NLOTH Album Reviews Pt 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I get the impression that this album will be grouped with ATYCLB and HTDAAB (not a bad thing). It's not exactly the same, but it's on the same foundations in theme, especially when you consider the differences between ATYCLB and HTDAAB. They are similar, but they have subtle differences. For me this situation is similar to the grouping of AB, Zooropa and Pop and TUF, TJT and RAH. Does this make sense? Ok perhaps not, maybe just to me.:wink:

That other quote that you have there is interesting. It talks about some guy "constantly listening to the album". How is that possible if its not out yet?
Maybe some people already have copies of it, and hence a leak could happen??? :shrug:
Yeah, I mentioned this in another post - I think a leak is about to happen - all it takes is someone to leave it lying around or "borrow" it and that's it...Elvis leaves the building...

Single releases don't really matter anymore. Not in the day of iTunes where people just pick and choose what they want off an album anyway.

I think they do, I mean people pick and choose but the songs most people pick are the singles that are played on the radio

Singles now of days are whatever songs get played on the radio

Yeah, I think that's true to a degree. But it is still possible for groups to have big radio hits, and I think it would be good if the album release and the album itself gets associated with Magnificent in the public's mind, rather than Crazy Tonight, which while potentially a good track, is going to fit a little too well into the rest of their 00s oeuvre.

let's wait til we hear both in their entirety before drawing conclusions like this.

besides, magnificent has repeatedly been described as the most u2-sounding of the new songs.

It's by Neil McCormick for the Daily Telegraph.

He's not really reviewing the album, says there's an "embargo" on it, which I don't understand, because we've had reviews already.

I liked the part about talking to other journalists about the album:

Those are exclusives. Its a marketing deal basically. U2 gives a media publication an exclusive for the review in their country/region, and in exchange that media publication pimps the shit out of the review so that it creates buzz for the album.

Also I'm not sure if everything we have seen technically qualifies as a review. There have been a lot of previews without actual ratings.

Single releases don't really matter anymore. Not in the day of iTunes where people just pick and choose what they want off an album anyway.

I think its quite the opposite. Non-singles don't really matter anymore. Of course, if they do a rousing performance of a non-single song live on Letterman, then it might matter *a little*. And in general, most people who are going to buy a U2 song are in it for the albums and not just the singles.

let's wait til we hear both in their entirety before drawing conclusions like this.

besides, magnificent has repeatedly been described as the most u2-sounding of the new songs.

Fair enough, but at this point we've heard 45 seconds of each (as well as beach clips of both--I've seriously had Magnificent stuck in my head for months, which is a good sign for the song's longevity). I think it's pretty clear what we're looking at in both cases here. I've heard people describe Magnificent as the "most U2-ish" song, but in a world where great U2 songs are held up so highly, this can only be a good thing. Also, it has a fantastic, driving, trance-like beat that while similar in concept to Streets, doesn't really sound like anything they've put out before. Add a maddeningly simple and effective riff from the Edge that is as hummable as the chorus, and you have pure gold. I honestly think he may have come up with a riff as memorable as I Still Haven't Found. I believe it is that effective, and I think this song will stand the test of time to the degree only one other song from this decade has/will--Beautiful Day. I've been blabbering about the glory of Magnificent for months now and I've been written off by most for doing it prematurely, but there's something in that song that is eternal.

Fair enough, but at this point we've heard 45 seconds of each (as well as beach clips of both--I've seriously had Magnificent stuck in my head for months, which is a good sign for the song's longevity). I think it's pretty clear what we're looking at in both cases here. I've heard people describe Magnificent as the "most U2-ish" song, but in a world where great U2 songs are held up so highly, this can only be a good thing. Also, it has a fantastic, driving, trance-like beat that while similar in concept to Streets, doesn't really sound like anything they've put out before. Add a maddeningly simple and effective riff from the Edge that is as hummable as the chorus, and you have pure gold. I honestly think he may have come up with a riff as memorable as I Still Haven't Found. I really think it's that effective, and I think this song will stand the test of time to the degree only one other song from this decade has/will--Beautiful Day. I've been blabbering about the glory of Magnificent for months now and I've been written off by most for doing it prematurely, but there's something in that song that is eternal I think.

yeah I'm with you here. the song is glorious. :up:

Fair enough, but at this point we've heard 45 seconds of each (as well as beach clips of both--I've seriously had Magnificent stuck in my head for months, which is a good sign for the song's longevity). I think it's pretty clear what we're looking at in both cases here. I've heard people describe Magnificent as the "most U2-ish" song, but in a world where great U2 songs are held up so highly, this can only be a good thing. Also, it has a fantastic, driving, trance-like beat that while similar in concept to Streets, doesn't really sound like anything they've put out before. Add a maddeningly simple and effective riff from the Edge that is as hummable as the chorus, and you have pure gold. I honestly think he may have come up with a riff as memorable as I Still Haven't Found. I really think it's that effective, and I think this song will stand the test of time to the degree only one other song from this decade has/will--Beautiful Day. I've been blabbering about the glory of Magnificent for months now and I've been written off by most for doing it prematurely, but there's something in that song that is eternal I think.

I couldn't agree more. Even with the crap sound quality of the beach clip, I listened to that song over and over and couldn't get it out of my head. I think it's easily more memorable and magical than anything else they've done this decade, and really, since "Gone," for me.

Can't wait to hear it in high quality sound. Nothing I've heard in terms of the 30 sec or 22 sec previous has diminished that, either.

I couldn't agree more. Even with the crap sound quality of the beach clip, I listened to that song over and over and couldn't get it out of my head. I think it's easily more memorable and magical than anything else they've done this decade, and really, since "Gone," for me.

Can't wait to hear it in high quality sound. Nothing I've heard in terms of the 30 sec or 22 sec previous has diminished that, either.

Glad there are more of us out there! I'm actually not usually one to listen to a beach clip more than a couple times, but I couldn't lay off Magnificent (or "Only Love" as it was known then). After the album comes out, I am going to return to read my posts around the time of the beach clip leak and see how they line up with my current feelings.

Oh, and another reason why this song is so great--a perfect mix of dark and brooding which somehow also manages to be a monster torch-bearer. Amazing stuff.

And good point about the song not being diminished by any level of shitty sound quality: that can only be a good thing.

Even more important. The song is called Magnificent and it is magnificent. Most people would fall flat on their face if they named a blah song Magnificent.

just what is the reasoning behind an "embargo" on reviews until a certain date?
]this embargo is common for major releases these days even it´s about the most important Universal Music release 2009. the actual reviews are mostly because they were invited to the listening session and wrote about their first impression which aren´t something with a bith worth. because U2 albums needs more than one listen. but we all can expect that the first reviews float in by monday or tuesday because the album is right on its via to the editors offices.

Just my subscription copy of Word magazine here in the UK (I think the most credible music mag alongside Q a little more serious and highbrow music-wise) and they have a full review of the album and Bruce's new album over a big 2 page article... reading it now.. no star system but overall very good review..

Just my subscription copy of Word magazine here in the UK (I think the most credible music mag alongside Q a little more serious and highbrow music-wise) and they have a full review of the album and Bruce's new album over a big 2 page article... reading it now.. no star system but overall very good review..

Wow, great news. Any bits you can share will be very much appreciated. :up:

It's a long article..

"......when Bono announces "Hey sexy boots/I don't want to talk about wars between the nations" during Get On Your Boots .. he's staing the album's humble mantra. Indeed, this is the first U2 outing whos songs are populated by a cast of characters, be it the solider in White As Snow, the broken war correspondant in Cedars Of Lebanon or the refugee of Fez - Being Born. Predictably, Bono turns out to be a master yarn-spinner, but No Line On The Horizon's defining moment turns out to be the seven languid, unambiguously beautiful minutes of Moment Of Surrender. There's a Mark Knopfler-like guitar solo, a soul-searching, understated lyric and the spine-tingling, slow-moving grace that last showed on One. This, by any yardstick is great music, it's everything U2 set out to be"

bear in mind this is from a serious often critical muso-mag..

It's a long article..

"......when Bono announces "Hey sexy boots/I don't want to talk about wars between the nations" during Get On Your Boots .. he's staing the album's humble mantra. Indeed, this is the first U2 outing whos songs are populated by a cast of characters, be it the solider in White As Snow, the broken war correspondant in Cedars Of Lebanon or the refugee of Fez - Being Born. Predictably, Bono turns out to be a master yarn-spinner, but No Line On The Horizon's defining moment turns out to be the seven languid, unambiguously beautiful minutes of Moment Of Surrender. There's a Mark Knopfler-like guitar solo, a soul-searching, understated lyric and the spine-tingling, slow-moving grace that last showed on One. This, by any yardstick is great music, it's everything U2 set out to be"

bear in mind this is from a serious often critical muso-mag..

Jim--you are the man! Thank you.

Considering the source (Word), this is really great news.

Quick question: does he have a copy he's been spinning, or was this review based on one of the Universal listening parties?

Man, I would not envy being in the position to review an album only on a few days of listening. It took me weeks if not months to get into Achtung, and it took me even more time to get into Pop. I know I wouldn't be able to give a fair review of those albums without some distance from the release date. Hell, I still don't know what I think about HTDAAB entirely.

"The sinewy Stand Up Comedy ("be careful of small men with big ideas", indeed) is almost a dabble with dance; Unknown Caller has a giant, stadium friendly "oh-oh-oh" chorus stentorian keyboards; I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight is nimble-footed fluff and the glorious Breathe's "Walk out, into the sunburst street/Sing your hear out, sing my heart out/I've found grace inside the sound" is probably the likliest indicator of their current mindset"

Thanks for typing the review, it's probably the first 'real' review we are getting. Those from listening parties were not really proper reviews IMO, more a way to generate hype.

"Nods to the past abound: you'll hear New Year's Day in the title track; the much inferior Desire on Stand Up Comedy, 11 O'Clock Tick Tockon Unknown Caller and the more recent Vertigo whenever the wind gets in their hair. At the death, though, the ghostly Cedars Of Lebanon maked for a most discomforting closer, concluding with the most un-Bono-like (and ungrammatical) reminder that your enemies are "gonna last with you longer that your friend". As ever, there's a darkness on the edge of U2 town."

Thanks for typing the review, it's probably the first 'real' review we are getting. Those from listening parties were not really proper reviews IMO, more a way to generate hype.

So this is definitely not based off of a listening party? I didn't think so, but I wanted to check since I didn't know that journalists already had copies.

In essence those are the sections focusse specifically on the new album. There's lots of discussion around the whole history of U2 and the producers, Rick Rubin etc. etc. They say earlier on in the article:

"Yes, they (U2 and Bruce) have their annoying moments. Perhaps the only thing as soul sappingly predictable as a U2 song called Moment Of Surrender is a Springsteen one called Outlaw Pete. Yes, they have their flab. U2's Magnificent os a hoary clunker and Bono gets so bored during I'll Go Crazy If I don't Go Crazy Tonight that he wheels out a "baby baby baby" line; which Springsteen....etc.etc."

I loved this bit:

"..Nobody sentient would regard these as either acts best album, but one of the main reasons for their longevity is that U2 and Springsteen are beyond "best" albums. As ten fans and you'll get ten different answers (NB: this theory may not stand up under rigourous examination) alrhough none of them will be Pop or Devils And Dust. Instead they are welcome additions to mostly glowing canons, records worth luxuriating in"

So this is definitely not based off of a listening party? I didn't think so, but I wanted to check since I didn't know that journalists already had copies.

It doesn't specify in the article.

Back
Top Bottom