Official Interference Summer Reading Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dreadsox said:

I will pick it up too. We are two weeks away from a week on Lake Winni something or otherin NH.

The What About Bob Lake I think,

Lake Winnepesaukee (not sure if I spelled that right!)

<---owns What About Bob on video

Pub-- Heart of Darkness is a quick read so read it
anitram -- read atonement last month, its a little too wordy but good

as for me, I just polished off Harry Potter 1-4 in anticipation of the new one, as well as a oral history of Saturday Night Live. Will be reading the new Harry Potter, The Devil Wears Prada and probably Pride and Prejudice. Then maybe another repeat of the orange bible and a book called Stiff -- its about what happens to cavaders and such.

Last edited:
I finished Beloved at the gym today! Yay! It was a really harrowing, disturbing read. Sooooo meticulously detailed and heartbreaking and weird.

I'm not sure what to start next. I'm trying to decide between another Toni Morrison (Song of Solomon), Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones, or Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe.

I've got looooads of books to try and read!

I'm about 1/3 of the way through The Witching Hour by Anne Rice then I'm gonna read, Dracula - Bram Stoker, Complete Short Stories - Oscar Wilde, Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen and then I might try and read LOTR too cos I bought the books months ago and haven't got round to reading them yet! :crazy: Lots of classics to read! eee!
I still need to get round to reading The Beach too! It's gonna be one loooooong summer of reading! :eeklaugh:

Hello,

Yesterday I finished my book (Het Stenen Bruidsbed by Harry Mulisch, don't know the exact title in English). He isn't my favourite writer to begin with, but the book wasn't that expensive, it is a hardback edition (always like those) and it was published in the Library Of The 20th Century series so I thought it should be quite good.
Well, having read it once I didn't understand %#^$ of what the point is of the story. OK, it has to do with an American going to Dresden in 1956, when the city is still in ruins from WWII, and where he's trying to find some answers as he was a pilot in WWII and helped bombing the city to pieces. But for the rest...? The point? The conclusion? Beats me...

So now I really think his works are quite inconsistent. His 'The Assault' (which was turned into an Oscar-winning movie) was quite readable, not too difficult on the surface (although a lot was apparently going on in the background). The same is with his 'Discovery Of Heaven' (except the film didn't win an Oscar). But this book, and some others...

Oh well, on to the next one. That'll be Crosstown Traffic by Charles Shaar Murray. It's his biography of Jimi Hendrix and is regarded as one of Hendrix's best biographies. Hopefully this one is more compelling and interesting than the Mulisch book.

I'll get back here in a couple of weeks, when I've finished it.

Marty (who suddenly realises that he'll receive Harry Potter probably next week...)

edit: OK, I looked up some explanations of the book on the Internet and I now understand it a bit more. It's supposedly like a Greek tragedy, much like the war of Troy. The female character (Hella) is also like the Greek Helen. Both are conquered and once conquered cast aside. Furthermore there is the issue of destruction of the city by the main character and how he handles this fact (or rather, is unable to handle with it).
Still, I've read better books.

Last edited:
After I read Beloved, I decided to go with The Lovely Bones. That was a *really* fast read, especially after Beloved. It was pretty good, I thought, especially for a first novel. A guy reading it might think it was "Oprah"-ish, but I thought it was fairly heavy in enough places to be a little more literary than the average best-seller.

Now I'm reading Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. Anyone else read this one?

bonosgirl84 said:
the rum diary by hunter s. thompson.

Tell me more about Rum Diary...please.

I am reading Tom Robbin's "Invalids Home From Hot Climates"...very slowly. He also has a new book..I am debating if I should wait for it to come out in paperback. Robbins is an intersting read..very funny.

I was at Borders the otehr night...and was thinking I may reread Heller's "Catch 22" again.

I'm currently enjoying every word of 'The Memoirs of Cleopatra' by Margaret George, fabulous historical fiction that takes you far away...

joyfulgirl said:
I get paid to read books. :yes:

Just finished "The Fan-Maker's Inquisition: A Novel of the Marquis de Sade" by Rikki Ducornet.

Halfway through "The Gangster We Are All Looking For" by l? thi diem th?y.

how do you get this wonderful deal?

[ok i read the rest of the thread and learned the answer myself.]

I'm finishing The Once and Future King and want to start Watership Down and two rewrites of favorite stories....Wicked and Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister...

I'm big into fantasy.

Last edited:
just finished "Anna Karenina". Excellent book. I would highly recommend it.

Also wanted to throw in my :up: for The Red Tent. It is a bit sobering (maybe depressing) but I also found it oddly empowering. Growing up in a very Christian home, I always took the way that women's stories were interpretted through a male lens as the "way things really were" but it was interesting to get a closer and more cultural look at an old story.

Next book on my list..."So you wanna join the Peace Corps?" :D Seriously. I'm finding it very handy.

Summer reading is all that's been going on in my journal lately!

I finished Doctor Zhivago before I left--very good book, although I absolutely hated the last chapter. (Whoever did the screenplay for the film, if they didn't get an Oscar they got robbed.)

On vacation, I wiped out Might Magazine's "Shiny Addias Track Suits and the Death of Camp and Other Essays" or whatever the title is and McSweeney's Mammoth Treasury of Thrilling Tales--both of which had good stuff and lousy stuff in them, but I am a sucker for Dave Eggers.

I'm currently re-reading "The Hobbit" but it isn't holding my interest for some reason. :shrug: I have two collections of Chekhov to read next.

I really wanted to read "The Crimson Petal and the White" by Michel Faber. I completely forgot it was on my list. Has anyone read it? Is it any good?

Harry Potter 5 is on my list, but I almost wonder if I'll be able to get to it before Christmas since I'll be third in line for the book, unless I cough up the cash for my own copy. :wink:

How can I ever read it all before school!! :huh:

Last night I finished The Book of Salt by Monique Truong, a story that imagines the life of Gertrude Stein & Alice B. Toklas' gay Vietnamese cook. It's an excellent first novel--very funny and original, a fresh and completely believable voice. :up:

I finished Things Fall Apart today. When I started it, I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but Achebe's voice is very engrossing and keeps leading you deeper into the story. I ended up being very impressed.

Next up was going to be The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing, which I tried to read once before but just couldn't get into. Well, I can't get into it this time, either. So I don't know what to read next.

Tietam Brown
by Mick Foley

from amazon.com
Book Description
A remarkable debut novel?given extraordinary life by its amalgam of energy, raw authentic language, and, at the core, a surprising gentleness.

It is the work of the constantly amazing wrestler-writer Mick Foley, whose two volumes of autobiography, Have a Nice Day! and Foley Is Good, were each number one on the New York Times National Best-seller List.
It tells the story and speaks in the voice?at once innocent and too knowing for his age?of Antietam (Andy) Brown, named for the great-great-great- grandfather who died on that Civil War battlefield. Andy at seventeen is himself the veteran of a violent boyhood, having been locked up in the Northern Virginia Juvenile Detention Center for killing a teenager who attempted to rape him.

Now, after seven years, he is out, free, at a crossroads, trying to make a fresh start, to fit into the life of Conestoga High School in the small upstate New York town to which he has been brought by his father?absent from his life since he was a month old. The man is certainly charismatic. He is also crude, apparently addicted to bodybuilding, beer swilling, and (his own words for his serial womanizing) ?bareback riding.? He has no visible job, no known past.

Associated by the town with his father?s coarseness, hectored by the boorish football coach and the coach?s pack of steroid-pumping teens, feeling himself losing ground, Andy is stunned to discover that the most popular girl in town is attracted to him. Terri, the homecoming queen, the school beauty, every boy?s dream girl, a born-again Christian, a really nice girl. Andy can?t believe it. He is immediately head over heels in love?first love?and determined to protect Terri from everything bad on earth. Worried that his father, even he himself, might contaminate her, and determined for her sake to discover what his father is, Andy begins to delve into the locked rooms and dangerous currents of the elder Tietam Brown?s past and present.
What happens is told in a novel that is appealingly direct, moving, and altogether pleasurable in its superb storytelling and celebration of the human spirit.

About the Author
Mick Foley grew up in East Setauket, New York. He is the author of Foley Is Good: And the Real World Is Faker Than Wrestling and Have a Nice Day!: A Tale of Blood and Sweatsocks, as well as two children?s books. He wrestled professionally for fifteen years and was the three-time WWE champion. Foley lives with his wife and four children on Long Island.

I started reading Enemy Women today, which is (I guess) a Civil War novel by a woman named Paulette Jiles. Anyone familiar with it?

I love reading, I basically go through books as quickly as I do toilet paper since I read so fast. I got out of the habit, or should I say lost my taste for it when I was in college and forced to read so much, but now I've got a decent train ride to and from work so I've been reading up a storm! Plus it helps me relax before sleeping. I particularly like brainless stuff that you can just get lost in and enjoy - but I read pretty much anything. Some of my favorites include :

Getting Over It - Anna Maxted. VERY funny - an alarming number of people have told me I could be the main character.

Circle of Friends - Maeve Binchy. I actually hate the movie because it's so different from the book.

Bag of Bones - Stephen King. A great read if you want something scary but without all the wierdness and gore associated with his other stuff.

Night- Elie Weisel (sp?) - A short autobiography of a holocause survivor.

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt.

Just since so many people have recently mentioned it - I read Lovely Bones not too long ago. A very sad, and moving story. I was actually rather disturbed by it. Expect to be a little depressed for a while.

All time favorite - The Talisman - co-written by Stephen King and Peter Straub. A long but fast moving story about a young boy who has to travel across the country in a parallel world to save his mother's life. Good stuff - the character Wolf is quite possibly one of the most likeable characters I've ever come across in literature. But that's enough out of me right now!

I've been reading Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast trilogy. It was at first a hard book to get into, but the effort paid off because it's simply one of the most truly unique works of fantasy I've ever read. There's no actual magic or fantastical creatures or any other usual accessories of the fantasy genre in the books, but the world they create is completely alien and nightmarish, in which dark humour alternates with scenes of frankly shocking violence. When I read books I'm guilty of skipping descriptive passages in order to get down to the dialogues and plot developments, but Peake's command of English language is so incredible that the book really pays off if you accept the slow pace and just immerse yourself into his vivid, painterly prose and the world populated with characters with names like Barquentine and Prunesquallor.

Last edited:
She ls Raging said:

All time favorite - The Talisman - co-written by Stephen King and Peter Straub. A long but fast moving story about a young boy who has to travel across the country in a parallel world to save his mother's life. Good stuff - the character Wolf is quite possibly one of the most likeable characters I've ever come across in literature. But that's enough out of me right now!

:yes: This book is wonderful. I can still remember how I felt when I finished it, and that was probably over ten years ago. Highly recommended!

just finished chomsky's 9/11 and began coupland's hey nostradamus. all the while reading marlin's the ethics of persuasion, ellul's propaganda and winseck's reconvergence for school related things.

I thought Hey Nostradamus! wouldn't be out until July...

:scratch:

Which reminds me, if it's not out until July in the States, I'm going to pre-order it from Amazon.

amazon is shipping them now. i think july is the canadian release but i...umm...bothered someone for it. i guess i could have just got it from amazon.com but i don't think they ship to canada since amazon.ca set up shop.

hey, pax: coupland is on ottawa for a book signing in september:hyper:

i just read jurgen habermas' the future of human nature. habermas is an ideological hero of mine but id never delved into his more philosophical work.

this was an incredible study of not just the democratic values in a future of genetic technology but also the secularization of society.

its a quick read, just 111 pages but goes to great depths.

I have to read 13 books for high school next year, because I'm going to be in 9th grade, but 10th grade honors English, so in order to stay on the safe side, I'm reading every book on both lists. The 9h grade books are: My Name is Asher Lev,1984,Oliver Twist,The Call of the Wild and Marjorie Morningstar. The 10th grade books are:Into the Wild,The Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Chosen,My Antonia and Cold Mountain. For 10 Honors I have to read: Atlas Shrugged,Cat's Cradle and The Power of Myth. On top of that, I'm reading the Lord of the Rings Trilogy(again),The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales,Ender's Shadow, Speaker For the Dead, and I will read the new Harry Potter when the shipment arrives.

About Atlas Shrugged- The version I have is 1084 pages. I don't mind reading that, but is it supposed to be that long?

Last edited:
U2girl91289 said:

About Atlas Shrugged- The version I have is 1084 pages. I don't mind reading that, but is it supposed to be that long?

The one I read in high school was....it apparently takes her a hundred-page monologue to explain her :coocoo: philosophy.

Back
Top Bottom