Opening Acts for the next tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonosloveslave

Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Staff member
Any thoughts on who U2 might pick to open for them next year? Most of their past choices have surprised me (No Doubt), some have severely disappointed me (Smash Mouth, before they were good), and ultimately, I think U2 doesn't need an opening band(s).

But I would guess, for whatever reasons they've had in the past, they will have someone open for them. If they do, who would you like to hear, and/or who do you think they might choose?

I would like to see Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, and I know the boys have talked about liking that band. :up:

it really depends on what kind of tour they decide on... a stadium tour would have major acts who could sell out an arena tour, but aren't quite on the level to headline a stadium tour... maybe a pearl jam or a coldplay etc... an arena tour would have major acts that just aren't quite major enough to sell out a place like madison square garden or the staples center, i.e. black rebel motorcycle club, much like on the elevation tour so it all depends.

N.E.R.D aka The Neptunes would seriously blow the roof off. (if indoors)

Who has an album coming out around the same time? That often has a lot to do with who's touring at the time. Then again, I'm sure most any band would jump at the prospect of opening for U2 (whether they have a new album to promote or not).

I'd much rather see a lesser known or up and coming band in the opening spot.

Personally, I would love to see Jimmy Eat World, just because they're another band I like. Or U2 could open for themselves. That would be quite interesting.

I would love no opening act and an extra hour of U2, but realistically I don't think Bono's voice would hold out for an entire tour of three-hour shows.

I think the White Stripes would be a cool opening act. Doves or Travis would be nice as well. I don't know much about Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, but I hear U2 is really into them, so I think it's likely they could be an opening act on the next tour.

Axver said:
Or U2 could open for themselves. That would be quite interesting.
:yes: Pearl Jam's done it, and it was great! They did a "laid-back set" of acoustic stuff before the opening band as an experiment. Maybe they'll share their results with U2!

I'd love the White Stripes, and depending on their schedule Detroit could get them, no prob. ;)

I think I got lucky last time since both PJ Harvey, Garbage and No Doubt all had albums to promote at that time. I love all three, so I was a happy camper at the shows I went to. Coldplay would be great, too. :yes:

Honestly, though, I'd love for there to be no opening act. :sexywink:

Bono's shades said:

I think the White Stripes would be a cool opening act. Doves or Travis would be nice as well. I don't know much about Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, but I hear U2 is really into them, so I think it's likely they could be an opening act on the next tour.

The Doves yes :yes: White Stripes no :no: IMO :tongue:

Doves would be good. And I'd be ecstatic if PJ Harvey came back. Even though she's better suited for the smaller venues, the thought of my two biggest musical obsessions performing on the same night is just way too delicious! :)

u2popmofo said:
Who has an album coming out around the same time? That often has a lot to do with who's touring at the time. Then again, I'm sure most any band would jump at the prospect of opening for U2 (whether they have a new album to promote or not).

I'd much rather see a lesser known or up and coming band in the opening spot.

Carbon Leaf ... they have an indie album coming out in Jan. or Feb.

bonosloveslave said:
(Smash Mouth, before they were good)
Wait, you mean to tell me that Smash Mouth is or was at some point "good"? So how long have you been a crack addict?

Anyway, I do agree with you that BRMC would be a great opening band.

Back
Top Bottom