One Tree Hill is the best song ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my 2 cents...
one tree hill is amazing, on every level that a rock song can be. beautiful images in the lyrics, fantastic melody, hypnotic rhythm, lead instruments playing irresistable hooks. it's got all the goods.
joshua tree side 2 is one of the best side 2s of all time by anybody anywhere at any time. the first side is a no-brainer...all the singles are there (and should be).

but that side 2 is mesmerizing. any song could have been a single, and, for me at least (and apparently axver) 'one tree hill' is the crowning jewel. the live performances i've heard only seem to up the ante. if you don't 'get' it, i'm sorry for you. hopefully something hits you the way this tune hits me. top song, and i would argue it's u2 in their very best form.

their best tune?...
hell fucking yes.

Live its great but the production on the album is I dunno... sparse? Bono's vocals are way back in the mix and Edge's solo isnt as breathtaking as it is live. It just feels kinda lightweight I suppose. The Lyrics are top notch either way though.

One tree hill sits comfortably in position 2 on my U2 top 10 of all time.

1. Bad
2. One Tree Hill
3. Be there
4. WTSHNN
5. Rejoice
6. Mercy
7. Elvis Presley and America
8. Kite
9. Like a Song
10. Zoo Station

One Tree Hill is great...I wish they played it more.

The OOTS said:
Fantastic song!

What ever happened to the poet who wrote those lyrics??:(

Exactly what I want to know. I'm all for being direct, but the lyrics to One Tree Hill perfect. That particular Bono is long gone now.

yeah, the lyrics are the best part of this song. musically i cannot see that its that interesting.

it;s a good song, but i dont think that its so good that id stop going to u2 concerts after seeing it performed

One Tree Hill, great song, especially when played live full band.

However, its not even close to my favorite on the Joshua Tree album alone. Like the song, but nowhere near U2's greatest song to me.

There's nothing more delicious than a song's evocative lyrics matching up with equally evocative music. OTH has that elusive quality.

Not "the best song ever" *cough*

But easily one of U2's best.

Reading again most of replays to Axver post coming to opinion that people just want to argue with somebody, no matter why.

If he wrote that ONE TREE HILL is great song thats it. Give some respect to others people opinion.

And for me OTH is of the best U2 song ever :drool: .

Live or album version - i dont mind!

definately one of my all time faves! I was thrilled to read that they played it live...too bad I wasn't there, lol!

Axver said:

Hooray for those of us whose last U2 show will probably be 25 November 2005, for the last song we will ever hear U2 play live is One Tree Hill. I wouldn't have it any other way.

*waits for Axver posts on U2's 2008/2009 tour

It's maybe top 15-20 for me. A definite highlight on one of the 80's best albums.

Best U2 song, however? No. No. No. No. No.

angelordevil said:
There's nothing more delicious than a song's evocative lyrics matching up with equally evocative music. OTH has that elusive quality.

Not "the best song ever" *cough*

But easily one of U2's best.

My thoughts too.

I really wanted OTH to come back into the live scene. A little bit for Axver's sake, but mostly because I'd like to see more of the seemingly forgotten material to reappear.

This is a REALLY REALLY good song. One for me that tends to go on 'repeat track' . But IMO there's something missing to make it great. I can't put my finger on it.

I have to wonder how different this thread would be had I just dropped the "Tree Hill". :|

Axver said:
I have to wonder how different this thread would be had I just dropped the "Tree Hill". :|

If you think it's their best song, you need to shove it down people throats more.

And curse a blue streak while you do it.

It's a great tune.

Axver said:

Hehehehe great reply

Hmm, what if I were to say Mysterious Ways is U2's best song ever? In the past I have thought so...

Now I cannot pick a best / favourite anymore...

Back
Top Bottom