No Line On The Horizon (Alternate Tracklist)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you know, one thing i tried last night is just a very small change. i actually think the album works better if GOYB and SUC switch places.

try it.

Are you kidding me? I completely agree! That was my first idea concerning changes when I first heard the album way back when. Normally I'd just ditch SUC because it's irrelevant thematically, but the album probably needs it to fill it out musically.

Are you kidding me? I completely agree! That was my first idea concerning changes when I first heard the album way back when. Normally I'd just ditch SUC because it's irrelevant thematically, but the album probably needs it to fill it out musically.

nice! see, i've always thought that Fez should immediately follow GOYB (it actually make a very solid transition), and SUC sounds really good after Crazy Tonight.

^
Awesome! Glad U liked it! But I didn't know Coach had mixed MOS as well... or r U referring 2 NLOTH?

Listened 2 Coach's "Mix" of MOS and absolutely detested it. I ADORE his NLOTH mix, but it is difficult 2 "EDIT" this majestic song w/out butchering it. After one listen, we're not there yet.

NLOTH better with alternate tracklist

point 1, before I go on is that HTDAB sounds a lot better now than 5 years ago, at this point I see it as a solid U2 album, it's not perfect but it has lots of personality from start to finish.
point 2, after a few months NLOTH is moving up the ladder also, but with this tracklist fashioned loosely on the track order of Achtung Baby:
1) magnificent 1)zoo
2) boots 2) even better
3) white as snow 3) one
4) fez 4)until the end
5) unknown caller 5) horses
6) cedars 6) cruel
7)NLOTH 7) fly
8) stand up 8) mysterious (throw your arms removed)
9)breathe 9) ultraviolet
10)crazy 10)acrobat
11)moment of surrender 11) blindness

point 1, before I go on is that HTDAB sounds a lot better now than 5 years ago, at this point I see it as a solid U2 album, it's not perfect but it has lots of personality from start to finish.
point 2, after a few months NLOTH is moving up the ladder also, but with this tracklist fashioned loosely on the track order of Achtung Baby:
1) magnificent 1)zoo
2) boots 2) even better
3) white as snow 3) one
4) fez 4)until the end
5) unknown caller 5) horses
6) cedars 6) cruel
7)NLOTH 7) fly
8) stand up 8) mysterious (throw your arms removed)
9)breathe 9) ultraviolet
10)crazy 10)acrobat
11)moment of surrender 11) blindness

If you're going to go with this type of comparison then I would swap 9 and 10. First of all Acrobat and Breathe have the same 6/8 count, plus Crazy and Ultaviolet share a kind of summer lightness to each other...

nice! see, i've always thought that Fez should immediately follow GOYB (it actually make a very solid transition), and SUC sounds really good after Crazy Tonight.

Mikal--what a great idea. So simple, and now that you mention it, it almost seems obvious. Brilliant. Since GOYB seems much more "of a piece" with the rest of the album (at least to me), this probably will improve the flow in the middle. Can't wait to try it out!

Mikal--what a great idea. So simple, and now that you mention it, it almost seems obvious. Brilliant. Since GOYB seems much more "of a piece" with the rest of the album (at least to me), this probably will improve the flow in the middle. Can't wait to try it out!

yep. that's actually how i listen to the album now: :)

1. No Line On The Horizon
  2. Magnificent
  3. Moment Of Surrender
  4. Unknown Caller
  5. Crazy Tonight
  6. Stand Up Comedy
  7. Get On Your Boots
  8. Fez - Being Born
  9. Winter
  10. White As Snow
  11. Breathe
  12. Cedars Of Lebanon

01. Fez - Being Born
02. No Line On The Horizon III (a mix between the original and the faster version)
03. Get On Your Boots (Long Intro)
04. Unknown Caller
05. Winter
06. White As Snow
07. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
08. Magnificent
09. Stand Up
10. Breathe
11. Cedars Of Lebanon
12. Moment Of Surrender

I like this tracklist a lot. It has a good flow. Try it out.

yep. that's actually how i listen to the album now: :)

2. Magnificent
  3. Moment Of Surrender
  4. Unknown Caller
  5. Crazy Tonight
  6. Stand Up Comedy
  7. Get On Your Boots
  8. Fez - Being Born
  9. Winter
  10. White As Snow
  11. Breathe
  12. Cedars Of Lebanon

:up: I love you signature by the way :wink: Since when did people like going to concerts where they weren't familiar with the songs?

When trying to maintain the overall feel and flow of the latest album, how would you build it up using older material? Here's my humble suggestion, and I thought it might fit this topic without going too much off-topic rather than starting a new thread:

Old Line On The Horizon (E°89 Edition):
1. Ultra Violet (Light My Way) - No Line On The Horizon
2. Do You Feel Loved - Magnificent
3. Your Blue Room - Moment of Surrender
4. Heartland // Peace on Earth - Unknown Caller
5. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
6. Vertigo - Get On Your Boots
7. Holy Joe (Garage Mix) - Stand Up Comedy
8. Miami // Zooropa - FEZ - Being Born
9. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World - White As Snow
10. Dirty Day - Breathe
11. Please (Single Mix) - Cedars of Lebanon

^^ Interesting idea. I'll give it a shot.

1) Electrical Storm (No Line On The Horizon)
2) City Of Blinding Lights (Magnificent)
3) Bad (Moment Of Surrender)
4) Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Dance Mix) (Unknown Caller)
5) Beautiful Day (I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight)
6) Discotheque (Get On Your Boots)
7) Sunday Bloody Sunday (Stand Up Comedy)
8) Mercy (Fez- Being Born)
9) The First Time (White As Snow)
10) I Will Follow (Breathe)
11) Van Diemen's Land (Cedars Of Lebanon)

2. Get On Your Boots
3. Unknown Caller
4. Magnificent
5. Moment Of Surrender
6. FEZ – Being Born
7. Breathe
8. I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight
9. Stand Up Comedy
10. White As Snow
11. Cedars of Lebanon

I like the original overall, but one I've been messing around with

NLOTH
Breathe
SUC - rockers to the front
Winter - Abrupt ending mixes well with UC's intro
UC
Mag
GOYB - Mag and Boots are natural pairs to me
Fez:BB
COL
Crazy -
MOS - Ender because it follows Crazy well and just to have something different than COL.

Dropped WAS - Good song, too similar tonally to COL. Not single worthy enough to be on the A-side and unless I put COL at the end, which I didn't want to do, made the b-side too mellow so off it goes.

I like the original overall, but one I've been messing around with

NLOTH
Breathe
SUC - rockers to the front
Winter - Abrupt ending mixes well with UC's intro
UC
Mag
GOYB - Mag and Boots are natural pairs to me
Fez:BB
COL
Crazy -
MOS - Ender because it follows Crazy well and just to have something different than COL.

Dropped WAS - Good song, too similar tonally to COL. Not single worthy enough to be on the A-side and unless I put COL at the end, which I didn't want to do, made the b-side too mellow so off it goes.

I would've dropped one of the rockers. SUC or CT wouldn't been just fine (both of them would be great) and I would've placed WAS in there somewhere. In my opinion, next to MOS, that's the most satisfying song on the album.

When trying to maintain the overall feel and flow of the latest album, how would you build it up using older material? Here's my humble suggestion, and I thought it might fit this topic without going too much off-topic rather than starting a new thread:

Old Line On The Horizon (E°89 Edition):
1. Ultra Violet (Light My Way) - No Line On The Horizon
2. Do You Feel Loved - Magnificent
3. Your Blue Room - Moment of Surrender
4. Heartland // Peace on Earth - Unknown Caller
5. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
6. Vertigo - Get On Your Boots
7. Holy Joe (Garage Mix) - Stand Up Comedy
8. Miami // Zooropa - FEZ - Being Born
9. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World - White As Snow
10. Dirty Day - Breathe
11. Please (Single Mix) - Cedars of Lebanon

Cool idea!

1. NLOTH - Zoo Station
2. Mag - Mofo
3. MOS - So Cruel
4. UC - Miracle Drug
5. Crazy - COBL
6. GOYB - Vertigo
7. SUC - HMTMKMKM
8. Fez:BB - Heartland
9. WAS - The First Time
10. Breathe - Electrical Storm
11. COL - One Step Closer

NLOTH - Zoo Station
Magnificent - Pride
MOS - Bad
UC - Lemon
Crazy Tonight - Beautiful Day
GOYB - Discotheque
SUC - ABOY
F-BB - Zooropa
WAS - OSC
Breathe - UTEOTW
COL - LIB

I still think the really great complete album comes when you mix this with SoA. I think they’ve given us a bit of a progressive ‘journey’ album, and a bit of a conservative commercial album jumbled up, and likely SoA is a bit of that too, leaning toward the progressive. The way I kind of look at NLOTH also is that it’s not quite a great album, but it’s got all the pieces there to make the foundation of a great album, that it still lacks a bit of coherence and clarity. It’s a few tracks short, and at the same time, there are a few tracks that stand out too much. Again, I’m sure there’ll be stuff on SoA that fixes this.

So for me, this isn’t so much a preferred tracklisting, but a kind of foundation or the tentpoles set up for a really great album, SoA tracks pending to flesh it out and kick it home beyond where NLOTH gets too. Gaps are where I think it obviously needs something else/something more. It’s also not a very ‘commercial’ running order in terms of life/big songs up front. Its more moody, following the kind of journey going on there. Kingdom as an opening credits type song, then starts off at the low point, hits a new beginning, embraces the new attitude (and gives the album the middle lift up via the more on theme No Line/Breathe/Magnificent rather than pasted in ‘hits’ as per the current album), then drifts into the reflective songs from NLOTH, which I assume a decent chunk of SoA is as well. It might need a bit more between MoS and Unknown Caller or between UC and No Line – that run is a bit slow/soft/whatever, and definitely something a bit ‘bigger’ and different in the run home. Every Breaking Wave sounds like it could possibly fit in a number of places.

Anyway, we really know nothing about SoA, I just think, as I said, NLOTH has a lot of great tracks that together somehow fall just short of a great album. I’m hoping that fleshed out properly with SoA, in the right order, could be really great. REALLY great.

- Kingdom
- Moment of Surrender
-
- Unknown Caller
-
- No Line on the Horizon
- Breathe
- Magnificent
-
- Fez-Being Born
- (Winter/White as Snow/Cedars/Other SoA Tracks)

Really great stuff, Earnie. At this point, I've seen/heard enough to know that NLOTH may have been just about flawless if they'd dropped 2-3 tracks (I think we all know what they are) and inserted/rearranged with Kingdom, Winter, and Every Breaking Wave. One part of me is sad that they were so close to a masterpiece, but I suppose we'd only get one album out of these sessions if they'd taken that route. Who knows--once SOA drops, we may be able to find great track locations for CT and SUC (with one long, 23-song album), or we may yet be able to make Bono's Day and Night albums by mixing the two. This would (will?) be an interesting, fun challenge.

Fez-Being Born
No Line On The Horizon
Cedars Of Lebanon
Crazy Tonight
Stand Up Comedy
Moment Of Surrender
Get On Your Boots
Winter
Unknown Caller
Magnificent
Breathe

if some of you want to start a "what songs from U2's past sound like NLOTH", could you please start your own thread? this thread is for alternate tracklists.

thanks.

i still think the original tracklist is pretty good. once again, just switch GOYB and Stand Up Comedy, and the middle 3 flow better.

Back
Top Bottom