PGP: Waiting (not so) patiently for 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wild :drool: :hug: How are you sweetheart? :heart: People are just crawling out of the woodwork all over the place. ;)

And Jess and CeeCee I'm :lol: I'm partial to said guitarus myself. ;) Darn talented boys with their guitars get to me every time.

:shocked: String Theory? Time Travel? Is this possible? Am I not the only civillian in the world who actually talks about these sorts of things?

:D Theoretical physicist at your service.

:hyper: I don't know if I should squee or swoon! Someday, when I grow up, I'll be an anthropologist or archeologist. I know a guy who's a mathematical physicist. I told a friend of mind that I didn't think that was possible.

Hi everyone! :sexywink:

Wow all of these awesome people coming out of the woodwork! :hyper: :hug:

It is incredibly humid here. Oh southwestern Ontario summers, how I loathe you. Hope all of you are enjoying your Saturday!

:hyper: I don't know if I should squee or swoon! Someday, when I grow up, I'll be an anthropologist or archeologist. I know a guy who's a mathematical physicist. I told a friend of mind that I didn't think that was possible.

Mathematical physicist? He's only interested in the math of physics? :tsk: How will we ever build interstellar spacecraft or light sabers if we have physicists out there who are only intersted in...math? Granted a lot of physics is math, but it's also the mechanics of things, small and large.

I don't know. Maybe he's more applied than theoretical? I'm not sure. I've not gotten into it too far with him. We have mostly philosophical discussions on things.

I was just being funny. And I'm the only one who got the joke. :reject: Einstein was a mathematical physicist.

:shock: I never knew that! I thought he was a mathematician! :reject:

My thing is time. I find time incredibly fascinating. Because we can't exactly describe what time is. And there have been so many man-made calendars over the eons, that the date and the clock are arbitrary. They're man-made impositions on time. We break it down into minutes and seconds and other minutiae, but a second is not a actual thing like a key or a phone. Its only representation to us is a ticking hand on a clock, which, if it's on battery power, may vary, depending on the life of the batteries. I mean, I can't even tell you, at the moment, what "at the moment" means, even momentarily.

My thing is time. I find time incredibly fascinating. Because we can't exactly describe what time is. And there have been so many man-made calendars over the eons, that the date and the clock are arbitrary. They're man-made impositions on time. We break it down into minutes and seconds and other minutiae, but a second is not a actual thing like a key or a phone. It's only representation to us is a ticking hand on a clock, which, if it's on battery power, may vary, depending on the life of the batteries. I mean, I can't even tell you, at the moment, what "at the moment" means, even momentarily.

Well, you also run into the issue that humans see time as a linear, sequential thing. But there is no guarantee that it is linear. I mean what if the past, present and future are all occurring at the same time? We can't know for sure that it doesn't happen that way. For all we know, time is something humans invented to give their lives meaning and purpose.

:hug: Drea :hug:Dazz :hug:Bonoishot (Sweetie I still can't help but see, Bono I shot. :shifty: ) Hi my lovely friends! And hello to the nice new faces. I haven't been around in ages, so it will take me a while to learn everyone's names. But I don't bite...unless you want me too. ;)

The rioting over basketball is incredibly lame. LA so doesn't need that! Sometimes I think people lack brains.

Dazz, sorry I missed you sweetie. Hopefully I can pop in on Monday or Tuesday when you are around. <3

Wow. Long time no PGP for me. I'm actually at my uncle's house in Pa cause a stupid, stinky boy abandoned me. Rat :censored:

I was supposed to go kyacking today, but apparently one lone person can not be in a kyack alone if they've never been in one. So instead I'm at his house, on his computer, surfing Blue Crack.

Hi guys. Nice you meet you :wave:

I'm Kristen.

Well, you also run into the issue that humans see time as a linear, sequential thing. But there is no guarantee that it is linear. I mean what if the past, present and future are all occurring at the same time? We can't know for sure that it doesn't happen that way. For all we know, time is something humans invented to give their lives meaning and purpose.

Exactly. Things only seem years ago because we have divided time into years and months. But The Earth doesn't turn all the way around in 24 hours exactly every day. Some days it's faster and some days it's slower based on--get this-- the wind blowing across the surface and pushing the Earth on it's axis faster. The sun doesn't follow the same track across the sky every day, it doesn't rise and set at the same times. Yet we still call it a day. We're slowly inching toward the sun in our orbit around it. That means our orbit is getting faster and our year is getting shorter, yet we stick to 365 days making up a year, as we call our trek around the sun. And even madder, every four years, we add an extra day cause the Earth wobbles in its orbit and its rotation!

Though some scientists say that time is the only thing that keeps everything from happening all at once. :hmm: And Special Relativity pretty much dictates that even though somethings seem simultaneous, if looked at on a smaller scale, you'll see one did happen before the other.

Hi Fly! *huge hugs* How are you? I was just thinking about you the other day. How is school going?

Hi Kristen. It's nice to meet you. :wave: :D

And I see that I will never bee talking to CeeCee again as Jess has stolen her away. :sad: :lol:

There are only three time units that have any astronomical basis.

Day: Sunrise to sunrise.
Month: Moon's orbit around Earth.
Year: Earth's trip around the sun.

Beyond that (and even those a bit), we have made up for ourselves. It's only 19th of June 2010 because some group of clerics decided it was so back with the Nicene Creed. Take into consideration the Jewish Calendar. They're approaching their 7000th year. The Mayans and their intricate calendar. We only call the universe 13.7 billion years old because that's as far as WMAP can listen back and hear and detect the microwaves from the Big Bang. And we can only see back 13.7 billion years with our most powerful optical telescopes. But that doesn't mean that's the true age of the universe. Who knows what else is out there beyond the ultra-deep field's horizon?

Exactly. Things only seem years ago because we have divided time into years and months. But The Earth doesn't turn all the way around in 24 hours exactly every day. Some days it's faster and some days it's slower based on--get this-- the wind blowing across the surface and pushing the Earth on it's axis faster. The sun doesn't follow the same track across the sky every day, it doesn't rise and set at the same times. Yet we still call it a day. We're slowly inching toward the sun in our orbit around it. That means our orbit is getting faster and our year is getting shorter, yet we stick to 365 days making up a year, as we call our trek around the sun. And even madder, every four years, we add an extra day cause the Earth wobbles in its orbit and its rotation!

Though some scientists say that time is the only thing that keeps everything from happening all at once. :hmm: And Special Relativity pretty much dictates that even though somethings seem simultaneous, if looked at on a smaller scale, you'll see one did happen before the other.

Oh, I know! And then you've got solar flares that hit the earth, and you've got the shifting magnetic field that is shown to flop once every... hundred thousand years I think.... And take this whole Daylight Savings Time thing. I mean, I understand it's purpose, but really, now, does it do the US any good when very few to almost no other countries observe it? Not even all of the states observe it.

You know what I want to know? this Big Bang Theory. How can we possible be sure when this thing happened? Isn't is just an educated guess?

Hi Fly! *huge hugs* How are you? I was just thinking about you the other day. How is school going?

Hi Kristen. It's nice to meet you. :wave: :D

And I see that I will never bee talking to CeeCee again as Jess has stolen her away. :sad: :lol:
Sorry. I get excited when someone understands what I'm nerding about.

Hi there, Kristin! I'm CeeCee, Edge and Adam lover and Near Clone to Mucca when she's around. :)

I'll be over here in the corner being chopped liver. I was going to offer a certain girl to make her a bigger icon. But I guess I'll just go hide behind the Pleba couch with the dust bunnies.:reject::shifty:

There are only three time units that have any astronomical basis.

Day: Sunrise to sunrise.
Month: Moon's orbit around Earth.
Year: Earth's trip around the sun.

Beyond that (and even those a bit), we have made up for ourselves. It's only 19th of June 2010 because some group of clerics decided it was so back with the Nicene Creed. Take into consideration the Jewish Calendar. They're approaching their 7000th year. The Mayans and their intricate calendar. We only call the universe 13.7 billion years old because that's as far as WMAP can listen back and hear and detect the microwaves from the Big Bang. And we can only see back 13.7 billion years with our most powerful optical telescopes. But that doesn't mean that's the true age of the universe. Who knows what else is out there beyond the ultra-deep field's horizon?

Well, look at how the Julian Calendar has changed? It's changed... twice or three times? It differs from all other Calenders. It's all arbitrary. I believe the Muslim calender is off too. Everyone has different views on time, except that it's rather linear.

Oh, I know! And then you've got solar flares that hit the earth, and you've got the shifting magnetic field that is shown to flop once every... hundred thousand years I think.... And take this whole Daylight Savings Time thing. I mean, I understand it's purpose, but really, now, does it do the US any good when very few to almost no other countries observe it? Not even all of the states observe it.

You know what I want to know? this Big Bang Theory. How can we possible be sure when this thing happened? Isn't is just an educated guess?

Daylight Savings time makes no bloody sense. When applied to astronomy.

That's why it's a theory and all the data collected regarding the beginning of the universe pretty much confirms that there was a Big Bang at least 13.7 billion years ago...but was there time before that? Or does time only exist in this universe because we have the three spatial dimensions to go with it? What did the universe start from? What was the singularity? Why did it go Ka-Boom? Was there anything before the Big Bang?

Now we're getting into m-theory. :drool: I love m-theory.

I'll be over here in the corner being chopped liver. I was going to offer a certain girl to make her a bigger icon. But I guess I'll just go hide behind the Pleba couch with the dust bunnies.:reject::shifty:

I'm sorry! I didn't mean to make you feel like chopped liver! I got excited by the physics and time and linear time and... yeah. *puts on her nerd hat*

:reject: I feel like I've ruined an important reunion with nerdiness.

Sorry. I get excited when someone understands what I'm nerding about.

No, don't worry at all Jess. I was just teasing. I love that you guys have something in common. I love that about Pleba, we can talk about all sorts of fun stuff. :D

I love the idea of time travel and trying to understand how the earth's rotation and the sun affect every thing. To me it all just seems so massive and amazing.

Gotta love kids. My five year old, Jack just came in covered in chocolate ice cream, danced around, and asked if I could get her a cup of juice. :lol:

No, don't worry at all Jess. I was just teasing. I love that you guys have something in common. I love that about Pleba, we can talk about all sorts of fun stuff. :D

I love the idea of time travel and trying to understand how the earth's rotation and the sun affect every thing. To me it all just seems so massive and amazing.

Gotta love kids. My five year old, Jack just came in covered in chocolate ice cream, danced around, and asked if I could get her a cup of juice. :lol:

I have a seven-year-old brother with autism. I know what that's like :lol:

CeeCee, I'm going to test your mettle:

Does light travel in a wave or it is a particle?

Yes, I know I'm evil. I'm okay with that.

I'm sorry! I didn't mean to make you feel like chopped liver! I got excited by the physics and time and linear time and... yeah. *puts on her nerd hat*

*hands you a tin cone shaped nerd hat* Nerd hats for everyone! :hyper:

Don't worry it was all just a big distraction so no one would see me jumping on the couch. ;)

*whispers to Jess* I have a wee crush on CeeCee. :love: I like to poke her with sticks and pull her hair a bit. But don't tell her. I'm rather shy. :shifty:

Daylight Savings time makes no bloody sense. When applied to astronomy.

That's why it's a theory and all the data collected regarding the beginning of the universe pretty much confirms that there was a Big Bang at least 13.7 billion years ago...but was there time before that? Or does time only exist in this universe because we have the three spatial dimensions to go with it? What did the universe start from? What was the singularity? Why did it go Ka-Boom? Was there anything before the Big Bang?

Now we're getting into m-theory. :drool: I love m-theory.

And there's no way to know. For all we know, this isn't the first Big Bang. Maybe it's the third. Or the hundredth. Maybe it all goes outward, gets sucked back, and goes Ka-Boom again. Maybe it doesn't. Maybe there's more than one ka-Boom. Maybe out there somewhere are other Ka-Booms.

*hands you a tin cone shaped nerd hat* Nerd hats for everyone! :hyper:

Don't worry it was all just a big distraction so no one would see me jumping on the couch. ;)

*whispers to Jess* I have a wee crush on CeeCee. :love: I like to poke her with sticks and pull her hair a bit. But don't tell her. I'm rather shy. :shifty:

*goes for the ultra-dense and/or ultra-distracted response* You do realize she can see that, don't you?

Yes, I know. That's just the first thing my brain thought of. I facepalmed. I swear to God, I'm smart. :giggle:

CeeCee, I'm going to test your mettle:

Does light travel in a wave or it is a particle?

Yes, I know I'm evil. I'm okay with that.

Oooo. If I recall what I've read, it's both. Or a particle wave? Something like that. I read more about subjects that I never take classes in. I know particle waves exist. That's why there are wave meters when you deal with electronics. The waves tell you how the electricity is moving in the circuit.

Back
Top Bottom