One Tree Hill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beautifulday

Babyface
Why is this song so underrated ?
This one of the golden tunes of the album epic album Joshua Tree,and I like this song very much,Bono's poetry at his best,and the Edge's guitar makes you feel the rain drops falling down to ONe Tree Hill,so what do you think about this song ? WHy doesn't U' play it live much ?
ANd what is the best live version of it ?

underrated? It's being regarded as a pretty damn brilliant piece of work as far as I know.
They don't play it live much because it's written for Greg Carrol, a New Zealander. He was part of the U2 crew but died in a motorcycle accident, Bono's bike he was driving back to his house because B drank too much and couldn't do it himself. And thus it's usually only played in New Zealand or sometimes Australia, to keep it special.
For the best live performance I'd reccommend a lovetown performance. :)

THIS IS MY FAVORITE SONG.

EVER.
Sorry for getting excited. :wink:
I can't tell you how often my mind accidentally starts to revolve around this song and story, and then I'm humming it under my breath. Or how many times I harmonize on "We run like a river" when I'm listening to it. I think it is underrated, for such a work of art.
YouTube - U2 - One Tree Hill
I love the impassioned screaming at the end

YouTube - Best ever One Tree Hill - U2, Dublin Point Depot

On fire!

underrated? It's being regarded as a pretty damn brilliant piece of work as far as I know.
They don't play it live much because it's written for Greg Carrol, a New Zealander. He was part of the U2 crew but died in a motorcycle accident, Bono's bike he was driving back to his house because B drank too much and couldn't do it himself. And thus it's usually only played in New Zealand or sometimes Australia, to keep it special.
For the best live performance I'd reccommend a lovetown performance. :)

In all fairness, it's a new poster likely placing judgments more on outsiders opinions and the grand, mainstream of things.

Take a look at Joshua Tree. With or Without You and ISHFWILF, and then of course Streets, are hundreds of times more popular. One Tree Hill definitely got snubbed because of it's three more popular sisters.

In all fairness, it's a new poster likely placing judgments more on outsiders opinions and the grand, mainstream of things.

Take a look at Joshua Tree. With or Without You and ISHFWILF, and then of course Streets, are hundreds of times more popular. One Tree Hill definitely got snubbed because of it's three more popular sisters.

Hence my rather large post explaining things :)

They don't play it live much because it's written for Greg Carrol, a New Zealander. He was part of the U2 crew but died in a motorcycle accident, Bono's bike he was driving back to his house because B drank too much and couldn't do it himself.

Did you get this story from any written source?
I'm just curious because I doesn't make sense with some things I've heard about it and I would like to read the story from the most reliable source, but don't worry if you don't remember where you picked it from, it isn't anything important.

I thought it was fairly common "U2 knowledge" that Carroll died in an accident while riding Bono's bike, but I'd never heard other details about the circumstances.

I'm just curious because I doesn't make sense with some things I've heard about it and I would like to read the story from the most reliable source, but don't worry if you don't remember where you picked it from, it isn't anything important.

It must've been in one of the books I think. But that could be U2 by U2, Killing Bono, U2 at the end of the world, or a variety of random books. I'm sorry I really remember facts well but I suck at remembering the source. I'll try to find it online somewhere.

http://www.u2faqs.com/songs/#10

There's one part of the story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Tree_Hill_(song)
Wikipedia has it too, but no citation.

http://books.google.nl/books?id=LCc...HAQ6AEwDQ#v=onepage&q=greg carroll u2&f=false
There it is! It was Into The Heart! It still lacks some info though. I don't remember where I read that. But it was some interview ish thing.

galeongirl pretty much covered the story as it was, although the only part that may or may not be in the dark is why bono wasn't riding the bike himself.

Thank you Galeongirl, coolian and corianderstem,
don't worry about this, as I told you it is not very important. Of course I've known that Carroll died riding Bono's bike for many years, it's only that recently someone who is supposedly well informed told me completely different details about why he was riding it and I just wanted to know if I could check his story or ours anywhere.

According to this person Bono had been working in the studio all night and had to catch a plane to US, so he had no time to get the bike back home, he took the plane and when he arrived in US he was informed that Carroll had died, he didn't even get out of the airport, he took a plane back to Dublin. I told him that I had heard it was because Bono was drunk and he told me that at that time Bono was in a religious group and didn't drink.

Galeongirl, I'll check all the readings you've mentioned, thank you so much!

:lol: Bono had a period where he did NOT drink? I've never heard of that before. I'd love to hear your friend's source of that.

He's Irish above all. :wink:

Besides, the religious group would likely be Salome, and Bono/Edge broke with them in.. I think 81? Around the making of October...

:lol: Bono had a period where he did NOT drink? I've never heard of that before. I'd love to hear your friend's source of that.

He's Irish above all. :wink:

Besides, the religious group would likely be Salome, and Bono/Edge broke with them in.. I think 81? Around the making of October...

Shalom, was the name of the group.

Salome is a U2 song and name of Achtung Baby bootlegs. :D :up:

They play it occasionally on one of the local stations where I live, which I think says a lot about what people think of it since it was never a single. Favorite version of it live is from one of the Dublin concerts they played at the end of 1989. I never did figure out which one it belonged to, though I might try to find that out eventually.

Back
Top Bottom