NLOTH2 vs. NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which version do you prefer?

• Total voters
I want to bump this thread because i had a careful listen to the album version yesterday and it did nothing to me. The V2 is much better, cooler. The rithym is much nicer, and crude guitar work is much "juicier". And that the "no its gonna be alone" part is refreshening amazing. Sound like a young Bono singing.

The album version is a little boring and pointless.

I can listen to nloth2 all day, I already threw the normal one off my playlist.
The album version misses the beat, the NO! LINE! part, it's pretty boring compared to nloth2 which is a bit of a better version of ladywiththespinninghead.

I want to bump this thread because i had a careful listen to the album version yesterday and it did nothing to me. The V2 is much better, cooler. The rithym is much nicer, and crude guitar work is much "juicier". And that the "no its gonna be alone" part is refreshening amazing. Sound like a young Bono singing.

The album version is a little boring and pointless.

Agree with this after lots of listens to each. V2 all the way.

God this is so difficult as I first heard NLOTH2 and thought nothing could beat that! But NLOTH Album version wins by a gnats whisker! I so love the sound of what to me sounds like ships horns at the beginning :heart:

NLOTH1:
-I like the dynamics of this more. Swells from loud to hushed to loud.
-Many more layers of sound to this, even if not all of them pop out.
-Lyrics are intelligble and vocals are finished.
-The chorus vocals annoy me: NO. No line on the horizon. NO. No line. Ugh.
-The ending is bland. It just. Ends.

NLOTH2:
-The guitar sound kicks and the beat makes this danceable.
-Not enough dynamics to this song. It stays loud the entire time and the guitar has very variation in what it's playing.
-I enjoy the chorus vocals much more: NO. Line on the horizon. NO. LINE.
-Some of the vocals and lyrics are unintelligble. Sounds like a first take that didn't have lyrics written at the time.
-I like the ending of this much more. The layers of this song peel away and then it ends.

No Line on the Horizon (B-side version)

I went on holiday a day after the first leak of No Line of the Horizon (the upbeat rocking version), therefore I have missed a lot of the discussion surrounding it. I came back this week, got hold of the album, and think it's amazing. However, as much as I like the album version, does anybody else prefer the original leaked version of No Line on the Horizon?

I was dissapointed to find out this ended up as the B-side to Get on Your Boots, as I think this would have been superb as the second single. I honestly think radio would have loved it, and it would have been a massive hit.

It's just such an upbeat and cheerful song, and kind of reminds me of Lady With the Spinning Head in a way.

Yes, but I think radio has their hands on it and is playing it, especially alternative rock stations.(XM ALT nation for sure has played it.)

I love both versions, I think what we got fits better in the context of the album, though I will say both versions took a few listens to grow on me, especially NLOTH 2. I think this will get enough exposure.

Live performances should be the album version until the bridge, then kick in the B-side version w/ the No, No Line chant for the ending.

Agree. Sounds like Lady with the Spinning Head and Holy Joe crossed together with a new, modern twist.

My first reaction after hearing the album version was that there was no point in the B-side version anymore... but I think I may be moving towards NLOTH 2 at this point.....

LOVE the live version!

They really need to do a NLOTH 1.5 mix, with the great outro from 2 and 1's less repetition.

I think the album version feels more significant, possessing more weight and atmosphere, and the difference in quality between the two is huge in my opinion. I quite like the b-side version, but it's a bit too shiny and clean-sounding (U2 have had too many pristine and bright tracks this decade IMO) and doesn't really suck me in the way the album cut does, which has a dirtier, grittier wall of sound.

I just listened back to back to both versions, and 2 is better.
It has more energy, which suits this kind of fast punk rock song.

Though it is a little repetitive, it's chorus blows 1 out of the water.
For some reason 1's chorus is lower key than the verses, which doesn't work, you come off this great verse with ballsy guitar into a tepid chorus.

NLOTH2 is much better in this respect, with the great electronic blip noise throughout the song. And the 'No line!" chant in the outro is great as well, finishes the song on a high point. NLOTH last chorus is as weak as the previous ones, with slight relief offered by the wacky keyboard outro.

They need to do a remix of NLOTH2 making it slightly less repetitive (perhaps include the guitar that kicks in at the second verse on NLOTH1), take out the scat singing after the 'hole in her heart' verse and include the aforementioned keyboard outro.

But as it stands, NLOTH2 is the better execution of this concept.

I can't get myself to like NLOTH1, while I LOVE the 2nd version.

Seriously, Adam's basslines are way better, the guitar upbeat, Bono's voice sounds better. Compared to it I found NLOTH1 really boring and overproduced.

I like NLOTH 1 more even though I like faster songs too. To me Bono's vocal delivery sounds better on the album version. Its slower tempo suits as an opener.

I still like NLOTH2 better. I am a fan of the faster upbeat songs.

Sicy is right, in this case the remix is superior to the album version.
Even though I was expecting the album version to be better, it didn't work out that way.

Has little of the energy that made NLOTH2 so effective.

Sicy is right, in this case the remix is superior to the album version.
Even though I was expecting the album version to be better, it didn't work out that way.

Has little of the energy that made NLOTH2 so effective.

NOBODY is right or wrong here. This thread is about opinions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom