Photographer's Union Part Deux

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you are right. I use just never had use for it. Doesn't mean I don't use it once in a while.

I'm sure you have other outlets to stretch your creative muscles. It's just that this one in particular appeals to me. No right or wrong. It just means that I'm taking photographs where I otherwise wouldn't be

I don't like it either, Justin, but I tend to like clear photos that look like what that scene/moment/object *actually* looked like. I don't like stuff that is overprocessed or has weird washed out color treatments. I guess since I'm not really that artsy, most of the time I just don't get it.

but I tend to like clear photos that look like what that scene/moment/object *actually* looked like.

I wish we had DSLRs that could capture greater dynamic ranges - current DSLRs produce blown highlights and/or clipped shadows for many scenes. Bracketing, filters, tone mapping, exposure blending etc. help offset those problems.

On the subject of everyone and their brother now owning DSLRs, I think that there are negatives and positives.

On the negative end, in addition to print media buying crappy photos, I can't even begin to tell you how many awful wedding photos I have seen over the last 3-4 years. And I don't mean the ones where the couple were students and really wanted to save $ on a wedding (can't blame them, these things are a huge waste of $) so they just "hired" a friend to do it for them as a favour, etc. I mean weddings that people spent $20-30K on, paid a "professional" photographer something like $3K and then posted photos on Facebook that are somewhere in the range of just slightly better than what I could have done, and only so because they had better equipment and were better at post-processing. But otherwise horribly unimaginative, always with weird lighting quirks, and this is especially so for summer/outdoor weddings, strange shadows that I can only assume they thought looked artsy and so on.

On the other hand, someone like my Mom got an entry-level Nikon DSLR a few years ago and then picked up a couple of photography books, simple stuff mostly about composition, light, etc. She is by no means great or even good but she's totally decent now whereas before she'd take shots with half of somebody's body missing. And she's only done so because she felt like she'd bought an "expensive" camera so she had to justify it by learning how to use all of its features.

I experienced this with wedding photographers. I chose a guy whose pictures weren't as "crisp" as the other guy's were, but they actually had feeling. While the other guy had stunning photographs, he had no candid shots, all of them were posed except for the ceremony pictures (which were mediocre). I hate posing. I'd rather have a guy with less expensive gear who knows what he's doing photograph me than some guy who can take great still shots but can't shoot a candid to save his life.

I've had people ask me to shoot their weddings and I said no all but two times. For one, I am not a professional photographer, let alone a wedding photographer. I don't have the experience or the equipment. People seem to think that an entry level DSLR = wedding photographer. I said yes twice because one was my now-SIL and the other was a very good friend and both weddings were very informal, low-key affairs on a tight budget (SIL's wedding was planned very quickly because her husband was a foreigner and it turned out that she wouldn't be able to get the right visas to visit his country if they weren't married here first and that trip was already booked). In both cases there were teens/young adults in the wedding parties that are the type of people who like to arrange interesting poses and helped make the wedding party more photogenic. I can't stage a good photo to save my life! well except maybe a dog. In both cases I did not get paid; the digital photo files were my gift to my sister/friend (friend also gave me a spare U2 ticket as "payment"). I gave them my processed photos and the original files if they wanted someone else to process the raw files. I can't really say I enjoyed doing it (I find it nerve-wracking) but now that my closest friends and relatives are married/re-married I don't think I'll ever have to do it again.

A few from the White House lawn last night (was fortunate to be a guest). I should have brought the dslr - these are from my compact.

WH1.jpg

Brad Paisley (not a country fan)
PAISLEY.jpg

instagram
WHCROPPEDS.jpg

Pat's brother was in town so we showed him around Seattle and I took a bunch of pictures. But I forgot to turn on spot metering and now I have to spend a lot of time post processing to fix it (luckily I shoot raw so I can change the white balance). Skin smoothness was all wrong. :doh: Stupid me.

A few from the White House lawn last night (was fortunate to be a guest). I should have brought the dslr - these are from my compact.

instagram
WHCROPPEDS.jpg

Just wanted to say there's something about this one that I really really like. :up: I spent a long time just looking at all the people, it's very cool.

debating if I should buy the D700 since the price is going down now or wait for the D600? I know the D700 uses the same batteries as the D200, which I currently use as a back up.

debating if I should buy the D700 since the price is going down now or wait for the D600? I know the D700 uses the same batteries as the D200, which I currently use as a back up.

I'm not a Nikon shooter, but 12MP seems a bit dated these days - may not be good for large prints.

Just wanted to say there's something about this one that I really really like. :up: I spent a long time just looking at all the people, it's very cool.

Ya, ntalwar, that instagram pic is awesome

Thanks for the comments.

I'm not a Nikon shooter, but 12MP seems a bit dated these days - may not be good for large prints.

True, I think I will still keep it as an option and see what Nikon's price point will be on the D600, I am also looking at the D4.

I'm beginning to think my flash should start taking permanent residency on my camera. I keep taking it off when I'm done and putting it in its pouch, then I go out somewhere and find out I need flash.

I just noticed something odd.

I see a ton of people with Nikon starer or semi-pro DSLRs with cheap lenses getting great shots. But people who are using the Canon starters tend to be a lot worse at it. I see a few good shots done on the rebels, but the vast majority of the time I come across stuff that looks like any old digital camera could have taken it.

...Shouldn't be talking, my photos are horrible unless I take the time to set them up. But still, this is very much a "chicken or the egg" scenario. Are starter Nikon's more forgiving of mistakes, or are the people shooting Nikons just more skilled to begin with? Hmm...

Took this one today. I really need an f/2.8 lens, it took a lot of tweaking and pp to make it not a jumbled mess of noise. First go at shooting in the covered arena.
7606781728_5740d8a1fa_c.jpg

Cool shot! I like it :)

Reminds me of flyball conditions. Dark, covered arenas/buildings that have huge garage door openings or open sides where light is flooding in, and dogs moving *insanely* fast. No flash allowed.

I see a ton of people with Nikon starer or semi-pro DSLRs with cheap lenses getting great shots. But people who are using the Canon starters tend to be a lot worse at it. I see a few good shots done on the rebels, but the vast majority of the time I come across stuff that looks like any old digital camera could have taken it.

...Shouldn't be talking, my photos are horrible unless I take the time to set them up. But still, this is very much a "chicken or the egg" scenario. Are starter Nikon's more forgiving of mistakes, or are the people shooting Nikons just more skilled to begin with? Hmm...

Took this one today. I really need an f/2.8 lens, it took a lot of tweaking and pp to make it not a jumbled mess of noise. First go at shooting in the covered arena.
7606781728_5740d8a1fa_c.jpg

you should really buy the 40mm, 200 bucks and it`s really really good!, just got mine and I'm really happy with the results!

I'm currently working on photos I took of a sweet girl at the butterfly pavilion here in town today, she was terrified of the butterflies but handled the tarantula like a pro. Go figure.

But this was the last image I actually took today :
nofair.jpg

We can't really figure out the reasoning behind it, but there are a few theories as to why my 2012 wrx with less than 5000 miles on it got egged...

1. Subaru or import cars hater
2. They didn't like my U2 sticker
3. They were a shit shot and were aiming for something else

Once I'm done editing between working on radiology math and case studies for my veterinary science class, I'll actually upload some real effin' pics. This one don't count.

Theories?

All depends on the in-cam settings. If we're talking sharpness/contrast etc, then that can be adjusted in camera if you're using jpeg. I personally shoot raw, and yes, my images look soft - i'll post a before and after later to show you what I mean, but I generally turn down all settings.

i know previously by default that canon's settings weren't set like nikon's, that generally had a higher contrast/sharpness than what canon did. I don't know if that has changed.

But if we're talking kit lens comparisons, then sure, Nikon's are way better. I personally buy only camera bodies as I don't care for kit lenses, since all except my 50 1.4 has this red L on them ;), and I pay for that in order to get quality.

you should really buy the 40mm, 200 bucks and it`s really really good!, just got mine and I'm really happy with the results!

Is that canon's pancake lens? I'm interested in buying it, but I want some real life reviews. I figure it would be a good body cap ;)

50 1.8 ;)
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Lens 2199 B&H Photo Video

Or if you're a canon shooter : http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12142-USA/Canon_2514A002_Normal_EF_50mm_f_1_8.html
I loved my 50 1.8 (aka the plastic fantastic), $100 when I got it. Great lens, but slow on AF.

Just got a 50 1.4 and am LOVING it.

Is that canon's pancake lens? I'm interested in buying it, but I want some real life reviews. I figure it would be a good body cap ;)

50 1.8 ;)
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Lens 2199 B&H Photo Video

Or if you're a canon shooter : Canon Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens 2514A002 B&H Photo
I loved my 50 1.8 (aka the plastic fantastic), $100 when I got it. Great lens, but slow on AF.

Just got a 50 1.4 and am LOVING it.

I'll try to put some pics, but I'm really happy with the results, can't say how much I'll use it for work, but it's a great lens to carry along and like you said as a body cap

pancakelens2.jpg

here's one from today

pizza-002.jpg

I just came home from a journey to Russia. It was so intense and interesting and one of the most exciting and beautiful trips I've ever had. I took tons of pictures and we had amazing weather. In St. Petersburg, the sun went down around 10.30 p. m. and it didn't get dark before midnight. So amazing!

Some of the more interesting pictures I took:

1. Red Square, Moscow

Tag_165_Moskau-8392.jpg

2. Subway Station, Moscow

Tag_164_Moskau-8302.jpg

3. GUM shopping mall, Moscow

Tag_165_Moskau-8403.jpg

4. Souvenirs :wink:

Tag_165_Moskau-8353.jpg

5. Moskwa River,

Tag_166_Moskau-8547.jpg

1. Vassily Island, St. Petersburg, near the shore:

Tag_166_St_Petersburg-8570.jpg

and

Tag_166_St_Petersburg-8574.jpg

2. St. Petersburg

Tag_167_St_Petersburg-8707.jpg

Tag_167_St_Petersburg-8742.jpg

3. The Hermitage

Tag_168_St_Petersburg-8807.jpg

Tag_168_St_Petersburg-8815.jpg

4. Cruise liners at the dock (they go all the way into the city with the bridges being pulled up around 2 a. m. every night)

Tag_168_St_Petersburg-8866.jpg

5. Catherine Palace in Pushkin ... I took a picture in the Amber Room as well (which was forbidden), but it didn't turn out very good, I'm still trying to edit, the colors were amazing

Tag_169_St_Petersburg-8963.jpg

One from my daughter: The original photo had a bit warmer color to it, but I sort of liked this version she toned down, with the color drained of it a little, I guess.

EmeraldsChelseaPenyak.jpg

Emeralds © The George Balanchine Trust

We got a point-and-shoot Canon as an engagement gift a week ago (the S100) and although I haven't had a lot of time to play around with it I have to say that I'm really happy with its performance. My old P&S broke a few years ago and I didn't bother replacing it as I used my Nikon DSLR in combination with my fiance's Sony P&S (which I never really loved) so I didn't know what the improvements were in the last few years. Very pleasantly surprised, I have to say!

My mom is having me scan my Grandpa's WWII photos. We started with Norhausen since she is planning to hand these over to the Holocaust Museum next month (we have an appointment there). We have actual photos, not slides or negatives, so the quality is not that great since the photos are not in the best condition, but later on we will work on the negatives. These are probably showing up on your screen larger than the actual photograph. Even given the quality of the digital image they are still pretty scary.

7981173044_a39127fc90_z.jpg

7981171203_71ab72d82a_z.jpg

7981171447_e34719467d_z.jpg

7981173190_d3a8c55122_z.jpg

7981171115_5a68b01649_z.jpg

7981171581_ba29f53256_z.jpg

7981173878_a3970e49b3_z.jpg

Not so scary
7981171919_41ba1dec55_z.jpg

7981174012_3d82dc455f_z.jpg

(my Grandpa on the right)

His job was to drive the General