"People are fed up with us and so are we"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rich79

Acrobat
Ha, bet you thought that this was another quote by Bono. No, no...who else but Coldplay's Chris Martin (Bono jr. - and I don't mean that as an affectionate term).

I just received an article about Coldplay's new album. And may I say, that this article was one of the most shameful things I've read. The first problem with it, of course, was that it came to me from a U2 mailing list; a mailing list that should have nothing to do with Coldplay. Secondly, I was gravely irritated by the desperate attempt by the author of the article and the band themselves to further the disgusting rumour that Coldplay is the next U2 and are just "carrying the torch".

1. First off, we all knew that they got Brian Eno to produce their (surprise, surprise) 4th album. Oh my, where on earth would that idea come from?!

2. Secondly, they somehow managed to get talks started that they were breaking up with a simple quote "You won't see us
at one of these for many, many years." - referring to an award show. Followed up by rumours of experimentation on new music. Hmm, apparently the "Dream it all up again" speech works for anyone these days.

3. "but he (Eno) has also produced some of U2's most
successful albums, including The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby.
It would appear that it is this side of Eno that Coldplay tapped into." - No, really?! I would have never guessed they would try to get the side of Brian Eno that helped make U2 what they are now.

4. "What I can say is that themes of death and
resurrection are strongly present, apparently confirming a long-held
suspicion that, like their heroes U2, there is a Christian element to
Coldplay." - The same themes that U2 uses? Wow, have to give them points for originality on that one.

5. "If anything, the new Coldplay are brighter and more uplifting than
ever. These are songs full of the kind of anthemic touches that will
make people want to hold their mobile phones in the air." - Hmm, wonder where we've heard big anthemic rock that people hold their cell phones up to...it sounds so familiar, I just can't place it.

6. "Martin said the group are still "obsessed with making songs that can
be sung to the rafters"." - No way, I'm not familiar with any band who makes songs like that, are you?

okay, I'm stopping there, but there are many more. I realize I'll take a lot of heat for all this, but I'm just trying to make a point:

Coldplay makes good music (original sounding, too). I won't deny that. However, their model for success is almost to the point of downright plagiarism. It is one thing to take inspiration from your idols, but it's totally different to try and take some of the exact same steps to the top. Coldplay the band = creative, even exciting at times; Coldplay the business = shameful.

People will say they are just carrying a torch (but I still say that there is no torch needed to carry...wait until it is actually 'handed down', instead of grabbing for something that is larger than you'll ever be). Everyone wants the next U2 before U2 is even close to being finished making music.

I can't wait until Martin says "This is the sound of four men chopping the head off that all the blood rushed to" and starting to wear sunglasses 24/7...and everyone still allowing him/them to get away with it.

I don't get it. Why shouldn't they follow a successful business plan? :scratch:

they're fans, like us...

hell, I'd do the same thing if I were in a band... trying to follow that path, that's not only succesfull, but INSPIRING

sure, I would make it my way, but who wouldn't follow one idols' steps?

Coldplay will never come close to U2's stature. Rich, I see your point, and I actually started to get a bit annoyed, but if you put yourselves in their shoes, it's not that "shameful" if you follow, like indra said, a successful business plan by your longitme idols.

Just because I'm bored I'm going to take your post sort of seriously.

Rich79 said:
1. First off, we all knew that they got Brian Eno to produce their (surprise, surprise) 4th album. Oh my, where on earth would that idea come from?!

Yeah, why the hell would a band want to work with a renowned record producer who has a history of turning out great stuff?

2. Secondly, they somehow managed to get talks started that they were breaking up with a simple quote "You won't see us
at one of these for many, many years." - referring to an award show. Followed up by rumours of experimentation on new music. Hmm, apparently the "Dream it all up again" speech works for anyone these days.

Or it could be that they realized that if they keep turning out the same sounding stuff, they're going to fade into obscurity in no time.

3. "but he (Eno) has also produced some of U2's most
successful albums, including The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby.
It would appear that it is this side of Eno that Coldplay tapped into." - No, really?! I would have never guessed they would try to get the side of Brian Eno that helped make U2 what they are now.

Again, it seems like a no brainer to choose a producer who has a history of working on successful albums. Especially if you admire the band he worked with.

4. "What I can say is that themes of death and
resurrection are strongly present, apparently confirming a long-held
suspicion that, like their heroes U2, there is a Christian element to
Coldplay." - The same themes that U2 uses? Wow, have to give them points for originality on that one.

Because no one before U2 ever wrote about death and resurrection?

5. "If anything, the new Coldplay are brighter and more uplifting than
ever. These are songs full of the kind of anthemic touches that will
make people want to hold their mobile phones in the air." - Hmm, wonder where we've heard big anthemic rock that people hold their cell phones up to...it sounds so familiar, I just can't place it.

Because no one ever wrote uplifting anthemic songs before U2?

6. "Martin said the group are still "obsessed with making songs that can
be sung to the rafters"." - No way, I'm not familiar with any band who makes songs like that, are you?

Because no one ever wrote songs that can be sung to the rafters before U2?

Seriously dude. It's not as if U2 invented this shit.

Well, I guess it's hard to say whether the whole "Coldplay is the next U2" idea is even held by the band, or if its just being circulated by the media, critics, etc.

But either way, I really think its stupid to act like there can be (or try to be) a "next U2" -- mostly because U2's innovation, originality, and integrity is a big part of what makes them so incredibly special. If you try to copy that, you're just copying an empty sound or style, and you'll never have the kind of band spirit and presence that the original has. There's nothing wrong with wanting to work with Brian Eno after hearing his work with U2 (after all, U2 wanted to work with Brian after hearing his work with Bowie) or whatever, but each band coming through ultimately needs to follow their own truth to be a great band. The Greats have always been originals in some way.

U2 is a very original band. No, they didnt invent the anthemic sounds and themes of death and resurrection, but their way of portraying it through their music is completely and utterly unique. Go back and read the critics from 1980 after Boy came out, they were all talking about how the influences from other classic rock/punk and post punk acts are there, yet the sound is unique and very distinct. Edge's ringing guitar, Bono's vocals and early stage presence, Larry's militaristic, pulsating drums, etc. The reason U2 stood out from other bands of the era was precisely because they were innovative. They were not easily placed into punk rock, classic rock, new wave categories. They just did rock, their own unique kind.

As for Coldplay, Martin can say and do whatever he wants to try and copy U2, that will not make them anymore U2 or their heirs to the throne so to speak. Coldplay, so far, has merely shown that they can TRY to imitate the sound from ATYCLB and to a much lesser extent, HTDAAB. That is it. Alot of my friends here at college try and tell me how similar Coldplay and U2 are, and they always get this as a response: Have you ever listened to U2's 1st 3 albums? I then proceed to show them youtube videos from red rocks(twilight, an cat dubh, electric co, 11tick tock, out of control) and ask them if they have ever heard Coldplay sound like that. I then go on to discuss UF and JT and ask them if they think coldplay could do anthemic rock like Pride and Streets and IGC, reach the intensity of wire, exit and bullet, capture feeling like unforgettable fire, Still havent found or WOWY? Moving on to rattle and hum, can coldplay do something as beautiful as Heartland, as good as hawkmoon, God Part II or Desire, etc. Zoo TV DVD from Sydney time. Have you ever heard coldplay sound like that, even remotely?(highlights-dirty day, EBTRRT, The Fly, Lemon, Love is blindness w/ edge solo) I could go on. But then I usually just ask them if Coldplay has been around for 32 yrs, sold 170 million albums, won 22 grammys or been the preeminent live act for 25 years and possibly the best live band ever? Do they do 22 songs night after night on their tours, or have they sold out arenas and stadiums for 25 yrs? NO, to all of these. The best Coldplay can hope for is to try and imitate the sound from ATYCLB. Then again, most of my friends listen to DMB, so what the hell do they know? Seriously, I am so sick of hearing of this Coldplay-U2 shit. Its almost like everyone my age has forgotten how long U2 has been around. I met one nice, intelligent and gorgeous girl back in September who knew the score, so to speak, knew that U2 were beyond celebrities, were spectacular, unique and inspirational and in no way comparable to coldplay or snow patrol or keane or whoever. We became instant 'U2 friends,' worked together on alot of school stuff and in February, we had our first date at U23D! Can Coldplay start instant bonds that lead to great relationships? Verdict not yet in, but I would say no.

Re: Re: "People are fed up with us and so are we"

Diemen said:
Just because I'm bored I'm going to take your post sort of seriously.

Yeah, why the hell would a band want to work with a renowned record producer who has a history of turning out great stuff?

Or it could be that they realized that if they keep turning out the same sounding stuff, they're going to fade into obscurity in no time.

Again, it seems like a no brainer to choose a producer who has a history of working on successful albums. Especially if you admire the band he worked with.

Because no one before U2 ever wrote about death and resurrection?

Because no one ever wrote uplifting anthemic songs before U2?

Because no one ever wrote songs that can be sung to the rafters before U2?

Seriously dude. It's not as if U2 invented this shit.

I can understand why you repliyed like that. But... aren't these too much coincidences... coming from a band which leader admited in the past they his band had U2 posters in the studio while recording, that they had the irish guys as a role model and... that "A Spell a Rebel Yell" has some (strange?) similarities with "Mothers Of The Disappeared"?

Re: Re: Re: "People are fed up with us and so are we"

Aygo said:

"A Spell a Rebel Yell" has some (strange?) similarities with "Mothers Of The Disappeared"?

you're basing that on a 30 second clip

I'll wait to hear the full song to make a judgment :tongue:

I'm in the same mailing list and had the same reaction. There are an awful lot of coincidences. For instance, U2 had Anton Corbijn direct the video "New Year's Day," from their third album. Coldplay had Anton Corbijn direct the video for "Talk," from their third album. U2 had Eno/Lanois produce their fourth album; Coldplay is having Eno/Lanois produce their fourth album (or is it just one of them?). Chris Martin appears to have some kind of Big Book of Bono Quotes; he also imitated Bono's going-into-the-crowd routine when Coldplay performed at the Grammies a couple of years ago. Now Coldplay is trying to add some Christian themes into their music (according to the author of the article). That's a lot of "coincidences"! I think they're a good band and all, but such blatent imitation is pathetic, even though it seems to be working well for them (not surprisingly).

Frankly, I'm surprised so many of you are standing up for Coldplay.

Last edited:
Rachel D. said:
I'm in the same mailing list and had the same reaction. There are an awful lot of coincidences. For instance, U2 had Anton Corbijn direct the video "New Year's Day," from their third album. Coldplay had Anton Corbijn direct the video for "Talk," from their third album. U2 had Eno/Lanois produce their fourth album; Coldplay is having Eno/Lanois produce their fourth album (or is it just one of them?). Chris Martin appears to have some kind of Big Book of Bono Quotes; he also imitated Bono's going-into-the-crowd routine when Coldplay performed at the Grammies a couple of years ago. Now Coldplay is trying to add some Christian themes into their music (according to the author of the article). That's a lot of "coincidences"! I think they're a good band and all, but such blatent imitation is pathetic, even though it seems to be working well for them (not surprisingly).

well that's what I mean- I am slightly annoyed, but I understand why they are doing this...it makes sense...I doubt the majority of the public fanbase would know such details and coincidences though, this correlation would unfortunately get lost in the big scheme of things it seems :tsk:

Frankly, if these similarities continue to surface and a blatant imitation of each and every move can be seen, I can't help but lose a little respect for Coldplay...:shrug:

I will say I was more then a little surprised when I heard the new Coldplay single and Chris uses the lyric
"When the banks became cathedrals " .
Maybe its just me and this line orginated before Playboy Mansion's " The banks feel like cathedrals" but man that is weak and I am a huge Coldplay fan.

zoo99 said:
I will say I was more then a little surprised when I heard the new Coldplay single and Chris uses the lyric
"When the banks became cathedrals " .
Maybe its just me and this line orginated before Playboy Mansion's " The banks feel like cathedrals" but man that is weak and I am a huge Coldplay fan.

really? that pisses me off...

I totally don't understand why anyone is all bent out of shape about anything involving Coldplay. :huh:

I mean, really???

Rachel D. said:

your entire post :|

corianderstem said:
I totally don't understand why anyone is all bent out of shape about anything involving Coldplay. :huh:

I mean, really???

I could see the irritation if U2 was some small band that wasn't very successful commercially and didn't get all sorts of awards and acclaim and then Coldplay came along and did the whole U2 thing and was fawned over and became hugely successful while U2 continued to struggle. Then I could see why U2 fans might be irritated. But now? Sure Coldplay is successful, but they are nowhere near as successful in any category as U2. So I just can't see the problem. After all, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. :)

Back
Top Bottom