Pauatahanui, New Zealand Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why people differentiate "Fez" and "Being Born". It's not called Fez/Being Born, you know? It's one song. It just has a dumb bit at the start is all.

Also, NLOTH II deserves to be on that list as well.

The more I listen to it, the higher up this album goes on my 'U2 list of albums of all time'. It's hovering between #1 and #3 at the moment, which is kind of scary.

I put it as 12th track on the album. It really rocks as a closer, after Cedars, so calm, ends abrubtly, it's just the final kick before it ends. Kinda like how when someone dies of a stroke suddenly breathes after they already died.

I'm scared how much I'm liking this album aswell. But what bothers me more is that I feel none of the OMFGNEWU2WTFBBQ hyperness, and haven't felt it either. I expected that to happen friday, but it didn't. Have I become that cynical?

Oh when I say Fez, I'm referring to both.

I don't think of them separately. They aren't sufficiently distinct parts like in a prog rock song. If U2 hadn't actually signalled anything about them being distinct, I wouldn't have taken it that way.

At the moment, I rate NLOTH in U2's albums:

1. UF
2. JT
3. Passengers
4. Boy
5. October
6. NLOTH
7. Pop
8. Zooropa
9. War
10. Achtung
11. RAH
12. HTDAAB
13,000,000. ATYCLB

Might bump it past October too.

I don't understand why people differentiate "Fez" and "Being Born". It's not called Fez/Being Born, you know? It's one song. It just has a dumb bit at the start is all.

Because it were two tracks originally, mashed together because of some dodgy reason.
Fez is the weird intro bit, Being born is the rest of the song.

I don't outright dislike Boots, but it's only the final third that I really enjoy, and it feels so out of place after Crazy Tonight that I instinctively skip it anyway. Putting Breathe between the two helps.

I haven't tried any alternative order so far... I'll give this a try tonight, as I agree that the Crazy Tonight - Boots transition is not good. I don't really thing that Boots fits on the album at all, I would prefer a shorter album without it.

See you, Danny! :wave:

I think they will go for the No Line On The Horizon Alternative take for the Live Version.....Just a hunch.

I think the live version will bridge the gap between the two. The more rocked up style of NLOTH II, but with the musical substance of NLOTH I.

I don't think of them separately. They aren't sufficiently distinct parts like in a prog rock song. If U2 hadn't actually signalled anything about them being distinct, I wouldn't have taken it that way.

At the moment, I rate NLOTH in U2's albums:

1. UF
2. JT
3. Passengers
4. Boy
5. October
6. NLOTH
7. Pop
8. Zooropa
9. War
10. Achtung
11. RAH
12. HTDAAB
13,000,000. ATYCLB

Might bump it past October too.

My list is similar to yours, except I have JT lower, and War a lot higher, and RAH above Achtung, and Passengers lower, and Zooropa higher, and I probably won't be putting NLOTH above October.

I don't outright dislike Boots, but it's only the final third that I really enjoy, and it feels so out of place after Crazy Tonight that I instinctively skip it anyway. Putting Breathe between the two helps.

Boots kinda fits after NLOTH1 oddly enough, I have the album on shuffle and had that tomorrow, the transition was decent.

Ok, since we are doing this:

1. UF
2. JT
---
3. Boy
4. NLOTH
5. Passengers
6. Zooropa
7. AB
8. Pop
9. October
10. War
---
11. R&H
12. HTDAAB
---
---
13. ATYCLB

Edit: I should say that 6-9 are essentially a tie for me.

I don't like the fast talky verses in Boots. Really reminds me a lot of Vertigo. In fact, the songs aren't as different as I originally perceived them to be, even if I like Boots more. But shit, not by much. What the fuck does the Let Me In The Sound bit even have to do with the rest of the song, other than to exist solely to have a forced attempt to make the album more cohesive by including a cut of it at the beginning of the best track?

My list is similar to yours, except I have JT lower, and War a lot higher, and RAH above Achtung, and Passengers lower, and Zooropa higher, and I probably won't be putting NLOTH above October.

I swapped RAH and Achtung because RAH just ... isn't really an album in my view. Total mess. The songs are undeniably better, but I think it's even less cohesive than some cassette a kid recorded of his favourite songs on the radio.

Ok, since we are doing this:

1. UF
2. JT
---
3. Boy
4. NLOTH
5. Passengers
6. Zooropa
7. AB
8. Pop
9. October
10. War
---
11. R&H
12. HTDAAB
---
---
13. ATYCLB

Edit: I should say that 6-9 are essentially a tie for me.

Bloody hell our taste really is pretty similar, isn't it?

I've been playing this non-stop in the car and I can't get over how well it flows. The songs are all in the right order. Except for Boots which I skip every second run through.

It just brings back that 80s U2 feel that I've certainly missed. Eno deserves a medal for this album. :love:

Errr... I have the feeling I'll be hated by everyone here after this:

1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
3. NLOTH
4. tuf
5. Pop
6. October
7. War
8. Zooropa
9. Boy
10. R&H
11. HTDAAB
12. ATYCLB

I swapped RAH and Achtung because RAH just ... isn't really an album in my view. Total mess. The songs are undeniably better, but I think it's even less cohesive than some cassette a kid recorded of his favourite songs on the radio.

Yeah, true. But it doesn't have One and So Cruel on it.

I don't like the fast talky verses in Boots. Really reminds me a lot of Vertigo. In fact, the songs aren't as different as I originally perceived them to be, even if I like Boots more. But shit, not by much. What the fuck does the Let Me In The Sound bit even have to do with the rest of the song, other than to exist solely to have a forced attempt to make the album more cohesive by including a cut of it at the beginning of the best track?

Gives Larry an opportunity to feel like he is a real RAWK SINGAR for once.

lol @ this place being dominated by Aussies.

1. Achtung
2. Joshua
---
3. Unforgettable Fire (NLOTH hanging around here at the moment
4. PoP
---
5. October
6. Boy
7. Zooropa
8. ATYCLB
9. HTDAAB
10. War
---
---
---
11. Rattle And Hum

I've been playing this non-stop in the car and I can't get over how well it flows. The songs are all in the right order. Except for Boots which I skip every second run through.

It just brings back that 80s U2 feel that I've certainly missed. Eno deserves a medal for this album. :love:

x2!

Yeah, true. But it doesn't have One and So Cruel on it.

But it DOES have Love Rescue Me.

And then the man, he steps right up to the microphone
And says at last just as the time bell rings
Thank you, goodnight, now its time to go home
And he makes it fast with one more thing:
We are the sultans of swing...

:dance:

Errr... I have the feeling I'll be hated by everyone here after this:

1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
3. NLOTH
4. tuf
5. Pop
6. October
7. War
8. Zooropa
9. Boy
10. R&H
11. HTDAAB
12. ATYCLB

It's freaky how similar our lists are. I'd just swap Pop and tuf, put October last and that's it. :hi5:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom