Okay, so I am sitting here...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

longingforBono

War Child
kinda drunk (on rum and some Bailey's, which was a gift) , listening to my IPod mini (which was also a gift- did I mention I had a pretty kick ass christmas? Only thing that would have made it better would have been had Bono been sitting under the tree when I got up this AM, but I digress.)

For those of you who bothered to read this far, first I commend you. Second I get to what I came here for. In the book "U2- Into the Heart" - another gifty- the author talks about "Acrobat" NO ULTRAVIOLET IS THE CORRECT SONG!!!!!!!!!!! and the part about half way through the song where Larry drops a drumstick, but they left it in and you can supposedly hear it clear as day. Bullshit you can- I have been listening to that friggin' song all night here and I haven't found it yet! Can anyone, anyone, BUELLER? give me a clue as to where the hell this happens in the song?! I am going nucking futs here.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE BY THE WAY!!!!!!!!!

Love ya all -n - stuff like that

LFB

Last edited:
longingforbono

i feel your pain. for i too long.

actually, sure...i have cravings.

constant cravings.

george

Er, isn't the dropped stick in Ultra Violet, not Acrobat?

I think it's somewhere between the 2:00-3:00 mark. For some reason, 2:15 is ringing a bell. Not really sure though, as I never listen to Ultra Violet.

I know I have heard it quite clearly before.

Bless you, king of all that is U2 fact.

I know I have mentioned my admiration for thy before, but have never been bold enough to SCREAM it.

AXVER RULES. DO NOT FIGHT IT PEOPLE, FOR YOU KNOW IT IS TRUE.

There, I did it.:yes:

(Now, to just find the damn song on the new toy...shit this could take all night)

Hey, now you're just making me blush. :wink:

Especially as I need to make a slight correction. Listen around 3:12-3:15 (not 2:15). You should notice less drums than before and after; this is where Larry drops the stick.

YES!!!!!!!!! Now I know what you mean. Bono sings "light my way" and then before it goes into "I remember when.." the drums are distinctly not as loud as the rest of the song.

You don't actually hear a stick drop, but the difference is obvious. The bass becomes much louder for a moment or two. It is just where you said- about 3:12.

I can't tell you how crazy I was getting over this! Thank you Axver sir.:)

longingforBono said:
YES!!!!!!!!! Now I know what you mean. Bono sings "light my way" and then before it goes into "I remember when.." the drums are distinctly not as loud as the rest of the song.

You don't actually hear a stick drop, but the difference is obvious. The bass becomes much louder for a moment or two. It is just where you said- about 3:12.

I can't tell you how crazy I was getting over this! Thank you Axver sir.:)

Glad to help, and I'm very glad you found it, for the sake of your sanity! :) Yeah, there's definitely a very noticeable difference in the drumming in those few seconds compared to the rest of the song - I honestly wonder why they decided to use that take rather than recording a new one. I suppose it's so minor that most people aren't even aware of it.

First, again I thank you!

As far as why, (if it can be trusted), in the book I originally cited, this is what is says:..."It was about half way through when Larry dropped one of his drumsticks. You could hear it on the track, as clear as daylight. Everyone carried on. Larry got going again and they finished the take. Then someone threw a curve-ball. Maybe we should leave it in. That bit where Larry dropped the drumstick. He wasn't being funny. (does not say who "HE" is by the way)

"Given the choice," Eno would ask later in a piece about Achtung Baby written for Rolling Stone, "how much do you allow a record to exhibit warts-and-all spontaniety and how much do you repair?" Put like that, it sounds like a reasonable question. But when you're the drummer and it was you who dropped the stick- at first, you think maybe they're winding you up. Then you realize they aren't, that they're for real about leaving this stupid little cock-up on the record. What are they trying to do? Make a record that, finally, ruins the band? That insults it's fans? That exposes us all as incompetent? The debate lasts for three hours.(!)

Take it for what it is worth I suppose, but I am having a hell of a lot of fun with this book and the Ipod!

longingforBono said:
First, again I thank you!

As far as why, (if it can be trusted), in the book I originally cited, this is what is says:..."It was about half way through when Larry dropped one of his drumsticks. You could hear it on the track, as clear as daylight. Everyone carried on. Larry got going again and they finished the take. Then someone threw a curve-ball. Maybe we should leave it in. That bit where Larry dropped the drumstick. He wasn't being funny. (does not say who "HE" is by the way)

"Given the choice," Eno would ask later in a piece about Achtung Baby written for Rolling Stone, "how much do you allow a record to exhibit warts-and-all spontaniety and how much do you repair?" Put like that, it sounds like a reasonable question. But when you're the drummer and it was you who dropped the stick- at first, you think maybe they're winding you up. Then you realize they aren't, that they're for real about leaving this stupid little cock-up on the record. What are they trying to do? Make a record that, finally, ruins the band? That insults it's fans? That exposes us all as incompetent? The debate lasts for three hours.(!)

Take it for what it is worth I suppose, but I am having a hell of a lot of fun with this book and the Ipod!

Thanks for the quote! Ha, a three hour debate?! It would've taken them much less time to just do one more take! Now there's a debate I wish I could have heard.

timothius said:
The "debate" was actually quiet a let down, it merely featured a 3 hour Bono monologue aimed at convincing fellow members to join the Retake Campaign.

How many times did he mention Africa? :hyper:

going to listen to song now, but they coould easily do a punch in- punch out or a over dub to fix it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom