PGP: I'm Dreaming of a U2 Christmas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have HD size envy. But I did get a 2TB external drive for Christmas. The bummer is that it was not Time Machine compatible, but whatever.
Dude, I'd love a 2TB external hard drive.... I got a 1TB, but it's over half full already. :reject:

I would have been John. I figure that I feel so different with this one (and my hairdresser said my hair felt different) that it was a boy.

Feeling a baby is like having one of Gg's fish swimming in your belly. :D
:lol:

:ohmy:

I saw Zero Dark Thirty this afternoon. Incredible account of Bin Laden's death. Even though you know the outcome it's still incredibly suspenseful and very nerve wracking at the end. I was practically on the edge of my seat while they searched the house.

Hee. This is so totally unexpected. :reject: Been a long, long time. And I have to thank you Comet for bringing this to my attention. *kiss*. I've been lurking over on fanfic. geez, was it really that long ago that I wrote Diary of the Downcast, or The Diaries as it's better known? shite....where did the time go.

OK, leaving now. Don't want to bore anyone who's joined since I was here and who doesn't know what the feck I'm talking about. *runs away*.

Oh and I have to say hello to MsP...Hello there honey. I do so hope you're fine right now. And your sister. And GG, hi. Been following you on facebook. I hope everything is going well. Do you still play bass? *jealous*. Ok, I've been learning the piano. Ok, I'm a bit old for that but hey, it's working, lol. Hugs to MsP and GG. Been too long. :hug:

So glad to hear from you! :hug: :love:

:sad: Some days I hate my country's weather so much.

We've had the most beautiful two weeks, snow, then freezing cold so everything stayed white while the roads were cleaned and everything. Then yesterday some more snow, at last...

and today it's been raining since the middle of the night. All the snow BAM gone, and everything looks as gloomy and depressing as autumn. :sad: My snoooooow.

Dazzled, you here? How are you? :hug: How was the inauguration?

Watching videos from Pop. I often forget how much I love that album.

Eta - Please just came on. And it reminded me, when I was getting back into U2 hardcore in '04, I ordered this dvd http://www.amazon.ca/U2-Best-90-00-Bono/dp/B00007G1SP/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1359332829&sr=8-28 and then not long after getting the dvd, I bought a big screen tv...I told everyone I needed it, but really, the biggest reason was to watch my U2 dvds closer to scale. :shifty: I remember pausing this dvd on the shot where Bono's face takes up the whole screen, and leaving it like that for hours. :lol:

Eta 2 - this song also reminds me, at the '05 Toronto shows, there was this girl wandering around for the week with a cardboard sign hanging around her neck, much like the old guy in the video. She was French, and the sign said her name, and after we found that out, Linda said that all week she'd thought the girl was wearing the French word for "please" around her neck. :lol: Good times...

Dazzled, you here? How are you? :hug: How was the inauguration?

Watching videos from Pop. I often forget how much I love that album.

Eta - Please just came on. And it reminded me, when I was getting back into U2 hardcore in '04, I ordered this dvd http://www.amazon.ca/U2-Best-90-00-Bono/dp/B00007G1SP/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1359332829&sr=8-28 and then not long after getting the dvd, I bought a big screen tv...I told everyone I needed it, but really, the biggest reason was to watch my U2 dvds closer to scale. :shifty: I remember pausing this dvd on the shot where Bono's face takes up the whole screen, and leaving it like that for hours. :lol:

Eta 2 - this song also reminds me, at the '05 Toronto shows, there was this girl wandering around for the week with a cardboard sign hanging around her neck, much like the old guy in the video. She was French, and the sign said her name, and after we found that out, Linda said that all week she'd thought the girl was wearing the French word for "please" around her neck. :lol: Good times...

:hug: VP
intermittent connection from someone else

I'm working hard on a open call small works art show due end of this new week! :panic: :lol:

The Inauguration was great! We were there the day before to bop around the museums and it was 52F sunny, no wind :drool::love: We heard a lovely Junior Highschool chorus practicing at The Capitol! Soooo sweet and pretty sounding!

And we had the best meal the night before! At- remember this place Founding Farmers. wow I've eaten at various Southern/Soul Food places in Harlem throughtout tghe decades. I've never had either Skillet CornBbread, nor Pan-fried Chicken & Waffles! :drool: x's 10!

And to top it off they made there own hand-churned ice cream;

I had a Deep Chocolate Milkshake ....:drool: x 100 omg! My sis had the DC ice cream (and it was woah :fans self: :lol: ) just as wonderful!
They said "World's Best Milkshake" It's up at the Pinnacle!And I managed to avoid brainfreeze, too!

At The Mall we ended up being situated ( it was a "smaller" crowd" but still around a million!) between two sound speakers . Sometimes that might make things better in this case they were just off enough to make the sound "blurry". So i barely caught any oif it foir sure. I took a whole bunch of pics as he was speaking so I could read the Cclosed captions on the way home on the train.

It seemed good, ands when i heartd/watched it on YT even better!

And now it looks like Sen Majority

Good luck with your art!

So glad you had a good time! I did read that this inauguration was a little more sedate, but what could live up to the euphoria of the first time??

Sounds like you had a lot of good food, too. :drool: I've actually made cornbread a few times in the past 6 months. I hadn't had it since I was a kid - there is a large native population around here (we're just minutes from one of the largest if not the largest reservation in Canada) and we were at a native event, and i had it there. It's super easy to make and so yummy!

Can't stop watching If God Will Send His Angels. I love that video so, so much. I remember reading for the first time how it was shot, and Bono had to learn to lip sync it in time...and then the subject matter, and how he just looks awkward and physically uncomfortable in the video...it's just perfect. Definitely in my top 5 faves. Joanou did and amazing job with that one.

looks like Senate Majority Leader Dem Harry Reid has basically ruined much of Prs Obama's abilty to even get his ideas debated before the full senate and thus in front of the American people bc of not changing certain major Filibuster rules. Like no more 60 votes to end a filibuster, instead 41 votes to continue a filibuster. Anmd hopefully the talking filibuster returns.
So many people warned Reid he couldn't trust McConnel since he3 had saiod at behinning of Obama's first term ... his (Mc?Connel's ) #1 job would be to make Prs Obama a 1 term President.

INSTEAD on ?Fri he (Ried) made a handshake agreement withn Sen Minority Leader Republican Mitch McConnel that they (Republicans) would not use the fillibuster as they they had (over 300! which can be called in by phone Anonimously NO MORE Jimmy Stewaret [ 'Mr Smith Goes To Washington[/B]'-style "talking fillibuster" anymore.

And THEN 2 hours later McConnel e-mailed his Republicans "we beat The Liberals"

I swear i want to scream and spitalmost every time i think about this and surely when i heard it! AAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!
:rant::sad::rant:

Your system of government seems to have so many "checks and balances" that it seems to be difficult to get anything done. Must be frustrating. And I do believe that Obama fully intended to engage with the other side, so if he can't do it, I'm not sure if anyone can. Sad.

We actually had a groundbreaking day in Ontario yesterday. The Liberal party is in power in the province, and a few months ago, the leader stepped down, and the party held its convention to elect a new leader (similar to your state governors) yesterday. They elected an openly gay female to be our provincial premier, so that's good. And the most amazing part is that her name has been in the media a ton over recent months, and I had no idea she was gay until yesterday. Makes me happy that that's not even an issue.

She's not from the party I support, though, the NDPs...we also have a female party leader in Ontario, and I was hoping she'd be the first female premiere of Ontario. Maybe next election. Still, I'm happy that our new premier's gender and sexuality wasn't an issue at all.

Good luck with your art!

So glad you had a good time! I did read that this inauguration was a little more sedate, but what could live up to the euphoria of the first time??

Sounds like you had a lot of good food, too. :drool: I've actually made cornbread a few times in the past 6 months. I hadn't had it since I was a kid - there is a large native population around here (we're just minutes from one of the largest if not the largest reservation in Canada) and we were at a native event, and i had it there. It's super easy to make and so yummy!

Can't stop watching If God Will Send His Angels. I love that video so, so much. I remember reading for the first time how it was shot, and Bono had to learn to lip sync it in time...and then the subject matter, and how he just looks awkward and physically uncomfortable in the video...it's just perfect. Definitely in my top 5 faves. Joanou did and amazing job with that one.

Thanks and thanks! maybe you can post a recipie here or a link for it!

:hmm: IGWSHA Video ....is that the one in the bus?

:hmm: my 5 or so fave ......

i haven't seen all of them bc of intermittent net, furher back not always having MTV and forget to catch the handful or so i haven't seen or only seen once and way back on YT!!!

The Fly, EBTTRT, ?Stay, Numb, and ..............

you know i only saw the vid for ?? UTEOTW totally for the first time last week?!!! Is that the one with the wildly colored landscapes/urbanscapes rolling along; Edge wrapped up in plastic wrap, Larry looking like the top half of a Greek Statue??????

Mmm... cornbread! :drool: I haven't had that in ages.

I was sick for a few weeks, and ever since I've been SO lazy, cooking-wise. :tsk: Hopefully I'll be better this week. It will probably also help that I have no dinner/lunch dates planned. :lol:

Evening, ladies!

Hey Thora! :hug: Are you feeling better now? I've still not completely shaken that nasty flu, but I'd say I'm about 80% better. I still have the cough. And it's just about 4 weeks for me. :|

I know people who got it a few weeks before I did, and they're still coughing, yay! :lol:

Hi VP! :hug: Yes, I'm totally fine now, thankfully. The plague of doom had me for almost 2 weeks, so it wasn't for as long as you. That sucks! :sad: Hopefully it's all gone soon. That's a LONG time to be sick for!

Was it the flu, or just a bad cold? There's so much going around now. Mine was the flu, and everyone's talking about the lingering cough. I was flat on my back for 4 days. One the 4th day I thought I was feeling better, and got up to tidy the house a bit. I was tidied for literally 3 minutes, and then felt so weak I had to go lie down again, and I had a meltdown and bawled my eyes out. :lol: Sarah said "it's okay, you're sick." I was all "no, I'm never the sick one, I'm the one who takes care of sick people, this sucks and I don't like it a bit!" :lol: I bet I haven't been that sick for 15 or 20 years. I haven't even had a cold for 7 or 8 years!

Aww! :lol:

I really have no idea what the flu technically is. :lol: I always assumed it had something to do with barfing, so whenever I get sick, I always say I have a cold.

Whatever I had started off with a sore throat for a few days, then for the rest of the time it was up in my sinuses. I missed a few days of work, but I had two weekends where I basically laid around on my couch and groaned that my head/nose/throat were out to kill me. :lol:

This is the worst cold I've had in years. I'll get a small cold once a year (if that), but this one was extra painful and long. My workplace is INSANELY clean and sanitized, because we work with people who have low immune systems, so I'm surprised that I even caught it in the first place. But thankfully it appears to be done now.

We actually had a groundbreaking day in Ontario yesterday. The Liberal party is in power in the province, and a few months ago, the leader stepped down, and the party held its convention to elect a new leader (similar to your state governors) yesterday. They elected an openly gay female to be our provincial premier, so that's good. And the most amazing part is that her name has been in the media a ton over recent months, and I had no idea she was gay until yesterday. Makes me happy that that's not even an issue.

She's not from the party I support, though, the NDPs...we also have a female party leader in Ontario, and I was hoping she'd be the first female premiere of Ontario. Maybe next election. Still, I'm happy that our new premier's gender and sexuality wasn't an issue at all.

wow that's good!

Well, in the past there were many more Moderate & Liberal Republicans not just Conservative Republicans that would be willing to reach across the aisle. The LR are all gone and many of the Moderates have been driven out by UberConservatives/Tea Party'ers or quit bc of such Conservatism unwilling to budge.

Eisenhower (a Republican) couldn't be elected today. Maybe not even Reagen and he paved the way for union-busting, "trickle-down economics" etc

And Dems never used the fillibuster the way the these Republicans have until reccently you might have a few or less each Congressional Session (2 years), not 300+ !!!by now 80%+ he's back with a "mangled" "hand".

Many of these Republicans are Uber Corporatists, right to work states, trickle downers , more tax breaks for the rich, , don't care about the poor, working class or much of the middle claas either - def not the lower, or middle MC, the elderly or the disabled. Don't care too much for "uppity" people of color, or women, and LGBTG :yikes: either. Thewre some Dems like that too, but waaay less!

It's what several people I've heard now call it " 'the Southernization' of America".

Aww! :lol:

I really have no idea what the flu technically is. :lol: I always assumed it had something to do with barfing, so whenever I get sick, I always say I have a cold.

Whatever I had started off with a sore throat for a few days, then for the rest of the time it was up in my sinuses. I missed a few days of work, but I had two weekends where I basically laid around on my couch and groaned that my head/nose/throat were out to kill me. :lol:

This is the worst cold I've had in years. I'll get a small cold once a year (if that), but this one was extra painful and long. My workplace is INSANELY clean and sanitized, because we work with people who have low immune systems, so I'm surprised that I even caught it in the first place. But thankfully it appears to be done now.

Flu symptoms aren't always barfy (shudder...I've had that a few times too, and it hits me like a ton of bricks). I started off with a mild sore throat (which other people I've heard, the soreness was severe), and then about 18 hrs later, I was hit with chills, crazy fatigue - at one point, I slept for 18 hrs straight - weakness, body ache, head ache, and for the first few days, when I coughed it felt like knives going through my chest. The latter thankfully only lasted a couple of days. The funny thing, I started with the sore throat new years eve, and the worst of it hit me the next day, so I went back to work on the 7th, and the sinusy stuff didn't start till then. My work is horribly dry though, and I blame that for a lot of the lingering symptoms. I have humidifiers at home and everything would feel loose at home, and then when I got to work, it would all tighten again.

Flu symptoms aren't always barfy (shudder...I've had that a few times too, and it hits me like a ton of bricks). I started off with a mild sore throat (which other people I've heard, the soreness was severe), and then about 18 hrs later, I was hit with chills, crazy fatigue - at one point, I slept for 18 hrs straight - weakness, body ache, head ache, and for the first few days, when I coughed it felt like knives going through my chest. The latter thankfully only lasted a couple of days. The funny thing, I started with the sore throat new years eve, and the worst of it hit me the next day, so I went back to work on the 7th, and the sinusy stuff didn't start till then. My work is horribly dry though, and I blame that for a lot of the lingering symptoms. I have humidifiers at home and everything would feel loose at home, and then when I got to work, it would all tighten again.

My sore throat was like fire knives right from the beginning. It was awful!! It hurt to swallow, so I was constantly crying for those few days that my throat was sore, because it hurt so damn much. I had a day or two after the sore throat where I thought I was done with being sick and then the sinus crap came. :yuck:

I'm very stubborn, so I'll only go to the doctor to get medication or whatever if I feel like I'm on death's door. Yeah, I was in pain, but I wasn't about to go sit in a waiting room full of other sick people only for them to tell me that all I could do is sit it out (which is what I'm sure I would have been told).

SO many people have been sick - it's crazy! A friend of mine in London had exactly the same thing as I did and we were just a day or two apart in the progression of our illness, so we were commiserating on Twitter a lot for those two weeks. :wink:

Maybe not even Reagen and he paved the way for union-busting, "trickle-down economics" etc.

Reagen and the way he's perceived today pisses me off. He wasn't a hero. He didn't end the cold war. The USSR was collapsing on itself, wasn't sustainable, and that's what won it. Also, Carter got a shitty deal, with the release of the hostages not being announced till after Reagan won.

Carter is an amazing ex-president, he and Rosalyn have done so much good work. Someone to look up to, for sure.

Huh. My post seems to have disappeared. Weird. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion about pictures at home, VP. Will have to try that! :up: I know I probably read about it, but it didn't register. :)

Okay, that does sound like the flu, the way my sister had it...she described the throat/knives thing. My niece (her daughter) had it more like me, but she got it a few weeks before I did, and she's still coughing, she says (SOB!).

Whatever it was, wasn't fun.

That sucks about the days off situation. :tsk:

Because I'm only on a one year contract right now, I'm not a permanent employee, and thus have no paid sick leave or other benefits. I had to use up the extra time I accumulated during the month of December, where I worked pretty much every single day. I would have rather spent that time for days off doing fun things, but at least I had paid time that I could take to recuperate. I still have two extra days off left, so at least I didn't have to use all of that time while I was sick. :up:

Now that we have Family Day as an official holiday in BC, we get a holiday each month, so that's great. There will be at least one long weekend a month for the majority of the year (except for April, I think, since Easter's in March).

:wave: hi thora glad u r feeling better.

hi drea if you're still here!

Hi dazz! I see you got to go to DC for the inauguration! That's awesome!

Back
Top Bottom