Official Cricket 12/13 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Give Siddle the captaincy!

England 4/90 at stumps. Still some batting to come because Finn was sent in as nightwatchman, but very excellent. Ian Bell is 8 from 89.

Absolutely unbelievable finish to a sensational test match in NZ. I ended up streaming the last two overs at work. England lost Root, Bairstow, then Bell, then Broad (6 off 77) and Prior (110 not out) looked like they were going to carry England to a draw before Kane Williamson struck twice in an over to remove Broad and Anderson. Monty nearly got run out, was on strike for the last over, then scampered a single and Prior blocked out the last few. Series ended 0-0. Just shows why test cricket remains by a long, long, long way the best form of the game.

Fuuuuuck I was hoping we'd win the thing. Can't believe England hung on for the draw.

One man has now been arrested in connection with the assault. Fuck, I'm absolutely stunned. Sounds like Ryder's condition hasn't improved today and he's still fighting for his life.

This is a real thing:

chrisgayle_zps6a5b39d7.png

I highly suggest looking at Dave Warner's Twitter. He went on a rant about journos and actually got in an argument with Malcolm Conn. Mind-boggling.

Meanwhile, Trent Copeland killing it in county cricket. I have no issues with Chris Rogers inclusion, however the same logic hasn't been applied to the bowling. Lee and Tait were murdered there, and raw pace doesn't work, you need crafty bowlers. Pattinson and Starc shouldn't play. Bowlers should be Siddle, Copeland, Bird, Faulkner, Lyon.

Copelands last 3 county games:

4/56 off 37 overs, and 63
7/63 off 28.2, 1/41 off 15 and 2*
5/71 off 28.2, 5/42 off 22

He's averaging 55 with the bat for the county season, and has been mostly batting 10 and 11. The guy was born for English conditions, and Australia will struggle if they think Pattinson and Starc will be successful over there.

I think you're underselling Pattinson and Starc a bit, but I take your point. Definitely think Bird should play every test if he can, he's got the technique and temprament for England. Can't argue with Copeland's form - hope the selectors see that.

If we're going to win it all comes down to our batting - we've got a host of quicks we can rotate through if need be, plus Lyon, who I think has been the "best since Warne" along with the Pre-Pubescent Boy Hauritz. But outside of Clarke the batting lineup is brittle at best. Rogers' England form suggests he'll go well, but the rest... geez.

Who do you open with? I say Cowan/Rogers but I am a Cowan apologist, much along the lines of Richard Hinds.

What did you make of Warner's twitter meltdown Dan? Conn goaded him.

Starc and Pattinson aren't as good as Lee/Tait, and the England team is better now than it was then. Pick players that can use the conditions.

Warner needs to grow up - you can't go off like that when you are a public figure. Full stop.

I think Warner should bat 6 in the Ashes - potentially the most talented bat in the team, but will be susceptible to the swinging new ball early. My team would be:

Rogers
Watson (though I hope he fails and someone like Jordan Silk can come in)
Hughes
Clarke
Haddin
Smith (though Warner as Smith isn't in the squad)
Faulkner
Copeland (though not in squad, it will be Starc)
Siddle
Lyon
Bird (though they will pick Pattinson)

I think that 11 can win back the Ashes.

Starc and Pattinson are both already miles better than Tait. Lee, certainly not, but Tait was a complete flop at test level.

Agree that Warner might be susceptible to bowler-friendly conditions.

My team would be:

Cowan
Rogers
Hughes
Clarke
Haddin
Warner
Faulkner
Siddle
Lyon
Pattinson
Bird

Khawaja and Harris the two I'd most like to see come into the side.

You know what's the worst part of Shane Warne being such a toolbag of a person? He's such a fucking good bowler that you have to acknowledge his talent anyway. Goddamn that ball was incredible.

That is massive rip. More so than the Gatting ball, which just seemed to turn a massive amount. I think "alien" is a pretty good description of what happens after the ball pitches.

Back
Top Bottom