October 12, 2009 - New Cowboys Stadium Dallas - Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
alrighty, i remember you and your friend.

especially as it was getting closer to going into the stadium and you two were scarfing down sandwiches and energy drinks.

it sucks that security gave you guys lip. but i think you made the right choice by staying outside on the rail.

after the show, i ran into the two couples that were behind you and one of the women had a horrible time inside the pit....too many people, claustrophic, couldn't see well.

-dan

alrighty, i remember you and your friend.

especially as it was getting closer to going into the stadium and you two were scarfing down sandwiches and energy drinks.

Haha, yes...that was us. We should have made more PB&Js for the rest of the crowd :)

after the show, i ran into the two couples that were behind you and one of the women had a horrible time inside the pit....too many people, claustrophic, couldn't see well.

I heard from them, too. They had asked for my email address earlier in the day, so that I could share my pictures with them. It sounds like the pit definitely could have been handled better, so I hope that your experience wasn't as bad as theirs.

And to the other poster, I thought Muse was great!!

Haha, yes...that was us. We should have made more PB&Js for the rest of the crowd :)

I heard from them, too. They had asked for my email address earlier in the day, so that I could share my pictures with them. It sounds like the pit definitely could have been handled better, so I hope that your experience wasn't as bad as theirs.

And to the other poster, I thought Muse was great!!

can you PM me their e-mail addresses (and send me yours too)?

-dan

Jamador, you must've been RIGHT behind me - I was on the outer rail, center. I have the heart suitcase tattooed in the middle/top of my back and short brown hair.

oh, and love your pics. What kind of camera do you have? What settings did you use?

i was one of the ones that left when that fucknut got the cops to threaten to arrest us. Luckily, once we got out, people started cheering and we got back in.

Jamador, you must've been RIGHT behind me - I was on the outer rail, center. I have the heart suitcase tattooed in the middle/top of my back and short brown hair.

oh, and love your pics. What kind of camera do you have? What settings did you use?

I actually WAS very close to you. I remember seeing your tattoo and thinking that it was a great idea for one :)

The camera that I have is a Canon Powershot S5 IS. It is probably 2-3 years old now, and Canon has since released a newer model of it, the SX10 IS, that has an even longer zoom range. These two cameras are great for using at concerts because they are kind of "in-between" compact digital cameras and dSLRs. The lens is not detachable, so I have never had any trouble getting it into shows, but it is definitely larger than a regular carry-around camera (it won't fit into your pocket). I do have an expensive dSLR, but didn't want to risk bringing it to the concert, and the long zoom lens (12x, and the SX10 has 20x) and smaller size is desirable for these types of situations.

Regarding settings...the main benefit of this camera is the ability to control everything manually, rather than relying on the camera to do all of the decision making for how to get the "best" picture. What the camera thinks often isn't correct in a low-lit situation like a concert. If you have a camera that you can control things like the ISO, aperture, and shutter speed, I would definitely use one of the modes where you can be in charge of those things. For me personally, I stick to the Shutter Speed priority mode (called "Tv" on these Canons). Shutter speed will be the most important thing that you can control at concerts because the overall lighting is pretty dark, your hands can shake while trying to take pictures, and the members of the band are almost always moving. The combination of these three things is what makes many concert photos come out very blurry. In order to properly STOP the movement and capture blur-free images, you really probably can't get away with using a shutter speed of less than 1/60th of a second. Adjust your ISO to the point where that shutter speed produces a good looking picture. I always fiddle with the settings during the opening band, so I can get a feel for how to get the best pictures of the headliner. Most of the pictures that I took during the U2 set were taken in the Shutter Speed priority mode, with a shutter speed ranging from 1/60th-1/125th of a second, and at ISO 400. The one drawback of this particular Canon model is that using any ISO above 400 produces some pretty noisy photos.

And finally...practice, practice, practice! Take tons of photos at the shows, try out different settings/speeds/ISOs, and find what works for each situation. The trouble with cameras and photography is that there is no "be all, end all" solution for taking good photos. Every situation is different, and every camera has its pros and cons, so it just takes a bit of effort to learn what works best for you. Hopefully, this post has made sense :) Let me know if you have any other questions...I'm a bit of a camera nerd! Glad you liked the photos!

Calling all People that were part of the Inner Circle Mess at Cowboys Stadium

If you were the first few hundred people that were effected by the chaos that insued on Monday night in Dallas in the inner circle, as quickly as possible send a fax to 212-765-2372 directed to Paul McGuiness Priciple Management NYC. Make it 1 page, polite, firm, tell what happened and also what you want as compensation. Send copies to the Better Business Bureau, the stadium management, Live Nation and Consumer Affairs in Arlington if not then in Dallas. If everyone does it, it should generate a response.

oh perhaps skip the better business bureau and compensation part and just ask for better communication and co-ordination to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I have to agree.

There was no real harm caused to warrant compensation. Certainly there was some inconvenience and upset, but from what I understand the whole incident was over in 15-20 minutes (if that) and well before the beginning of the show. Some people did end up in different spots, but even then it was only a matter of yards.

If you were the first few hundred people that were effected by the chaos that insued on Monday night in Dallas in the inner circle, as quickly as possible send a fax to 212-765-2372 directed to Paul McGuiness Priciple Management NYC. Make it 1 page, polite, firm, tell what happened and also what you want as compensation. Send copies to the Better Business Bureau, the stadium management, Live Nation and Consumer Affairs in Arlington if not then in Dallas. If everyone does it, it should generate a response.

And here's my long version as to what happened to me...

First I got in line at 6:30am on Monday. I was 129 in line. Everything was running very smoothly until we got into the Inner Circle. No more than two seconds later some security guy came in and started yelling at us saying that if we were wearing a blue band on our wrist that we were to get out. He said only red bands were allowed in the circle. He said it was the (RED) Zone. I and a lot of other people started yelling back at him telling him that he was wrong. He then started to threaten us with jail if we didn't get out of the Inner Circle if we didn't have the red band on. So while I was running back out to the main floor, I was yelling and cursing about we belonged in there. The rest of the event staff/security guys who were standing in the real (RED) ZONE yelled at me, "OH BOO HOO!!!" I yelled right back at him to shut up! By the time I got onto the main floor, all the good rail spots were gone, and now it was 5 people deep, and I said "this is BS!!!" I didn't get to the stadium at 6:30am for nothing. I went immediately back to the entrance to the circle and started raising HOLY HELL! I didn't care who the people were around me, but I started yelling, "The Inner Circle is GA! The RED ZONES are only on the left and right sides! I WANT F***ING U2'S MANAGEMENT OUT HERE RIGHT NOW!!!" Then all of a sudden the Arlington police officer that was head of security that night got up in the ear of one of the event security managers and started yelling like a sergeant (I don't remember most of what he said but he was totally on our side) and then I heard "...you are going to let the people back in here starting with 300...count it down now!...RIGHT NOW!!!" I helped the poor girl who was running the gate open the pen because it was stuck and I wanted to get my spot back bad before I lost it. After running as fast as I could back in I was able to get a rail spot, but now I'm about 10 feet farther than I was. The people on the main floor who were yelling and screaming at the stupid-ass security guard across the circle, all of the sudden let out a huge roar of applause because we made it back in. I thought I was going to cry, but I was so out of breath from running back and forth and yelling and screaming, all I could do was give everyone in the circle high-5's.

Well, I have to disagree with both of y'all. The only way things will ever get done or payed back is by hurting them in their pocket book. If you don't, it will happen again. And too, if you weren't part of it, you have no idea how emotional it was. I almost gave up, but I said no and went back and stood my ground.

Here's how it happened for me...

First I got in line at 6:30am on Monday. I was 129 in line. Everything was running very smoothly until we got into the Inner Circle. No more than two seconds later some security guy came in and started yelling at us saying that if we were wearing a blue band on our wrist that we were to get out. He said only red bands were allowed in the circle. He said it was the (RED) Zone. I and a lot of other people started yelling back at him telling him that he was wrong. He then started to threaten us with jail if we didn't get out of the Inner Circle if we didn't have the red band on. So while I was running back out to the main floor, I was yelling and cursing about we belonged in there. The rest of the event staff/security guys who were standing in the real (RED) ZONE yelled at me, "OH BOO HOO!!!" I yelled right back at him to shut up! By the time I got onto the main floor, all the good rail spots were gone, and now it was 5 people deep, and I said "this is BS!!!" I didn't get to the stadium at 6:30am for nothing. I went immediately back to the entrance to the circle and started raising HOLY HELL! I didn't care who the people were around me, but I started yelling, "The Inner Circle is GA! The RED ZONES are only on the left and right sides! I WANT F***ING U2'S MANAGEMENT OUT HERE RIGHT NOW!!!" Then all of a sudden the Arlington police officer that was head of security that night got up in the ear of one of the event security managers and started yelling like a sergeant (I don't remember most of what he said but he was totally on our side) and then I heard "...you are going to let the people back in here starting with 300...count it down now!...RIGHT NOW!!!" I helped the poor girl who was running the gate open the pen because it was stuck and I wanted to get my spot back bad before I lost it. After running as fast as I could back in I was able to get a rail spot, but now I'm about 10 feet farther than I was. The people on the main floor who were yelling and screaming at the stupid-ass security guard across the circle, all of the sudden let out a huge roar of applause because we made it back in. I thought I was going to cry, but I was so out of breath from running back and forth and yelling and screaming, all I could do was give everyone in the circle high-5's.

I have to agree.

There was no real harm caused to warrant compensation. Certainly there was some inconvenience and upset, but from what I understand the whole incident was over in 15-20 minutes (if that) and well before the beginning of the show. Some people did end up in different spots, but even then it was only a matter of yards.
exactly. it's annoying, but asking for compensation is simply going to make them take the big point more seriously, which is making sure it doesn't happen again.

I wasn't in Dallas, but I'm sorry people had a bad time with GA and being close. It seems every single tour, there are security people that have NO idea what's going on with the heart, oval, circle or Red Zone. I had some Red Zone tickets and for one show and some security had no idea there was a thing called "Red Zone"! How annoying is that? This is something clearly marked on a website advertising the show, yet the security working the show has no idea about it? Take 20 seconds and look at the fricking lay-out of the stadium and GA sections! But I've seen this for the last three tours. It is sad.

Unfortunately, U2's staff can prepare and teach as much as possible, but ultimately, it's the stadium's security team and U2's team can only do so much. In some cases, it's obvious the security are well informed and even fans of U2. In other cases, it's clear that the security staff are hired hands who are cluelss or on some "power trip".

Fortunately, despite some inconveniences, it does seem all worked out well for GA in Dallas. I would advise against asking for compensation, but would try to get U2's staff to once again work hard at training security. Hopefully one of these days, people will learn.

Stadiums contract different companies outside the stadium for major events like these. It was likely that perhaps only one company was misinformed for whatever reason. Anyway, it would be more effective to contact the stadium themselves and politely explain your situation and they might be able to give you the contact information for those companies...or, whoever handles the contract could get in touch with them.

I understand your intentions, but I think it would be easier to cut the middle man and handle this locally. You'd definitely get a quicker response.

Well, I for one, will be sending a fax to the number you gave us. I think the powers that be with the tour should know what happened. It was totally unacceptable. I'm sure if we don't make our voices heard, they'll never know. I'll send it in asap.

You've got to be kidding?! Did you miss out on the concert? Then why would you need compensation?

And will someone please tell me how this is U2's or U2's management' fault? If I'm not mistaken they use local security companies, right? So you yelled at some local guy who was doing it for the first time. Good job :up:

Stadiums contract different companies outside the stadium for major events like these. It was likely that perhaps only one company was misinformed for whatever reason.

And will someone please tell me how this is U2's or U2's management' fault? If I'm not mistaken they use local security companies, right? So you yelled at some local guy who was doing it for the first time. Good job :up:

:koss:

After running as fast as I could back in I was able to get a rail spot, but now I'm about 10 feet farther than I was. The people on the main floor who were yelling and screaming at the stupid-ass security guard across the circle, all of the sudden let out a huge roar of applause because we made it back in. I thought I was going to cry, but I was so out of breath from running back and forth and yelling and screaming, all I could do was give everyone in the circle high-5's.

Not trying to minimize your experience, but from an objective standpoint I think this is where the request for compensation loses footing, because you weren't removed from the venue, which they have every right (morally right or wrong aside) to do, you got back into the circle, and 10 feet isn't even really much more than 2 or 3 people difference, and you saw the show no problem. So asking for compensation in this case sortof makes it harder for the (minority?) of people who perhaps were truly inconvenienced. From what I've read, while it was an unfortunate situation, it was just a hiccup for most and most got back in ok or somewhere very good on the outside as well. So it's not too much different than any of the other crazy things that happen in the heat of the moment/scramble like the 2 gates being opened, security not knowing which ramp to use, all that good stuff. I'm glad it all worked out for you, for sure.

This was my first U2 GA experience, the last time I was behind the stage at the American Airlines Center and it SUCKED. These tickets were cheaper and I was about 6 people deep from the stage, and we got there at 2:00! I had a fiasco getting my tickets but Ticketmaster ended up being very cooperative and even though they told me I couldn't get my tickets until 6:30, the guy at Will Call gave them to me at 2:00.

I was 882nd in line, with my girlfriend and my friend and his girlfriend, and another guy from TCU. We ended up very close like I said, and when the Edge came over us on the bridge, I went NUTS. It was my girlfriend's first U2 experience and she loved it! I recorded a little bit of every song with her digital camera, and barely ran out of battery and memory, so every clip gets a little shorter--meaning Muse clips were longer :huh: but I liked Muse, they rocked..they just don't hold a candle to U2. I've already berated like 4 people I know for saying Muse was better..yuck.

Luckily I must have gotten into the inner circle after the whole security thing happened, I'm sorry for those of you that got kicked out, we probably got your spots :reject: But I absolutely loved every minute of the show and it was one of the best experiences of my life. I had been stale on my U2 loving, but I'm back full swing, listening to all the bootlegs I downloaded years ago and all the albums (over and over and over). Thanks to everyone in the inner circle who went as crazy as me!

YouTube - The Edge during Until the End of the World

that's when the Edge came over us during Until the End of the World, I'll try to find the one where Larry was right behind us with the djembe and upload it

nice video!! i was inner circle, on the rail in front of edge. the sound there was terrible. the vocals were waaaay too loud. couldn't hear anything else clearly.

Hey folks,

Here is a link to my Flickr set of photos from the Dallas show. Hope you like them, and let me know if there are any troubles with the links!

U2 - Dallas, TX - 10/12/09 - a set on Flickr

4012401627_a74a676923.jpg

Sidenote: my friend and I were literally the FIRST people stopped by REX from going into the pit. He actually physically kept us from getting in. I felt like a little kid being told what to do by a mean P.E. teacher. We hurriedly decided to run to the outer rail, where we ended up 2nd row center...not a bad spot, actually. Once the pit opened back up, we probably should have gone inside and tried for the outer edge of the inner circle, but it was just a confusing time, so we stuck it out.

you got some great shots! :applaud:

And here's my long version as to what happened to me...

Your disrespect in the situation is just as bad a response as the people that tried to remove you. Had you responded like a normal person without losing you head instead of shouting and cursing then maybe you have a point.
Overall it was a screwup that should not have happened but did. It was straightened out without people being handcuffed and arrested. Or worse yet missing the show.
Get over it...... The event staff is the problem and I am sure they will be dealt with. The guy that messed with you might get fired. (who will feed his family)? Is that the best out come? Or would a million pounds and life long pit tickets to any u2 show or live nation concert make it all better? Or better yet a suite in stadium in your name.....
just because you decide to wait 12 hours in line to an event doesn't make you a King of the Pit as it sounds like you had a run in with the Pit Bull.....

:hmm:

This..:up:

You've got to be kidding?! Did you miss out on the concert? Then why would you need compensation?

Your disrespect in the situation is just as bad a response as the people that tried to remove you. Had you responded like a normal person without losing you head instead of shouting and cursing then maybe you have a point.
Overall it was a screwup that should not have happened but did. It was straightened out without people being handcuffed and arrested. Or worse yet missing the show.
Get over it...... The event staff is the problem and I am sure they will be dealt with. The guy that messed with you might get fired. (who will feed his family)? Is that the best out come? Or would a million pounds and life long pit tickets to any u2 show or live nation concert make it all better? Or better yet a suite in stadium in your name.....
just because you decide to wait 12 hours in line to an event doesn't make you a King of the Pit as it sounds like you had a run in with the Pit Bull.....

:hmm:

Well said. There is a strange sense of entitlement people have when they think they are the biggest fan. Your ticket was for the floor, no other guarantees no matter how long you stand in line or how many candles you light in Bono's name. This Rex guy sounds like a prick, but remember these guys have really hard jobs at times. After many years of speaking with many of them I know they don't get a lot of info. Most likely about 20 minutes before you got there he walked out and his boss told him to stand in this spot and don't let anybody without an xyz wrist band come in there. He probably wouldn't know tour staff if they slapped him in the face. They don't even let them be on the feild for the sound check in most cases.
Be grateful U2 gives you the chance to be this close to the experience and that you got the experience of a lifetime for a mere $55. They could throw chairs down and charge a lot more!!

Back
Top Bottom