Ok NOW I understand Ian Mcculloch's antipathy towards U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asr

Acrobat
It was never jealousy on his part per say in my opinion but rather, unlike most U2 haters, there are actually valid points. Not that I necessarily agree with them 100%. I also find what guitarist Will Sergeant told a CBS interviewer back in the early 80's to be ballsy and admirable. I wish there was footage of that:

Echo and the Bunnymen's Ian McCulloch lets rip - Independent.ie

"valid points"?
All I hear is a little boy crying because the world doesn't work the way he wants it to and bemoaning the fact you actually have to work to achieve something instead of your self-proclaimed 'genius' being enough.

His argument seems to basically be "U2 worked harder than us, so fuck them." He's also weirdly obsessed with talking about a band he claims to despise. Every time I see an interview with him he's talking about hating Bono.

Seems like the empty bluster of a grumpy middle aged man who's having trouble coming to terms with what could have been.

Lips Like Sugar is a solid tune though.

"I've always thought he was a c***," offers the singer. "A real proper one. Had he been in Liverpool, he would have been laughed out of the place. U2 have never been liked in Liverpool. We know a fake when we see one."

That's some brilliant argumentation.

oh, boo hoo, bending over backwards to break in America....

.... "only" The Birthplace of the streams of music that would mix and become Rock & Roll!
oh that's all..... :rolleyes: (at Ian McC)

Yeah, I know some of my Euro friends get upset with how much time U2 has spent in America...
I can get that .

But it is a big country and had a fair amount extra spending money till fooking "W" and other uber-greedheads went and dived bombed our economy in '08. :angry::angry:

As an American I'm glad U2 spend a lot of time over here!
Well, I'm a nyc'r so a few people don't consider us exactly " 'Merican " . Altho unfortunately by the horrific event for us <and all the other tri-staters, other USA'rs and international's> 9-11 did reduce the number NYC haters.
So I am also lucky to be in one of the most famous, great cities in Amerca & the World- where U2 would play even more.

Did you know though-- I was suprised- I was on Axver's site today and got my info through a different internal link route than usual when I caught this --
MSG (Madison Square Garden) is the Arena U2 has played the most gigs at.....
2nd up was an Arena in Austrailia!

Ha I thought it would have been oh Boston, LA ? or Berlin, London, Paris.

Ahh, more material to add to my signature's collection of Ian McCulloch's wisdom.

Yeah, I know some of my Euro friends get upset with how much time U2 has spent in America...
I can get that.
Honestly, I don't even get this logic--the guy likes America. So a lot of people may not, but why the fuck should it matter?
"Oh, U2 don't spend enough time where I think they should, screw them..."

It just sounds so petty and juvenile :rolleyes:

His opinion of U2 and Bono has softened over the years.

Sent from my AT300 using U2 Interference mobile app

I dislike the term, but McCulloch is such a hater. His reasoning for disliking U2 is absurd and it's far more likely that he's simply a jealous little man looking to shit on a more successful contemporary's superior legacy. Meanwhile, his own band is irrelevant as fuck.

He might actually be further up his own ass than Bono is up his. It's close. Apparently, calling The Killing Moon the greatest song ever written wasn't the only idiotic thing he's said over the years.

Last edited:
They're a great band, but they never managed to create their late 80s masterpiece. He left the band for an album or so! Had they gotten their shit together and made their Joshua Tree, their Unforgettable Fire, they could have been as big. The talent was there. Bring on the Dancing Horses, the Killing Moon, Lips Like Sugar, Ocean Rain, The Cutter, etc are GREAT songs, as good as anyone has ever written.

The American Football 'Stuck In a Moment.....' video is one of the very rare examples of why I would be on Team Ian. However, they(U2)made up for the above-mentioned excrement with the UK/Europe version, which in my opinion should have been the definitive video for the US as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emFUtuotHL4

On a related note, my 7 year old was singing this in the car the other day. "first I'm gonna make it, then I'm gonna break it till it falls apart."

I was completely thrown. I KNOW THAT! WHAT IS THAT? Took me several days before I figured it out. I like Echo but seriously listen to a handful of songs maybe once every 6 months in rotation. And that's IF I get around to playing the 80s folder on Spotify.

I think it's just the lyric. It's something that a 7 year old can relate to very easily.

Back
Top Bottom