OK, who can reccomend where to start with Jeff Buckley's music?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
People here keep mentioning him... so i'm curious.

BTW: any info on him whatsoever would also be nice, as i don't have a clue who he was - he's deceased, right?

Last edited:
I do believe he has one official studio album called "Grace." It's fantastic. I would begin there.

Maybe i even know his voice (i might have heard it someday) - what are his most well known songs?

Dont do it.

:huh:
juul_zingt.gif
:huh:

Jeff Buckley was an absolutely brilliant, talented singer-songwriter who died in 1997 at the age of 29 (I think) by drowning in the Memphis River. You should definitely start with Grace, and the Live from Sin-e EP if you can find it.

Everyone on the planet should listen to Jeff Buckley.

Re: Dont do it.

Sicy said:

I'm going to have to agree with Sicy on this one. I think Buckley really 'overuses' his much-lauded singing talent. One gets the feeling that his singing is over-emotional to compensate for lacking elements of his music...At least, that's my view. I'm not saying he's terrible, but I've always viewed him as a very average singer/songwriter elevated far too high due to his mysterious (and tragic) death.

If you want some really terrific music, try his father Tim Buckley. He made some great albums, such as his self-titled record and Starsailor (much better in this incarnation than it's modern-day namesake!)

Last edited:
Start anywhere... just start!

Yeah, I cannot comment on the live disc that came out recently, but there is great material on both Grace and the (posthumous) Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk. The second one seems to have been not quite approved by the band and/or family of Buckley. I can't really comment on that, but if anything the rough cuts on Disc 2 (it's a 2-disc release) are the more interesting. 'I know we could be so happy baby (if we wanted to be)' would sit happily in my top ten any day of the week.

As for Grace, well the high point imo would be his cover of Hallelujah.

As for him 'overusing' his talent, well I can only say I disagree, mostly. I realise there is this myth-making tendency given his early death and all, but I'd like to think that for myself at least, it's not really the reason I listen to his music. Especially since the impression I always had was his death was an accident pure and simple. Shit happens, but I don't view him through some sort of tortured-genius prism.

Of course he should (hopefully would) have grown as a songwriter, but it's a moot point now, innit?

This is not Celine Dion we are talking about. I am not a fan of vocal technique for its own sake either, but honestly I've never felt that particular vibe in Jeff Buckley's music.

Must admit I know naught about father Tim. Any particular record I should start with?

Back
Top Bottom