pain, hurt, sorrow songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bicyclingfish

The Fly
Bono has written his fair share of songs that are downbeat, for sure. What do you think the best example of this writing is?

I think Wake Up Dead Man is by far his most trodden upon, hurt, messed-up song. By far.

hummm, this is certianly a tough call. i've heard bono say on many occasions that he can't stand mushy love songs, thus he's incapable of writing an upbeat love song from begining to end. i'd have to say it's a tie between;

so cruel: just read the lyrics. it's from achtung baby, which bono admitted that a lot of the lyrics were inspired by watching edge go through his divorce. the lyrics are extremely bitter. this is the song you dedicate to your ex. LOL

WOWY: the title alone is bitter. what worse of a feeling could there possibly be to believe that you can't live happily with someone, or happily without them? the lyrics are also very bitter and almost vengeful.

those are the two best IMO. it's ironic that WOWY is loved by so many women. i really doubt that those who consider it a love song have really listened to the lyrics. i always have a hard time explaining to them that there aren't really any good U2 songs to dedicate. most of them are true stories and tend to look on the darker side of relationships.

------------------
"I hear Bill Clinton was out seeking foreign policy advice from the rock group U2. You may not know this, but they try to call me every night at the white house...when it comes down to it, I'll be meeting with Boris Yeltsin and John Major. Bill Clinton can stick with boy george." -George Bush Sr. (beware, THERE IS A JR.!)

"We're an Irish band. WE come from Dublin City, Ireland. Like every city, it has it's good and it has it's Bad. This is a song called Bad." -Bono, right before U2 took over Live Aid

"So Cruel", "WOWY", and "Wake Up Dead Man" are all excellent choices. To that list I would add "Babyface" since the subject is apparently fascinated with a girl on TV, "One" (duh), and "Stateless".

But my favorite "down" song (possibly not the best, but still my choice) isn't even Bono's: "NUMB".

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Until the end of the world

"In my dreams I was drowning my sorrows, but my sorrows they learned to swim"

"I kissed your lips and broke your heart"

Eh, and of course the title.

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

mothers of the disappeared
love is blindness
and of course wake up dead man

notice how they close the albums?
doesnt get much bleaker than wudm tho.

I really like the bridge verse in Please:

'September, streets capsizing, spilling over and down the drains... shards of glass splinter like rain but you could only feel your own pain... October, talks getting nowhere... November, December... remember, are we just starting this again?'

In concert he sounded so pissed, so angry. Not really downtrodden though, just really aggrivated. Damn I love Bono's writing!

------------------
"You tore a hole through space like a dark star falls from grace..."

This is another example of a down-trodden song.

"If God would send his angels"

God has got his phone off the hook, babe
Would he even pick up if he could
It's been a while since we saw that child
Hanging 'round this neighbourhood
You see his mother dealing in a doorway
See Father Christmas with a begging bowl
Jesus sister's eyes are a blister
The High Street never looked so low

------------------
Looking for a sound that's going to drown out the world...

Back
Top Bottom