apart my commentary in my absence.:D :wink:

I noticed it right away...

I heard the song on the radio once and immediately thought, "Hey! This is One! What the hell!" I didn't and still don't like the song, despite Bono's approval of the usage of the track. I have to give credit where credit is due, though; David has good taste.

The main reason why I disapprove of this is because I think the song One is, in a way, sacred. I like to think of it as "The Song That Saved the Band". I mean, when Larry heard Edge play the riff, he knew right away that they could still make music together, that U2 could remain intact without jeopardizing their friendship or anything, and that's why they didn't break up despite what they went through during the recording of Achtung Baby! Then Craig David turns it into some song about common teenage love (in my opinion, the shallowest sort)?

:slant:s abound

Queen Betty said:
The main reason why I disapprove of this is because I think the song One is, in a way, sacred. I like to think of it as "The Song That Saved the Band". I mean, when Larry heard Edge play the riff, he knew right away that they could still make music together, that U2 could remain intact without jeopardizing their friendship or anything, and that's why they didn't break up despite what they went through during the recording of Achtung Baby! Then Craig David turns it into some song about common teenage love (in my opinion, the shallowest sort)?

there is the distinct possibility that the majority of the general populace does not consider 'one', or U2 for that matter, to be sacred.

craig david may be one of those crazy people.

i like the song too. it's freshy:yes:

Re: :slant:s abound

kobayashi said:

there is the distinct possibility that the majority of the general populace does not consider 'one', or U2 for that matter, to be sacred.

craig david may be one of those crazy people.

*pout* So? That doesn't make it right. :sad:

wertsie said:

*pout* So? That doesn't make it right. :sad:

well i'm not here to judge.
just seems like misdirected energy.
craig david's song proved quite popular.

on that note someone could come in here and post about how great craig david is for spreading the U2 love and message to a whole new generation of fans. and what a :angel: bono is for allowing it. oh that bono...;)

kobayashi said:

on that note someone could come in here and post about how great craig david is for spreading the U2 love and message to a whole new generation of fans. and what a :angel: bono is for allowing it. oh that bono...;)

:happy: Yeah, everyone has a right to their own opinion.

It's just that that is my favorite song of all-time. It's really important to me.

Viva U2 :heart:

kobayashi said:

Well, this thread was started to address the difference of opinions on Walking Away, so I don't think the energy put into this discussion here is misdirected. :slant: I did give David props for having the good taste to pick One, but I don't know about 'spreading the U2 love'. I mean, if I'd never heard One prior to Walking Away, how would I know that it was sampled (unless I read about it)? How would I know how great One is? I think Bono was generous to let Craig David use the track, but I'm just not into the song. Popularity doesn't always mean quality, at least to me, in this case. You raised some good points though, Kobayashi. :)

Last edited:
Queen Betty said:

Well, this thread was started to address the difference of opinions on Walking Away, so I don't think the energy put into this discussion here is misdirected. :slant: I did give David props for having the good taste to pick One, but I don't know about 'spreading the U2 love'. I mean, if I'd never heard One prior to Walking Away, how would I know that it was sampled (unless I read about it)? How would I know how great One is? I think Bono was generous to let Craig David use the track, but I'm just not into the song. Popularity doesn't always mean quality, at least to me, in this case. You raised some good points though, Kobayashi. :)

Yeah...See, that's my worry!

I remember a couple of years ago when Orgy did their remake of "Blue Monday" and I was watching TRL (don't ask me why!) and somebody was talking about how "original" the song was and stuff. I was like, "HELLO! It's not even THEIR song!"

wertsie said:

Yeah...See, that's my worry!

I remember a couple of years ago when Orgy did their remake of "Blue Monday" and I was watching TRL (don't ask me why!) and somebody was talking about how "original" the song was and stuff. I was like, "HELLO! It's not even THEIR song!"

Ghh! Quasi-plagiarism! Their cover wasn't even that good! What happened to them anyway? *cough*one-hit*cough*wonder*coughcough*

Queen Betty said:

Ghh! Quasi-plagiarism! Their cover wasn't even that good! What happened to them anyway? *cough*one-hit*cough*wonder*coughcough*

:banghead: Yeah...Isn't it slightly pathetic when your only hit isn't even your own song! :laugh:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom