Once upon a time....10 years ago today...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popbellydancer

Refugee
...in a place called Tampa Stadium....in a time called Popmart....in a state of mind called U2.

I was a 17-year-old girl who had a dream. That dream was to meet, and bellydance for, my favourite band in the entire world...U2. On November 10th, 1997 I made my dream a reality...with a little help from Bono! It was the best day of my young life....and to be honest (not to mention a bit sad) nothing else has come close, or probably ever will. To my non-U2-fanatic friends that statement would seem a tad melodramatic. To anyone on here...well, I don't have to explain...you understand.

All I can say is I think I've somehow lost my way over the past decade. I used to dream of something and it would happen. I made it happen. I think I need to find whatever that young girl knew....because in the end, I think I knew much more then, than I do now.

So ...here's to youth, here's to love, here's to music, here's to being surrounded by 40,000 fans and feeling like you're the only person in that stadium, here's to lost dreams, fulfilled dreams, new dreams, old dreams, and of course...Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam.

And here's to dreaming out loud! :dance: :dance: :dance:

PS Thanks for reading my sentimental nostalgia....not sure if I should've posted here, but hey, figured if anyone would understand it'd be you ladies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDngQi51GJA

Last edited:
WOW- What a fantastic dream to come true. and your words are so bittersweet. Life is really hard sometimes. It seems true,
"The more you see the less you know
The less you find out as you go
I knew much more than I do now"

But keep your ideals-and remember how you felt those years.
As you get older, and you are still SO young- you must filter out the garbage, and stay true to yourself. There are many things that are so out of our control, and sometimes things do not end up the way you wanted them to. But if you keep clear what is important to you, and be flexible, you can be happy. it is hard work, but you can do it. (Feeling qutie sentimental myself, with this time of the year approaching, and a few glasses of wine consumed!)
Very best wishes and stop in more often- we so understand this common thread of U2 in our veins. Not a day goes by without some of it circulating through our hearts and minds!

popbellydancer said:
...in a place called Tampa Stadium....in a time called Popmart....in a state of mind called U2.

I was a 17-year-old girl who had a dream. That dream was to meet, and bellydance for, my favourite band in the entire world...U2. On November 10th, 1997 I made my dream a reality...with a little help from Bono! It was the best day of my young life....and to be honest (not to mention a bit sad) nothing else has come close, or probably ever will. To my non-U2-fanatic friends that statement would seem a tad melodramatic. To anyone on here...well, I don't have to explain...you understand.

All I can say is I think I've somehow lost my way over the past decade. I used to dream of something and it would happen. I made it happen. I think I need to find whatever that young girl knew....because in the end, I think I knew much more then, than I do now.

So ...here's to youth, here's to love, here's to music, here's to being surrounded by 40,000 fans and feeling like you're the only person in that stadium, here's to lost dreams, fulfilled dreams, new dreams, old dreams, and of course...Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam.

And here's to dreaming out loud! :dance: :dance: :dance:

PS Thanks for reading my sentimental nostalgia....not sure if I should've posted here, but hey, figured if anyone would understand it'd be you ladies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDngQi51GJA

Congrats !!! Happy bellydance aniversary :hug:

Don´t worry a new dream will come! and at least you had a big dream and came true! you can´t be sad about it! :hug: I kind of understand you

thank you for all of your kind words and thoughts....they really made me feel good! :hug:

you see i do have a dream, one i had even before dancing for them...to be a working actress. not a star, not to be chased by paparazzi, or be on reality tv...but to act. i moved from virginia to LA 3 years ago to make that happen, and i know the road is rough and long and paved with heartache and rejection...however, sometimes it gets really hard. and on this of all days, it seemed i was i even further from my goals than ever. just remembering how easily things came to me back then. so that's where i'm coming from. :sad:

however, thank you all for being so sweet. believe it or not, when it happened i got flamed all over wire, by mean spirited girls. so it means a lot that you were all nice about my post.

mel

ps i know my dancing wasn't technically correct, but i was trying to copy morleigh with the spins and such more than doing undulations and shimmies. all of which i am very well versed at, btw. also, i had a lot on my hands with bono teasing me, and running all over the place! :wink: but, did anyone notice my time spent w/adam?? .... :wink: :drool: :love: :heart: :flirt: :whistle:

Who cares it was a superb performance. I have the dvd of that concert (from a site) and boy U2 was on that night.

Especially during Mysterious ways just listen to Bono's singing at the end it sounds like ZooTV.

I think they should have kept your for the other performances of mysterious ways as well!

:bow: You really showed 'em didn't you! :drool: I've never seen that link before. Your dancing was brilliant and Bono played his part perfectly as usual. :drool: For a moment there I was quite jealous...:drool: (I think he'd laugh and run away if I got onstage w/him...:lol:)

:bono: Edge! Save me!
:edge: You're on yer own, mate! :lol: :lol:

Oh well, I can dream...:flirt:

msdw59 said:
Wasn't this trip down memory lane done last year? I remember seeing this same trip. Am I wrong.

Personally I think this is wonderful and very moving. I got chills watching the video and I have never seen this posted. Not to mention there are hundreds of new members on this site since last year. There is nothing wrong with sharing a story more than once.

popdancer, that is fantastic and you should always treasure that moment that so many only dream of doing.

Don't lock this up, Mel.....keep dreaming for what would life be without our dreams and desires? You have all the right in the world to reminisce and talks about and share this most awe-inspiring experience having danced with Bono onstage. So what, many others have also done so, but YOU own this memory and even have video of it. Be proud of that! DREAM OUT LOUD!!!! :wink: :hug:

Sicy said:

Personally I think this is wonderful and very moving. I got chills watching the video and I have never seen this posted. Not to mention there are hundreds of new members on this site since last year. There is nothing wrong with sharing a story more than once.

popdancer, that is fantastic and you should always treasure that moment that so many only dream of doing.

Yep, I've been a member here almost 6 years and I don't remember this story even if it WAS posted before.

Thanks for sharing!

msdw59 said:
Wasn't this trip down memory lane done last year? I remember seeing this same trip. Am I wrong.

Geez, some people get to jealous....Melissa for you to have that experience is awesome....also it was nice seeing you the other night..)

Liesje said:

Yep, I've been a member here almost 6 years and I don't remember this story even if it WAS posted before.

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you Liesje. I've been a lurker since Popmart, and a member for several years, and have often thought about posting an in depth writing on some of my different experiences in the Band Meetings and Sightings section, but NEVER have. I haven't posted this kind of thread anywhere before.

I wasn't sure whether to post this thread in PLEBA or here, and can see why Sicy moved it. I have definatly stated that I danced on PLEBA when there was the old Vertigo dancing girls thread, and when Mrs Edge got to bellydance during Bad. But I've never gone into details, (and didn't really this time) for two reasons...one being that it would take me a year to write all the different little encounters and stories that I have, and the second reason is because after fulfilling that goal of bellydancing for them, and then being flamed on Wire, I decided to keep my stories to myself for the most part. I'm sensitive, try not to be, but have found it's better to keep my mouth shut than to share what was a wonderful experience...and have it spat on. I've been very touched by how kind you have all been in your responses to this. It means a LOT! :hug:

Anyhoo, maybe at some point I should write up my other stories...or even more on this one. I just can't be short-winded when it comes to Bono...so it could be a problem! :sexywink:

popbellydancer said:

maybe at some point I should write up my other stories...or even more on this one. I just can't be short-winded when it comes to Bono...so it could be a problem! :sexywink:

If some people don't want to know about it, they don't have to read what you write.

Take your time, and when you're ready, I'm all ears!

Last edited:
:wink: YES! I will add my Thank you for sharing that! Wow...you ARE a beautiful dancer and since you Did pull That one off...I am sure your other dreams will become realilty! Just Don't Give Up!!
And NUTS...to the jealouse people!:mad: Do your Thing, Lady! You will find alot of Mature fans here!!:yes: :up: Ps; yes, I laughed watching you dance for Adam..and It looked like for Larry,too! But you just Breezed by Edge! lol! Right...to Bono! I can't hold nothing against That!!:drool: :sexywink: :bono: :heart: Bono love to you!

Last edited:
Sicy said:

I second this sentiment. Great footage.

Back
Top Bottom