NLOTH Singles Chart Watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You people are overlooking the obvious. The only reason Queen started selling so well in the early 90s was because of Wayne's World!

You people are overlooking the obvious. The only reason Queen started selling so well in the early 90s was because of Wayne's World!

Yup. Although if you read up it was mentioned a few posts ago. ;) Queen was basically as dead as Freddie Mercury before that movie came out.

Back on topic, I think the dance remixes will definately have a positive impact on Magnificent in the charts. I will be lurking here in the next few weeks to see how it does.

Also, I'm anxiously awaiting the probable upcoming Blackberry ad sometime after the tour begins. That could give a big push to whatever song they spotlight. There hasn't really been any attempt to drive sales of Magnificent here in the U.S.

World music charts have updated the Global Top 100 Singles.

Magnificent rises from 44 to 32...hardly a flop, and I agree, the remixes have raised awareness of the song, which still has not had much promotion.

More surprising to me, though, is Boots, which re-entered last week's chart at 98. This week, it rises ten more spots to 88 in what is now it's 19th week on that chart.

Magnificent holds steady on the U.S. chart "Top 100 Hits online".

Maybe the tour, and the way NLOTH, and the singles, can grow on listeners after several listens, will ultimately result in more sustainable album sales in the two largest markets. It's certainly doing well in just about every other country. Boots is also the Top song in Southeast Asia and several countries in South America. The video apparently caught fire in Asia and parts of South America, allowing for a rediscovery of that song. Not surprisingly, NLOTH is selling well in those countries, too.

World music charts have updated the Global Top 100 Singles.

Magnificent rises from 44 to 32...hardly a flop, and I agree, the remixes have raised awareness of the song, which still has not had much promotion.

More surprising to me, though, is Boots, which re-entered last week's chart at 98. This week, it rises ten more spots to 88 in what is now it's 19th week on that chart.

Magnificent holds steady on the U.S. chart "Top 100 Hits online".

Maybe the tour, and the way NLOTH, and the singles, can grow on listeners after several listens, will ultimately result in more sustainable album sales in the two largest markets. It's certainly doing well in just about every other country. Boots is also the Top song in Southeast Asia and several countries in South America. The video apparently caught fire in Asia and parts of South America, allowing for a rediscovery of that song. Not surprisingly, NLOTH is selling well in those countries, too.

Some good news here, thanks.

Maybe the tour, and the way NLOTH, and the singles, can grow on listeners after several listens, will ultimately result in more sustainable album sales in the two largest markets.

Well you never know. It's encouraging to see the remixes getting club play and the song doing ok on the global chart.

But NLOTH album sales are dropping at an incredible rate in the UK and it's going to take a long time to get to even 1 million in the US. The tour will clearly help, but I wonder how much...

Here's what would make this album rise back up the charts in a hurry in the UK...

1. Release Crazy Tonight as a single. Catchy, upbeat, singable, radio/summer friendly song.
2. Advertise a single release date for the next couple weeks and stick to that release date.
3. Release a separate single with a new mix and a brand new b-side.
4. Put out a physical and iTunes format and release them on the same day.
5. Put up an ad on the front page of Itunes for a couple days "New U2 single w/ remixes, new song!" or whatever.
6. Release a music video the same day as the single.
7. Spend like a week doing some TV appearances of the song in the US and UK.

Guarantee the album would climb back up the charts for a while until the tour gets here. But you know they won't do it.

Really interesting article on Billboard today (for chart watchers, anyways) that goes into detail about how fast the music market is transitioning from "physical" sales to digital, and how that has had an equally fast impact on reducing the purchases of new music versus something considered "back catalog". The entire article can be viewed at http://www.billboard.biz/billboardbiz/photos/pdf/current.pdf

The basic theme is that as retailers lose market share at a very rapid pace, their inventory of "new" albums declines just as quickly, and as more shoppers move to i-tunes, amazon, etc., they have a vast, instant access to songs that span entire decades. The statistics that were sited for 2007 and even more in 2008 were pretty staggering; while digitial music sales continue to climb, new music purchases are not the beneficiary, as folks are increasingly cherry-picking tracks here and there and avoiding the album purchase altogether. The numbers don't lie, and it supports what many others on this forum have been saying. Also, this market change has been underway for a few years now...and 2009 stats look like the change is continuing at an even more rapid pace.

All things considered, NLOTH may be holding up really well as people move away from album purchases. Also, U2's back catalog is probably benefitting from this more than we know...look how TV performances on WOWY or One by other artists result in digital track sales spikes for those songs for a week or so...it totally supports the article in showing that the move to digital sales has hurt new music sales, as customers are more likely to purchase whatever song they heard, and liked, recently, regardless of when it was released, who covered it, etc. In fact, the AI cover versions of songs, like Adam Lambert's version of One, often outsell the original version. For all we know, half the kids buying that song think it's from Adam Lambert.

The industry is changing so fast, and these changes are really hard to keep up with it looks like to me. Bands certainly can't afford to "take risks" with edgy, different, or even "poor" singles releases these days if they want to sell to the masses. Also, I think we are seeing the death of the album as we've known it, which is a shame. As Dr. Who pointed out, though, these things go in cycles, and singles were big in the 50's and 60's, too.

I think this has been posted, but Magnificent shot up from 60 to 34 on the Eurochart Top 100 last week. That was after it's first 3 weeks on the chart, where it appeared to haved debuted at it's peak in the 30's, and had dropped to 51 and 60 in the following weeks. Was all this due to a TV performance of the song by U2 (which was excellent, by the way)? I tend to think that's what did it, along with a few staggered release dates and perhaps the remix effect.

Bottom line is this: consumers don't seem to follow artists loyally anymore, and they are more likely to buy one song at a time, after seeing it performed on some show, circulating around the net via a youtube performance, or perhaps even from some commercial. The awareness level of "new albums" being released by certain artists seems to be moving towards irrelevance...and successful artists going forward will have to adapt.

Personally, I like following U2 on the charts, but I don't really care at this point if they try to keep up with the times or stick to making great albums that I can listen to from track 1-11. I think it's kinda sad to see these current trends, as I really think many people are missing out on what really makes listening to music great...full length albums that flow from song to song, telling a story, or having a theme, or just sounding great as they are arranged in the optimal tracklisting order. Perhaps the economic meltdown has something to do with folks buying one song at a time versus an entire album, but the article sites trends that started showing up way before the financial crisis began in earnest last Fall.

Anyway, I found the article interesting. I hope someone else does, too. :wave:

^Then there is some hope for NLOTH or at least the songs from NLOTH.

Once the tour starts, U2 will probably play their usual 6-9 songs from the new album (depending on the night, the set-list, yada).

NLOTH hasn't been overplayed. So some people may here these songs for the first time (as radio hasn't been that kind to U2 - see the Yahoo article about the possible black-listing of U2). People will hear "Magnificent" or "Crazy" or "Breathe" and realize how great these songs are. This can cause a spike in either the song downloads (cherry picking) or album downloads. And any promotion for the tour, where a song or two is featured on the radio or preferably TV, will also increase downloads.

It will be interesting to see what the tour brings.

that is true good doctor.....

while U2's last album had Vertigo become a massive hit (had downloads counted, I'm positive top 10...but it did make it to 33 regardless); HTDAAB saw record 1st week numbers.....and was fairly strong due to U2 promoting the crap out of it for the first few months. Then the tour gave it some boost.

NLOTH has had a Letterman performance, and that's it. Boots (I love the song btw) was a modest hit in the larger markets. Mag is about the same.

When the tour hits, there will be a lot more buzz....especially if the shows are sold out, and the set is a big hit *it's already big*

This album is a grower to listen, and maybe it can be a grower in sales as well. Who knows.

interesting article claiming that radio boy-cotted u2 and 'boots' taking away from the success of 'boots' as the lead single from NLOTH after Bono made remarks about how radio should pay artists royalties in April....apparently they have filed a complaint...interesting rumour. I think 'Boots' and "magnificent' should have been massive hits as they cater well to the new generation and I think both are radio friendly....this would explain the lack of airplay.

U2 victims of radio boycott?

and

Did Petulant Radio Programmers Take Off U2’s “Boots” After Bono Spoke Up About Royalties? ? Idolator: Music News, Reviews, And Gossip

The alternative station in Toronto (102.1), stopped playing Magnificent despite it being number 18 in its own Top 30 countdown.

I do admit magnificent did dissapear for some reason from radio stations here such as nova and triple m. Very strange....

On another note the magnificent ep's are finally available on australian itunes and are charting quite well......

everyone get over there and snap them up!!

Magnificent remixes jump from 16 to 9 on Billboard "Hot Dance Club Play" chart, so it's still making relatively big jumps on it's 4th week, and may give Magnificent a #1 on BB afterall.

Magnificent also remains at #2 on Adult Rock/AAA, for the 15th straight week!

The remixes remain in the Top 10 (#9) on "Hot Dance Singles Sales" chart

Magnificent is at #12 on the "Overall Singles Sales Chart"

Again, I think it's obvious that this only helps one song's popularity/awareness, especially after reading the article posted above about how digital sales have actually hurt album/new music sales. Still, it can't hurt U2 to get exposed to the U.S. Club scene with a remix of a great song...and that exposure only keeps increasing for now. The songs on that chart are near the Top of the BB Hot 100, so it does mirror the overall popularity of songs in the U.S. Sadly, Magnificent itself didn't get as much exposure outside of the "usual" U2 formats.

The alternative station in Toronto (102.1), stopped playing Magnificent despite it being number 18 in its own Top 30 countdown.

Hardly a conspiracy theory here - this is more fact. The song is a hit, and suddenly it's gone?

In sales, a song or album can have dramatic jumps (up or down), but in terms of airplay, a song rarely drops from the Top 20 to not being played at all.

Clearly something went on here and it sounds like Bono's opinion - an opinion that would help everyone BUT U2 - got them screwed over.

This is why I don't listen to radio. If anyone from radio reads this - yep, I stopped years ago. When I listen to a "station", it's Sirius satellite radio. Normal radio won't ever be played again. And with the advent of iPods and downloads and soon a Sirius app for the iPhone/iPod Touch, the days of music on regular radio might also be drawing to a close.

The 13-track MP3 version was #1 on Masterbeat.com this morning, but now seems to have been overtaken by Britney Spears.

https://www.masterbeat.com/release.aspx?code=U2MAG

I checked out this website...claims to be the authority on Club Music and Remixes. Masterbeat's June 30, 2009 edition (in print???), has a chart called "The Top Summber BBQ Songs 2009". You can find it on that website by clicking "charts" or "playlists".

Anyway, Dave Aude's Club Mix of Magnificent is #1. More good publicity for U2, although not exactly mainstream. Funny, this is the type of chart that would matter to the "Pop" era of U2 lovers. For all those who hated on U2 for their first two albums of this decade for being "sellouts", too commercial, etc., then I guess NLOTH marks a return to form. Who knows. I am a fan of the U2 era that goes from 1980-2009, but to each his own.

World Music Charts updated June 14:

Magnificent slips from 32 to 38 on World Top 100 Singles Chart
Boots continues to rise...up 3 to 86...on the strength of it's video and radio play in Asia, where it's currently up to #8 on MTV's Top 20 video and radio airplay chart for that region.

On the U.S. Top 100 Hits online, Magnificent seems to have peaked for the 2nd time, as the last 3 week run has been 15-15-18. "Boom Boom Pow" is still #1 on this chart, as it is on the Hot 100.

Crazy Tonight has been released in a few countries on CD as the "Dirty South Remix", seemingly another effort to get NLOTH remixes into the club scene. It's almost if U2 has dropped out of the traditional singles release process, opting instead for online activity through YouTube, their website, online radio streaming, etc. While they have had some relative success this way, it doesn't really appear to be helping NLOTH in the U.S. or UK. The album, and select songs/remixes, is doing very well, though, in many smaller countries around the world.

Yes, in Australia, being released to DJ's who would be likely to play it in Dance Clubs. I listened to it and first impression is not good...but was not in stereo on in nightclub, where it may sound great, who knows. Maybe this does in fact point to Crazy Tonight being the next single, though.

Billboard today:

Magnificent back up to #5 from #9 on "Hot Dance Singles Sales" chart
Up to #12 on overall Hot Singles Sales Chart
Up one spot to #8 on Hot Club Play Chart
Debuts on a new chart called "Rock Top 50" at #33 (has been added to 2 new stations on Mediabase Rock format, too)
Finally slips on Triple A from #2 to #4
Europe Top Airplay Chart
Current run is 24-15-15-13-13-13-10-11-12 (this week)

It's on a few other charts, but I no longer have the online access. If it's anything surprising, I'll post it next week when the print edition arrives.

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere in this forum...straight from U2.com:

"Go Crazy
17 June 2009

U2's new single, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, will be released on August 17th by Mercury.

This is the third single from No Line On The Horizon which debuted at No.1 in 28 countries when it was released in March.

The talented Irish animation film-maker David O'Reilly has been commissioned to create a video for I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight. David O'Reilly won the 2009 Golden Bear at Berlinale for his animated short film Please Say Something.

The band are currently gearing up for their much anticipated the 360 Tour which is set to start in Barcelona later this month."

It looks like U2 are going to try to keep this album around all the way into next November for the Christmas 2009 selling season. August 17 sure does seem like a long way from now. At least the Magnificent remixes have given the song a slightly extended chart life, and one thing I did notice when posting the album positions from around the world was that Magnificent was indeed charting in a number of those countries listed...in several cases, it was rising slowly up a country's Top 50 or 100 Singles chart...rather than showing a high debut followed by a rapid fall.

On the Eurochart Top 100, though, after rebounding from 60 to 34, Magnificent slips to 48 this week (or last week, not sure). It's still in the Top 15 in all of Europe with respect to Airplay, however, and the Eurochart is a sales chart per the following:

Eurochart Hot 100 Singles
The Eurochart Hot 100 Singles is compiled by Music & Media and based on national singles sales charts of the following European territories: Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Germany, Denmark, Spain, France, Finland, Flanders, Greece, Italy, Ireland, Norway, Holland, Portugal, Poland, Sweden, United Kingdom, Wallony.

The World Top 100 Singles Chart, where Magnificent is at #38 and Boots at #86, is also based on sales. Boots re-entered 3 weeks ago at #98, then jumped to #88 and now #86. I don't specifically know of a unique singles strategy for Asia, but that's where Boots is getting the love with sales, video play, and airplay. Maybe it was just a late bloomer, and while Magnificent did not get the downloads, it has gotten respectable airplay around the Globe.

The tour could really jumpstart airplay for Crazy Tonight, as I still believe it's the most radio-friendly song on NLOTH. It looks like they are going to stick with 4 singles as originally reported, too. That would mean that the 4th single would drop around the October/November timeframe, which will coincide with the U.S. tour, which can only help in their push for the album to gain traction again during the holiday selling season.

If it were up to me, I'd release an EP in November and bundle it with NLOTH...or buy one, get the other free/discounted...something to really promote the album. We haven't really seen or heard much from U2 since the week on Letterman/Today Show here in the U.S., so perhaps consumers would be receptive to going out and buying the "new U2 album NLOTH"...as with the right promotion/tour/hit single, I think their will be a lot of casual fans who will think just that since the March release came and went w/o much fanfare, IMO, and at a time when many U.S. folks were panicked as their retirements/homes/jobs went up in smoke, and the stock market was hitting a multi-year low the same week U2's album came out.

OK, I'm rambling, but maybe NLOTH can get a "2nd life", which is not unprecedented for U2 albums. If Crazy does break out in the U.S., and any or all the above mentioned events do have a significant impact (not to mention awards nominations), then who knows what could happen with NLOTH sales. Just have a feeling that this album is not finished yet.

France Hot 100 Singles Chart

Magnificent up from 38 to 35 in it's 5th week on the chart
Boots moves from 41 to 46 in it's 15th week " " "

"MTV Asia Hitlist
The MTV Asia HitList Chart is compiled from record sales & radio airplay around South East Asia."

Boots has peaked, falling from 8 to 12 in it's 8th week on this chart
Magnificent, however, debuts at #16 this week

Canadian Top 20 singles chart

June 11 edition:

Magnificent (remixes) slips from 12 to 16 in it's 3rd week...not sure where it debuted.

Chart source: Neilson Soundscan

I have a feeling Crazy Tonight will be this albums big hit. Its such a feel good summer tune.

in terms of generating a 'summer' hit, yes the song needs to be out right away, (june release like Elevation & COBL) but its too soon after magnificent too release now. the problem of a march album release.

in terms of generating a 'summer' hit, yes the song needs to be out right away, (june release like Elevation & COBL) but its too soon after magnificent too release now. the problem of a march album release.

Magnificent did nothing and is pretty much gone now in the UK and US though, release the song to radio now and release the CD in August, the song just needs to be on radio maybe then the album can rebound a little and the song can slowly climb itunes in time for the august release were it might actually do something

Hopefully they get the video finished and out within a month so the song can get decent promotion

Back
Top Bottom