NLOTH Album Reviews Pt 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No less than a hostile uproar can be expected as a consequence of the drug I take-the substance I live off and the lands it takes me to... My heroin, my hero. The legendary U2, however, are apparently too uncool for school.
Yet little do my classmates understand that it is this very group that left behind footsteps Coldplay and the killers can only stumble to sink their feet into... so go on, give it a go yourself, dig your teeth into the gorgeous sound of no line on the horizon: sway to the infectious beats whilst the epic chants within drench you in a downfall of pounding melodies and ambitious sounds, punching through your speakers and shooting into the atmosphere, now a sonic wonderland, an open landscape where the music can reign free as you ride into the sunset on the wild horses that emerge from the chiming guitar of Horizons second track, magnificent: a mystical synergy of passionate vocals and a striking drum beat that sustains a level of energy in this story of love and beauty: ‘’only love...can leave such a mark...’’ proclaims vocalist Bono, engaging his listeners as their adrenaline kicks off into outer space. This is rock...from another planet.
I’m 14, and one of a minority. We’re the proud outcasts in that so few of my generation will give bands like U2 a chance. This is a heads up to you lot out there: perhaps it’s time to give them that chance?
Adrian Pole
Ady(Pole)
(On U2-No line on the horizon is out on the 25feb/3&2ndMarch 09)

You remind me of myself when I was your age, a grand whopping two years ago (well, I turn 16 in a few days). Judge for yourself whether or not that's a good thing. :wink:

But it's always good to see a fellow teenage U2 fan. :up:

Here's my song-by-song review after first listen:

1- No Line On The Horizon (4:12): Great opening track. Powerful, solid and it could be a great concert opener. Love the backing vocals. Listen careful to that "Fly" guitar. 9/10

2- Magnificent (5:24): When I first heared the first bars, I thought "What the hell? is this U2 doing Sabbath's Iron Man?" :D
The riff at 0:45 is really COLDPLAY-like sounding!. Surely it will be a single. It's really a great song. Everything's good in here, specially Edge's slide solo: 10/10

3- Moment Of Surrender (7:24): First of all, this song has NOTHING in common with Surrender from War album. It's lengthy as well, but it's slow, with a sort of "Passengers" feeling. Bono starts singing at 1:17, and I really don't like his vocals entry at all. The slow song is dominated by percussion loops and keyboards, and a piano more distant in the mix. I never liked that larynx-throat kind of rough singing @ 3 AM after drinking and smoking, pretty much like "In A Little While" or "Man And A Woman". In a word: CRAP. If he can give the best on the song, then rest some days and record another vocal take!. The song itself is boring, and goes nowhere, without a brigde or chord progressions, it's all the same melody: 3/10

4- Unknown Caller (6:02): The start of the songs reminds me a bit of Pink Floyd's "Take It Back". But then is another song, and so far, the best backing "ooohhh" of the album. It's a mid tempo song, with Larry playing like "Running To Stand Still". The chorus is a highlight, and there's a nice bridge at the middle of the song.
... and we have another Edge's guitar solo! :applaud: 8/10

5- I'll Go Crazy (4:14): This sounds absolutely refreshing and beautiful, I dig this tune. The drums sound could have been better (too dry for my taste, like a marching drum). There's a nice change in the middle, and the strings arrangements like War album suit perfectly. 9/10

6- Get On Your Boots (3:25): The more I listen to this "song" the more I think "what the hell is doing this junk on the album"?. After I'll Go Crazy, this is an abomination, a rupture from the unity of the previous songs. CRAP, crap on toast. 1/10

7- Stand Up Comedy (3:49): Another rocker song, but with a stronger riff and quite catchier feeling ... until chorus. Up to that point, the song was going well, but the chorus is really, really bad. It's clear this song came from hours of jamming and rehearsing, because it lacks direction. Even with ALL sort of guitar effects, the song goes nowhere 3/10

8- FEZ-Being Born (5:17): First bars ... "mmm ... is this Moment Of Surrender part 2?" After a minute of filler, the real song starts. This is another overproduced and underwritten song. All those Bono's screams are completely unnecessary. At 3:27, neverthless, the song delivers. Love that moment with all those voices singing. But the last part of the song (from 4:17) is really from another song, lacking cohesiveness 5/10

9- White As Snow (4:41): The title suggest it: This is a slow song, but it's really nice. Sadly, the guitar work is absolutely uninspired and sort of ideas. It's a song you can listen to, but you can live without it as well. 6/10

10- Breathe (5:00): Is this as good as Pink Floyd's? Well, this song couldn't be more different than Floyd's. Bono doing Dylan. It sounds different and quite risky, I like it. It's not U2 by numbers. 8/10

11- Cedars Of Levanon (4:13) another song that reminds me "passengers". I dare to say that this is perhaps their greatest album ending since at least "Wake Up Dead Man". I think THIS is the direction U2 should take, like a mature band, playing great material, without thinking or struggling to play stupid "rockstar" crap like Vertigo or Boots. Simply a masterpiece 10/10

Overall: As you can tell, I have mixed feelings for a mixed bag. Not their "third masterpiece", but has its moments

No Line on the Horizon: You can hear a lot of Eno work on this one, meaning that it's very spacy and ambient at times but unmistakably U2. Bono channels the 80's on his vocal take and it works here. The verses flow nicely into the chorus leading up to the obligatory Oh-oh-oh bridge in the middle of the song. Good song that's indicative of what's to follow for the rest of the album. It's a more complex song than Vertigo, and for the first time since Zooropa (1993), the lead single is not the first song on the album.

Magnificent: An electronic intro that will be sure to remind some people of the Killers, which is ironic because the Killers remind many of U2. Regardless, the intro leads into a familiar Edge guitar work using his delay pedal. The drumming and rhythm carry this song. The melody is subtle and builds up perfectly into the chorus. This will likely be the second or third single. On the U2 fanboards out there, this is many people's favorite. The melody and delivery of the final part of the chorus leading to the bridge and end of the song is one of my favorite moments on the album, "Just a fight till we die, you and I will magnify, oh oh oh Magnificent"

Moment of Surrender: One of U2's longest songs, clocking in at 7:24. Amazingly, this was recorded in just one take. And I say amazingly and mean it because this is a band that, for just this album, mixed five, re-recorded three and ditched two songs in the final 24 hours of making this album. They will tinker and toy with anything and everything. And the fact that they didn't on this one is excellent. Bono's voice sounds better than it has since probably the ZooTV days on this one. A very moody and reflective song that the piano, bass and drums carry throughout. Early reviews that called it the "new One" are mistaken. And I don't mean that from a quality standpoint, they are just two very different songs. The verses melody is full of desperation and gives way to almost a hymnal chorus. The song does not feel like it's 7 and a half minutes long. In my opinion it will go down as one of their finest songs when the dust settles. Not an easily accessible song, but already one of my favorites off the album. Again one of my favorite moments after the last chorus, I did not notice the passers by and they did not notice me giving away to again the obligatory Oh-Oh-Oh with a great keyboard arrangement in the back.

Unknown Caller: Completing one of the longest streak of U2 songs on an album, following Magnificent (5:24), Moment of Surrender (7:26), Unknown Caller comes in at 6:03. A very subtle and quiet opening which does indeed have bird sounds from the riad where they recorded this in Fez above Edge's familiar chiming guitar. Bono said the song was about a man at the end of the rope when his cell phone buzzes the man instructions. Obviously, with the 3:33 in the morning when the numbers fell off the clock face, the "Unknown Caller" is God. Some excellent lyrics and a great delivery really depict the tired frame of mind. The group chant chorus also works well, even if it's a bit funny and has a Mac shout out "Force Quit! And move to trash!" The song has one of the Edge's better solo's that he's done. The organ preceding adds a lot to the song. I chalk that to Daniel Lanois. Not an easy song to get into at first, definitely a grower, but there is a lot going on and in the end, it works well.

I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight: After two long, moody songs full of atmosphere, here comes likely the second or third single. It's easily one of U2's more joyous songs and the "happiest" song since Beautiful Day. It's a great pop song. People who were fans of the last two albums will likely flock to this song. It's unmistakably U2, with an interesting melody in the verses that won't immediately stick with you, but it's very very good. A bit of self-depreciation from Bono with "The right to be ridiculous is something I hold dear." Amen. The chorus is not how I expected it to sound, and I mean that in a great way. The song climaxes nicely after a small Edge solo (you know, the 3 or 4 note one we're accustomed to by him Wink ), before erupting nicely into the prechorus that sticks nicely and finally "We'll shout out into the darkness, squeeze out sparks of light, You know we'll go crazy if we don't go crazy tonight." I had my doubts on this one just by the name of it, but it's a very very well done pop song.

Get on Your Boots: Interesting that it was the lead single. Aside from I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Crazy Tonight it is probably the most accessible track on the album. Some people will say it reminds them of Vertigo, which I guess is fair since it's a bass driven song, but it's not completely fair. It's got a more complex chorus which is one of the more interestingly layered ones they've done this decade. The "Meet me in the sound" breakdown is still super cool in my book. It's a fun rock song with lyrics that aren't throwaway. Not my favorite off the album, but I still really enjoy the song.

Stand Up Comedy Funky rock song. Reminds me a lot of "Come Together" by the Beatles. The lyrics are a bit obvious, probably the most obvious on the record, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Bono said it was about beating down hypocrisy. Self depreciation mode again: Stand Up to rock stars, Napolean is in high heels, Josephine be careful of small men with big ideas." Despite being very direct and preachy to an extent (not as bad as you'd think), it's one of my favorites off the album. Very funky, very rock, and not like the typical U2 rock song, but it is at the same time.

Fez-- Being Born: Definitely the most experimental track. For anybody familiar with U2's back catalogue, think Unforgettable Fire meets Zooropa. Samples the "Let me in the sound" from the aforementioned Get On Your Boots before switching gears from sounds from the city of Fez with a drum loop and electronic noises into a funky electronic song, the "Being Born" part of it. The lyrics are used almost as an instrument in this song. But if you actually discern them, they're very good. Bono really is in top form on this album, both with his voice and with his lyrics.

White as Snow: The first thing I thought of when I heard the intro to this was Kid A by Radiohead. It gives way to one of the tracks where Bono sings from character; a dying soldier in Afghanistan. Very intimate song, and one that you'll either love or hate. I'm leaning more towards the love side (shocking, I know.) A different style for U2, almost like a country song. The melody is partially taken from "O Come O Come Emmanuel." At first I didn't like it, but it's definitely grown on me on only my first few listens.

Breathe: I was anticipating this, Magnificent and Moment of Surrender the most. Trip hop beat and cello opening give way to grunge guitar and ranting verses. Dylan-esque delivery on the verse. The guitar and cello amazingly work well. Of course, they're no stranger to strings in rock songs. (Hold me, Thrill me, Kiss me, Kill Me.) Contains some of my favorite lyrics and melodies, "Every day I die again and again and reborn; Every day I have to find the courage to walk out into the street, with arms out, got a love you can't defeat, neither down, nor out, there's nothing you have that I need, I can breathe." In only a way that U2 can seemingly do, they turn an angry song into one of their most uplifting chorus'. This will be a song that is a staple live. Sounds silly, but a cello breakdown in the middle of the song? Awesome. The Edge's guitar takes off on this song as well.

Cedars of Lebanon: After a heavy rock song, the album comes to a subtle close. A spoken word style of singing as Bono sings in character of a war correspondent. Haunting and chilly is one way to describe it. "Return the call to home" breakup a few times in the song reminds me a lot of Radiohead. Not an immediately accessible song. Full of atmosphere and definitely not radio friendly. The album concludes with one of my favorite lines: "Choose your enemies carefully, cause they will define you; Make them interesting because in some ways they will mind you; They're not there in the beginning but when the story ends; Gonna last with you longer than your friends." In my opinion, it's their best album closer since Love is Blindness on Achtung Baby.

On a whole, I obviously can't rank it yet against the rest of their history. It's far too early for that. That said, I am confident it will stand the test of time and wind up as their third masterpiece next to the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. Every time you listen to it, you pick up on something else. That can be credited to the Lanois and Eno production team. The album will be a grower. And that's a good thing, after two very direct albums. U2 change, and they've not only changed up musically progressed with this album as well. The single-oriented fans and casual fans will not immediately be happy with this album. Fans of U2 from the 80's and 90's who haven't been keen on the past two offerings should be very satisfied with this album. Fortunately for me, I like the 80's, 90's and 00's offerings. Their latest is no let down and has surpassed my expectations. Well done, U2, you did it again.

For the iPod generation and the people who will only want to hear the quick, in your face songs, I suggest: Magnificent, Stand Up Comedy, I'll Go Crazy if I don't go Crazy Tonight and Breathe. For the fans that are after an actual album, enjoy what should be hailed in four or five years, if not now, as their third true masterpiece. Also, this is easily U2's most spiritual album since October. And I love it even more for that.

Nice review.:up:

I'll say this- I work with a guy who does something in the music biz in his spare time. We were talking about new records today, and his horrific taste in Creed, Linkin Park, and others, and he said "You know, through XXXXXXXX, I heard the new U2 record.............and it is really, really good. I mean, I was blown away."

And this is a guy fully indifferent to U2, who (as stated) has more of a liking for Creed. :angry:

I found that take very heartening- those are the most objective reviewers out there....

Good sign :up:

Wow, I think that NLOTH is just beautiful. I won't stop smiling for a long time with this one. I didn't listen to any clips and read very few reviews, so I could be surprised and
I would say after 3 listens that Magnificent, NLOTH, and for some reason, I LOVE Fez! I also think Stand Up Comedy and Breathe are going to be awesome. Honestly, I really enjoyed every song... this didn't happen for me on HTDAAB or ATYCLB... so I am genuinely excited. Bono's voice is sounding strong and incredible, and I love all the sounds I heard. Right now is the first time in the headphones... and it is even more beautiful.

Thank you U2 :heart:

"Restart and re-boot yourself" is an apt lyric.

... snip ...

"I don't wanna be in a crap band, and the minute U2 becomes a crap band, we're, you know, we're all out of here. And crap does not mean, it's not measured in sales, or even relevance, it's about the sense of adventure, is it still there, are you still blowing your own mind, are you still growing as a musician, and as a songwriter, and as a person, and I think, I think that in U2 we are, right now."

I posted this quote recently and said that more than anything else, I hoped this album would prove that the spirit of that quote is still alive in Bono and the rest of the band. It has, with flying colors. I think they blew their own minds again. They've certainly blown mine. And in that respect, they've rebooted themselves.

I agree with your entire review...spot on from my perspective. I quoted the selection above because it's exactly where I was prior to this album. I don't think much of the past two albums and Bono's quote about the two album rule has been on my mind quite a bit over the past few years. This album is a huge relief. They have reset the counter :D

Here's my song-by-song review after first listen:

1- No Line On The Horizon (4:12): Great opening track. Powerful, solid and it could be a great concert opener. Love the backing vocals. Listen careful to that "Fly" guitar. 9/10

2- Magnificent (5:24): When I first heared the first bars, I thought "What the hell? is this U2 doing Sabbath's Iron Man?" :D
The riff at 0:45 is really COLDPLAY-like sounding!. Surely it will be a single. It's really a great song. Everything's good in here, specially Edge's slide solo: 10/10

3- Moment Of Surrender (7:24): First of all, this song has NOTHING in common with Surrender from War album. It's lengthy as well, but it's slow, with a sort of "Passengers" feeling. Bono starts singing at 1:17, and I really don't like his vocals entry at all. The slow song is dominated by percussion loops and keyboards, and a piano more distant in the mix. I never liked that larynx-throat kind of rough singing @ 3 AM after drinking and smoking, pretty much like "In A Little While" or "Man And A Woman". In a word: CRAP. If he can give the best on the song, then rest some days and record another vocal take!. The song itself is boring, and goes nowhere, without a brigde or chord progressions, it's all the same melody: 3/10

4- Unknown Caller (6:02): The start of the songs reminds me a bit of Pink Floyd's "Take It Back". But then is another song, and so far, the best backing "ooohhh" of the album. It's a mid tempo song, with Larry playing like "Running To Stand Still". The chorus is a highlight, and there's a nice bridge at the middle of the song.
... and we have another Edge's guitar solo! :applaud: 8/10

5- I'll Go Crazy (4:14): This sounds absolutely refreshing and beautiful, I dig this tune. The drums sound could have been better (too dry for my taste, like a marching drum). There's a nice change in the middle, and the strings arrangements like War album suit perfectly. 9/10

6- Get On Your Boots (3:25): The more I listen to this "song" the more I think "what the hell is doing this junk on the album"?. After I'll Go Crazy, this is an abomination, a rupture from the unity of the previous songs. CRAP, crap on toast. 1/10

7- Stand Up Comedy (3:49): Another rocker song, but with a stronger riff and quite catchier feeling ... until chorus. Up to that point, the song was going well, but the chorus is really, really bad. It's clear this song came from hours of jamming and rehearsing, because it lacks direction. Even with ALL sort of guitar effects, the song goes nowhere 3/10

8- FEZ-Being Born (5:17): First bars ... "mmm ... is this Moment Of Surrender part 2?" After a minute of filler, the real song starts. This is another overproduced and underwritten song. All those Bono's screams are completely unnecessary. At 3:27, neverthless, the song delivers. Love that moment with all those voices singing. But the last part of the song (from 4:17) is really from another song, lacking cohesiveness 5/10

9- White As Snow (4:41): The title suggest it: This is a slow song, but it's really nice. Sadly, the guitar work is absolutely uninspired and sort of ideas. It's a song you can listen to, but you can live without it as well. 6/10

10- Breathe (5:00): Is this as good as Pink Floyd's? Well, this song couldn't be more different than Floyd's. Bono doing Dylan. It sounds different and quite risky, I like it. It's not U2 by numbers. 8/10

11- Cedars Of Levanon (4:13) another song that reminds me "passengers". I dare to say that this is perhaps their greatest album ending since at least "Wake Up Dead Man". I think THIS is the direction U2 should take, like a mature band, playing great material, without thinking or struggling to play stupid "rockstar" crap like Vertigo or Boots. Simply a masterpiece 10/10

Overall: As you can tell, I have mixed feelings for a mixed bag. Not their "third masterpiece", but has its moments

I really wish I hated NLOTH, UC, Magnificent and Cedars so I could say i disagree with you on everything

You absolutely nailed it...

This is their most consistent record since Achtung. For me, there are no duds, no songs to skip - even after 10-15 listens of each song today.

On the last album, I started skipping ABOY, Yaweh, and Vertigo (yes Vertigo - sorry) about a day or two into it. Still liked Bomb, but didnt love it. Loved the concerts though.

On ATYCLB, I was skipping In a Little While, Elevation, Peace on Earth, and Grace pretty soon after it came out.

Prior to NLOTH, Achtung is the last record of theirs where I think every single song is strong. JT as well.

In an age of singles driven by iTunes, U2 has made a holistic *album* - this is an album - not just a collection of 4 singles and some filler.

The casual fan will likely not love this album and would prefer more Vertigos, Beautiful Days, etc. That's cool. The way I see it, NLOTH is a gift to the die-hard fans

This album is amazing. The textures that Eno created are astounding on nearly every track. I really have a new respect for Eno.

And to back up what someone else said - this is really Adam's record - song to song he just crushes it on the bass.

My first impression is that it is their most consistent record. On every album prior to this, I can always find songs to skip (I love them all, but if I have, say 40 minutes, and Pop is on in the car, I'll skip a few).

Listening to this disc, I wonder if they just added Eno's name to ATYCLB.

Seriously, I don't think he was even there for at least 99% of the sessions.

Listening to this disc, I wonder if they just added Eno's name to ATYCLB.

Seriously, I don't think he was even there for at least 99% of the sessions.

When I Look At The World sounds like Eno. Parts of Beautiful Day too. Other than that, I always said I heard much more Lanois in ATYCLB than Eno.

listening first time now. enjoying muchly. i like moment of surrender and unknown caller heaps! they're so great. i'm glad U2 still have it in them to make a fantastic album. :applaud:

The first 2 tracks are brilliant
the rest of the album i am getting into slowly
Seems very solid
Very happy so far
they did not fail to deliever

only just listened to it once but Magnificent :drool:

I'm only going to post the last session of this review:

MusicRadar's verdict?

Go easy on yourself, Bono. It would have been a very tall order for this to be U2's greatest album but it frequently showcases a band who are very far from becoming irrelevant.

A number of No Line On The Horizon songs make for a deeper, darker listen than 2004's How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb while the album's two weakest moments are arguably the most throwaway and pop-driven - Get On Your Boots and Stand-Up Comedy.

What's most interesting is how well the partnership with Eno and Lanois sounds here on their songs. The strongest songs are those where the influence is tangible, when before the band's experiments with electronic sounds on Pop and Zooropa Eno were sometimes forced and awkward.

The most intriguing moments here are where the Eno and Lanois team seem to be leading the band into new areas with their input as both musicians and producers, while U2's signature elements sound revitalised by added new soundscapes that fit into the sound to create state of the art pop.

Ultimately, No Line On The Horizon is an impressive combination of the traditional and the future

You can read a track-by-track review here:

U2 - No Line On The Horizon | musicradar.com

Why are people still posting personal reviews in here? Isn't there another thread for this?

No offense to aspiring music writers, but for someone who's looking for published reviews this is more than a little distracting.

I listened to the album with Media Monkey, which quite effectively starts each new song on the heels of the last...if you have been listening to this album in a way that puts spaces between the tracks, I recommend you do what I'm suggesting...the songs flow so nicely into each other!

My rating after almost 10 listens, if I have to factor in some of the 'lesser songs': 9/10. But if I take what a good 6 or more of the songs do for me and balance it all out (ie, if I could I'd rate those 6 higher than 10/10)....the album scores a 10 from me. Definitely a great album!

I'm only going to post the last session of this review:

You can read a track-by-track review here:

U2 - No Line On The Horizon | musicradar.com

it´s a good one. like it. by the way, i´ve read the brit awards blog from the NME last night and their editor meant that "no line on the horizon" is "actually, their worst" album. could that mean that the NME will a harsh critic? and give NLOTH a 3 ?
otherwise, i don´t care about the NME.

I listened to the album with Media Monkey, which quite effectively starts each new song on the heels of the last...if you have been listening to this album in a way that puts spaces between the tracks, I recommend you do what I'm suggesting...the songs flow so nicely into each other!

My rating after almost 10 listens, if I have to factor in some of the 'lesser songs': 9/10. But if I take what a good 6 or more of the songs do for me and balance it all out (ie, if I could I'd rate those 6 higher than 10/10)....the album scores a 10 from me. Definitely a great album!

yes, I noticed that Crazy Tonight flows straight into Boots! (listened with Media player-- I think if you enable crossfading with the value set to 0 ms overlap it will do it)

Why are people still posting personal reviews in here? Isn't there another thread for this?

No offense to aspiring music writers, but for someone who's looking for published reviews this is more than a little distracting.

For some reason it looks like the fan review thread and the press review threads have been merged.

Not sure why, I agree it's better to have to separate threads IMO.

The threads were merged. Not sure why...

can anyone burn the released tracks on to cd? I 'm loving the album and want to hear it thru my sound system instead of my crappy PC speakers! not sure if its protection on the tracks or cheap blank disks that keep giving me a burn fail!!
Will be getting the cd to buy on march 3rd! :)

yes, I noticed that Crazy Tonight flows straight into Boots! (listened with Media player-- I think if you enable crossfading with the value set to 0 ms overlap it will do it)

sorry, could you possibly rephrase that in the rare case that there are any posters currently reading this thread who may not exactly be "savvy" when it comes to digital music? :wink:

After 1 listen.

I think this is a transitional album, like UF was (it's not a reinvention like AB or ATYCLB). It will take time to see where it stands in the U2 canon for sure.

NLOTH: interesting reworking, good guitars and Eno keyboards. It's more fresh than NLOTH2 which was too reminiscent of Lady with the spinning head. Why was this not the 1st single ?

Magnificent: indeed, it is. Back to JT days sonically (anyone else feeling the I still haven't found what I'm looking for vibe in the lyrics?). Definitely the first peak of the album, along with the next song. Nice solo.

MOS: The comparisons to One are very apt. It's been a while since U2's had tracks 2 and 3 this strong. The only thing I wish for is that Bono had delivered this in a more J. Cash/L. Cohen style (edit: the vocal is growing on me though), and the "oh oh oh" part brings down the song a bit. The candidate for a future U2 classic. Nice solo, again. U2 should do gospelly things like this more often. Anyone else tearing up a little ?

UC: it's the U2.com choral singing clip song! Also good but is not quite grabbing me aside the chorus and solo. Again, JT-ish terrain for the band.

Crazy tonight: Coming from someone who enjoyed U2's pop songs on the last two albums, this one just doesn't do it. Abba wants those notes back, too. The weak link of the album. Would feel far more in place on ATYCLB.

Boots: works well in the context, I like it better now. U2 visits its Pop self.

SUC: I disliked the lyrics on paper, but go Edge ! I guess hanging out with Page payed off. Nice delivery from Bono too. Imagine Crumbs, but better and more fun and rocking.

Fez/Being Born: second peak of the album. Didn't think it would work as well as it does. Zooropa revisited.

White as snow: sorry. I usually like U2's slow/acoustic songs but this isn't one of them.

Breathe: see Stand up comedy. Reminiscent of Acrobat in the tempo.

Cedars: greatest closer since Love is blindness. Album ends on a very strong note.

White as snow: sorry. I usually like U2's slow/acoustic songs but this isn't one of them.

White as Snow really seems to be a song that a lot of fans are panning. I get chills whenever I listen to it -- it's soul crushing. Is it possible that many fans don't know the context (song lasts the length of time it takes a soldier in Afghanistan to die and the song is about him looking back over his life and the choices he made) ?

I guess I'm just drawn to the darkness of this song and some people just don't like the dark underbelly. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it purely a musical problem that the lyrics/concept can't overcome? (I happen to love the simple and stark music BTW).

I know the context. I guess if I had to penpoint the song's ... too slow ? Like Grace.

White as Snow really seems to be a song that a lot of fans are panning. I get chills whenever I listen to it -- it's soul crushing. Is it possible that many fans don't know the context (song lasts the length of time it takes a soldier in Afghanistan to die and the song is about him looking back over his life and the choices he made) ?

I guess I'm just drawn to the darkness of this song and some people just don't like the dark underbelly. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it purely a musical problem that the lyrics/concept can't overcome? (I happen to love the simple and stark music BTW).

I totally agree with you here. It's still my favourite song on the album. I could hardly bear to listen to it twice in a row. I think the song has a quality that you either get or don't, there's a darkness about it, and if you let yourself into that darkness and don't run from it, you can go into the heart of this song. Love it, also because of Bono's voice.

Personally, I have more problems with songs that are "too fast" and those that are "too slow". I think the meditative mood is perfect for that song.

Back
Top Bottom