NLOTH Singles Chart Watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update on Crazy Tonight in the U.S.

Triple A/Adult Rock: Up to #4 and now on 29 of 30 monitored playlists. Has resumed it's rise and should reach #1

Adult Top 40: Up to #28 and on 44 monitored playlists.

Rock: Up to #29

Alternative: Up to #30 and still being added...a little surprising to me anyway

Fuse Video Channel: Crazy video(cartoon) up to 22 from 35 in it's 2nd week on the chart

VH1 Video Channel: Crazy video (cartoon) up to 27 from 79 in it's 1st week on the Top 40 chart

Billboard's all-inclusive new "Rock Top 50"; up from #29 to #27

Update on Crazy Tonight in the U.S.

Triple A/Adult Rock: Up to #4 and now on 29 of 30 monitored playlists. Has resumed it's rise and should reach #1

Adult Top 40: Up to #28 and on 44 monitored playlists.

Rock: Up to #29

Alternative: Up to #30 and still being added...a little surprising to me anyway

Fuse Video Channel: Crazy video(cartoon) up to 22 from 35 in it's 2nd week on the chart

VH1 Video Channel: Crazy video (cartoon) up to 27 from 79 in it's 1st week on the Top 40 chart

Billboard's all-inclusive new "Rock Top 50"; up from #29 to #27

Thank you beLIEve!

For comparison's sake, how did GOYB and "Magnificent" perform on these charts?

I really hope this single keeps rising! With the boys in the US two weeks from tomorrow (I'll be there by the way :drool::drool::drool::drool:) hopefully it will help give the song another boost. I'm still curious to see if they play the regular version of this song on the U.S. tour or if they stick with the remix.

Top 100 Hits Online (U.S. chart...Billboard now shows it)

TW LW 2W Weeks High Points
63 58 44 21 Magnificent, U2
Lyrics | Reviews | Listen / Buy | iTunes | MP3 15 20.8

64 83 90 3 Love Drunk, Boys Like Girls
Lyrics | Reviews | Listen / Buy | iTunes | MP3 64 20.6
65 80 -- 2 Get Shaky, Ian Carey Project
Lyrics | Reviews | Listen / Buy | iTunes | MP3 65 20.3
66 *NEW* 1 We Are Golden, Mika
Lyrics | Reviews | Listen / Buy | iTunes | MP3 66 20.1
67 55 42 13 Shark In The Water, VV Brown
Lyrics | Reviews | iTunes | MP3 34 19.5
68 98 -- 2 **** LARGEST CHART MOVE ****
Run This Town, Jay-Z f/ Rihanna & Kanye West
Lyrics | Reviews | Listen / Buy | iTunes | MP3 68 19.4
69 88 93 3 Down, Jay Sean f/ Lil Wayne
Lyrics | Reviews | iTunes | MP3 69 19.2
70 76 68 13 Fire, Kasabian
Lyrics | Reviews | Listen / Buy | iTunes | MP3 31 19.2
71 97 -- 2 Ignorance, Paramore
Lyrics | Reviews | Listen / Buy | iTunes | MP3 71 19.1
72 51 40 20 I Do Not Hook Up, Kelly Clarkson
Lyrics | Reviews | Listen / Buy | iTunes | MP3 2 19.1
73 70 70 9 Closer To Love, Mat Kearney
Lyrics | Reviews | Listen / Buy | iTunes | MP3 69 19.1
74 *NEW* 1 I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, U2
Lyrics | Reviews | Listen / Buy | iTunes | MP3 74 19.0

Crazy finally debuts on this chart for the week ending August 22.

Dr. Who, as far as how Crazy is doing versus Magnificent and GOYB, at this point it's doing better than those two singles in a couple of respects. First, GOYB did not reach #1 on any chart that I know of, and while it showed up on all the Mediabase charts I listed above, it debuted respectfully but fell rather quickly. Magnificent reached #1 on Adult Rock, and Crazy looks like it could do the same thing. As of today, Crazy is at #4. Magnificent reached #24 on Adult Top 40, but flamed out. As of this morning, Crazy is at #27 and climbing.

On Alternative, I'm not sure Magnificent did much, although it did chart. I can't really figure why Crazy Tonight is charting on that format. While it may ultimately outperform Magnificent on this chart, it probably won't reach Top 10, which GOYB did since it was U2's first single, but if faded quickly. Finally, on the Rock format, GOYB and Magnificent made it close, or into, the Top 10. Don't think Crazy will do that, but Mediabase treats that format as a very small section of U.S. radio.

Crazy has been slowly building, and like the video or not, it's the first time I've personally seen a video from NLOTH on TV, although the other two probably were aired and I'm not much of a watcher of VH1/Fuse/MTV, so I don't know. While Crazy has not been a massive, instant hit, it's still climbing across the formats of U.S. radio/video. It still has the best potential, IHMO, to be the biggest of the three singles in the U.S. from NLOTH, but I don't know what that says these days. U2 just don't have that "single" vibe with this album. With the tour arriving here in a few weeks, though, I suspect that Crazy will get more airplay, as will the album, which could/should help sales for remaining concert tickets and the album. Without a compelling single release strategy, especially in the U.S., Crazy will have to survive on radio, which seems to be all the U2 really want it to do IMO.

If Crazy really makes a dent on the Adult Top 40...like Top 10 or something...then it will have more than done it's job. The timing and promotion are actually pretty good for this single...so who knows.

One other tidbit...if you look at the weekly summaries that mediabase publishes for each format, which includes the Top 20 song playlists in some 25-35 markets, you will see that even right now, GOYB, Magnificent, Crazy are all getting played, depending on region or station. I've seen Stand Up Comedy scattered about on a few Top 20 playlists since NLOTH was released...but for last week, I saw several stations had MOS in their Top 20. Either song could be the 4th single...or perhaps Breathe...or it's just a case of stations preferring to play album cuts, regardless of length or "release" of the song. More album play, the better, and I suspect it will pickup when the tour hits for all songs from NLOTH.

Believe ... thanks yet again for the summary. I really enjoy reading what you have to say. Also, if they are the muscial guests on Saturday Night Live next month ... which to my knowledge still hasn't been confirmed ... that really could give this song a boost. The ratings will be huge for the season premiere.

As for the video's, I did see GOYB on VH1 .. I think it may have even made their top 20 countdown show. But it looks like Crazy is on its way to doing that as well.

Top 100 Hits Online (U.S. chart...Billboard now shows it)

TW LW 2W Weeks High Points
63 58 44 21 Magnificent, U2
Lyrics | Reviews | Listen / Buy | iTunes | MP3 15 20.8

64 83 90 3 Love Drunk, Boys Like Girls
Lyrics | Reviews | Listen / Buy | iTunes | MP3 64 20.6
65 80 -- 2 Get Shaky, Ian Carey Project
Lyrics | Reviews | Listen / Buy | iTunes | MP3 65 20.3
66 *NEW* 1 We Are Golden, Mika
Lyrics | Reviews | Listen / Buy | iTunes | MP3 66 20.1
67 55 42 13 Shark In The Water, VV Brown
Lyrics | Reviews | iTunes | MP3 34 19.5
68 98 -- 2 **** LARGEST CHART MOVE ****
Run This Town, Jay-Z f/ Rihanna & Kanye West
Lyrics | Reviews | Listen / Buy | iTunes | MP3 68 19.4
69 88 93 3 Down, Jay Sean f/ Lil Wayne
Lyrics | Reviews | iTunes | MP3 69 19.2
70 76 68 13 Fire, Kasabian
Lyrics | Reviews | Listen / Buy | iTunes | MP3 31 19.2
71 97 -- 2 Ignorance, Paramore
Lyrics | Reviews | Listen / Buy | iTunes | MP3 71 19.1
72 51 40 20 I Do Not Hook Up, Kelly Clarkson
Lyrics | Reviews | Listen / Buy | iTunes | MP3 2 19.1
73 70 70 9 Closer To Love, Mat Kearney
Lyrics | Reviews | Listen / Buy | iTunes | MP3 69 19.1
74 *NEW* 1 I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, U2
Lyrics | Reviews | Listen / Buy | iTunes | MP3 74 19.0

Crazy finally debuts on this chart for the week ending August 22.

Dr. Who, as far as how Crazy is doing versus Magnificent and GOYB, at this point it's doing better than those two singles in a couple of respects. First, GOYB did not reach #1 on any chart that I know of, and while it showed up on all the Mediabase charts I listed above, it debuted respectfully but fell rather quickly. Magnificent reached #1 on Adult Rock, and Crazy looks like it could do the same thing. As of today, Crazy is at #4. Magnificent reached #24 on Adult Top 40, but flamed out. As of this morning, Crazy is at #27 and climbing.

On Alternative, I'm not sure Magnificent did much, although it did chart. I can't really figure why Crazy Tonight is charting on that format. While it may ultimately outperform Magnificent on this chart, it probably won't reach Top 10, which GOYB did since it was U2's first single, but if faded quickly. Finally, on the Rock format, GOYB and Magnificent made it close, or into, the Top 10. Don't think Crazy will do that, but Mediabase treats that format as a very small section of U.S. radio.

Crazy has been slowly building, and like the video or not, it's the first time I've personally seen a video from NLOTH on TV, although the other two probably were aired and I'm not much of a watcher of VH1/Fuse/MTV, so I don't know. While Crazy has not been a massive, instant hit, it's still climbing across the formats of U.S. radio/video. It still has the best potential, IHMO, to be the biggest of the three singles in the U.S. from NLOTH, but I don't know what that says these days. U2 just don't have that "single" vibe with this album. With the tour arriving here in a few weeks, though, I suspect that Crazy will get more airplay, as will the album, which could/should help sales for remaining concert tickets and the album. Without a compelling single release strategy, especially in the U.S., Crazy will have to survive on radio, which seems to be all the U2 really want it to do IMO.

If Crazy really makes a dent on the Adult Top 40...like Top 10 or something...then it will have more than done it's job. The timing and promotion are actually pretty good for this single...so who knows.

One other tidbit...if you look at the weekly summaries that mediabase publishes for each format, which includes the Top 20 song playlists in some 25-35 markets, you will see that even right now, GOYB, Magnificent, Crazy are all getting played, depending on region or station. I've seen Stand Up Comedy scattered about on a few Top 20 playlists since NLOTH was released...but for last week, I saw several stations had MOS in their Top 20. Either song could be the 4th single...or perhaps Breathe...or it's just a case of stations preferring to play album cuts, regardless of length or "release" of the song. More album play, the better, and I suspect it will pickup when the tour hits for all songs from NLOTH.

So Crazy is at #27 on Adult Top 40 Billboard. Any sign of Crazy at Mainstream Rock Billboard, or Modern Rock Billboard?

Crazy update August 30

will crazy be able to enter the hot 100 on airplay alone as dont see downloads playing any significant part?

Maybe, especially if it continues to gain airplay on the Mainstream Adult Top 40 and Alternative Formats. Those are much larger than Adult Rock, where U2 seems to get played quite a bit.

This week's update from Mediabase:

Adult Rock:

LW: Aug 17-Aug 23 TW: Aug 24-Aug 30 Updated: Mon Aug 31 4:12 AM PST

Peak lw TW Artist Title TW lw Move On TW lw +/-
1 3 1 DAVID GRAY 576 489 87 30 19.2 16.3 +2.9
3 6 2 DAVE MATTHEWS BAND Why I Am 502 418 84 27 18.6 15.5 +3.1
1 1 3 KINGS OF LEON Use Somebody 493 504 -11 29 17.0 17.4 -0.4
5 5 4 U2 I'll Go Crazy If I D... Interscope 2009 481 442 39 29 16.6 15.2 +1.3

Alternative:

29 30 30 OWL CITY Fireflies 440 401 39 33 12.6 11.5 +1.1
30 32 31 U2 I'll Go Crazy If I D... 426 374 52 38 10.9 9.6 +1.3
1 28 32 GREEN DAY Know Your Enemy 397 443 -46 44 8.4 9.4 -1.0

Adult Top 40:

27 29 27 U2 I'll Go Crazy If I D...525 507 18 42 11.9 11.5 +0.4
24 28 28 BLACK EYED PEAS Boom Boom Pow 500 533 -33 25 18.5 19.2 -0.7
29 30 29 HOWIE DAY Be There 495 477 18 39 12.4 11.9 +0.5
13 26 30 KELLY CLARKSON I Do Not Hook Up 455 599 -144 38 9.1 11.5 -2.4

Fuse TV (Video Airplay)

LW TW ARTIST TITLE (LABEL) TOTAL PLAYS TOTAL PLAYS LW +/-PLAYS
11 1 3OH!3 Don't Trust Me (Photo Finish/Atlantic/RRP) 22 14 8
1 2 BLACK EYED PEAS I Gotta Feeling (Interscope) 18 23 -5
26 3 THEORY OF A DEADMAN Not Meant To Be (604/Universal) 17 12 5
27 4 U2 I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go... (Interscope) 17 12 5

VH-1 (Video Airplay)

LW TW ARTIST TITLE (LABEL) TOTAL PLAYS TOTAL PLAYS LW +/-PLAYS
14 16 3 DOORS DOWN Let Me Be Myself (Universal Republic) 12 13 -1
22 17 U2 I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go... (Interscope) 12 10 2
39 18 UNCLE KRACKER Smile (Top Dog/Atlantic) 12 4 8
15 19 BEYONCE Sweet Dreams (Music World/Columbia) 11 13 -2

More updates when Billboard updates later this week. The Crazy Tonight music video looks like a cinch to be the most popular clip from NLOTH. The song has not moved many positions since my last update, which was less than a week ago, but it is still gaining airplay across the formats where it's getting airplay. Again this week, there are a number of playlists with multiple songs from NLOTH in the Top 20, like this one from Seattle:

KMTT-FM
Seattle (13)
rTW ARTIST TITLE SPINS TW LW
1 KINGS OF LEON Use Somebody 25 27
2 FRANZ FERDINAND No You Girls 25 26
3 INGRID MICHAELSON Maybe 24 23
4 ERIC HUTCHINSON Rock & Roll 17 18
5 GREEN DAY Know Your Enemy 17 15
6 MICHAEL FRANTI & SPEARHEAD Say Hey 17 11
7 DAVID GRAY Fugitive 16 18
8 OWL CITY Fireflies 15 7
9 COLLECTIVE SOUL Staring Down 13 6
10 BRANDI CARLILE Dreams 12 7
11 U2 I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go... 11 10
12 TRAIN Hey, Soul Sister 11 7
13 ADELE Right As Rain 10 17
14 PEARL JAM The Fixer 10 14
15 U2 Moment Of Surrender 10 12
16 DAVE MATTHEWS BAND Why I Am 10 10
17 JASON MRAZ I'm Yours 10 8
18 PLAIN WHITE T'S 1, 2, 3, 4 10 7
19 U2 Magnificent 10 7
20 KILLERS Human 9 9

With the tour being just under two weeks away from hitting North America, I would not be surprised to see many playlists, at least from the Adult Rock Format, with multiple NLOTH tracks in the Top 20. Crazy Tonight should hold it's momentum until the tour kicks off, and after that, I really don't know. The timing for an all out push for the song and the album looks like it is going to work out perfectly with respect to the tour and the resulting publicity. It's too bad Magnificent didn't get this type of promotion, although it did end up having some staying power along with new life as a dance remix.

Expect Magnificent to rise a bit shortly, since it has been used in a climate awareness campaign taped last Saturday in Belgium. I read the clip will be used all over the world.

Twelve thousand dance for the environment at Ostende < Belgian news | Expatica Belgium

Twelve thousand dance for the environment at Ostende

The organisers of 'The Big Ask Again' video clip expected ten thousand people to turn up to the beach at Ostende on Saturday. In fact, they welcomed twelve thousand people from Belgium and further afield.

At the beginning of the afternoon, the organisers of the clip taught the eco-aware crowd a choreographed dance. The aim was to send a clear message to politicians at a convention in Copenhagen this December that urgent action must be taken if the environment is to be saved from global warming.

The crowds danced to the song ‘Magnificent’ by U2, who are also partners in fighting climate change. The Flemish organiser, Nic Balthazar, wanted to send the message exactly one hundred days before the start of the climate change convention in Copenhagen.

The new clip will be released around the world in November, in ten languages, to draw attention to the dangers of human activity and waste to the environment, as well as putting pressure on politicians to take a more proactive stance when it comes to the question of the environment.

In August 2008, a crowd of 6000 attended the first ‘Big Ask’, but the weather was not good.

Le Soir/Expatica

Encouragung news. Crazy Tonight is currently numbers 2&3 on the Amazon UK CD singles chart.
However, Cliff Richard is number 1. Hmmm.

still on B-list on bbc radio1. :down:
and coldplay have another single out from VLV and its on the A-list, thats all we need:doh:

in Usa digital track
RE 150 U2 I'LL GO CRAZY IF I DON'T GO CR 9177 26 7282 55745

and if they will perform it at SNL on 26 september...:applaud:

oh come on. really??

isn't that beyond hypocritical?

This isn't quite the right forum for this - however, even I questioned U2 being "green" when they tour. Matters were made worse with a tour as grandiose as this.

That said, U2 are performing only a few shows a week at stadiums (as opposed to 5 shows on consecutive nights in arenas). I think the arenas, in this situation, would use more power. And U2 are traveling less, so that's less impact. Plus, they did some carbon credits trading (not sure of the details).

To be fair to U2, they've also supported Green Peace for years and have donated both time and money. So while U2 may not be the greenest people on the planet, I think they are working with what they can.

Crazy tonight falls in airplay in the UK from 22 to 30...

I swear that this is a conspiracy. Airplay should be up seeing as this is the week the single is released!

The music industry obviously thinks that U2 deserve a kick in the nuts.

That said, U2 are performing only a few shows a week at stadiums (as opposed to 5 shows on consecutive nights in arenas). I think the arenas, in this situation, would use more power. And U2 are traveling less, so that's less impact. Plus, they did some carbon credits trading (not sure of the details).

Well, U2 never played more than 2 consecutive nights when in Arena's on the recent tours, no more than 5 shows per week. With the Arena's only 1 very small stage and 13 trucks are needed. With this tour, they need 3 of the largest stages ever built, dozens of trucks to transport each stage. It requires 4 days just to build one stage in one stadium!

This tour is going to break all prior gross and attendance records when it comes to touring. But it is also going to break all prior carbon footprint records for touring as well.

There will be 100 shows on this tour compare to 131 on Vertigo. The real difference is all the extra stages 360 requires plus 10 times as many trucks compared to the Arena part of the Vertigo Tour.

saw the blackberry/u2 add in cinema last night. awsome:wink:
doesnt seem to be helping the single or album though. IMO they would have been better off having an iTunes add.

I'm completely lost regarding singles charts as there seems to be many different ones, it's going over my head!

Can somebody please tell me how crazy tonight is doing in the OFFICIAL UK SINGLES CHART? Not itunes, not airplay, nothing like that, but official uk singles chart. Wanna know if it beats Magnificent's position of 42.

Back
Top Bottom