Origin of "B-man"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
When, how and why did Bono acquire the name "B-man?" I have been a fan since 1983 and I never heard it before joining interference.

I think it was written on his shirt on Popmart. I heard some people say that The Fly was his character on Zoo TV and the B-Man was his character on Popmart (kinda like Superman I think).

TheBrazilianFly said:
I think it was written on his shirt on Popmart. I heard some people say that The Fly was his character on Zoo TV and the B-Man was his character on Popmart (kinda like Superman I think).

Thanks! I was going to guess it had to be Pop or early ATYCLB. I was a big fan from War-ZOOTV, but not much into Pop because I was busy with little kids and didn't like Pop much anyhow. I got really back into them after the Elevation tour started and I kept on seeing him called B-man, and still am, so I thought I'd ask where it came from.

I thought his shirt said "Bono Man".. but anyway...

Aside from literal connections, I find that calling a guy by the first initial of his name attached with "-Man" is quite common in general conversation.. :shrug:

I find that calling a guy by the first initial of his name attached with "-Man" is quite common in general conversation..

Indeed. I've got a brother called Gerard, and we've been calling him "G-Man" for years. Doesn't work for my name, though (Mike)... M-Man doesn't quite sound right! :D

Also, I'd heard the B-Man term for Bono (and used it myself) long before the Popmart tour.

Back
Top Bottom