NLOTH Singles Chart Watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got my Billboard magazine today, and it appears they have changed a few charts. No "Active Rock" or "Heritage Rock" or "Mainstream Rock" charts, just one Rock chart. Crazy Tonight is the "Hot Shot Debut" on this chart - for last week - debuting at #50.

I have not been checking the Mediabase chart for "Mainstream Rock", but sure enough, it is on that chart today at #38. Billboard does still have Triple A and shows Crazy up to #13 for last week. Magnificent is at #11 on the "Dance Club Play" chart, so I guess it peaked there at #2.

Again, Crazy is now moving up on Adult Mainstream Top 40, Mainstream Rock, and Adult Rock. Maybe, just maybe, it will be big enough to give NLOTH a significant boost, since NLOTH has not had it's "Vertigo" or "BD". IMHO, though, the initial radio success for Crazy in the U.S. is not related to the tour at all...it's just the Blackberry Ad...which is what you need these days it seems. I do think NLOTH rising up the charts in the last 3 weeks is also due to the Blackberry Ad/Crazy Airplay simply raising awareness that U2 has a new album out this year to casual fans. In the ROTW, the tour is obviously helping album sales, and who knows...maybe the tour and album push will help Crazy Tonight do well as a single (and/or vice versa) in Europe.

Regardless, if Crazy Tonight can REALLY take off, like Viva La Vida, then maybe NLOTH can make a huge move up, and the tour in the U.S. could perhaps help NLOTH capitalize on Holiday season sales. Who knows, but the U2 Marketing Machine needs to make up for the ground lost with the first two singles...and they just might do it.

So far Crazy seems to be getting out there. This blackberry ad is just what they needed, and its hitting a strong market. I hope once they come to the states, they do a bit of promo again such as SNL to help boost sales.

Magnificent's having quite good staying power on Euro Top 100 singles, jumbing back into top 50 this week after 11 wks on chart : 35-51-60-34-48-96-32-37-55-51-50

In comparison GOYB was out after just 9 weeks : 23-6-18-26-39-61-63-94-87-x...

Mag sounds GREAT at a club. Its been a while since U2 had such a great dance song.

That reminds me...I forgot one more chart in my last update. In the U.S., The Top 100 Hits Online Chart showed Magnificent peaking at #19 some 6-8 weeks ago...then it faded. However, for the last 3 weeks, it's run has been 40-37-30. That coincides, or it's close to, the remix run on Dance Club Play Charts in the U.S., so I wouldn't be surprised if the remix release...and subsequent sales/club play success, has also played a small role in NLOTH rising back up the album chart here in the U.S.

I agree, it does sound great in Clubs, too.

It seems so far the NLOTH singles have all found success on dif formats, but none have had the power to really criss cross into the others hence get into the top 40. Boots was your modern rock hit, Mag was your hot ac/dance hit, and Crazy is looking like it may be the best of the bunch to hit the top 40.

Regardless, if Crazy Tonight can REALLY take off, like Viva La Vida, then maybe NLOTH can make a huge move up, and the tour in the U.S. could perhaps help NLOTH capitalize on Holiday season sales. Who knows, but the U2 Marketing Machine needs to make up for the ground lost with the first two singles...and they just might do it.

as much as i'd like to see it, I cant see it being anywhere near VLV. simply because songs that take off the way that did only come round once a year if that!

but if this can be a bigger hit than boots and mag then that will be very impressive. shame bbc radio1 / radio2 arent playlisting it :down:

The traditional single died a death this year, that is clear, I never believed I would see a day when U2 failed to make the UK 40.

as much as i'd like to see it, I cant see it being anywhere near VLV. simply because songs that take off the way that did only come round once a year if that!

but if this can be a bigger hit than boots and mag then that will be very impressive. shame bbc radio1 / radio2 arent playlisting it :down:

Really? so no playlisting on national radio? ouch also...

• 3rd single from album
  • No new songs or trad b Sides
  • The remixes leaked weeks in advance
Yeah that above will probably hurt it's chances of a strong extended chart run plus just the third single of any album is not the same as back when ie Everybody Hurts by R.E.M. which I think was single 4 at the time... and obviously One and Streets... CT may do better than the last one, maybe, probably... I think the slow rise of the album can be attributed to cherrypicking downloading ie someone buying 4, 5 songs from an album which will probably count as a sale too right? also re: the Blackberry add, sure it may have helped sales but I'd not expect an avalanche.. for example, I have yet to see it here in NJ or NY and watch enough TV per day, also remember advertising since the arrival of DVR, tivo is getting ff'd and alot of it ignored, people want the show, more often than not...

No false dawn, but not the wow comeback either, somewhere inbetween..

To give a little perspective on how popular VLV was/is:

Crazy tonight has 473k views in a little more than 1 week, which I thought was good.

VLV on the other hand has been out a little over a year but has nearly 50 million hits....thats right, 50 MILLION. I saw that and was like WTF!!! I mean, its a good song but 50 MILLION????? Whats even more amazing is that there is a 2nd posting of the same VLV video that has 7 MILLION hits...see for yourself, it really was that HUGE of a song.

YouTube - Coldplay - Viva La Vida

Crazy tonight has 473k views in a little more than 1 week, which I thought was good.

VLV on the other hand has been out a little over a year but has nearly 50 million hits....thats right, 50 MILLION. I saw that and was like WTF!!! I mean, its a good song but 50 MILLION????? Whats even more amazing is that there is a 2nd posting of the same VLV video that has 7 MILLION hits

To be fair, none of U2's videos have those types of numbers. Taking a super quick glance (meaning I might have missed something obvious) at U2's YouTube numbers shows that they only have two videos with over 14M hits ("One" and WOWY) and one video with 12M hits ("Saints"). Then there's a drop, with WOWY from R&H having 7.7M hits. The next is the wildly popular "Vertigo" with about 6.6M views. And it goes down from there. Even the omnipresent BD has only about 2.5M views. In other words, people aren't really going to YouTube to watch U2. ;)

Also, with 50M hits, one would think that this song would have been the biggest thing since sliced bread. The album should have sold at least 5-10M copies, the song should have dominated the charts, yada, yada. But instead, the album fought its way to over 2M. The song did well on the charts, but it still needed the iTunes commercial to help it.

It should also be noted that if someone went to YouTube to see U2's performance of "Crazy", that's not the video they'd get. Instead, they'd see the cartoon version - which is fun, but it is not immediately obvious it's U2. In fact, some might think it to be some fan-made video. To the best of my knowledge, U2 have always appeared in their videos, even if only briefly (AIWIY) or even when the video was a cartoon (HMTMKMKM). So this could actually be causing a touch of confusion. And those who want to see U2 perform this song live may have to wait until U2 releases another video for this song.

In other words, let's not over-interpret the YouTube stats too much. In a week it has over 477K views. GOYB has about 1.4M views. If "Crazy" continues to gain exposure on radio and TV, one could see how it could easily become one of U2's bigger videos on YouTube. But, as in typical U2 fashion, it appears it will take time. Even some of U2's bigger hits (like "One") didn't break into the U.S. Top 10 right away - it had to work its way up there.

in Uk now on Itunes i'll go crazy if i don't go crazy tonight is in top 10 (at #10) on the rock songs chart.
The premiere of the alternative video of that song (25 july on channel 4) will help the album and the song...

I think the slow rise of the album can be attributed to cherrypicking downloading ie someone buying 4, 5 songs from an album which will probably count as a sale too right?

Nope it doesn't it counts as a sale for each individual song, not the album. Albums sales mean someone bought the entire album at once, if you download each track one by one that isn't an album sale it's an individual single sale for each track

Who says it wont be playlisted on radio 1? just because it hasnt yet doesnt mean it wont be, i really do think it hasnt yet been release to radio over here yet, and about a week or 2 before release i belive it will be listed, just a guess on my part.

VLV on the other hand has been out a little over a year but has nearly 50 million hits....thats right, 50 MILLION. I saw that and was like WTF!!! I mean, its a good song but 50 MILLION????? Whats even more amazing is that there is a 2nd posting of the same VLV video that has 7 MILLION hits...see for yourself, it really was that HUGE of a song.

YouTube - Coldplay - Viva La Vida

Interesting, but youtube hits are not really an accurate way to gauge popularity. There is no way to tell how many people have actually watched the video on youtube since there are certainly many individuals who may watch the every day, inflating the number of hits.

With album sales and ticket sales, the person actually has to spend money, and each purchase typically only represents one person, because most people don't buy multiple copies of the same album for themselves or multiple concert tickets to the same show for themselves.

Interesting, but youtube hits are not really an accurate way to gauge popularity. There is no way to tell how many people have actually watched the video on youtube since there are certainly many individuals who may watch the every day, inflating the number of hits.

With album sales and ticket sales, the person actually has to spend money, and each purchase typically only represents one person, because most people don't buy multiple copies of the same album for themselves or multiple concert tickets to the same show for themselves.

True because I masturbate to the VLV video 10 times a day:applaud:

I agree with you on this. I mentioned the number of hits only as a comparison to the discussion on an earlier page of the number of hits for the Crazy vid.

Nope it doesn't it counts as a sale for each individual song, not the album. Albums sales mean someone bought the entire album at once, if you download each track one by one that isn't an album sale it's an individual single sale for each track

oh god really? so that means 2million bought that UMG Puppet Tranny's album afterall... sigh......

Mediabase update for I'll Go Crazy...

July 24th-30th

AAA
Up from #8 to #7
366 plays (+45)

Hot AC
Up from #44 to #34
308 plays (+89)

Alternative
Up from #46 to #40
243 plays (+24)

Rock
Up from #44 to #33
28 plays (+14)

945 TOTAL PLAYS on these formats this week...:up:

And the song is also #71 on the iTunes rock songs chart, just behind Beautiful Day at #61

:up:

If I'm remembering correctly that's better than Magnificent ever did. So maybe if the Blackberry ad keeps going, airplay increases, downloads may go up, and we may see a decent chart position for this song. Only time will tell...

On Euro Top 100 Singles Magnificent is showing remarkable resilience, going back up 12 spots to #38 after 12 weeks on chart :

35-51-60-34-48-96-32-37-55-51-50-38

And the song is also #71 on the iTunes rock songs chart, just behind Beautiful Day at #61

:up:

If I'm remembering correctly that's better than Magnificent ever did. So maybe if the Blackberry ad keeps going, airplay increases, downloads may go up, and we may see a decent chart position for this song. Only time will tell...

Magnificent cracked the top 100 on downloads alone when the album was released, so Crazy has a long way to go before then :wink:

Just to inform, from U2Wanderer:

2009-07-30: News / Releases > A number of retailers are now reporting details for the Crazy Tonight commercial singles. This is a change from the initial report of a single CD release. The release date has also been moved to September 7. Thanks to Z000 from our forums.

7" Vinyl (Catalogue No : #######)
1. Crazy Tonight (Single Version)
2. Crazy Tonight (Dirty South Radio Mix)

CD1 (Catalogue No : 2716226)
2. Magnificent (Live from Somerville Theatre, Boston)

CD2 [Enhanced] (Catalogue No : 2716225)
2. Crazy Tonight (Fish Out Of Water Mix)
3. Crazy Tonight (Dirty South Full Mix)
4. Crazy Tonight (Redanka's Kick The Darkness Vocal Version)
5. Crazy Tonight (Redanka's Sparks Of Light Dub Version)
6. Crazy Tonight (Redanka's Kick The Darkness Instrumental Version)

Just to inform, from U2Wanderer:

The most unappealing U2 single, tracklisting I can recall, well, maybe.. ever... seriously "another 7 mixes of the one song" release? Magnificent Live... or go to U2start and presto! the whole gig in glorious quality...

.... haha can we start taking bets on how long before the CDs get mysteriously 'cancelled' :shifty:

Magnificent cracked the top 100 on downloads alone when the album was released, so Crazy has a long way to go before then :wink:

A quick look at iTunes (in the U.S.) shows:
  • "Crazy" is by far the most downloaded track from NLOTH (with "Magnificent" second - but "Crazy" appears to have been downloaded over twice as much and 4 to 5x as much as "Boots");
  • "Crazy" is the 6th most downloaded U2 song overall;
  • "Crazy" is #51 (as of this writing) on the iTunes rock single chart (it is the second highest U2 song - BD is just above it at #48);
  • Perhaps thanks to this song, NLOTH is #10 on the iTunes rock album chart (the only other U2 album on the iTunes rock chart is U2:18 at #42);
  • Lastly, as of this writing, NLOTH is #58 overall on the main iTunes album chart.

The goal of a single and the tour are to promote the album. While "Crazy" isn't some megahit (at least yet), it seems to be doing quite well on iTunes and it appears to be helping NLOTH as well. :up:

The most unappealing U2 single, tracklisting I can recall, well, maybe.. ever... seriously "another 7 mixes of the one song" release? Magnificent Live... or go to U2start and presto! the whole gig in glorious quality...

.... haha can we start taking bets on how long before the CDs get mysteriously 'cancelled' :shifty:

It is odd to see another group of CD's with nothing but remixes. But then again, for the last few albums, U2 have not released many new b-sides (or even covers). The "Magnificent" CD's did ultimately come to fruition. I not only have the 10-track remix CD, but also the 2-track and 3-track releases. So nothing was cancelled. :)

A quick look at iTunes (in the U.S.) shows:
  • "Crazy" is by far the most downloaded track from NLOTH (with "Magnificent" second - but "Crazy" appears to have been downloaded over twice as much and 4 to 5x as much as "Boots");
  • "Crazy" is the 6th most downloaded U2 song overall;
  • "Crazy" is #51 (as of this writing) on the iTunes rock single chart (it is the second highest U2 song - BD is just above it at #48);
  • Perhaps thanks to this song, NLOTH is #10 on the iTunes rock album chart (the only other U2 album on the iTunes rock chart is U2:18 at #42);
  • Lastly, as of this writing, NLOTH is #58 overall on the main iTunes album chart.

The goal of a single and the tour are to promote the album. While "Crazy" isn't some megahit (at least yet), it seems to be doing quite well on iTunes and it appears to be helping NLOTH as well. :up:

NLOTH is up to # 50 in the US iTunes store. This is the highest I have seen the album in months. The week it leaped from 93 to 76 on Billboard, I saw it at #56 briefly o iTunes (for the week it averaged around 75-80).

We're finally having a bit of good news on the chart-front? That's good, because I was busy not caring about the charts. :wink:

Frankly, I'm surprised Krazy Tonite is doing anything at all on the charts... really, it seems to be helping the album more than Magnificent, which is extremely surprising.

Back
Top Bottom